She's Smart!

As I've said before, Clinton is a hawk.  But that does not mean that she's stupid, insecure, and nasty like George Bush.  She's charismatic, warm, intelligent, and exceptionally knowledgeable.  Here's a standard account of her impressive persona at a meeting.

While traveling during the past week, I visited a longtime friend who recently met Hillary Clinton. The event was private and exclusive -- only a few dozen business leaders attended, along with some spouses. Hillary spoke, took questions, then met with everyone personally.

During the Q & A session, the executives asked her some complex questions about technology, international trade, globalization, etc. My friend said her responses were in-depth and extremely intelligent. He was also impressed by the personal interest she took in everyone during the meet and greet session; she spent a few minutes speaking with each person individually, frequently asking questions that indicated she both listened to and thought about their comments.

According to my friend, a political independent who has never been particularly fond of Hillary, she was a huge hit. He went home ready to vote for her, and he sensed others in the audience felt the same way

Having a President who's really really smart is such a break from Bush that this one simple fact could override all other considerations by the base.  So many people - especially young women - are blown away by her poise that they will support her.  Because of the blurring of the candidates, personality could be the way that the Democratic Party is going to choose its nominee, picking an unrepenting hawk who is also an incredibly smart rock star.  The challenge of her opponents is not to denigrate that personality, but to point out that voters should choose based on different ideas about the country and not different cults of personality.

After all, a serious mistake would be to assume that criticism of her principles implies criticism of her personal abilities.  Because of the right-wing smear machine of the 1990s, Clinton is considered not only calculating, but she is expected to be cold, mean, and dismissive.  She's not.  She's really quite brilliant and comes across exceptionally well.  If you don't believe that, as many of you don't, prepare to be blown away when you do see her in person.  The public has low expectations for Clinton.  We shouldn't.  She's amazing.

Update [2007-5-24 10:22:20 by Matt Stoller]: A lot of people are interpreting this as me being in the tank for Clinton. Not so. It's just obvious that she's very brilliant, and you're not going to beat her by pretending she's not.

Tags: 2008, Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, Iraq, John Edwards (all tags)

Comments

I don't like dynasties

I"m surprised more people aren't bothered by having 2 famlies rule the country ....

by TarHeel 2007-05-24 04:07AM | 0 recs
Re: I don't like dynasties

I am concerned, but I am more bothered about the prospects of a potential HRC administration being filled with retreads from the lackluster Bill Clinton years.

by Anthony de Jesus 2007-05-24 04:35AM | 0 recs
That's What A Dynasty Means!

Check out the history of the world, pre-democracy.

Even when the advisors were brilliant the first time around, the world has a way of changing, and inner circles are the last place to get the news.

by Paul Rosenberg 2007-05-24 11:37AM | 0 recs
Re: I don't like dynasties

Bush Clinton Clinton Bush Bush? Clinton?? Clinton??

monopolies are the same thing as monarchy

the DLC are brokers for corporations acting anti-democracy ( Clinton is broker for multi-national global corporate plutocracy - Hillary is campaigning like Arnold who is positioning for his next political move - he has to get Dem votes to take Barbara Boxers Senate seat or become Mayor of Los Angeles ) Bill Clinton was conservative corporatist and Hillary more so ....

onto Dem politics:

Pelosi and the Democratic leaders pledged to force the troop withdrawal issue with Bush again this summer when the House takes up the fiscal 2008 military appropriations bill and a separate $141.7 billion bill for 2008 Iraq operations expected in September.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg i?f=/c/a/2007/05/24/MNGJSQ0N5O1.DTL

excerpt: ......Pelosi herself said she won't vote for the war money today when it comes to the House floor.

by dearreader 2007-05-24 04:49AM | 0 recs
Re: I don't like dynasties

I'm with this group.  If she were special in any way other than being a good politician, who can win people over with her magnetism - if she weren't a hawk in at least de facto service to the oil industry - if she were a real progressive - if she didn't practically promise to revive all that third way nonsense that helped get us where we are today - I might consider her.  But given that she's the opposite of all of that, I'll take a pass on her - even if she is really smart.

by eRobin 2007-05-24 05:31AM | 0 recs
Defining America

When America suffered from stagflation and the Iranian hostage crisis in 1979, Ronald Reagan transformed politics by offering Goldwater's agenda for change.  Reagan exploited the incumbents weakness to redefine American politics.

