The Best Days Of My Life

After spending all week trying to think of a poignant way of making this announcement, and drawing nothing but blanks, I have decided to just say it as plainly as I can. Today, after more than three years, I am stepping down as the lead writer and managing editor of MyDD. In a little more than three weeks, I will be starting a new website with Matt and one other partner, Mike Lux of the Huffington Post. Expect to hear more on that in the coming days.

This is not a decision I made lightly, or without real emotional anguish. It is not an exaggeration to say that MyDD has been my life for these past three years. For almost every single one of the past 1,141 days, I threw virtually everything in my being into making this blog work. As Matt filmed me saying in November, and as I wrote back in December, my existence has merged with the blog. When MyDD is doing well, I feel like I am doing well. When MyDD isn’t doing well, I feel like I have failed. I blog, therefore I am.

I started blogging on MyDD at a time in my life when little else was going well. My academic career was in the toilet, and the thought of further teaching was literally giving me nightmares. Financially, I was so badly off, that I thought I was going to have to move out of my apartment. I had gone on exactly one date in the previous fourteen months. Considering the situation I was in, when Jerome gave me this chance, I latched onto the site and worked on building it up as though my life depended on it. In some ways, maybe it did. In the movie Blog Wars, there is a segment where I am giving a speech and crediting Jerome for saving me. It sounds corny, and I cringed when I saw the movie, but it isn’t far from the truth. I will forever be grateful to Jerome, and we are still on the best of terms.

So, why am I moving on? I hinted at the reason in yesterday’s post, Expanding Beyond Just Partisanship. As much as I have enjoyed writing about politics and elections from a partisan Democratic viewpoint, my political background is in the social justice movement and decidedly on the left. I want to write about more than just elections and political infrastructure, and I want to explicitly work toward building a progressive governing majority. However, to do so would be to take MyDD too far away from its longstanding purpose. I have always argued that successful blogging is focused blogging, and MyDD won’t succeed if it loses its niche and its brand. Also, I want to do much more extended writing on single campaigns, ala Googlebomb the Elections, Use It Or Lose It, or The Inflated Clinton Poll Theory, and join in discussions with a wider variety of individuals and organizations in the progressive movement. Structurally speaking, that means moving somewhat away from the rapid, chronologically backward scrolling format of traditional blogs.

However, even though I am moving on, I will always hold Jerome, Jonathan, MyDD and the community in the utmost esteem for the rest of my life. Also, I imagine I will return to post and comment here from time to time, and that I will also continue to post occasionally until the new website launches in mid-July. There is no way I could ever entirely leave something that has meant this much to me. Also, even though I am “retiring” from MyDD, I will continue to work as hard as I can both within and for the progressive blogosphere community. I have every confidence that we will continue to succeed in our fight to build a progressive America as long as we continue to stay engaged in the fight, and as long as we continue to work together.

In the extended entry, I have compiled my favorite articles and campaigns over the past three years. Ah, memories! Seeing them all listed in one place reminds me just how amazing this time has been. To quote Gonzo the Great, I can sum it all up in one word: “indescribable.”

Thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone for making these past three years the best of life. Now, onward and upward!

Update: Thanks everyone for your comments. I almost feel like crying. You guys mean a ton to me.
2004200520062006 Major Campaign Projects2007

Tags: meta (all tags)

Comments

Chris Bowers Leaves MyDD
Good luck Chris. You've already helped bring about a positive change in our country and I'm sure that you'll continue to do so at your new address.
by Curt Matlock 2007-06-15 09:05AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

Congratulations! This site has changed the party and the country for the better. Best of luck with the new site, it'll be bookmarked.

by OtH 2007-06-15 09:08AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

I hope the new project works out great for you, Chris.

by Steve M 2007-06-15 09:09AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

Thanks for all you do. Good luck.

That was definitely a big hint you gave yesterday!

by adamterando 2007-06-15 09:09AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

I've been reading MYDD coming up on two years now. I must say, as someone who is still developing his ideology and political thinking, your posts have probably been the single most important influence on my views regarding political activism.

I'll be sorry to see you go but look forward to the new site.

by js noble 2007-06-15 09:13AM | 0 recs

Seconded.

What will MyDD be without you guys? I don't even know. I'll follow you to your new site, but I'd just like to say you all on MyDD shaped me as an activist as well as a thinker, and it looks like your new direction will continue and enhance that legacy.

Excelsior!

by sayhar 2007-06-15 10:16AM | 0 recs

Thirded,

I'm not worried about MyDD, though - there are many talented folks to draw upon here.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing what Chris and Matt create. I'm sure it'll be a bright new jewel in the left blogosphere's crown.

by Malacandra 2007-06-16 07:04AM | 0 recs
Wow

I'll never forget your advice on how to become a full time blogger. That was priceless. You're my favorite full time blogger Chris. I'm going to miss you greatly. You and MyDD are truly one and the same in my mind.

I'm looking forward to your new project. I'm sure you will do well and I'm equally sure there are plenty out there who will be certain to help make sure that you are sucessful. You are a credit to the blogosphere and an inspiration to many. All the best to you and thank you so much for the past three years of your life as expressed through this blog.

by michael in chicago 2007-06-15 09:14AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

Looking forward to the new site. Your poll analysis was what drew me to MyDD in the first place.

by Ernst 2007-06-15 09:17AM | 0 recs

Good luck Chris!

