Michael Moore's movie rocks! As does Mort Kondracke's wife.

From the diaries, jerome

Tonight, I saw the DC premiere of Michael Moore's new movie, Sicko. At the event, I also saw and had a conversation with Fox's Mort Kondracke -- who confirmed himself to be a mindless hack.

First, the movie...Sicko was amazing. I don't often tell people to go see movies, but go see this movie -- and bring a couple of your nonpolitical or Independent friends too.

When I saw Al Gore's movie, I went in thinking "Yeah, I support the environment" and left passionately considering myself an environmentalist. When I saw Sicko, I went in thinking "Yeah, we need to improve health care in this country" and left thinking "Holy cow - we need a health care revolution."

See it. See it. See it. And bring your friends.

When I left the theater, I sought out Fox's Mort Kondracke, who I  had heard was in attendance. I wanted to see if someone from the TV arm of the Republican Party would at least be human enough to show some sign of sympathy for the many victims in this movie. I found him.

Me: Hi, my name's Adam Green. So, what did you think?

Mort Kondracke: It was a very well constructed piece of propaganda.

He then went on and on, repeating corporate talking points - many of which Moore had debunked in the movie. Ignoring the factual evidence that health care companies actively deny life-saving medical help in order to pad their bottom line (and then give huge salaries to their executives and to doctors who have the best record of hurting patients), Kondracke kept pleading the cases of big companies.

He said Moore's examples of great health care in other countries were bogus, and asked me, "You live in this country, are you hurting?" I informed him that I have health insurance and thankfully have not suffered any grievous injury that would put me anywhere in a comparable position to the people in the movie we had just watched. He didn't really have an answer for that.

I asked him if he has any factual basis or citations what-so-ever for the things he was saying in defense of big companies, and he told me that the literature is out there.

There was obviously no rational or emotional thoughts running through this man's mind. Mort Kondracke is a drone...a hack who is probably so indebted to Fox for giving him a B-rate punditry career that he is willing to play the part of corporate Republican without any open-mindedness or introspection.

I will pay Kondracke one compliment though - he seems to have a nice wife. She was there, witnessing our conversation. I turned to her.

Me: Do you agree with this?

Mrs. Kondracke: Well, I have more sympathy with the message of the movie than he does.

Honestly, that was very heartening. I don't know anything about her other than that one sentence out of her mouth, so if she turns out to be a corporate lobbyist or something I reserve the right to reassess. But for now: Mrs. Kondracke rocks. And she has my sympathies as well.

The bottom line: Non-open-minded Republicans will not appreciate Moore's movie. But it should be a revolution starter for Democrats, progressives, Independents, and open-minded Republicans. See it soon and bring your friends.

Tags: Corporate Responsibility, Fox, Health care, insurance, Michael Moore, mort kondracke, sicko (all tags)

Comments

Kondracke is a shamless hack

He once was a journalist.  No more.

by dataguy 2007-06-21 03:45AM | 0 recs
His first wife died 3 years ago

of Parkinson's..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mort_Kondra cke

by TarHeel 2007-06-21 04:08AM | 0 recs
Re: His first wife died 3 years ago

Wikipedia says Kondracke's new wife is Marguerite Sallee, CEO and President of America's Promise -- the organization founded by Colin Powell to help children and youth from all socioeconomic sectors in the United States. That would explain why she seems to have a heart.

Also says that she used to work for Lamar Alexander...

by AdamGreen 2007-06-21 07:54AM | 0 recs
Re: His first wife died 3 years ago

So, why'd she marry a corporate robot?

by Bush Bites 2007-06-21 01:31PM | 0 recs
Re: Mort Kondracke

I would love to read an explanation from someone like Mort Kondrake concerning their political conversion.

Here's a guy who was on one of Nixon's lists, originally sat in the moderate/liberal chair (politically right of Germond, left of everyone else) on the McLaughlin Group, now drones right wing talking points for Faux News.

Additionally, his first wife was a liberal activist but his second is a former GOP Senate aide.

I know that Mort was always mostly an insider than someone with actual core beliefs, but still WHAT HAPPENED?

by howie14 2007-06-21 04:37AM | 0 recs
He has been going right

for the last 15 years.

His columns today are right there with Bob Novak.

by dataguy 2007-06-21 06:34AM | 0 recs
Re: Mort Kondracke

He makes me sick when he acts as a "moderate" foil to that cretin Fred Barnes on FOX. At least Colmes has the decency to keep his mouth shut when he can't override Hannity on one of his insane rants. Mort joins in the liberal bashing so eagerly when Fred takes the lead.

by Pravin 2007-06-21 06:51AM | 0 recs
Re: Mort Kondracke

He's a cyborg.

Rupert Murdoch elimated his counter-productive "feelings."

by Bush Bites 2007-06-21 01:33PM | 0 recs
Flock of Dodos

I wasnt too impressed with Inconvenient Truth as a documentary. It was too focused on one person - Gore (and I actually want him to run, so nothing personal here). It got monotonous for me.

In contrast, Flock of Dodos makes it case just as good as Gore does, but in a lot more interactiveway (where the Kansas folk  in the doc stand in for some of the conservative viewers who may have been fooled by the same ID propaganda and would have asked the filmmaker the same questions.)

As far as moore?  Michael Moore's docs are always fun, even if I disagree with parts of his docs (I actually found the Charlton Heston interview part of Bowling for Columbine did more credit to Heston than Moore but then Moore probably illustrated one of the best arguments against welfare reform for the sake of welfare reform in the very same doc.). I am looking forward to watching Sicko. Our health care has problems.

But I am curious about Canadian Health care. If you watch The Barbarian Invasions, a French Canadian movie,  they make Canadian health care seem pretty limited.  The guy has to cross the border into the US to get what he wants. Is this indicative of a reality? Or just one fictional movie probably based on the writers exposure to some anecdotes.

by Pravin 2007-06-21 06:20AM | 0 recs
Re: Flock of Dodos

Thought the film was compelling.  But don't understand why Moore would provide opportunity for conservatives to describe as "communist propaganda" w/his 9/11-Cuba finale.

by Tony Rose 2007-06-21 09:05AM | 0 recs
Canadian Versus US Healthcare

I'm sure Canadian healthcare has its problems, just like any large system does. But their healthcare system leads to comparable or better outcomes and costs approximately half as much as the US system. If they spent what we spend, I imagine their system would be amazingly good.

Here are some articles reporting on a recent study that compares the US and Canadian systems:

"We're Number Two: Canada Has as Good or Better Health Care than the U.S." Scientific American, May 03, 2007.

"Better outcomes in Canada, half the cost," Open Medicine, April 24, 2007.

And here is a NY Times interview with Dr. Steffie Woolhandler that summarizes many of the arguments for a single-payer (Medicare style) system:

Heal Health Care System? Start Anew, NY Times, December 2, 2003.

Physicians for a National Health Program site

by RandomNonviolence 2007-06-21 09:31AM | 0 recs
Re: Michael Moore's movie rocks!

I too was at the premiere and it was excellent. I knew the health insurance companies were a pain in the ass but I never knew the extent they went to keep people sick.

I see someone got really creative with this video.

It really boils down to priorities and it's time to be courageous and make a change to this broken system.

by BlueCheese 2007-06-21 06:21AM | 0 recs
Michael Moore's movie rocks!

Did you see the clip of Moore talking to the 9/11 conspiracy nuts?  Why would he even waste his time with these wackos, let alone seem to give credence to their silly ideas?

by ditka 2007-06-21 06:59AM | 0 recs