Obama Drops Fox News/CBC Institute Debate

Well this is a good sign, and I'd be pleased as punch to take back my Bar Fight primary post from earlier today.  I'm going to give $25 to Obama for this.

Barack Obama has chosen not to attend September's Democratic presidential primary debate co-sponsored by the Congressional Black Caucus Institute and Fox News, an aide said, effectively dooming the event.

Obama is the only member of the Congressional Black Caucus running for President, and his decision allows other candidates to skip the debate without facing criticism that they are turning their backs on a leading black institution.

Friday, John Edwards was the first candidate to announce he'd skip the debate. The CBC Institute is hosting one other debate, with CNN in January, in which all candidates are expected to participate.

"CNN seemed like a more appropriate venue," the aide said, adding that Obama himself had not called CBC leadership or Fox executives to deliver the news. "It was handled at a staff level."

The aide said that Obama will participate in the six officially-sanctioned Democratic National Committee debates, whose existence provided candidates a measure of cover to drop out of the Fox-sponsored debate.

Now we're waiting on Senator Clinton (and Biden, Dodd, Richardson, Kucinich, etc). Both Edwards and Obama were aware of this for some time, and it took courage for them to repudiate Fox News. And I like the staff level dig.

Tags: Barack Obama, CBC, Fox News, John Edwards (all tags)

Comments

Re: Obama Drops Fox News/CBC Institute Debate

Kudos to Obama. The moment he stops being overtly cautious the primary election over. Buh bye Hillary. There are literally millions of people waiting to support Obama. He has an extraordinary personality and talent, only the consultants can stop him. He should learn from what happened to Gore in 2000 and Edwards and Kerry in 2004.

Go Obama. Fullfill your great potential.

by Populism2008 2007-04-09 12:23PM | 0 recs
Obama's choice of consultants

I don't know how progressives can support a guy who feels that Robert Gibbs should be the SPOKESMAN for his campaign. If Gibbs speaks for Obama, then Obama does NOT speak for me.

For those unfamiliar with the illustrious Mr. Gibbs: http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2007/2 /22/134458/142

If it comes down to Barack and Hillary, I'll go with my Senator, but I'm still holding out hope for someone better: http://www.draftgore.com

by Jim in Chicago 2007-04-09 12:33PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's choice of consultants

God forbid you give credit where credit is due and instead hijack the thread to attack Obama.  You don't like Gibbs, then write a diary... You want to say, Good Job, but he should have been the first, then that's cool too.  But instead you post this crap... go write a diary about it; don't hijack a Kudos post on Obama.

by yitbos96bb 2007-04-09 01:29PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama Drops Fox News/CBC Institute Debate

Good for him. Slower than Edwards, but I don't think the result was ever in doubt. He's frozen them out since the madrassa incident; there's no real reason he'd start reasoning with them now.

by PsiFighter37 2007-04-09 12:27PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama Drops Fox News/CBC Institute Debate
Edwards was in a nice position to pick a bar room fight. Obama was slower but I think it is understandable given the hand he is playing. He is in second place right now and as a result is a bit more cautious than Edwards. What matters is that he made this move in good time to kill the debate. I love it when they amplify Democratic strength by acting in unison. The wooden stake in the heart of Fox News would be Richardson pulling out too. Hillary = Fox so don't look to her. Now I have to keep my pledge and make a contribution to Obama's campaign.
by anothergreenbus 2007-04-09 01:52PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama Drops Fox News/CBC Institute Debate

There is absolutely no way Hillary shows up to any debate where it's just her and the second-tier candidates.  It's a dead debate walking at this point.

by Steve M 2007-04-09 02:43PM | 0 recs

Excellent.

This is exactly the type of thing I like to see progressives do (and before anyone questions whether or not Obama considers himself a progressive, he self-identified as one at last weekend's healthcare forum in NH). Now we need to start putting the pressure on the other candidates, especially the ones who dropped out of the Fox/NV debate.

by remove 2007-04-09 12:37PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama Drops Fox News/CBC Institute Debate

I would think this event is dead.  The one black candidate, isn't going?  At the CBC event?  Not to mention one of the other two main candidates, Edwards?