I would say that I am going to miss my favorite front-page blogger, but I guess I can just head over to the new site.

by KickinIt 2007-06-15 09:19AM | 0 recs
Wow

I can't believe it. Well, congratulations, and good luck Chris.

by taylormattd 2007-06-15 09:19AM | 0 recs
Damn, this sucks

I mean, congratulations, good luck and all that, but this sucks.

by danielj 2007-06-15 09:20AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

Look forward to seeing your new stuff.

by catherineD 2007-06-15 09:21AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

Bon voyage to the Bill James of politics.  Is there life after MyDD?  You bet.  I'll miss you.  I'll miss the analysis.  Oh, wait, you are just going on to the next good thing.

Thanks, Chris.

by David Kowalski 2007-06-15 09:25AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

Chris, you don't know me, I'm just a random guy hiding behind a fake name on the tubes, but you've  been a pretty constant presence in my life for years. You've informed me (sometimes infuriated me! but mostly enlightened me ...) and my political opinions and engagement.

Thanks so much.

by BingoL 2007-06-15 09:25AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

what he said goes for me too!

by aiko 2007-06-15 12:40PM | 0 recs

Good luck Chris.

by robliberal 2007-06-15 09:26AM | 0 recs
I think this will deal a very hard blow to MyDD

....without your incredible wealth of analysis I don't see where that extra slack and credibility in that particular subject is going to come from. You have been the face of MyDD for years.

by MNPundit 2007-06-15 09:26AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life
Wow, I don't really know what to say.
You're probably my second favorite blogger, behind only Hunter, dKOS's master of Snark.  I've always loved your insightful analysis.  I'm dissappointed that you're leaving MyDD, and that'll likely reduce the number of times per day that I refresh MyDD.com, but I'm glad to hear you're starting a new blog.  I'll definitely read you there.
by Kalil 2007-06-15 09:26AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

Chris. You gave me this opportunity here at MyDD, for which I will always be endebted to you. You, as well as Jerome, were the models for how I began to approach blogging. I still to this day enjoy your blogging more than just about anyone elses. I know I'm going to miss seeing your posts here every day, but look forward to seeing what you achieve in this next endeavor.

by Jonathan Singer 2007-06-15 09:26AM | 0 recs

Thanks for all your hard work.

I don't know you but I don't have a higher opinion of anybody I read on a regular basis - I think you set the standards for integrity and hard work in the blogosphere. I'm looking forward to bookmarking your new site and the other MyDD writers picking up the baton and continuing to do a great job.

Cheers.

PS - Good luck to Stoller too!

by joejoejoe 2007-06-15 09:30AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life
Congratulations Chris on taking on new challenges! Best wishes to you in your new endeavors. Thank you for your many contributions.
by WVaBlue 2007-06-15 09:31AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

Best of luck to you Chris.   I don't always agree with you but you're part of the team that has made MyDD my favorite political website.

by InigoMontoya 2007-06-15 09:33AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

You know that you are one of my favorite people in the world and I wish you the best.

I've been reading MyDD since before Jerome was lucky enough to find you and I'm sure it will go on nicely.

by Bob Brigham 2007-06-15 09:36AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

i'm going to miss refreshing mydd, or my rss reader, just praying for another chris bowers post.  Even during the times when I've been on "political overload", I still sneak peaks at mydd, hoping to find another one of your gems.

But while I'll miss "mydd Chris", I can't wait to see where your new adventures go.  From what you've briefly described, it seems like your new setup will let you fully embrace your goals.

One last note...your "Battle Of Civilizations" post has had the biggest impact on me of any piece of writing in the last three years.  I bring it up any time I have the chance.

by Ian Campbell 2007-06-15 09:37AM | 0 recs

Chris, you're the one that got me hooked on political blogging. I just came upon MyDD by chance one day, and your intelligent, insightful posts made me take this medium seriously.

I look forward to seeing your future projects. You're one of the most valuable resources the progressive movement has.

by Fitzy 2007-06-15 09:37AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life
Chris, I'll just have to add one more site to my regular viewing once you move on, but good luck and thanks for the memories. Even in the post where you announce you're leaving you must have put in several man hours backtracking your favorite posts, which is a big service. I kept running into old favorites. I've passed around Anti-Labor, Pro-Liberal to a lot of people.
by Kombiz Lavasany 2007-06-15 09:44AM | 0 recs
Oh no!

Say it ain't so!

MyDD has forever changed the way I look at politics, and looking over the articles you list above, I can see why.

If you're moving on to bigger and better, then I have no choice but to follow you there - so keep writing so I can keep reading!

Good luck to you, Mr. Bowers. The place won't be the same without you.

-GFO

by GuyFromOhio 2007-06-15 09:44AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

Good luck Chris. Sounds like you're going to continue to do some great things.

by lhuynh 2007-06-15 09:44AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

Wherever service calls you is the right direction.

by liberalminded 2007-06-15 09:48AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

Well, you will be sorely missed at MyDD.  Especially if you will be taking Matt with you, the two of you are pretty much the guts of MyDD.

Your clear analysis, integrating disparate facts into a cohesive forward-thinking action plan, that reflects progressive values, will be missed.

Your gift, to be able to write "integrated passionate analysis", analysis that is objectively faithful to ALL the facts available (without dismissing facts or perspectives hostile to one's values), and bring these messy facts and perspectives into a forward thinking, whole, action narrative.

So, bye-bye MyDD - it was GREAT while it lasted!

by jc 2007-06-15 09:49AM | 0 recs

Good Luck and thanks.

by Socks The Cat 2007-06-15 09:49AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

Thanks for all your hard work, Chris. We're all looking forward to the new site!

by College Progressive 2007-06-15 09:53AM | 0 recs

Holy shit.

