What Nominees Would Result In a Bloomberg Run?

So, apparently whether or not Bloomberg runs is dependent upon the nominees of the two major parties. From Newsweek:
Privately, Bloomberg and political adviser Kevin Sheekey are meeting with pollsters and consultants to assess the mayor's chances as a third-party, independent candidate. "There is no Bloomberg campaign," Sheekey tells NEWSWEEK. "But we have certainly reached out." At a dinner last year with Al From, founder of the centrist Democratic Leadership Council, Bloomberg was candid and self-deprecating, wondering what chance a 5-foot-7, divorced Jew has in the celebrity-sweepstakes presidential contest.

The answer is that it depends on who the nominees are for the two major parties, and how much cash Bloomberg is willing to spend. The money part is easy for a self-made media mogul. "He could spend $500 million in a campaign and not even think about it," says From. But he'd probably do it only if buyer's remorse sets in among the voters. Because the primary process is so front-loaded this cycle, the winners will be known in early February, leaving nine months until the election for voters to get antsy. "He won't say anything until March of next year," says a former aide privy to the early discussions who didn't want to be named talking about them. "The guiding philosophy is who the Democratic and Republican nominees are, and the mood of the country once they know who those two people are."
For starters, it can't be emphasized enough that Al From was at a meeting last year designed to coax a billionaire Republican to run for President against a Democratic nominee. Couple this with their insistence that more Republicans support their positions than Democrats, and how the DLC is still often quoted in the media as a voice within the Democratic Party or how the Democratic congressional leadership allows Third Way to be the main educating force for new Democratic members on the Hill is beyond me. The Democratic Party is held hostage by those who wish to defeat it.

Leaving that aside for the moment, I have to wonder what nominees Bloomberg would feel compelled to run against. Surely not McCain, Giuliani and Clinton, since those three are all "cult of bipartisanship" heroes of the LieberDem, DLC-nexus circle that would support Bloomberg. Obama? Maybe, but he does strike a cord of unity rhetoric and Lieberman was his mentor in the Senate for a bit. Romney? Maybe, but I imagine ultra-rich, northeastern owners of media empires would stick together. Edwards? Seems a bit more likely, even though he does have "DLC golden Boy" roots pre-dating his time as a populist crusader.

Basically, I'm not sure why the DLC-nexus is so unhappy with the potential field that they would consider backing someone like Bloomberg in order to stave off a coming era of extremism. This entire election seems to be bearing them the fruits of two decades of seed work, as it is the most DLC-friendly field of candidates ever. Maybe it is because I hate the politics of unity and purpose, but I can't imagine a scenario where they would be shut out of the process, especially considering the fundraising free-for-all that will be the 2008 general election.

And who in God's name would be Bloomberg's base anyway? As the Daily Show put it when it came to the Geffen flap, I think it constitutes those people who care what billionaire plutocrats have to think. In the end, I think that explains why the DLC is still interested in Bloomberg despite the leanings of the rest of the field: that is their primary constituent base these days.

Tags: DLC-nexus, Michael Bloomberg, Third parties (all tags)

Comments

Re: What Nominees Would Result In a Bloomberg Run?

Not to re-hash previously-discussed things, but John Edwards couldn't be a DLC Golden Boy since he was never a member of the DLC.

Reference Ezra Klein's article in this month's American Prospect.

by Peter from WI 2007-03-05 07:58AM | 0 recs
by robliberal 2007-03-05 08:16AM | 0 recs
Re: What Nominees Would Result In a Bloomberg Run?

For the 10th time, at least, Edwards hasn't been associated with the DLC since July 2003.  Right now, he is essentially running against their entire agenda.

by jallen 2007-03-05 08:25AM | 0 recs
Re: What Nominees Would Result In a Bloomberg Run?

agreed, Edwards is not DLC anymore and that's what matters.

But neither is Obama, and I see that thrown at him also and Obama has never even been a member.

by dpg220 2007-03-05 08:45AM | 0 recs
Re: What Nominees Would Result In a Bloomberg Run?

Obama has been talking to DLC since Ford became chair. I don't know what "date" Edwards changed from being for, neutral, or against DLC. While there will be pro and anti DLC talk in the primaries whoever is the nominee will get DLC support.

by robliberal 2007-03-05 09:09AM | 0 recs
Re: What Nominees Would Result In a Bloomberg Run?

