Open Thread

I was in Old City last night for First Friday. For only $1, a fortune-telling, street artist drew a picture of what I would look like in the near future:

It wouldn't surprise me if I ended up in a straight jacket. However, that diagnosis did only cost a dollar, so I might seek a second opinion from another fortune-telling, street artist.

Also, donations are still trickling in today, and the Let Us Work For You campaign currently stands at 159 donors, and $8,500 raised. That puts us only 41 donors and $1,500 from our goals!. Thank you so, so much to everyone who gave.

This is an open thread. Tell the world what is on your mind.

Update: We have reached, and surpassed, both the donor goal and the fundraising goal! Tomorrow, my day will be spent writing thank you notes. Being paid this way changes you--it makes me feel a profound sense of duty and obligation, even apart from what I personally believe in and I am personally driven to do. Thank you so, so, so much. I won't let you down. We will all keep growing stronger, and we will take back our country.

Tags: Open Threads (all tags)

Comments

Re: Open Thread

I put $50 in the hat.  Money better spent than any donation to any major candidate I've ever made.

by pseudo999 2007-04-07 02:12PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

Sheesh...we tell you to go have some fun and this is the best you can do? It's like Oliver Twist asking for gruel....somebody buy this man a serious drink the next time he shows up at a social event...or whatever he imbibes to enjoy himself when he leaves the computer cave...

by johnalive 2007-04-07 02:23PM | 0 recs
Match Challenge

I've still got $25 left to match anyone who responds to this comment with a donation in that amount.

PS: I see Digby made a nice callout. It appears you fellows are among the smarter and more hard-working guys around (and a good thing you're young, says Dig, we geezers couldn't keep pace in a hundred years).

by MikeB 2007-04-07 02:27PM | 0 recs
Re: Match Challenge

OK, MikeB. I accept that match challenge. Now I'll figure out how to make that contribution.

(Hmm. Does this give me a say in Chris's state committee votes? Or maybe my call will get through when Matt's on C-SPAN.)

by joyful alternative 2007-04-07 05:43PM | 0 recs
Matched n/t

by MikeB 2007-04-07 06:28PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

I'd be less worried about the straight jacket and more worried about only having four toes on each foot.

by joejoejoe 2007-04-07 02:31PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

That puts us only 41 donors and $1,500 from our goals!.

just chipped in -- as another Philadelphian, its either contribute, or pay higher taxes to sustain you on welfare ;)

but if your goal is 10K you're only 30 (now 29) contributors away...

by plukasiak 2007-04-07 02:44PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

I threw in my moolah this morning.

If I pay $45 a month for a cable package that includes the rancid strains of CNN and Fox, Chris's and Matt's work (and the others' as well) is worth a heckuva lot more than that...

And it's snowing in Frederick County, MD. Again.

by Master Jack 2007-04-07 03:42PM | 0 recs
second opinion
by Bob Brigham 2007-04-07 04:15PM | 0 recs
Re: second opinion

I concur!

by epv72 2007-04-07 07:55PM | 0 recs
Re: second opinion

That's the spirit!

by johnalive 2007-04-07 10:02PM | 0 recs
what a warm looking jacket

Good lord that person up there is going to punch an innocent picture of an elephant.

by heyAnita 2007-04-07 06:53PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

You would not have had this response had Chris & Matt & the MyDD community not shown creativity and commitment.  Congratulations!  The job is not yet done.  It never will get done but we are still closer.

by howardpark 2007-04-07 08:37PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

In all seriousness, thank you. I gave in the fall too when you did one of these then. Keep up the good work.

by johnalive 2007-04-07 10:03PM | 0 recs
Will blog for food

Hey Matt and Chris---

Will make a donation when I can get a secure line. I'm thinkin that isn't the lounge at Heathrow, so be patient.  En route to Russia trip # 30 to work with the childrens hospital in StP.

"Will blog for food" is the sign I brought to Plamehouse, just in case we didn't raise enough for our adventure there.

Wishing you the best in your adventures.

by egregious 2007-04-07 11:44PM | 0 recs
Got ya covered

Chipped in $50 while you wait.

May your travels be safe and swift!

-GFO

by GuyFromOhio 2007-04-08 09:42AM | 0 recs
Random Thoughts

Pro-choice Republican Presidential Candidates

Abortion is as important and passionate an issue for the GOP base as Iraq is for the progressive base.  By far, the most fascinating thing for me to watch in politics lately is how the Republican party has not been able to call forth an electable pro-life candidate.

Guiliani is on the record as pro-choice and has not yet flipped on the issue.  Fred Thompson has nuanced his stance over the years, indicating that he doesn't believe there is a constitutional right to abortion, but is in favor of unrestricted first trimester abortions.