Reading this I immediately felt a sense of loss, but then realized that I will just have to go to another site to find your extraordinarily insightful writings.  I wish you the best of luck in your new endeavor.  This site is losing it's most powerful voice.  Others will step up, but it will never be the same.

Life moves on.

by juls 2007-06-15 09:54AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

Chris, the standard that you've set for political blogging is a constant encouragement for all the rest of us just trying to fake it 'til we make it.  "Use it or Lose it" was a stroke of brilliance, and it gave some of the party elites a much-needed kick in the ass--it was a perfect example of how the blogosphere can nudge our candidates to do the right thing, without having to threaten them with primary challenges or cutting off support.  You managed to increase the Netroots' profile in party affairs while providing a tangible benefit to the party itself, which is no small feat and something future online activists ought to acknowledge and emulate.

Best of luck on the new venture, and everything else.  I'm on pins and needles waiting for the site launch.

by Jay R 2007-06-15 09:58AM | 0 recs
Well...

Best of Luck, and I hope that the continues to purr.  I like Stoller, good guy, but it was Jerome that drew me here and then you that kept me here, so I guess I'll be holding my breath.

by Robert P 2007-06-15 10:03AM | 0 recs
You have forever changed...

our movement.

I'm both happy and sad to hear your news.

Happy as it means yet another valuable source available on the web, focused on an area that I'm passionate about - social justice and building a progressive movement.

Sad because this community will be losing a powerful voice.  Though I don't always agree with you, I recpect your opinion and the way your thoughts have moved various conversations forward.

As my friends like to say, "you're a keeper".  We'll always keep you with us.  And you'll keep us with you in your new endeavour.

All the best to you...

by passionateprogressive 2007-06-15 10:09AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

I think we may be due for one more Poetry Friday.

by Winston Smith 2007-06-15 10:13AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

It sucks your leaving, but you got to do what you go to do.  Great job over the last 3 years... You helped get me passionate again.

Good Luck!

by yitbos96bb 2007-06-15 10:15AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life
Thank you, Chris, for all your work at MyDD. I'm very excited to see your next move. The situation you find yourself in re: partisanship and ideology is obviously one that many progressives are also facing right now. Gor that reason and others, I'm sure that your voice will continue to be among the strongest and most relevant in the netroots as it evolves - and it needs to. This isn't 2004 anymore, or 2006.
by tparty 2007-06-15 10:15AM | 0 recs
Thanks, Chris

You're one of the best, if not the best.

What's the name of the new blog?

by david mizner 2007-06-15 10:16AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life
Chris Bowers, Tim Tagaris, Jerome Armstrong.  You guys are the great part of the reason for my reconciliation with the Democratic Party.  I'd say I'll miss you Chris, but I'll just be following you at your new gig.  Congrats and good luck.
p.s. to Matt: sometimes I'm with you and sometimes you drive me crazy.  Isn't that what good writing is all about, trying to start the conversation?  Good luck to you also.  And thanks to both of you.
by Demo Dan in Dayton 2007-06-15 10:22AM | 0 recs

Thank you.

Hackett was fun, wasn't it?

Tim

by Tim Tagaris 2007-06-15 05:26PM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

Let's give a big hurray for emphasizing ideology. Let's give a cheer for thoughtful essays that make the case for Progressivism. Let's give a shout out for the best (and most accurate, by the way) poll analysis on the internet. Thanks for devoting your years to this. You've made a difference and there's good hope for more!

by billybob 2007-06-15 10:24AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

Good luck, man. You were part of a team that has given me the chance to express myself politically.

by Pravin 2007-06-15 10:25AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

Good luck.  My RSS reader will follow...

by KansasNate 2007-06-15 10:26AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

I will really miss your post on polling and political infrastructure, I can't think of anyone filling the hole that you are leaving. I really hope that you will continue to post on these subjects every now and then!

Good luck with your blogging and your life.

by Populism2008 2007-06-15 10:26AM | 0 recs

Chris - you've done so much for us. Thank you

by annefrank 2007-06-15 10:28AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

Good luck Chris!  I'm sure this move will help you grow & keep fighting the good fight.  I'd say you will be missed but of course I'll check the new blog.  Congratulations!

by howardpark 2007-06-15 10:28AM | 0 recs
Moving on!

Best wishes for your future Blogging endeavors!

I am sure we will be looking forward to your new site!  Best of luck and wishes for your new path.

by dk2 2007-06-15 10:34AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

I can't wait to see what the new site is like, but you will surely be missed around here.  You have certainly been the driving force that made MyDD such a huge success.  I hope whoever takes over can continue the great work you've done here.  They've got some big shoes to fill.

by Fran for Dean 2007-06-15 10:35AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

To echo another comment, you and MyDD are why I came back into the fold of the Democratic party. If dedicated people like you believe that we can leave our progressive mark on the party, then I want to be a part of that. Thanks to you, I am.

by LandStander 2007-06-15 10:35AM | 0 recs

You'll be missed.

More than any other bloggers I usually read you seemed determined to use what power you had to actually make change, like the googlebombs and 'use it or lose it'.

The trip you took through PA and upstate NY last fall doing canvassing for different campaigns was also just some really cool reporting from the field.

by Nolan 2007-06-15 10:36AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

Congratulations on the new beginning!  You've been a political mentor to me since 11/2004, and we took our country back.  Now that we have it, I agree it needs a big push to the left now, and I'll be seeing you at the new site!

