Fundraising totals

Well update this once we get the final numbers:

1Q (internet) General  Senate  Total  COH   Donors
Clinton     $26M (4.2)                 $10M      $36M   50,000
Obama       $22M?                                       83,500
Edwards     $14M (3.3)    $1M                    $14M   40,000
Richardson  $6M
Dodd        $4M                            $5M
Biden       $3M                            $1M
Records smashed:
Republican Phil Gramm of Texas and Democrat Al Gore of Tennessee held the records for first-quarter receipts: $8.7 million (€6.53 million) for Gramm in 1995 and $8.9 million (€6.68 million) for Gore in 1999.

Update [2007-4-1 19:41:33 by Jerome Armstrong]:

Aides to Sen. Chris Dodd, D-Conn., said he raised more than $4 million in the quarter, transferred nearly $5 million from his Senate campaign account and had $7.5 million cash on hand.
Dodd comes in with numbers above Biden.

Tags: 2008 candidates (all tags)

Comments

We know that $13 million is primary money...

...for Edwards. How much of Hillary's $26 million is primary money?

by MeanBoneII 2007-04-01 03:16PM | 0 recs
Re: We know that $13 million is primary money...

The $26 million is all new money. That does not include any transferred from her primary account.

by robliberal 2007-04-01 03:25PM | 0 recs
Re: We know that $13 million is primary money...

What?  We don't how much of that $26 million is for the general election.  We do know that $1 million of what Edwards raised is for the general election.

by cilerder86 2007-04-01 03:32PM | 0 recs
Re: We know that $13 million is primary money...

I'll say this as a political donor who's been contacted repeatedly by several of the campaigns.

Hillary Clinton's campaign was the only one actively asking for general election funds and the only one promoting events where the required donation was $4,600.

I expect the percentage of general election funds for her will be higher than the rest of the field.  It also means she might be maxxing out her big donors quicker, so it may be harder to sustain those numbers in future quarters.  Then again, having more funds and higher poll numbers would give her the advantage in aggressively going after new donors (and apparently wringint dollars out of them faster). ;)

I have my favorite but I've given to several candidates this year.  It's a very good field this year.

by jamiek 2007-04-01 10:04PM | 0 recs
Re: We know that $13 million is primary money...

Very Cool.  I agree, I like at least half the Democrat field... (I think those are good odds to be able to vote for someone I can appreciate).

What I'm most worried about will be house and senate races.  I'm hoping the Democratic hopefuls don't burn out too much of some hardcore Democrat donors.

by JeremiahTheMessiah 2007-04-01 10:56PM | 0 recs
Re: We know that $13 million is primary money...

Maybe this sounds odd, but did the Republicans post anything about money???

by del 2007-04-01 07:27PM | 0 recs
Re: Fundraising totals

This needs another column to separate general election funds, which are essentially unusable at this point.  The fact that the Clinton people were so coy about the primary/general split suggests that a lot of their money comes from a short list of high-dollar donors who are now tapped out.  Edwards people were up front that roughly $1 million was general election funds.

by Pied Piper 2007-04-01 03:16PM | 0 recs
what?

Edwards upfront and Hillary coy?  never heard that before

by TarHeel 2007-04-01 03:48PM | 0 recs
Re: Fundraising totals

I am surprised that Richardson did that well. He got almost half as much as Edwards.

by robliberal 2007-04-01 03:24PM | 0 recs
Re: Fundraising totals

how much is general election money?

the real number is how much did they raise for the primary only

by TarHeel 2007-04-01 03:49PM | 0 recs
And how much they have left n/t

by okamichan13 2007-04-01 04:27PM | 0 recs
Re: Fundraising totals - Richardson

Richardson has the diplomatic background that this country truly needs after the disaster of the Bush administration.

His support has been steadily gaining.

by Brian82 2007-04-01 09:26PM | 0 recs
Good for Edwards!

He is right in there.  Mostly primary money too.

by Emma Anne 2007-04-01 03:32PM | 0 recs
Re: Fundraising totals

All the numbers seem low to me. If anything, the surprising thing is how well the minor players have done in raising money. I would have thought that they would find it very difficult yet they are doing ok.

by kundalini 2007-04-01 03:36PM | 0 recs
Re: Fundraising totals

you're forgetting Edwards and Obama aren't taking PAC and lobbyist money.