Republicans benefited from that transformation for decades.  Now that Bush has biffed security policy and alienated the middle class, we need to redefine American politics on our terms.

For all her assets, Hillary Clinton is merely running for president.  I am looking for leadership.  May be, Hillary should reread her honor's thesis about Saul Alinsky.  This is an Alinski moment that can change America for a long time.  One of the candidates has to make it happen.

by Hellmut 2007-05-24 04:18AM | 0 recs
if the war continues

to be the disaster that it has been going forward,  Hillary is the only thing that can keep the GOP alive - fair or not -  she excites them.

by TarHeel 2007-05-24 04:23AM | 0 recs
Re: if the war continues

Republican talking-point alert!

by jgarcia 2007-05-24 08:53AM | 0 recs
Re: Defining America

Speaking of Saul Alinsky .. someone is keeping his spirit alive .. and it ain't her

by Calvin Jones and the 13th Apostle 2007-05-24 05:58AM | 0 recs
Re: She's Smart!

Wow-Congratulations- Can't believe this story is on MYDD!  With people responding from sites like: "Stop the MSM HIllary Corporation"  you know the right wing swift boaters have taught the left some mighty nasty lessons- Clear, intelligent, analytical thinking is needed -We need grown-ups voting in this election-Please keep digging for truth-no more spin -please!

by Menemshasunset 2007-05-24 04:26AM | 0 recs
Re: She's Smart!

I agree - there's a lot of venom against Hillary, some of which is justified and some of which really isn't.  How you choose a presidential candidate as your choice is entirely your own, but I think that vitriol really has destroyed the political process in this country and it's all the fault of the right.  I refuse to take part in it myself, and I've really stopped listening to the kind of debates over whose candidate is better.

I am voting for Hillary.  I never was a huge fan of hers, particularly over her stance on violent video games, but I saw her on Chris Matthews when he brought his show on the road to my campus in 2003.  It was just before the Iraq war, and there were several protests of her during the show (no blood for oil, etc.).  But Hillary is really good in a conversational environment - she doesn't give the best rousing speeches like Obama, but she can have a conversation with you and it really shines on shows like that.  If she wins, it's not going to be for her stances on issues, but the plain fact that she can talk about many issues with intelligence and is willing to engage without being patronizing.  She seems just as much a human as GWB does, which is frankly, scary.

I saw Bush yesterday at the Coast Guard Academy and while his speech really pissed me off, he was actually quite funny hamming it up with the cadets as he gave them their degrees.  You can understand why those people that like him actually do - he seems human.  I don't think Kerry or Gore were ever able to accomplish that in their appearances, but I do think that Hillary will be able to.  Edwards has that kind of personality, but I've never seen him or Obama in person so I don't know how friendly they are with a small crowd.  Bottom line - the more people feel they can relate to you, the more likely they are to vote for you, regardless of the issues.

I think that's why Hillary is leading in NH - because small groups of people relate to her and that's what NH is all about.

by Conquest 2007-05-24 07:02AM | 0 recs
Re: She's Smart!

I think the netroots are probably going to have to come to terms with having Hillary as their nominee.  I hope everyone can begin that process by reading posts like this.

by Illustrious 2007-05-24 04:28AM | 0 recs
no one ever said

Hillary was not smart or not politically calculating....

only that she's a borderline hawk and can not possibly be the messenger for progressive ideals like universal health care.

Plus her funding sources make me leary that she would upset the apple cart.

by TarHeel 2007-05-24 04:31AM | 0 recs
Re: She's Smart!

In New Hampshire, we have know this about Hillary for a long time.  My first encounter with her was in 1991 when I was a volunteer driver for her. I drove her to a Rotary Club luncheon at which she was representing her husband. She totally impressed the attendees with her poise, intelligence, and warmth.  I decided right then that if she ever ran for President she would have my support and vote.

by gradysdad 2007-05-24 04:29AM | 0 recs
Re: She's Smart!