My guess is that you didn't want to start with your House and Senate forecasts, and I don't blame you - they looked like incredible time-sucks (well, the way you did it, namely rather accurately), and honestly they were the only posts of yours that I would just skim, they just had too much detail for me.

Best,

by aip 2007-06-15 10:39AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

You were my favorite front-page poster. Good luck to you at your new website, which I will definitely visit.

by Korha 2007-06-15 10:39AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

Couldn't have said it better myself so I won't try.

by conspiracy 2007-06-15 10:57AM | 0 recs
phew!

I thought you were gonna say you'd decided to open a restaurant and star in a reality show!

Sorry to see you are leaving MyDD, but glad to hear about the new site.  Great news.

Looking forward to following your work on the new project--and to watching MyDD--once again--bring up a new crew to lead the national discussion.

by Jeffrey Feldman 2007-06-15 10:48AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

best of luck, chris! can't wait to see the new site. this place won't be the same.

by Todd Beeton 2007-06-15 10:49AM | 0 recs
Thanks, Chris

When I first discovered the blogosphere in the run-up to the 2004 election, myDD became my first stop during every morning's blog-reading, mostly based on your writing. I first liked the more hard-headed poll-crunching and electoral strategizing, but what gradaully impressed me even more were your ventures into more philosophical territory and explorations of the nature of ideology... and how to fight back effectively while constrained by the rules of the existing discursive arena. Unlike most of the rest of the blogosphere, you actually have a) a sense of humor about it, and b) the ability to incorporate some academic theory without being incomprehensible or pedantic. I'm glad to see you're ready to take it to the next level, whatever that might be, and I'll certainly check out your new site.

by Crazy Vaclav 2007-06-15 10:53AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

Sorry to see you go, Chris. You've done good work, and I think its pretty clear that you put a lot of heart into your efforts here at MyDD. Good luck with the new site! Make sure to stop in and check on us every once in awhile.

p.s.

Does this mean that Matt is going with you?

by mihan 2007-06-15 10:53AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

Wow.  Hard to believe you're leaving!  For the longest time your writing has defined MyDD and has a profound influence on the way we thinking about the progressive movement and its approach to politics.  And on a personal level, I very much appreciate the chance you gave me to front-page here at MyDD as well.  I'm looking forward to the next chapter eagerly.  Good luck!

by Shai Sachs 2007-06-15 10:54AM | 0 recs
Dammit Chris

Now you make me rewrite an open thread at my site, which was linking your earlier piece.

You'll be sorely missed.  Actually, you won't be missed, because I'll probably be reading your new site instead of MyDD.  You and Stoller were the only reason I read this place anyway.

by Nonpartisan 2007-06-15 10:55AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

I think this is wonderful news. Obviously a loss for the site, but, I am very excited and enthused about the new direction you are taking your work. It's time for us to start building a progressive, socially democratic movement. We must think big, and you seem to be doing precisely that. I look forward to your new project.

by eugene 2007-06-15 10:55AM | 0 recs

but, but, but, ...
If it weren't for folks like Chris, I'd never have gotten on a blog in the first place.  I'm still a relative newbie around blogs (especially compared to Matt, Chris, Jerome, etc.!) and while I may support change in our country (with Dumb-dumb in charge, who in their right mind doesn't!), I don't actually like change in my personal life at all.  but I look forward to Chris and Matt et al at the new site.  Progressive politics and the progressive movement is important to me as well.  so, I'll try to roll with the punches here.

but really, don't go too far.  I value your work and your insights.

by edgery 2007-06-15 11:02AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

Good luck Chris. I'll be reading your new site and I look forward to the many action items that I'm sure will be there.

by Elise 2007-06-15 11:02AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

I wrote about it in the DMI year in review report and I'll say it here again, Use it or Loose it was brilliant. It was your brainchild and its one for the history books. I am sure that you'll be making even more history thru your next venture with the equally awesome Mr. Lux.

I'll miss you at MyDD for sure. But I also have a sneaking suspicion that your next endeavor is going to knock our socks off.

by DMIer 2007-06-15 11:03AM | 0 recs

::sniff, sniff::

When I first started reading blogs in the fall 2003, the two I read regularly were Kos and MyDD.

But on the good side, I look forward to seeing you launch your new venture.

Good luck!

by KimPossible 2007-06-15 11:08AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

I hope in your new blog you talk about capital punishment and the justice system.  I recently wrote a blog about the nominees submitted by Sens. John Warner & Webb for the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. This is the kind of blogging I would love to see more of.  Legal mixed with social justice:)

by notime4lies 2007-06-15 11:10AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

Oops, meant to say I wrote a post.

by notime4lies 2007-06-15 12:27PM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

After November 2004, I was burned out and disillusioned about politics, and I took a job as a fact checker at a magazine.

It was reading your posts in early 2005 that got me back in the game.  Then just three weeks ago, you delivered the fantastic news to me that I would be a weekend writer here on my favorite blog.

You've been an inspiration and a model.  I'm sorry to see you leave MyDD, but I can't wait to see your new site.  Thanks for everything and best of luck.  I can't wait to become a regular at your new blog.

by Mike Connery 2007-06-15 11:10AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

All the best Chris, its been a pleasure.  Thanks for all you hard work for the party and the grassroots wile here; I know it continues elsewhere.  You're the man!

by BWasikIUgrad 2007-06-15 11:13AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

Best of luck Chris.  It's good to see another Liverpool kid doing well.

by Ron Turiello 2007-06-15 11:16AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

Job well done, Chris. Will see you at the new site.

by Benstrader 2007-06-15 11:19AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

Best wishes Chris.  I will be looking for your new site.  Just too many good places to visit.  However I value your analysis and insight.