Dodd and Biden are probably rolling in PAC and lobbyist money from their committees in the senate  e.g. "Banking" etc...

by TarHeel 2007-04-01 03:50PM | 0 recs
Re: Fundraising totals

You just made me recall an old song from, I think the late 80s or early 90s. It goes like this.

Ahhh Spin It

Spin It good

Ahhh Spin It

Spin it Real Good

Oh wait no it was Push it By SaltNPeppa

;p

by ObamaEdwards2008 2007-04-01 03:57PM | 0 recs
Re: Fundraising totals

Since I know Ya'll LOVE "rumors".

Barack Obama may have more cash than what's being reported.(22 Million) They won't confirm and they're all smirking about it.

;p

by ObamaEdwards2008 2007-04-01 03:53PM | 0 recs
Re: Fundraising totals

you wouldn't leak a number that was higher now would you.

I'll bet for primary money Obama tied or beat clinton

by TarHeel 2007-04-01 04:02PM | 0 recs
Re: Fundraising totals

It's possible. Boy I wish they would hurry up and lay it all out.

by ObamaEdwards2008 2007-04-01 04:06PM | 0 recs
Re: Fundraising totals

I'm wondering if Jerome really had something with the $35 million estimate. Something big is going on with Obama's numbers. $21 million might have been way too low.

by mihan 2007-04-01 04:10PM | 0 recs
Re: Fundraising totals

I'm certain Obama probably beat her on primary only money..

by TarHeel 2007-04-01 04:14PM | 0 recs
Re: Fundraising totals

As much as I'd love for Obama to have pulled in $35 million, that's just not a feasible number for him to have achieved for the quarter.

The delay in announcing his numbers probably has a more prosaic origin: either his campaign is still tallying the money they raised yesterday at the house parties, or they're maneuvering to get more media bang for their buck by waiting for HRC to own tomorrow's news cycle, and then announce after that in order to dominate Tuesday's news.

by gin pahit 2007-04-01 04:18PM | 0 recs
Re: Fundraising totals

I agree. Probably not realistic that he's bringing in more than Hillary. Even would be great, though.

by mihan 2007-04-01 04:21PM | 0 recs
Re: Fundraising totals

I dunno...if Edwards brought in 14 mil with 37000 donors, that comes to an average of $380 per donation. And Jerome says that Hillary's average is $520/donation. I'm expecting that Obama's average donation size will be a bit smaller, since he presumably has more people making small donations online (<u>presumably</u>). But let's say Obama's average is $350, a little bit less than Edwards' average. From 80000 donors, that comes to 29 mil. Hillary had 50k donors. So that way, it isn't hard to see Obama beating her. As Jerome says, all Obama has to do is have an average of $320 pre donation to tie with Hillary.

That said, while it's not hard to see Obama tie or beat Hillary, 35 mil seems highly unlikely. The only way to rake in that much would be black magic or something. If Obama's gonna beat Hillary, it's gonna be by a relatively small amount.

by b1oody8romance7 2007-04-01 04:48PM | 0 recs
Re: Fundraising totals

Agreed.  I do however think it's important to note Obama was constantly sold out of merchandise.  I'm wondering what kind of factor it will play in his numbers.

by JeremiahTheMessiah 2007-04-01 04:51PM | 0 recs
Re: Fundraising totals

Don't forget a lot of donors for Obama are people who paid a few dollars to hear him speak at the rallies. His donor number may be high, but I think the average amount will be much lower.

by PhillyGuy 2007-04-01 04:54PM | 0 recs
Re: Fundraising totals

Also, we don't know how many donors Edwards had. That 37,000 figure is just online donors, which was 3.5 million of his total. So he probably had closer to 40-45k total.

by adamterando 2007-04-01 06:05PM | 0 recs
If he did have more money than Clinton

of course he would leak it. That would be a huge story especially combine with his huge amount of donors.

by okamichan13 2007-04-01 04:29PM | 0 recs
Re: If he did have more money than Clinton

If Obama wasn't happy about his numbers he'd release them today, and hope that they'd get muddled up in the news stories about all the other candidates' hauls. The fact that he's waiting a day to announce his total says to me that his campaign is confident that the amount is newsworthy and will not be an anti-climax to expectations that have been building around Obama's fundraising.

by gin pahit 2007-04-01 04:39PM | 0 recs
Re: Fundraising totals

I think HRC has more too, I underdstand the $26 is from the last 10 weeks.

by del 2007-04-01 07:17PM | 0 recs
Re: Fundraising totals

I would add a column for labeled SAT (Senate Account Transfers)

Hillary would have 10 million, Dodd would have 5 million, Biden would have 1 million in that column if you were to add it.