Yes, since '76 there has been a Bush or a Clinton on the presidential ticket.   At 63, I would hate to think that I'm going to see 72 with a Clinton in power, having spent a major portion of my adult life with one or the other in office.  New ideas come from new faces.  Also, what you've written here about Clinton's ability, I've read the same about Bush's ability. Yea, maybe you're right in your assessment, but a worse mistake is to mis-characterize Bush as stupid.  He is not, and this is proven by the fact that the lowest of those who committed the crimes at Abu Ghraib reflect his values.  His 'lack of curiosity' is simply a ploy to cover his sorry ass!  If you want to tell me that one is disingenuous and one is not, well, then I'm really baffled by your missing the problem with Hillary.

by Andre 2007-05-24 04:35AM | 0 recs
Re: She's Smart!

"I''ve read the same about Bush's ability."

You're kidding right?
I'm close to being 63 and I'd like to think that with age comes some wisdom- The world was a scary place for us growing up but we had no idea how much worse it could get- Has Andre missed the woman's revolution?   We are no longer extensions of our husband-we are separate individuals with our own thoughts and abilities.  Saying no more Clintons or Bushes is like saying no more Presidents with the name of John - Those who dislike Hillary so much that they are filtering anything that doesn't fit their profile is very dangerous.  At 63 you should know better.

by Menemshasunset 2007-05-24 04:44AM | 0 recs
She's Smart? Wow

This diary is one person's impression or opinion of Clinton. There are over two hundred million other opinions out there about her. That is what is great about America, every one is entitled to his or her own opinion.

My opinion of  Hilliary is that she is mean, nasty, calculating and lacks candor. In another other Opinion polls, about 50% of Americans thinks they will not vote for him. There you have it.

Opinions are a dime a dozen.

by mdiogu 2007-05-24 04:50AM | 0 recs
I know exactly what you're sayin'

My wife and I saw some clips of Hillary's appearance on The View, and both of us were really impressed at how warm and engaging she was. Part of it is the right-wing smear machine's caricature of her - it definitely lowers expectations of her so much that when you actually see her, she's not all that bad.

Hillary also struck me that way at the debate, at least in the beginning, but I think she was fighting a cold, and it showed later in the debate.

by clarkent 2007-05-24 04:52AM | 0 recs
Re: She's Smart!

Boy it warms my soul to know she gives all that exclusive attention to important business leaders.  We all know that poor people don't employ others and if we don't have very large business backing our politicians we can't expect to get any crumbs from their tables now can we.

by Delver Rootnose 2007-05-24 04:53AM | 0 recs
Re: She's Smart!

oh thats just horse shit - its a campaign, everyone needs funding, and they might be business leaders but you dont know if they are wealthy business leaders. Other than the OP no one knows their history.

I can tell you this though, i've been in the same room with hillary multiple times to hear her speak and answer questions. I am no business man. I in know way will give her the 2,300 max for primaries or the general because i simply dont have it. Lay off the snark

by sepulvedaj3 2007-05-24 06:38AM | 0 recs
Re: She's Smart!

I have been around a few decades myself.  I pay very close attention to all of our candidates; their speeches; voting records; interviews, etc.

Hillary impresses me the most.  To say she is smart is actually an understatement.

I long ago grew tired of those who say she's on a power-trip; or that she's too political, or too calculating.  She wants to win.  Everyone running for President wants to win.

Hillary will be a kick-ass President.  Better than her husband was.  I predict that if she wins, it will take less than a year for those who don't like her today to completely change their minds about Hillary Clinton.

by samueldem 2007-05-24 04:58AM | 0 recs
Re: She's Smart!

And by the way, thank you Matt Stoller for being honest and for sharing your honesty here.

by samueldem 2007-05-24 05:00AM | 0 recs
Fits with what I've heard before.

Someone I considered to be fairly savvy and down to earth was utterly mesmerized after meeting HRC. It wasn't just a matter of being star struck. He truly believed she had what it takes to turn the country around.

As for me, still untouched by her underrated personal magnetism, I don't have any big complaint about the "dynasty" charge. A good dynasty would be better than a bad one. But I'm not persuaded that triangulation is a worthy substitute for leadership.

by flywheel 2007-05-24 05:03AM | 0 recs
Does Smart Win?

