Take Back America Video And Quick Thoughts

To build on Jerome's post below, after spending the last two days at the Take Back America conference in D.C., I wanted to pop in with some quick thoughts. First, a complete video archive of the conference can be found here. Perhaps the highlight of the conference, at least for me, was at the gala awards dinner last night. In a rare public appearance, Digby accepted the Paul Wellstone award in our honor with her typical class and insight (embarrassingly, the underdressed guy in the yellow shirt is me):

Also, here is the blogger ethics activism panel I was on with Matt, Jane Hamsher, Oliver Willis, and Jim Dean:

As for a certain distortion about Hillary Clinton and boos currently being spread around the media, Common Sense, Taylor Marsh, Seeing the Forest and, of course,Digby, have the real story.

I have two quick thoughts on the conference:
  • First, as one more in a growing number of regular gatherings and discussions that bring together a wide variety of organizations and activists within the progressive movement, at Take Back America we continued to witness the rise of a better coordinated, multi-issue, effective left-wing political movement in America. Just five years ago, the connective tissues between our various advocacy organizations, media outlets, activists, consultants, and candidates / elected officials were either frayed seemingly beyond repair or simply non-existent. Now, virtually everyone seems to be talking with each other, if not coordinating and organizing together. The increasingly frequent occurrence of progressive political successes is directly related to this development.

• The 2008 Democratic field is talking in a far more openly progressive manner than at any other point in at least two decades. For example, watching Obama and Edwards speak back to back, I was struck at how much more progressive their messages were than really anything we saw in 2003. In fact, virtually all of them seem to be openly identifying themselves as progressives now, which is another step in the right direction. This is also connected to the rising effectiveness of the progressive movement, and to a cultural shift in America that also seems decidedly progressive to me. Further, I think the netroots have usefully engaged in a carrot and stick approach with most candidates, first by giving them a lot of support in terms of money, buzz and volunteers and second by still holding their feet to the fire when they do something we don't like.
While there is still a long way to go, I think the country is definitely shifting to the left, and there is potential for much more. This is a good time to be a progressive.

Update: Obama wins the conference straw poll (PDF, second choice numbers in parenthesis).

Obama: 29 (30)
Edwards: 26 (28)
Clinton: 17 (16)
Richardson: 9 (11)
Gore: 8 (2)
Kucinich: 5 (6)
Dodd: 1 (2)
Biden: 1 (2)
Gravel: 1 (1)
Other / None: 3 (2)

With all the bloggers at the event, these results are fairly unsurprising. :)

Tags: Blogosphere, Ideology, netroots, progressive movement (all tags)

Comments

Re: Take Back America Video And Quick Thoughts

They also asked for second choice, and Obama won with 30%. Edwards was in second with 28%.

There must have been some significant crossover between the two. Hopefully the netroots supporters of these two candidates can start getting along a little better

by Max Fletcher 2007-06-20 11:33AM | 0 recs
Re: Take Back America Video And Quick Thoughts

whoops, didn't realize the second place numbers were in the original post

by Max Fletcher 2007-06-20 11:33AM | 0 recs
Re: Take Back America Video And Quick Thoughts

The Huffington Post has the video of Hillary's speech. If there was a lot of booing it certainly seems to have been drowned out a bit by cheering and applause. But what is VERY clear is just what a bad choice that Celine Dion song was as her campaign theme song (she enters to it.)

by Todd Beeton 2007-06-20 11:46AM | 0 recs
Re: Take Back America Video And Quick Thoughts

Well Hillary paid for supporters to go, and try to drown out the boos with cheers.

But the crowd is angry with her refusal to take responsibility on Iraq, she just blames the Iraqis for their failings.

by enarjay 2007-06-20 11:51AM | 0 recs
Re: Take Back America Video And Quick Thoughts

Care to expand on this comment? Or are you just being a smartass?

by LandStander 2007-06-20 12:52PM | 0 recs
Re: Take Back America Video And Quick Thoughts

I was perplexed. I thought the Sopranos thing was awesome (I was/am a fan of the show), and then the song ends up being Celine Dion?

Even though Journey reminds me of every college bar with $5 pitchers I've ever set foot in in my life, I think it might have been a better pick

by Max Fletcher 2007-06-20 11:53AM | 0 recs
Re: Take Back America Video And Quick Thoughts

I would have totally gotten behind her campaign if she picked Don't Stop Believin. But thats just me. And I did just graduate from college. Obama should jump on that shit.

by AaronE 2007-06-20 01:27PM | 0 recs
Re: Take Back America Video And Quick Thoughts

yeah it would have been a phenomenal pick.

by Todd Beeton 2007-06-20 02:54PM | 0 recs
Re: Take Back America Video And Quick Thoughts

Interesting that she didn't go with an american singer/group

by Quinton 2007-06-20 03:06PM | 0 recs
Re: Take Back America Video And Quick Thoughts

Just as long as she doesn't try to dance to it!!

by jaabronie 2007-06-20 01:37PM | 0 recs
Yellow Is Best, If You're Going To Be Underdressed

Except, of course, for purple.

The strengthening progressive tilt is heartening news.  Guess I wasn't wrong to remain undecided.

by Paul Rosenberg 2007-06-20 11:53AM | 0 recs
Re: Yellow Is Best, If You're Going To Be Underdre

I guess we know who Brian Williams was talking about now. ;-)

by zappatero 2007-06-20 01:07PM | 0 recs
Re: Take Back America Video And Quick Thoughts

Sooo.... who'd you vote for Chris??

by LandStander 2007-06-20 12:53PM | 0 recs
Re: Take Back America Video And Quick Thoughts

Yeah Chris. Who'd you support? I'm going to miss your blogging, btw.

by AaronE 2007-06-20 01:26PM | 0 recs
Re: Take Back America Video And Quick Thoughts
  HRC's so brilliantly strategized at every level. Have you noticed that her wardrobe now is ALWAYS a pant suit w. a soft touch somewhere near the top, at photograph level. The men's style oxfords she used to wear are GONE.
       So she's always reads visually as just stereotypically feminine enough to be unthreatening, but stereotypically masculine enough to convey toughness?
 I can rationally know it's pr stuff, based on awful sterotypes, and still I find it comforting to look at every time I see her in her latest iteration. Just like I was charmed by that stupid Sopranos "viral", against all better judgement.
by sb 2007-06-20 01:40PM | 0 recs
Re: Take Back America Video And Quick Thoughts

Okay since you went wardrobe and I am shallow, what's with the weird pattern on the blue jacket and on the yellow jacket I saw today.  It was wavy, not liking it, and I LOVE me some Hillary.  Otherwise it has been all good.

by Kingstongirl 2007-06-20 06:39PM | 0 recs
Gore was write-in in this poll

It is important to mention that fact, Chris.

by NuevoLiberal 2007-06-20 02:50PM | 0 recs
Re: Take Back America Video And Quick Thoughts

My understanding about the Celine song is that it was voted in not chosen by the campaign-

by Menemshasunset 2007-06-20 07:25PM | 0 recs