Yes, I heard a statistic like 4/15 of Clinton's money was GE money?  That could have been more rumor than anything.  I can't wait till April 15th.  We will also find out how much Cash On Hand each candidate has.

by JeremiahTheMessiah 2007-04-01 04:05PM | 0 recs
Re: Fundraising totals

Sorry for posting twice, but I forgot to add my assumption on Obama.

A lot less news gets out to people on the weekends.  If Obama campaign waits till Monday afternoon, more people will hear his name and his dollar amount with it.

by JeremiahTheMessiah 2007-04-01 04:07PM | 0 recs
he should stress

his primary money.. to put hillary in a bind...

you can conservatively say Hillary had at MOST 24 million for primary money..  my guess is probably something like 21 million primary money

by TarHeel 2007-04-01 04:09PM | 0 recs
Obama: Set to dominate ny news cycle?

It sure appears that Obama is waiting on releasing his numbers. The only possible reason I could think of for that is so that his fundraising prowess is the lead political story in every newspaper and tv news hour in the country tomorrow. We'll probably see the numbers just before the news deadline.

by mihan 2007-04-01 04:09PM | 0 recs
Re: Fundraising totals

I am surprised no one has mentioned the total donors. Clinton has reported only 50,000 donors, over 30,000 less than Obama.

That is surely surprising.

by mattmfm 2007-04-01 04:18PM | 0 recs
Re: Fundraising totals

Thanks! I hadn't seen that.  Obama's campaign had 84,531 donors, Edwards had 37,192 donors.

This would make for a good other column to have.

by JeremiahTheMessiah 2007-04-01 04:23PM | 0 recs
Re: Fundraising totals

I think that number of Edwards is actually just online donors, not total donors.  Also, I think you made a little typo on Obama's number, as it should be 83,531.

by Fran for Dean 2007-04-01 04:30PM | 0 recs
Re: Fundraising totals

That number is only for online contributors for Edwards.

by okamichan13 2007-04-01 04:31PM | 0 recs
Re: Fundraising totals

I know this is nitpicky, but I'd suggest changing JRE's online total to $3.3 million.  Would also add in a "transferred in" column and a "# of donors" column as well.

by bluecollar 2007-04-01 04:24PM | 0 recs
Agreed

if Hillary has 4.2 than Edwards can get 3.3 or 3.28

by TarHeel 2007-04-01 04:28PM | 0 recs
We need a donor column

Edwards had over 37,000 donors just for the the 3.2 million he raised online compared to 50,000 total for Hillary

by okamichan13 2007-04-01 04:24PM | 0 recs
This is BS

Now remember, I am a Clarkie..

Not bad.. and staying out of the fighting so far. Will he be banned from the so called debates because he isn't an MSM declared front runner?
http://www.cnn.com/POLITICS/blogs/politi calticker/

This is BS!

Richardson launched his presidential committee January 22, the same day as Clinton. Though both raised millions for their successful 2006 re-election bids, federal law prohibits Richardson from using any money raised for his gubernatorial account for a presidential campaign.

Why can he not use his past "war chest" as Hillary, Obama, Edwards and the others can?! This is absolute crap!

by kevin22262 2007-04-01 04:43PM | 0 recs
Edwards has no war chest

the current senators, mostly clinton, dodd and biden can use their current senate committee seats to shakedown money from PACs and lobbyists.

edwards has never taken PAC money and has no senate seat.

edwards and richardson are equally limited

by TarHeel 2007-04-01 04:49PM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards has no war chest

uhhh..

No.  The senators can move money from their senate campaigns to their prez campaigns. Also, past prez campaigns.

by kevin22262 2007-04-01 04:54PM | 0 recs
Edwards is not a current

senator nor did he have any money left from when he was a senator...to roll over.