I don't think Hillary is a hawk. At least up until 2002 hawks didn't support stupid wars. Fast forward to 2007, and if you're really a hawk you'd want to save our military forces from even further ruin. I'm not sure what the word is for politicians who continue to support U.S. quagmire deployment in the middle of the Iraq Civil War, but neither smart nor hawk fit.

by BBCWatcher 2007-05-24 05:27AM | 0 recs
Re: Does Smart Win?
Hillary's vote for the Iraq resolution was not a vote to rush to war- read it- She is not evil-she didn't and does not support a stupid war-
Not many people I know invested in the future for their children would support a stupid war- Please cut through the spin.
by Menemshasunset 2007-05-24 05:32AM | 0 recs
watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7gFu_nVH oI

it's clear she thought war was inevitable...

by TarHeel 2007-05-24 05:44AM | 0 recs
Re: watch this

she also says the international community would not deal with Saddam

by TarHeel 2007-05-24 05:44AM | 0 recs
Re: She's Smart!

smart, OK, but is she wise? does she have good judgment?

history is full of smart people doing the wrong thing.

by mightymouse 2007-05-24 05:31AM | 0 recs

Exactly.

by horizonr 2007-05-24 07:55AM | 0 recs
She'll Get The Deck Chairs On the Titanic Perfect!

I've never doubted that Hillary Clinton was smart.  Nor have I doubted that the rightwing personal attacks were lies. (When are they not?)

But those questions are truly irrelevant for me.  America is in multi-crisis mode, and Clinton is the Dem's establishment candidate par excellence.  She's everything Joe Biden wishes he could be.

And that's just pathetic.

Not as a person.  But in terms of the leadership our situtation requires.  This is how countries fall apart.  It's how empires fall, and regional powers lose their historical advantages.  Crises arise, and the leadership machine tosses out one of its best, when what is needed is someone who's absolutely allergic to the kool aid.

Whoever that is, one thing's for sure: It's not Hillary.

by Paul Rosenberg 2007-05-24 11:47AM | 0 recs
Re: She's Smart!

I think shes much better then the opinion of her on the blogs, but i still would not vote for her over 4 or 5 of the other candidates.  They just represent me better.

by Socks The Cat 2007-05-24 05:35AM | 0 recs
Re: She's Smart!

Gee, Matt, will your next article be about Keira Knightley or Kirsten Dunst?  After reading the above I felt like I had to take a shower.

"...prepare to be blown away ... She's amazing."  Yuck.  Gives me shivers just writing it.  Didn't your fingers start to twitch when you typed it?

But that's OK, when the WaPo writes its next love letter to Mitt Romney I'll be happy to post those words here.

by PageUp 2007-05-24 05:41AM | 0 recs
Re: She's Smart!

I get it, because she's a woman.  That's what makes it funny.  Keira Knightly and Kirsten Dunst are also women.

Clever.

by Baldrick 2007-05-24 11:45AM | 0 recs
She's Smart?

You need to get out more, Matt.

by fafnir 2007-05-24 05:42AM | 0 recs
Re: She's Smart!

She is indeed amazing.  If Gore does not run, out of the candidates running she brings the most to the table.

With the expectations game the way it has been set, look for her to look good in every debate, and blow most away in townhall settings, when she does "Meet the Press," "60 Minutes," etc.

by georgep 2007-05-24 05:43AM | 0 recs
the only way Gore runs

is if Hillary is the nominee

by TarHeel 2007-05-24 05:45AM | 0 recs
Then Gore won't run.

If she's the nominee. He's not running third party.

by Nedsdag 2007-05-24 06:42AM | 0 recs
Re: the only way Gore runs

is if for some reason, the front runners bomb.

On Larry King - Gore said Very "forceful campaign, earned strong support of her constituents"
on a follow up question - Is she a good candidate? Yes

Gore isnt going to run.

by sepulvedaj3 2007-05-24 06:44AM | 0 recs
Re: She's Smart!
      She's really, really worked on her public speaking style and made it a lot warmer and more compelling. I'd always heard she was powerfully charismatic 1 on 1, but she used to be fairly awkward as a speechmaker.
          Part of what seems to make her charismatic is her sense of entitlement. She's not smarter, I would think, than the rest of the field, but she usually seems to feel like she is.
by sb 2007-05-24 06:00AM | 0 recs
Re: She's Smart!