Regards to those who are staying with MyDD.  I know this will continue to challenge our thinking and still will be a must see place to visit.

Good luck all of you.

by pioneer111 2007-06-15 11:19AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

no! what will we all do without Chris Bowers blogging at Mydd? hmm, i guess read his new site!

Anyhow, for whatever it's worth, your blogging has kept an active reader-base including myself, and I believe has heavily influenced both the blogosphere world of politics and the beltway line of politics as well ("Blogger Chris Bowers at MyDD perhaps is the best example of how clueless some bloggers really are about politics." - Stuart Rothenberg), included being the 2nd most quoted liberal blog after dailykos. Not to mention your insight and analysis were always top-of-the-pack (Jonathan has to pick up the slack now, I guess). And the "Use It Or Lose It" Campaign, masterminded and pushed by you, may well have netted us a couple house seats in the 2006 election.

The Democratic blogosphere has lost a powerful writer... but I wish for the best in your future.

by KainIIIC 2007-06-15 11:23AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

One of the things that many people don't realize is just how much dogged, relentless work blogging takes.

To blog in the way that Chris and Matt and Jerome and Jonathan have done here at MyDD takes sustained, intensive effort: any summation of your work on MyDD , Chris, should point out just what a herculean task you undertook.  The links above prove that point.

One of the themes you and Matt have always talked about is sustainability in blogging. I wish you luck with that in your new endeavour and also hope, for the sake of this venue, that MyDD can fill your shoes...albeit in a necessarily new way.

Thanks for your writing and your advocacy, Chris.  We will keep reading your stuff...I think you can be very sure of that.

Thanks,
paul
kid oakland

by kid oakland 2007-06-15 11:25AM | 0 recs
Ahem...

Shouldn't you be causing trouble over at the Great Orange Satan?

by Bill in Portland ME 2007-06-15 11:45AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

Have really appreciated your talents here on MyDD, Chris, and I look forward to seeing your work in the new venue.

by Books Alive 2007-06-15 11:26AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

Wow.  I'll really miss your writing.  Chris, you are much too intelligent and innovative to be a partisan hack.  I too want a progressive America.  I just hope that you won't move too far away from covering important and worthy progressive candidates.  Government is not the only way to make social change, but it is one of the most effective.

by cilerder86 2007-06-15 11:29AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

good luck in your new venture Chris, you will be missed, especially your polling posts....

by nevadadem 2007-06-15 11:31AM | 0 recs
Don't underestimate your effect

on the netroots and the effect you had in the changes accomplished in the '06 elections.

You are definitely one of the heroes of '06!

I'm sure you will do more of the same on your new project in '08.  Good Luck!

by magster 2007-06-15 11:37AM | 0 recs

Chris,

Thanks, sincere thanks, for everything you've done here to bring back progressive politics in this country. I don't want to sound all schmaltzy here, but what the hell -- you are truly one of the truly brilliant people to come out of the netroots and I am sure you are going to keep making irreplaceable contributions to progressive ideas and politics in your new gig.

by tgeraghty 2007-06-15 11:39AM | 0 recs
Bowers... Bowers? Oh yeahhhh...

You showed up at my door once to sell me a vacuum cleaner, right?  The belt broke a week later but when I called your "customer service number" I got some lady asking me if I was horny and to press "1" if I wanted to be spanked.  That call cost me 86 dollars, young man.

I shall dog you 'til the end of your days.

Good day, sir.

I said...GOD DAY, SIR.

by Bill in Portland ME 2007-06-15 11:42AM | 0 recs
top-rated diary at dkos about this

FYI:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2007/6/15/ 134238/766

by aip 2007-06-15 11:47AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

Good Luck Chris. I'll take you at your word that you'll be around, so it's not really goodbye and I imagine that some of us will follow your next venture too. So see you at your next site. Thanks for all that you did here. I learned alot from you will likely continue to do so. Peace out.

by cosbo 2007-06-15 11:53AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

Thanks Chris.  I'd say I"m going to miss you, but I won't because I'm just going to follow you over there and continue to follow your work as well as Matt's.  So Arrivederci and Ciao.

by fred 2007-06-15 11:58AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

I have no idea WHAT you are describing r.e. the new site- which is probably the highest order of compliment. Best of luck w. the trailblazing.

by sb 2007-06-15 12:07PM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

Good luck Chris and thanks for what you given to the   blogging community the last three years.  I've found a lot to think about in your posts.

I can understand your desire to expand in new directions and look forward to seeing what your new site will bring.

by vbdietz 2007-06-15 12:13PM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

Thanks for it all.  We look forward to reading and writing and building what's next.

PALANTE!

by Ruby K 2007-06-15 12:14PM | 0 recs
Chris Bowers has influenced us all!