Look to others to start pulling out.

by jc 2007-04-09 12:37PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama Drops Fox News/CBC Institute Debate

Have to agree... two of the three top candidates

Wow, maybe they were taking to heart in the blog when they asked what questions, criticisms, etc we wanted to say to Obama... most likely its read by staffers, but even the chance makes me feel good.  I'm just glad he did the right thing here!

by yitbos96bb 2007-04-09 01:31PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama Drops Fox News/CBC Institute Debate

Should finish my thoughts... boy I wish we could edit comments.... Two of the big 3 dropped out, HRC going is pointless unless she thinks it will curry some favor in the black community.  But for the rest, what's the point.  I expect Richardson and Dodd to drop now that Obama is out and Edwards is out.

by yitbos96bb 2007-04-09 01:35PM | 0 recs
Good move

I liked the staff level dig too, lol. I'm sure Obama will get getting some CBC phone calls though :).

by okamichan13 2007-04-09 12:44PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama Drops Fox News/CBC Institute Debate

For those of us who prefer to avoid the Politico (or who otherwise weren't convinced it was real because of the source), ABC News is reporting the same.

by ltsply2 2007-04-09 12:47PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama Drops Fox News/CBC Institute Debate

How long before Fox loses its last shred of mainstream legitimacy? Sure, we've known for years about its biases, and serious politicos have long been aware, but many ordinary Americans still mistake it for a real news network. I think we're about to see this change over the next couple of years. With Democrats giving them the finger, Fox will step up its right-wing rhetoric and alienate any middle of the road viewers they still have.

by bluenc 2007-04-09 12:54PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama Drops Fox News/CBC Institute Debate

I'm thinking this debate is just about dead as a doornail. And if Hillary decides to drop out, it's only cause everyone else is doing it, not because she thinks it's right.

by b1oody8romance7 2007-04-09 12:56PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama Drops Fox News/CBC Institute Debate

Exactly - has HRC been out in front on anything? Has she led in any substantive way on any issue? Edwards, Obama, hell even Richardson and Dodd can all claim to have carried the flag on something crucial for progressives. Clinton, on the other hand, has been content to follow their lead.

For me, the problem with HRC hasn't been a liberal/conservative thing - it's the fact that she just hasn't led on a fucking thing.

by bluenc 2007-04-09 03:00PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama Drops Fox News/CBC Institute Debate

Even if the debate isn't cancelled, it won't mean anything and probably won't be covered much anyway, since two of the three top-tier candidates have dropped out of it.  On the other hand, this could be the perfect venue for Hillary to debate herself on her Iraq war position.

by Fran for Dean 2007-04-09 01:02PM | 0 recs
On the Bar Fight

Thinking again about this, the criticsim of Obama's quotes, I still think, come out of his successful strategy in his life and work as a "consensus builder", both in Harvard and in community organizing.

I view that as his main mode of being, building consensus, in a smart and inspiring way.  And it has worked for him, in many ways.

And of of the tactical actions that a community and consensus builder must do, is to hear and validate objections to whatever action or direction the consensus builder is taking people.  It's like selling.

You hear the objection
You restate the objection.
You validate the objection, and the fear/concern behind it.
You neutralize the objection/concern behind it.
You propose how your action/strategy going forward not only meets the concern, but fulfills it in a deeper way.
You ask for the sign-off/sale again.

I probably have missed it, but you, Chris, etc, keep taking the quotes of Obama, without addressing the frame they come from, AS a consensus builder.  At least I haven't seen this addressed specifically.  And it matters, because you pull out quotes that MAY be validations of "authentic" concerns/objections, and then frame them as "buying into the opponents frame".

But depending on your perspective, the same quote could be "buying into the opponents frame" or "building consensus by validating then neutralizing an objection".  Certainly, the story of Obama's tenure at Harvard shows that the conservatives on the paper, felt heard, respected, listened to, "Gotten".  And thus the conservatives at the paper respected Obama, and dialoge with the "conservative wing" of the paper continued, without anyone being frozen out.

Now, like you - I'm not sure a consensus builder is what is needed, to deal with the smeart artists/partisans over principles, who now govern the Republican parties and their media allies.

I would prefer Edwards, who coming from an oppositional expertise - as a trial lawyer - is intimately familar with the strategy and tactics of corporations who play a zero-sum game.