Are you kidding me?  You've never seen her in person then.  The woman never comes off as feeling entitled - usually much the opposite.  She usually tends to be self-effacing and is quick to poke fun at herself.  She's got this gigantic legendary anti-Hillary reputation following her around and when you see her in a small setting you just don't feel it at all.

by Conquest 2007-05-24 07:09AM | 0 recs
Re: She's Smart!

I agree she's smart, engaging, etc.  She doesn't come across well on TV.  But, her recent video asking us to choose her campaign song made me look at her in a different way.  My personal feelings toward her got warmer.  Especially when she promised not to sing.

by Vox Populi 2007-05-24 06:00AM | 0 recs
Re: She's Smart!

The problem isn't that Clinton is a hawk. It's that she'll sell us out to corporate interests faster that you could put down your "vote Clinton" signs if she should get elected. We need a New Deal Democrat in the mold of FDR, Truman or even LBJ more than we need another pro-NAFTA, pro-Free Trade president.

by Stoic 2007-05-24 06:02AM | 0 recs
Re: She's Smart--like a fox after chickens

I'm less interested in her smarts, charisma, or personality and more interested in her character and her moral foundation.

As actions speak louder than words, her turnabout on the bankruptcy bill going from "that awful bill" as first lady to supporting it when she became senator says she doesn't really care about We the People.

The best politicians are the ones who can lie without any "tells." But when it comes to my BS detecter she pins it off the scale.

I want Clark but a Gore/Clark ticket would suit me fine.

by NeoLotus 2007-05-24 06:07AM | 0 recs
Re: She's Smart!

A very interesting and surprising piece. Kudos for offering a point of view very different than many have come to expect here.

by JustaDem 2007-05-24 06:09AM | 0 recs

Good point.

I don't think we know what we were missing by not having an intelligent Pres.  Now Edwards and Obama are also smart, so no big difference- but we do need to remember, as much as we hate dynasties (I do) and as much as her Presidency will be divisive for America (it will empower the noise machine for a new generation)...

Do I think she'll be a bad President?

No.  In fact, I think she'll be a good President.  Not transformational (like Obama or Edwards could be) but GOOD, solid, maybe better than Bill in the long haul.

Also Obama has overshadowed the significance of Hillary's run- we COULD have our first female President.  And that's pretty awesome.

I'm still an Obama fan... Edwards my 2nd choice...  but I'll vote for and work for Hillary in the general.

by jgkojak 2007-05-24 06:12AM | 0 recs
BBCWatcher wrote:

"Al Gore is brilliant. Michael Dukakis is smart. Jimmy Carter is smart. Does "smart" matter to American voters? Maybe it should, but does it?"
________

Smart, unto itself, is not necessarily going to make a candidate successful.  When it comes to running for elected office, smart means being a skilled strategist and running a strategic campaign.  This is where Hillary bests Gore, Dukakis, Carter, Kerry.  Yes, they are all smart.  But not all of them know how to play the game.

Hillary does.

The media will target all of our candidates and especially the Dem nominee, whoever that will be. But being a target of the media and becoming a victim of the media are two different things.  So far, Hillary has been a target.  She has not allowed herself to become a victim.  That is what I mean by smart.

And that is what we need right now.  And we all know that is what we needed during the last two Presidential elections.

by samueldem 2007-05-24 06:13AM | 0 recs
Re: She's Smart!
Hillary will destroy the progressive movement and Howard Dean if elected.
She will give the DLC an infusion of great power.
Is this what we have fought for and worked for?  More of the same crap of the past 20 years?
To be ruled by dynasties and corporations.  To be repressed and movements to rebuild the dem. party to what it once was crushed?
No thanks.  If Clinton is nominated I will leave the party because if the dems are dumb enough to choose her over better candidates and are determined to cut their throats, have a republican and republican lite parties only, then, there is no reason for me to give anything to our destruction.
They can deal with their own stupidity knowing this would happen but, still determined to commit political suicide.
by vwcat 2007-05-24 06:17AM | 0 recs
Re: She's Smart!

Oh, and Matt, she may be smart but, she is of very low character!

by vwcat 2007-05-24 06:22AM | 0 recs

Yes, that's right.

by Matt Stoller 2007-05-24 06:23AM | 0 recs
What will she do for progressives?

I would love to see what your take about that question, Matt.  It may be correct that Hillary is unstopable.  On the other hand, everyone said that she would inevitably be the top fundraiser and we all know how that turned out.