All the best to Chris and Matt.  I became an active reader in the 204 election and you guys plus Jerome helped me keep my progressive sanity.  I know you will do great things down the road and that Jonathan will carry on here at MYDD.

by politics64 2007-06-15 12:14PM | 0 recs
Play muffled drums

Hey. The url might change but  ever since I've got tabbed browsing, I keep track of two or three sites at a time ....still

Play muffled drums.

by Trey Rentz 2007-06-15 12:20PM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

Chris -- thanks for all you've done. You can count on me to read the new site!

by janinsanfran 2007-06-15 12:33PM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

Wow, I don't really know what to say.  If it weren't for your and Matt's writing, I would never have started blogging.  MyDD is still the first website I read every morning.

by whogotthegravy 2007-06-15 12:35PM | 0 recs
All the best in all your endeavors, Chris!

Eventhough we've had a few differences of opinion in the past, I have always respected you and acknowledged several outstanding contributions you have made towards the progressive netroots movement.

You've certainly earned kudos worthy of a hero.

Best wishes to you in the new path and future ones. Cheers!

ps: I also recall your promoting my first diary at myDD from June/July 2005, in an FP story. Thanks for that welcome!

by NuevoLiberal 2007-06-15 12:50PM | 0 recs
Best of luck to Matt as well

by NuevoLiberal 2007-06-15 02:15PM | 0 recs
Re: Best of luck to Matt as well
I'll piggy-back on your comment to note that along with my good wishes for Chris I also wish Matt the best. I've been waiting for his own GBCW but it hasn't shown up yet. Matt tends to rile people up a little more often but he's going to leave his own big hole here as well.
by Curt Matlock 2007-06-15 05:31PM | 0 recs
Best Wishes

Chris, you and Matt will always be required reading. Good luck in the new endeavor and thanks for all that you do.

by Steve in Sacto 2007-06-15 01:11PM | 0 recs
Great work, Chris

You'll always be one of the heroes of 2006.

Look forward to the new website.

Donna Darko

by nonwhiteperson 2007-06-15 01:15PM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

But, you're not leaving, so it's not Good Bye, right?  It's so long, Chris, we'll see you around.

by Bluesee 2007-06-15 01:22PM | 0 recs

Chris, you're awesome.

I look forward to reading the new site.

by Neil the Ethical Werewolf 2007-06-15 02:13PM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

Chris, I'll miss your numbers crunching and other serious in depth research and writing. Best of luck with your new project. I'll be checking it out.

by Quinton 2007-06-15 02:22PM | 0 recs
Good luck, Chris, and thanks

I'm sad to see you leave MyDD, but happy to hear you'll just be a mouse click away.

Thank you for three years of some of the most level-headed, rational, and sometimes inspirational commentary and analysis I've ever had the pleasure to read in the blogosphere. You and Matt had a great good cop/bad cop routine that gave MyDD a special dedicated tab on my browser.

And thank you for answering every one of the emails I occasionally sent you on side-issues, and for taking the time to talk and listen to me at the Mark Warner party at last year's Yearly Kos. You were tired and needed a beer, and you still stopped and graciously gave me some good advice about running for my local Central Committee -- which I did and am now a member of, giving progressives a foothold in Frederick County, Maryland.

I see this as a sad day for MyDD at the micro level, but as a sign that the progressive blogosphere is maturing to the point that you and Matt have built up your own brand, and feel comfortable taking it to the next level.

MyDD will miss you, but with Jerome, Jonathan, Nancy and others, it remains in good hands.

Godspeed!

by Master Jack 2007-06-15 02:29PM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

Best of luck, Chris. I found this site when someone on DU told me you had posted a chart very similar to what I was working with, numbers evaluating statewide voting tendencies compared to the nation itself. I came over here and sure enough, there it was. You predictably had a much more elegant name, partisan index, than I had come up with beginning in '96.

I didn't always agree with everything here, primarily the understatement of situational influence from cycle to cycle, but overall it has been the best political site for several years, and I've sampled dozens and dozens.

by Gary Kilbride 2007-06-15 02:30PM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

It will be good to see something new.

by sterra 2007-06-15 02:34PM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

Good luck on your new project, Chris. I'll read your stuff wherever it's posted online.

by PsiFighter37 2007-06-15 03:18PM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life
Blow a tube Chris and Matt. (That's a phrase I recently coined to replace break a leg in the blogosphere.)
I look forward to hearing about your new adventure.
by greenchiledem 2007-06-15 03:44PM | 0 recs
Thanks Chris

Sometimes change is good. Especially when you're low on dough :)

by BentLiberal 2007-06-15 04:35PM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

You're the best blogger I know, so wherever you're goin', I'm comin' along.

by JoeFelice 2007-06-15 04:39PM | 0 recs

Thanks for being a leader.  No question that the progressive movement would be much different, and much worse off, without you.

I can't wait to see what you're cooking up next.

by fortyseven 2007-06-15 04:55PM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

Good Luck Chris, I want to thank you Publically, You see guys, Chris was the one who sent me my invite for BlogAds, I still haven't got a single advetiser, But had I not asked him, I'd just be running Adsense, Thanks again Chris and good luck in your new venture.

I mean that Buddy.

-Chuck Adkins
Owner & Publisher
The Populist

by ThePopulist 2007-06-15 05:07PM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

Thanks, Chris, for all of your good work.  And good luck!  I'll certainly be following your career.

Sarah

by Sarah R Carter 2007-06-15 05:20PM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

Good luck, Chris - I started reading MyDD in '05, when I was organizing in West Philly w/ SEIU.  And though campaigns have taken me elsewhere, in addition to everything else this blog delivers, your posts on Philly politics definately brought me back to the start of my "organizing life".

by FSpider 2007-06-15 05:24PM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

Good luck with the new venture, Chris - and thanks to both you and Matt for seemingly channeling every stray random political thought of mine, building an intellectual edifice around it, and infusing it with your passion.