And my own opinion is, that is what I think is needed to deal with the partisans over principles who currently are the conservative party.

But there is an open argument whether Obama, by focusing as a consensus builder, gets more people involved in the process.  That MAY be a more important thing to do.

I don't think so personally.  Game theory shows me you have to meet people who are actively out to destroy you, with opposition.

Of course, there is time for Obama to learn that - and in his freezing out of Fox News, it shows he is capable of this, when necessary.

But again, for myself, I think Edwards has more experience in the tactics of people being out to get you, as well as, in the last couple of years, being in the forefront of taking visionary and brave stands that have proved out over the course of time.

by jc 2007-04-09 01:02PM | 0 recs
Ooooo Goody!

I'm so happy to see Obama and Edwards on the same page. I love it when two great minds unwittingly connect.

by gatordemocrat 2007-04-09 01:08PM | 0 recs
Rasmusen:  2008 Democratic Presidential Primary
Obama Within Five Points of Clinton
by Lancaster94 2007-04-09 01:23PM | 0 recs
Isn't that the same Rasmussen that says

Edwards is the stead one, consistantly beating Giuliani and Thompson.

John Edwards 49%
Rudy Giuliani 43%

John Edwards 50%
Fred Thompson 36%

"2008 Democratic Presidential Primary"
"While Obama and Clinton are the frontrunners among Democrats, Edwards outperforms them when matched against leading GOP contenders. Polling data released today shows Edwards leading GOP frontrunner Rudy Giuliani. When matched against Americaâ??s Mayor, Clinton and Obama are essentially tied. Similar results are found when matching the leading Democrats against Arizona Senator John McCain (R). Clinton and Obama are even with the Republican hopeful while Edwards has an advantage."

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/Politica l%20Tracking/Presidential%20Match-Ups/Ap ril%202007/Edwardsvs.ThompsonGiuliani200 70409.htm

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/Politica l%20Tracking/Democratic%20Primaries/Demo craticPresidentialPrimary.htm

by dk2 2007-04-09 01:38PM | 0 recs
Re: Isn't that the same Rasmussen that says

Probably... polling against the GOP has been all over the place depending on the agency and the candidates.

by yitbos96bb 2007-04-09 01:40PM | 0 recs
Re: Isn't that the same Rasmussen that says

Hmm Rudy's Favaorables have crashed... EXCELLENT!

by yitbos96bb 2007-04-09 01:42PM | 0 recs
Re: Fox: The Right Wing Scream Machine

I have never considered Fox a credible source of news.  It has always served, in my view, as the propaganda arm for the Bush Administration and the right wing.  To call itself "Fair and Balanced" is patently absurd and an insult to the intelligence of Americans.

I applaud both Obama and Edwards for refusing to debate on that twisted station.  It is well about time that Democrats stand up to the bullying right and its water carriers.   Let's hit the right wing scream machine where it will hurt the most -  their ratings.

by Libby Shaw 2007-04-09 01:46PM | 0 recs
Re: Politico? Hello???

What's the Politico comments on this latest development?  Do they think that Obama, like Edwards, will be able to pay "less attention to black voters" by pulling out of the debate?  WTF were they thinking with that genius political analysis?  Why would any Democratic candidate even WANT to pay LESS attention to black voters???  That nugget was courtesy of Ben Smith at the Politico... wonder WTF he's saying now...

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0 407/Edwards_Skipping_Fox_Debate.html

by wintersnowman 2007-04-09 01:53PM | 0 recs
"Drops" or "Not showing up?"

Did Obama (or any of the candidates) actually agree to appear at the Fox/CBC debate -- or is this just a case of announcing that they won't be showing up for it?

by plukasiak 2007-04-09 02:19PM | 0 recs
News or non-news?

Will Obama put this on the front page of his website like Edwards??

That would probably be pushing it :)

by okamichan13 2007-04-09 02:46PM | 0 recs
Re: News or non-news?

Its on his HQ blog, but I did not see it on teh front page yet.  His site does seem slow to update though.

by yitbos96bb 2007-04-09 02:52PM | 0 recs
Even So

Obama still doesn't have the guts to stand up to the Repulicons when they attack him, as they will.

by Perry Oikos 2007-04-09 04:11PM | 0 recs