Senator Clinton Out of Fox News Debate, Gets My $10

Here's what I got from a source in the Clinton campaign: "Senator Clinton has previously committed to Tavis Smiley's PBS debate and the South Carolina debate.  In addition to those two, she has only agreed to the six DNC-sanctionced debates."

Make of that what you will.

UPDATE: Ben Smith reports that this means she won't do the debate. My source was very careful to not say that, and I pressed pretty hard. I don't think she'll end up doing the debate, as it's not going to be much of an event. But this is not a rejection. Too bad, I had $10 with her name on it. Man it's a busy day.

UPDATE: Ok, a second source is telling me that the statement holds true. Clinton will do the DNC-sanctioned and previously committed-to debates only. That means no Fox News, as Dean has made it clear that the channel won't make the cut.

UPDATE, AGAIN: The AP is reporting she's decided not to do the debate. I'll take that as confirmation; maybe the lack of clarity is because she had it handled at a staff level. Good for her. She now gets my $10.

Tags: Barack Obama, CBC, Fox News, Hillary Clinton, John Edwards (all tags)

Comments

Re: Senator Clinton on Fox News-CBC Institute Deba
Obama dropped out of the Fox debates
www.politicalwire.com
by vwcat 2007-04-09 02:56PM | 0 recs
Re: Senator Clinton on Fox News-CBC Institute Deba

Yes Matt reported it pretty fast after he dropped, its a few entries down.  Btu he was on top of it and donated $25 to Obama.

by yitbos96bb 2007-04-09 09:07PM | 0 recs
Wow, what impressive 'leadership'

After Edwards again tells Fox to kiss off, and then Obama follows suit, Clinton implies that she might have done the same eventually.

Maybe if Rupert Murdoch holds another fundraiser for her, she'll show up and debate Britt Hume.

by MeanBoneII 2007-04-09 03:00PM | 0 recs
Re: Senator Clinton on Fox News-CBC Institute Deba

Nice RSVP (not).

FOX: Are you coming to our debate?
Edwards: Hell no.
Obama (staff): We've chosen not to attend.
FOX: Two 'No's. Sen. Clinton are you coming to our debate?
Clinton: I am going to the other debates.
FOX: But are you coming to our debate?
Clinton: I'm in it to win it.
FOX: Our debate?
Clinton: I'm having a conversation with America.
FOX: ...in our debate?
Clinton: Reply hazy, try again.
FOX: Are you coming to our debate?
Clinton: Ask again later.
FOX: Are you coming to our debate?
Clinton: Concentrate and ask again.
FOX: Are you coming to our debate?
Clinton: Better not tell you now.

Having a conversation with Sen. Clinton is like having a conversation with a Magic Eight Ball.

by joejoejoe 2007-04-09 03:13PM | 0 recs
Re: Senator Clinton on Fox News-CBC Institute Deba

joe, i am so stealing that. LOL.

by chicago dyke 2007-04-09 03:43PM | 0 recs
Re: Senator Clinton on Fox News-CBC Institute Deba

OMG. That was hysterical.
by Master Jack 2007-04-09 03:52PM | 0 recs
by tparty 2007-04-09 03:14PM | 0 recs
Re: Senator Clinton Out of Fox News Debate, Gets M

You gotta love that the NYTimes blog headline is "Clinton, Obama Shun C.B.C.-Fox Debate".

by afertig 2007-04-09 03:21PM | 0 recs
Re: Senator Clinton Out

That's the kind of leadership we need in the White House: wait and see what the other guys do, then follow suit in the most wishy-washy possible way.

Honestly, is she focus-grouping her backbone?

by bluenc 2007-04-09 03:40PM | 0 recs
Re: Senator Clinton Out

And what do you call Obama's lack of leadership on healthcare?  And his wishy washy give up the fight attitude to the Iraq supplemental veto?  How is he different than Carl Levin?

I wouldn't mind the criticizism of Hillary Clinton, except for the the double standard displayed by far too many of his supporters toward Obama, who is forgiven at this point for far too much for his lack of leadership and mouthing of Republican talking points.  As Matt says he acts like a disinterested observer rather than a forceful progressive leader.

Supporters who support potential glass candidates shouldn't throw stones.