I'll be looking forward to seeing what you guys do next.

by RT 2007-06-15 05:30PM | 0 recs
Gosh, I'm Glad!

I'm thrilled that Chris will be refocusing on what I see as a natural extension of probably his best, most important work--his prolonged, and detailed post-2004 analysis.

Maybe it will be something completely different, though.  It is, after all, 2 1/2 years later. But I like surprises. So, I figure, I win either way.

by Paul Rosenberg 2007-06-15 06:02PM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

I suppose it had to happen eventually... you have been an inspiration to me and part of my "growing up on the blogs." Thank you so much for your insight, your hard work, and your dedication. I can't say much anybody hasn't already said. All I can say is, thank you and good luck!

by afertig 2007-06-15 06:23PM | 0 recs
Congrats.

Congrats, Chris.  Even when (say, for the last 11 months or so!) I've been too overwhelmed by competing demands to delve in and participate, I always, always stop by each day to read and think about your insightful analysis.  And so now I'll have another must-read daily stop on my morning before-I-really-get-down-to-the-work-I-g et-paid-for procrastination period at the start of the day -laugh.  Good luck.

by arenwin 2007-06-15 06:24PM | 0 recs

The quality of your writing, your analysis, and the profound depths of your passion will be missed here on MyDD, but like so many others, I'll look forward to seeing what comes next for you.

I expect I'll be doing that for some time to come, wherever you may roam on the intertubes.

by boadicea 2007-06-15 06:32PM | 0 recs

Chris,

Thanks,

When history is written it will show very few were willing to jump in front of a Pendulem with a full head of steam. You were and did it with unmatched grace.

Who could ask for anything more?

by ctkeith 2007-06-15 07:18PM | 0 recs
amen

by epv72 2007-06-16 09:18AM | 0 recs
Days Of My Life

Hey Chris,

Thanks a ton for everything you have done, and will continue doing.  You are a big cog in the progressive wheel.

I happily remember us hanging out with Atrios on that glorious evening when Ned Lamont won the CT primary.  I had a keen sense that it was a seminal moment in our national politics.

And you write pretty good for a guy in green tennis shoes....

by global yokel 2007-06-15 08:15PM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

Shine on, you crazy diamond.
As a guy who's addicted to reading liberal blogs, I started off with atrios, dailykos, and talkingpointsmemo. And then, kicking and screaming, came mydd. You weren't shiny and orange like dkos, and you didn't singlehandedly kick off Watergate 2.0, like tpm, but there you were, and you became a must-read.

Well done, Chris. I'll continue to read mydd and I wish you the best. Congrats.

by InspectorHound 2007-06-15 09:07PM | 0 recs
This Just Is Not About Us, Chris

You know who the hell I am. This blog is certainly not about blues! And in the end it cannot be about you, Chris. You must live your own life, as I must live mine. I have been on MyDD forever, as you know. You know, I am not really part of the club. You know that I have never have been. Sorry about that. Matter of fact, I am starting my own progressive blog. I am not here to fit into other people's categories. Nor should you be. LIVE YOUR LIFE!!! DO IT ALL YOUR WAY. YOU OWE AT LEAST THAT MUCH TO US - AND TO YOURSELF!!!

PS: Extra credit!!!: Hopefully, these were not nearly the best days of you little life, Chris!!! Go to New Mexico. Meet Mescalito. Take a few chances. You have that freedom now. Don't waste it!

by blues 2007-06-15 09:07PM | 0 recs
This Just Is Not About The Mission, So Have Fun

Let me clarify. I see MyDD as kind of a 'tie & jacket' blog -- there is a degree of formality to it. Since I'm not a big fish here, I try to add a bit of wit, and try to get people to think in new ways. I suppose being leader of this 'tie & jacket' can give a lot of satisfaction, and be a lot of fun sometimes. But if I were a lead blogger in such a venue, I would see it as quite a demanding job. I know a little about that. Thirty years ago I was president of a not-for-profit corporation that operated a commune. It was exciting sometimes, but in the end, it was just work.

I'm sixty now. When I was younger I assumed I would live 'forever'. I pushed myself at all kinds of things, like organizing and such. I am glad I did that. But I honestly think I should have gotten in a little more fun. (I made mistakes, have some regrets, but that was unavoidable.)

by blues 2007-06-16 04:47AM | 0 recs
I Was Tired, Up Too Late Friday Night!

I think blogging is rather demanding, even if you enjoy it. It's easy if you just play at putting one one word after another. To effectively convey something specific you have in mind is always a challenge.

by blues 2007-06-16 05:55AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

Well done, sir. Keep up the good fight to reclaim our country. You speak for many of us.

by badgervan 2007-06-15 09:11PM | 0 recs
what to say...

I do not know you personally or even that well through the blogs, but I do know some of you. I know your writings, your thoughts, your wisdoms and passions as expressed here at MyDD. I have turned many people on to your writings.

You will be missed and I hope that everything goes great with the new site and your new direction.

What is good for you in this realm is good for all of us.

Kevin

by kevin22262 2007-06-15 09:41PM | 0 recs
Good luck Chris!

I look forward to seeing what you do.

by PurityOfEssence 2007-06-15 11:50PM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

Raising a toast to you and wishing you the best of luck and happiness in your new endeavor!  Go for it.