Regardless, we may have to adapt to a Hillary candidacy.  If Hillary gets elected, which concessions can we extract from her?  Is she going to get on top of health care, housing, or higher education inflation?  Will we finally get universal health insurance?  Is she going to move public campaign financing?  What about union rights?

What prospects are there to push a progressive agenda if Hillary gets nominated?  What issues have the best chances of success?

I would be very interested in your thoughts.  It would be even better if Hillary did a guest post about her relationship and commitment to the progressive issue.

It would be wonderful if you issued an invitation to her.  Then it's up to her to decide if she wants to demonstrate some commitment.

by Hellmut 2007-05-24 07:51AM | 0 recs
Re: She's Smart!
Low character?  Someone who has spent a lifetime in public service working on behalf of the disenfranchised and poor?  Obviously you have no idea what the true meaning of character is. Swiftboating Hillary Clinton is bad for our party, bad for progressives and could ultimately destroy our country-especially if she is our candidate and what you do now tarnishes her.  Remember Maureen Dowd made quite a funny about how Al Gore invented the internet etc.
If you don't know the truth from a primary source do not spread innuendo and rumor-that's a good rule for a journalist to follow- anybody for that matter.
by Menemshasunset 2007-05-24 12:13PM | 0 recs
Re: She's Smart!

That is a good piece Matt.

by robliberal 2007-05-24 06:30AM | 0 recs
Re: She's Smart!

Big deal.  It is no surprise.  I have had the impression for years that she does well one on one and in small groups but I have yet to see her do well before a large group.  In addition, she has a basic dishonesty that is calculating.  I don't care how someone parses their words in order to avoid technically lying, it is still deceit.  Hillary is not what I am looking for.  I don't know that any of the current crop is what I am looking for so I guess I will have to settle but I don't want to settle for Hillary.

by msstaley 2007-05-24 06:30AM | 0 recs
Re: She's Smart!

Yea, well I don't see a dime's worth of difference between her and her husband.  but here's the problem: the place we are at now is the result of all those who held power up to this point.  Iraq is partially the result of the Clinton presidency (another whole story!) and if we're to turn it around, we need a change, and I think a drastic change.  It would be a shame to put someone in who is at best, in the right to left perspective, a centrist (Hillary Clinton), when the American electorate is (IMO) moving most decidedly to the left.  Here's a metaphor: the American public may be ready to accept one payer, non-insurance company health care, and Clinton will put her considerable hard head into making sure that insurance companies cover everybody.  Think of it this way: she will insure that the current 30 percent overhead for health care stays in place while covering everybody, when the electorate is ready to see the difference between the 3 % overhead in Medicare and that 30 %.  And what we can do with the 27 % difference.  Maybe her magnanimous personality might convince the insurance companies, but really we could do so much better.

by Andre 2007-05-24 06:41AM | 0 recs
Re: She's Smart!

"She's charismatic, warm, intelligent, and exceptionally knowledgeable."

I guess you haven't seen the Code Pink youtube video of her restraining her listening, warm, and patient self...

Or, (with the exception of doing a v. short stint on Firedoglake), completely ignoring the netroots of the Democratic Party with contempt.  A President in waiting where honest and hard questions are something to be looked down upon. ummm...

I think she's smart, but also crafty.  Crafty is also good, depending on who's benefitting from the gameplan. I also believe she knows where to invest her money in consultants and political allies, but again for who's benefit.  Is her money being used for building a better country, fixing the mistakes of the past, or to further the Clinton legacy of 'completely' merging the Democratic Party with the corporate world? Looking at her many 'expensive' ex-Clinton advisors, I wonder.

I've seen no evidence of strength and leadership outside her beltway faction.  No evidence of being a principled politican to the people when she could have called out what Bush was able to do for seven 'unchecked' seven years.  Feingold found a way, why didn't she?  In fact, in one area (Iraq) where America, the world has screamed out for rational voices, collective opposition she has often backed the President  - bad move, bad track record IMO.

by SandThroughTheEyeGlass 2007-05-24 07:01AM | 0 recs
LUCKY TO HAVE CLINTON AS PRESIDENT

Nice post.  We would be lucky to have Clinton, or Obama, as President.

by ChicagoDude 2007-05-24 07:30AM | 0 recs
Re: She's Smart!