Only Edwards supporters have a leg to stand on.

by debcoop 2007-04-09 06:44PM | 0 recs
Re: Senator Clinton Out

I wouldn't let your choices be dictated by the spite and immaturity displayed by others.  Senator Clinton must be held accountable for her choices, just as Senator Obama must be held accountable for his.

by Matt Stoller 2007-04-09 06:50PM | 0 recs
Re: Senator Clinton Out

MyDD ate my first post.

You are right about accountability.  She is far too cautious and hedging about stuff like this.  A straighforward statement would have been better.  In other arenas, caution is more appropriate.  It drives me nuts.

But I do have to say that when she does do something forceful, I don't think she get credit or support...sometimes to the detriment of the issues we care about.

She challenged George Bush to sign the supplemental because Congress passed it because it represented the will of the American people.  The Cable nets were all over this stance by her and characterized it as a strong challenge to George Bush.  I think we might have missed an oppurtunity to move our agenda forward with someone who has a lot of traction.  (I know she also doesn't give up as I was involved when she held up the FDA appointment because of the political delays on EC -emergency contraception)

Indeed I think she was in a better position than many to have an impact on a Senator like Carl Levin. (And you analysis of why he said what he said is absolutely right...he remembers a different kind of Senate, when aggressiveness was counterproductive.  Also because he's a safe seat with a good voting record, I doubt he's had much interaction with those of us on the net). She might have been able to have helped create a climate as well as a utilized a personal relationship where Levin could have felt that he didn't have to be "statemanlike"

But to get back to Obama.  Who is going to hold him accountable?  His supporters seem to have blinkers on.  Between his give away the candy store stance on the Iraq supplemental, his lack of urgency on serious healthcare change and his utopian post partisan attitudiizing, he pales in conviction to John Edwards and in tough firmness next to Hillary.

When his supporters talk about him I feel like I'm back in the days of EST (it's worth a little researching...a feel good new agey, new consciousness kind of "therapy")

by debcoop 2007-04-09 08:13PM | 0 recs
Re: Senator Clinton Out

Whoa, who said anything about Obama or Edwards or anyone? I was just going after Clinton - I wasn't advocating for anyone else.

by bluenc 2007-04-09 08:13PM | 0 recs
Re: Senator Clinton Out of Fox News Debate, Gets M

Matt, if I pull out of the Fox debate, will you give me $10? I'm about to be out of work and without healthcare, i'll take whatever you've got. Hell, i will pull out of EVERY debate for ten dollars.

by AaronE 2007-04-09 03:58PM | 0 recs
Re: Senator Clinton Out of Fox News Debate, Gets M

Actually, I was going to ask why Hillary gets $10, but Barack got $25.

by jallen 2007-04-09 04:02PM | 0 recs
Re: Senator Clinton Out of Fox News Debate, Gets M

Hillary shouldn't have gotten anything. That irritates me a little bit.

by b1oody8romance7 2007-04-09 04:19PM | 0 recs
Re: Senator Clinton Out of Fox News Debate, Gets M

It should be pretty obvious.  He gave the first one $50, second $25 and third $10.

by yitbos96bb 2007-04-09 09:11PM | 0 recs
Re: Senator Clinton Out of Fox News Debate, Gets M

Oh, I thought he'd given John $25 just like Barack.  Thanks.

by jallen 2007-04-09 09:12PM | 0 recs
Re: Senator Clinton Out of Fox News Debate, Gets M

Well looking back, I can't actually find an actual amount... So I could be wrong.  I am betting though that Edwards got the most money,

by yitbos96bb 2007-04-09 09:41PM | 0 recs
Leader of the Pack
I keep saying Hillary = Fox so either I'm wrong or she must be suffering a personal crisis about now. I think Hillary was counting on Fox to take out an opponent or two. Now she'll have to debate on equal terms with the other candidates. Good luck. Edwards is the leader of the pack.
by anothergreenbus 2007-04-09 04:20PM | 0 recs
Re: Leader of the Pack

Please stop lying on Hillary. Please provide proof to your accusations. Oh, I know, you don't have any proof.

FOX HATES THE CLINTONS. AND BEFORE YOU ASK WHY MURDOCH GAVE HER MONEY? HE GAVE SCHUMER MONEY TOO. HE GAVE MONEY TO JUST EVERY POLITICAN IN HIS HOME STATE OF NEW YORK. STOP TRYING TO DISPARGE HILLARY. IF YOU DON'T LIKE HER POLITICS THEN DON'T VOTE FOR HER. BUT DON'T SPREAD LIES ABOUT HER.

by lonnette33 2007-04-09 04:42PM | 0 recs
Re: Leader of the Pack

Why did she accept Murdoch money? It's not like she particularly needed it.