------------egregious and lots of other firedoglake folks

by egregious 2007-06-16 02:14AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

Almost three years ago I was talking with my cousin, a college professor, about politics, and he asked me,"how do you know all that?"  And I answered "I read blogs.  Try MYDD.  Read Chris Bowers.  You are number one on my bloglist, and I am the number one authority on politics among everyone in my acquaintance, even activists, which I can't really be because I live in Europe.  But I know you are a kindred spirit.  It is like when you read a favorite novel over and over and see more truth and insight each time.  Thanks.

by prince myshkin 2007-06-16 03:52AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life
Thank you for everything. Your work here--the royal "your" includes Matt--gave me ideas, direction and focus. The 2004 elections sent me into a serious real depression, and this site has been therapy by showing the way to political change and the specific accomplishments and opportunities that mark the coming of that change. I've tried to plug in where I could in my own small ways.
Best wishes at the new site, and I will be stopping by.
by johnalive 2007-06-16 04:09AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

Congrats. MyDD's vastly improved my knowledge of American politics and changed the way I think about a lot of activism. I'll be reading whatever you do next eagerly.

by Englishlefty 2007-06-16 04:25AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

re: the new site - I want to see a site format that doesn't rely so heavily on the "newness" of a post, but instead builds upon themes previously iterated. They may be very short-lived themes on occasion (as events come and go), but at least there would not be the irrelevance which afflicts a previous weeks posts. Also, where should someone go to discuss PRINCIPLES behind political positions? Please try and take this account for the future. I wish you luck - some of your posts have been gratifyingly insightful....

by Danothebaldyheid 2007-06-16 04:37AM | 0 recs
Wow

am honestly pretty speechless and took almost a day to think about what to write.

When I met you in PA8 i had a vague notion of what blogs were.  Late nights of talking with you and crashing with 5 people in a shitty apartment opened my eyes to their limitless possibilities.

Every campaign I've worked on since then I've tried to incorporate to the best of my abilities what we learned from each other and worked on together.

While it is bittersweet, I cannot wait to see what new projects, ideas, and technologies that you and Stoller are going to unveil and i look forward to working with them.

We've worked together on a bunch of campaigns now, disagreed on lots of things, and i look forward to continuing that!

by epv72 2007-06-16 07:05AM | 0 recs
First met Chris (and Mark) at DL Rochester

We were talking about politics and 2006 races and it put me at ease knowing there are genuine people who exemplify their decency, passion and love for our nation - not just in words, but in their actions as bloggers.

It is a honor to meet you Chris and to blog with you and everyone else on Mydd.com.

You will surely be missed on Mydd.com. Stop in and say Hi from time to time.

All the best in your future endeavors. Peace.

Optimusprime

by optimusprime 2007-06-16 07:55AM | 0 recs
The Best Days Of My Life

Well you gave more to us than we ever could give back. Well, I think the best days of your life are still ahead of you. When we take back the country from the Reeps and the DLC, you and Matt will a major reason for our victory. Good Luck Chris and Matt.

by HCLiberal 2007-06-16 10:16AM | 0 recs
best wishes!

You've done great work, and I look forward to your new project.

by John DE 2007-06-16 10:58AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

We'll miss you and Matt. Looking at that list reminds me of the incredible work you've done for our party and the entire progressive movement over the last few years. You should be proud.

by blueflame 2007-06-16 01:29PM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

You had more effect on the 2006 elections in a week than most people will have on anything in their lives...you will be sorely missed, but I look forward to seeing what you've got in store.

by bosdcla14 2007-06-16 01:39PM | 0 recs
Use it or Lose it

Puts you in the Hall of Fame.   Keep it up!

by drowsy 2007-06-16 01:48PM | 0 recs
Best of luck Chris

I'm sure your next project will be a blast.

Someone once said: After Kant, we could never do philosophy the same way again.

You've done that to politics. After following your work for three years I will never do politics the same way again. Soon, neither will the rest of the progressive movement. You blazed a pretty good trail here. Go blaze another, just get paid a little more!

by msnook 2007-06-17 12:14AM | 0 recs
I'll never forget...

the time you praised "metonym-phD-to-be"'s name and diary entry...

http://mydd.com/story/2005/8/19/125426/8 56

and single-handedly inflated the head of my most beloved grad-student... metonym... may his moniker rest in peace.

by NCDem 2007-06-18 11:58AM | 0 recs

by 51lenovo 2007-12-11 04:35AM | 0 recs

How To Lose 1 Pound

by abdullah 2008-03-04 05:28AM | 0 recs

would you like to decrease disturb weight, see How To Lose 1 Pound project

by abdullah 2008-03-04 06:01AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

Thanks you for your great idea Bowers, and i look forward to continuing that!, sometimes we need to void some matter to get other great thing

by abdullah 2008-03-04 06:20AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

Thanks you for your great idea Bowers, and i look forward to continuing that!

The Programmer Thoriq,
currently working on How To Lose 1 Pound  Project, i gave you link : How To Lose 1 Pound.

by abdullah 2008-03-04 06:34AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

Thanks you for your great idea Bowers, and i look forward to continuing that!

The Programmer Thoriq,
currently working on How To Lose 1 Pound

by abdullah 2008-03-04 06:40AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

Thanks you for your great idea Bowers, and i look forward to continuing that!

Abdullah Programmer How To Lose 1 Pound Project

by abdullah 2008-03-04 06:48AM | 0 recs
Re: The Best Days Of My Life

Thanks for share your memories,
Many people will walk in and out of your life but only true friends will leave footprints in your heart.

Salim