Ever meet someone who is just too "smart"?

by howardpark 2007-05-24 07:32AM | 0 recs
Re: She's Smart!

Smart people are not necessarily good leaders. Wolfie is a good example. Hillary voted for the war...and I believe that was a purely political decision. Most of us "ordinary" people knew the war was based on a pack of lies. If Hillary is so "smart" why didnt she know that this war was been promoted by a special interest group who had their own agenda for the Middle East.

by deevy 2007-05-24 07:35AM | 0 recs
Re: She's Smart!

She's smart so have a lot of other politicians who have run for the presidency.

She may be charismatic in small groups, but has not demonstrated that on TV or before large groups.

She certainly doesnot have the charisma of JFK, Reagan, Bill Clinton or Obama.

I have not heard anybody not say she is smart.

The question to me is:

Judgement
Vision for the country for the next 4 years
Ability or willingness to get out front on issues that are important to the american people.

So far, she has flunked those (4) tests for me.

by BDM 2007-05-24 07:56AM | 0 recs
Re: She's Smart!

Hillary was "smart" enough to jump on the post 9-11 kiss-Bush's-ass-and-do-his-bidding bandwagon. She's "smart" enough to listen to her DLC-type "screw-the-progressives" advisers. She's "smart" enough to bend with the breeze blowing at the time.

She's not "smart" enough to display strong leadership and discard triangulation. She's not "smart" enough to act as a progressive.

I am a woman and would LOVE a female president, yet the thought of Hillary as the Democratic nominee fills me with a sense of dread.

by Oregonian 2007-05-24 07:51AM | 0 recs
Re: She's Smart!

Oh, and one other thing: Hillary wasn't SMART enough to admit she was WRONG about voting for Bush's war of choice!

by Oregonian 2007-05-24 07:55AM | 0 recs
Re: She's Smart!

All in all, I agree with you Matt.  I've been anti-Clinton from the beginning, and very much want to see someone else get the nomination for a variety of reasons.  Her intellect isn't one of them.  If she is the nominee, I will enthusiastically support her campaign.  Just not now.

by dmfox 2007-05-24 08:09AM | 0 recs

I'm voting for Hillary!

by sterkt 2007-05-24 09:39AM | 0 recs
Warm and charismatic?

That she is smart is documented in her law school performance.

But warm and charismatic?

I believe she is doing her best applying techniques perfected by her husband, and I will allow that she might have a presidential quality, which is extremely important.

But put her next to pretty much any other candidate and I don't think a neutral observer would rate her high on the warm and charismatic scale.

Of course, I've never understood the people who insisted that Bush was charismatic either, when he always looked to me just a few steps away from drooling.

by catherineD 2007-05-24 10:45AM | 0 recs
Censoring v-games is not in my definition of smart

nor the criminalization of flag burning.

by Cyt 2007-05-24 11:11AM | 0 recs
She's the 4th best nominee

I'll never be convinced that she is anything better than the 4th most electable candidate running.

Her intellect doesn't matter.  All the leading candidates are very intelligent, and more importantly, the electorate at large does not value intellect.  Ask Adlai, Fritz, and Dukakis, and Kerry and Gore, too.

She is an intellectual "liberal enclave" (Illinois, NY, DC) politician.  She isn't that good on the stump - even though she is good in small groups.  And I'm against family dynasties.

Doesn't matter how "charismatic" she is.   Or isn't.  (she isn't to me.) But if I didn't think there were 3 other candidates better on all the above fronts, I'd support her.

by Andmoreagain 2007-05-24 11:22AM | 0 recs
Re: She's Smart!

I have met her and she is both smart and warm. I am not sure which Democrat I'll vote for yet but she is in my top five. Any Democrat will be better than Bush...he is leaving behind a big mess that will take years to clean up.

by gar2458 2007-05-24 11:40AM | 0 recs
Re: She's Smart!

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  Clinton is not currently the candidate I support for president, she is the only candidate I have met and when I met her (as passing as it was) I was quite impressed with her charm and IQ.

by Mark J. Bowers 2007-05-24 12:17PM | 0 recs
Re: She's Smart!

If you ask me, we should all be against kids getting their hands on violent games. That should be the Liberal position.

by ND1979 2007-05-24 01:47PM | 0 recs