The positions of Romney and McCain (there are many) have changed, but I would call none of them nuanced.  Rather I would describe them as grotesquely pandering.  There is a lavish public record which documents that many times over the past ten years, both of these top-tier GOP hopefuls have defended Roe v Wade and a woman's right to choose.

I am not sure what this would mean for public policy if one of these guys became president, but I have no doubt that this issue will be corrosive to the GOP base, demoralizing the ground troops, and affecting the next election in subtle but profound ways.  It's as if all the Democratic frontrunners supported the surge.  The effect will be huge.

Global Warming Deniers

Fucking William Gray, the "eminent" meteorologist weighed in on Al Gore and global warming:

"He's one of these guys that preaches the end of the world type of things. I think he's doing a great disservice and he doesn't know what he's talking about,"

For those of you who dont know Dr Gray, he is a hurricane "expert" from Colorado.  For a quarter of a century, he has been issuing seasonal hurricane forecasts.  As Sciguy rightly notes on his blog, these premonitions are often as questionable and accurate as the Amazing Criswell's were.  Dr Gray has not only earned a huge reputation for these forecasts, but has also assumed for himself the ability, unique among meteorologists, to change his forecast mid-way through the season.  In theory I understand that this may help to increase his accuracy rate.

I really don't hate Gray, and I more than willing to afford him the respect that he has earned for identifying, early in his career, multi-year climate variations, which helped climatologists appreciate phenomena such as El Nino and the Southern Oscillation.  But his hurricane forecasts are dogs, and for years it has really pissed me off that he is always referred to as a great genius by the popular media which never bothers, out of sheer and inexcusable laziness, to place his forecasts in an appropriate context or challenge their accuracy.  Do a google search on Gray and stare in awe at the list of superlatives that always accompany his name.  I am tired of hearing his seasonal forecast at the start of the season, reported densely by the press as if it were an actual weather report, and never about the limits of these types of predictions or about how wrong he often is.

His vicious attack was focused on Al Gore, an easy target, but was in fact an attack on modern science.  By joining the club of global warming deniers, he has entered the fringe of anti-science, like intelligent design apologists.  Yes, Dr Gray, there are multi-year cyclical climate variations.  You were right about that, great, now enjoy your tenure.  These variations do not disprove the facts of global warming.

2008 Presidential Predictions

GOP Ticket:  Fred Thompson and Mike Huckabee in a weird bizzarro world of Clinton/Gore (Tennessee Senator and Arkansas Governor.)  Huckabee asked to join the ticket for his broad appeal and Christian credentials.  I hear he is a minister.

Dem ticket:  Al Gore and Barack Obama baby!  Gorbama takes the General by over 420 EV thanks to the entry of a Pat Robertson-type pro-life crusader.

by Winston Smith 2007-04-08 12:36AM | 0 recs
Re: Holy War

I have seen several letters to the editor claiming that we should fight a holy war in Iraq (with a faith based army) and we recently talked with a retired conservative minister who tried to make the same argument. Has anyone else seen letters making such claims or is it confined to a few newspapers?

by JSN 2007-04-08 05:34AM | 0 recs
Re: Holy War

Haven't heard, but haven't been listening, either.
If the Army of Jesus wants to take up arms and go fight, by all means, go for it. They can fight over there so I don't have to fight with them here!

Just don't expect the US Gov't to pay for its way there, or pay for its sorry ass when it gets shot off.

-GFO

by GuyFromOhio 2007-04-08 09:41AM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

With chagrin, I admit to listening to NPR for years and only contributing once.  But NPR doesn't represent me the way you do.  So I've contributed twice now, and I'll do it again when you ask--as long as it isn't next week.  Got to.  I mean, what kind of scumbag would I be to use info and ideas from you guys a couple of times a week on my own blog and then tighten the grip on my credit card when you need help.

I'm glad you met your goal easily.

by Jo Etta 2007-04-08 10:10AM | 0 recs
another failed "war" metaphor

Oh look, another "war" metaphor, this time instead of on a war on a verb like terrorism, which has been used for millennia, it's on a noun this time, mind-altering chemicals, which have also been in use for millennia.  Let me guess how this one ends: ummm... never?   I think everyone should oppose war metaphors on general principle.

On the positive side, I support the Drug Policy Alliance, and their about weekly newsletter goes over the failure of the drug laws and successes in reform.  There is a lot of progress being made these days, mostly at the local and state level, though I do hope we start making progress on the federal level over the next decade.

by aip 2007-04-08 02:57PM | 0 recs