Hillary did and Dodd did .. don't know about obama or biden

by TarHeel 2007-04-01 04:59PM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards is not a current

Obama has about $500,000 in his Senate account.

by cilerder86 2007-04-01 05:04PM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards is not a current

Edwards ran for prez... anything left? I am sure he used his past senatorial campaign money in his 2004 prez race.

by kevin22262 2007-04-01 05:07PM | 0 recs
Debt

I believe his pres campaign was in a small ammount of debt. Nothing to carry over.

How about Clark?

by okamichan13 2007-04-01 05:18PM | 0 recs
Re: Debt

Clark.. I believe has a tiny bit left over from his 2004 campaign.

by kevin22262 2007-04-01 05:26PM | 0 recs
Re: Debt

I believe there was a small amount of debt that was erased and now he has a tiny bit left over.

by kevin22262 2007-04-01 05:27PM | 0 recs
Re: Debt

Not after he bought that big azz house.

;p

by ObamaEdwards2008 2007-04-01 07:19PM | 0 recs
Re: Debt

big azz house???

by kevin22262 2007-04-01 07:56PM | 0 recs
Re: This is BS

You're the one who's wrong.  Richardson can't by law transfer his funds, because he raised those funds for a New Mexico state election.  It's called campaign finance reform.

by cilerder86 2007-04-01 04:58PM | 0 recs
Re: This is BS

How am I wrong?

I think the system is wrong.

by kevin22262 2007-04-01 05:08PM | 0 recs
Re: This is BS

"Nobody should be able to use money from a different race and political office for a totally different office.  But if the senators can do it, then why not a gov?"

I agree on the first point, but I'd rather let neither do it than both. Richardson's money wasn't raised or reported in accordance with federal campaign finance laws, only NM law, which may be more lenient. So he shouldn't be able to use it in a federal campaign.

by Gpack3 2007-04-02 06:06AM | 0 recs
Edwards press release

from ncdemamy:

Chapel Hill, North Carolina - The John Edwards for President campaign announced today that it raised in excess of $14 million during the first quarter fundraising period, far exceeding its budget and nearly doubling the amount Edwards raised during the first quarter in 2003.  Americans from across the country and from a wide range of backgrounds supported Senator Edwards' campaign to start changing America today with big, bold ideas.

First quarter fundraising figures from the John Edwards for President campaign include:

More than $14 million raised total.
 More than 40,000 contributors from across the country.
 80 percent of contributions were $100 or less.
 $3.3 million raised from online contributions.
 Around $1 million raised in general election funds.

by okamichan13 2007-04-01 04:59PM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards press release

40k contributions? I thought that was from online totals only?

by proudtobeliberal 2007-04-01 05:07PM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards press release

37k are from online totals.  The remaining few thousands are probably big-dollar checks which make up the bulk of the total.

by Fran for Dean 2007-04-01 06:33PM | 0 recs

From Yahoo News:

"Obama, in an interview with The Associated Press on Sunday, was coy.
"I think we'll do well," Obama said. "I think that we should meet people's expectations. More importantly, I think we will have raised enough money to make sure we can compete for the next quarter and beyond. I think we'll do pretty well." "

by JeremiahTheMessiah 2007-04-01 05:28PM | 0 recs
House Parties

I think Obama's waiting to get tallies from the house parties held on 3/31. I think they're close enough to HRC's haul that they want to count every cent possible just on the chance they may have actually surpassed her.

by blueflorida 2007-04-01 08:11PM | 0 recs
Re: Fundraising totals

HRC outraised them all and outraised the netroots fav candidate on his own court. 36 million is going to be tough to beat. You know the HRC haters on the left are feelin' it when they are more concerned about primary/general election funds. Bottom line: She beat them all in every which way!

BTW: We only need one column: Total bucks raised!

by ND1979 2007-04-02 05:28AM | 0 recs
Re: Fundraising totals

Rubbish. The reason people are more interested in the primary amount is because that's what she has to play with now. General election money is tied up for a year. An advantage there is meaningless except in terms of news headlines for now.

by Englishlefty 2007-04-02 07:41AM | 0 recs