Heck, making a public show out of telling Murdoch where he could stick his bribes would have probably gained her some money from other sources.

Same goes for Schumer, too, BTW.

by Master Jack 2007-04-09 06:07PM | 0 recs
Re: Senator Clinton Out of Fox News Debate

She's not doing the debates. MyDD.com is behind the curve. Making it appear that she is indecisive. That's just not true. Read for yourself.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070409/ap_o n_el_pr/presidential_debate

by lonnette33 2007-04-09 04:28PM | 0 recs
Re: Senator Clinton Out of Fox News Debate

Did you not see the updates in the post?

by jallen 2007-04-09 04:33PM | 0 recs
From the AP:

"The Clinton campaign announced its intentions Monday after Obama had let it be known he would not be attending the Fox debate."

Hillary had to jump the minute Obama pulled out. That's not leadership in my book.

by anothergreenbus 2007-04-09 04:36PM | 0 recs
Re: From the AP:

It's always something with you people. First, you question why she hadn't come out against the FOX debates. Now that she comes out against the debates, you accuse her of following Obama. Who the hell is Obama? He's a man without a plan.  I am so tried of this shit and this blog.

by lonnette33 2007-04-09 04:51PM | 0 recs
Re: From the AP:

Sorry to offend. Frankly, I will support Clinton 100% if she gets the nomination but many of us want to see some risk taking and leadership from the candidates. I haven't seen it from Hillary yet. I dread another candidate like Kerry who seemed to have pathetic political timing--always appearing to show up after the fact. By the way, Rove saw that too and used it to take him down.

What's good timing? Edwards responded very quickly to the two Fox debates and shut them down setting a new precedent--Democrats won't grovel to lying bullies just to get airtime. Obama's immediate smack-down of Australian Prime Minister John Howard is another good example.

That's what it takes to win (and lead). I just don't think Hillary has it. Speaker Pelosi does.

by anothergreenbus 2007-04-09 05:28PM | 0 recs
Re: From the AP:

Chelsea, is that you?

by yitbos96bb 2007-04-09 09:13PM | 0 recs
Re: From the AP:

SCREW YOU! BASTARD!

by lonnette33 2007-04-10 05:51AM | 0 recs
Re: From the AP:

Then please, GO AWAY!

And she did follow Obama, who followed Edwards.  It's fact in this case.  TO some it makes a difference, to you it doesn't.  I give Edwards full props for being the first and making it sick... I give Obama props for being #2 and pretty much putting it on life support and I give hillary credit for killing the debate for all practical purposes by completing the trio of Big 3 to drop.  If Richardson drops, then any potential dark horse with a chance (currently in the race) is gone too (given he dropped in Nevada, I would assume he will in this too) but this debate is over.

by yitbos96bb 2007-04-09 09:17PM | 0 recs
Breathtaking Leadership Strengths

Where would we be without her experience?

by Pachacutec 2007-04-09 05:39PM | 0 recs
Pathetic

Matt she did not deserve a donation in the least, and it bothers me that you would.

She did not condone the debate, and did not opt out. In fact, by the Clinton statement, she was never in!

It is pathetic. Absolutely pathetic.

by mattmfm 2007-04-09 05:51PM | 0 recs
Re: Senator Clinton Out of Fox News Debate, Gets M
I think they all did fine.  First of all Edwards doesn't have to work with any of the people in the black caucus so if he pulls out right away he is not going to offend a coworker.
The other two do have to deal with the members of the CBC and I'm sure they had to deal with them first before announcing so they did not upset the majority of the caucus, plus Obama is a member.
It doesn't matter what order they go in, the fact that they did so is what is important
by vwcat 2007-04-09 06:39PM | 0 recs
Re: Senator Clinton Out of Fox News Debate, Gets M

Yeah but give credit... Being the first to drop is brave, since the others could hang you out to dry.  If Obama stayed in, HRC would ahve as well and Edwards might have been made to look bad come Debate time.  Once Obama dropped as well, then the debate was done.

by yitbos96bb 2007-04-09 09:20PM | 0 recs