Quit trying to muddy the waters.  Barack and John are not the same as Hillary.  Listen to one of John's speeches, and you'll know it.  Look at the "liberal" ratings that were posted earlier for Barack and Hillary on economics, and you'll know it.  That "they're all the same" crap is what makes people vote for Nader.  Its what the DLC types want you to think: that there is no disagreement on economics, that all sensible people agree with them, etc.

by jallen 2007-03-05 09:30AM | 0 recs
Re: What Nominees Would Result In a Bloomberg Run?

all you'll know by listening to edwards' speeches is the poll numbers he's been looking at.

by serge in dc 2007-03-05 09:32AM | 0 recs
Re: What Nominees Would Result In a Bloomberg Run?

1.  Can you really trust any politician?  At some point, you have to take them at their words.

2.  I wish politicians did whatever the polls told them was popular.  We'd have universal health care, we'd be out of Iraq, etc.  I believe in democracy; I don't want leaders who do unpopular things.

by jallen 2007-03-05 09:37AM | 0 recs
Re: What Nominees Would Result In a Bloomberg Run?

So you don't want leaders who promote civil rights?  The priviledged majority never wants to let the rest of society into the fold.  If that's truly your position, I have no idea what you're doing on a progressive political blog, but your statement in support of universal health care and an end to the Iraq occupation suggest that you were simply hasty with your words.

Pure democracy is nothing but another form of tyrrany, and must be constrained in defense of the rights of the minority.

by libdevil 2007-03-05 11:33AM | 0 recs
Re: What Nominees Would Result In a Bloomberg Run?
Fine, you are a liberal, and I'm not.  I believe in civil rights as the ultimate of what governments must defend, but that for everything else, we should use democracy to decide.  I completely understand that liberals don't really believe in democracy.  I'm really only 40-45% liberal, so that's not me.  I actually believe in democracy.
And on civil rights, the majority is currently against gay people on some issues, but that is changing, and we need to change people's views.
by jallen 2007-03-05 11:42AM | 0 recs
Re: What Nominees Would Result In a Bloomberg Run?

Obama and Clinton have ADA ratings of 95 to 100 on liberal issues. Edwards has had much lower ADA ratings (partly because he missed some votes running for president).

by robliberal 2007-03-05 09:47AM | 0 recs
excuse me?

Obama has been talking to DLC since Ford became chair.

Source?

by Adam B 2007-03-05 11:07AM | 0 recs
Re: excuse me?

Source: Washington Post

Even Sen. Barack Obama (Ill.) has expressed interest in "find[ing] ways he could work with the DLC," according to Ford. (Ford describes Obama as a "personal friend" and says they talk regularly.)

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/thefix/20 07/01/fords_next_move.html

by robliberal 2007-03-05 01:29PM | 0 recs
Re: excuse me?

Thanks.  Not quite what the initial sentence was, but it's not wholly unfounded.  Note that the only quotes are from Ford, however.

by Adam B 2007-03-05 04:09PM | 0 recs
Re: What Nominees Would Result In a Bloomberg Run?

Edwards wasn't a member.  Being associated with and being a member is different.

Obama has spoken to the assembled DLC leadership (I believe), and so did Edwards early in his senatorial career.

The DLC is about both (failed) centrism politics and about establishmentarianism and Beltwayism.  John Edwards has thoroughly repudiated that kind of politics, especially in this cycle, from his One Corps grassroots citizen activist groups building a movement to his embrace of progressive labor to his emphasis on issues that draw clear and bright lines in the political sand (e.g. economic opportunity and security versus corporate oligarchy).

by Peter from WI 2007-03-05 11:32AM | 0 recs
Re: What Nominees Would Result In a Bloomberg Run?

It is a matter of how you look at it. Saying they are against something "especially in this cycle" does not change they they spoke to DLC over the years. Clinton, Obama, Edwards, Biden, etc. have similar points of views on DLC issues and attract a lot of corporate support.

by robliberal 2007-03-05 01:32PM | 0 recs
Re: What Nominees Would Result In a Bloomberg Run?

Answer: a right wing Republican nominee.

by demondeac 2007-03-05 08:09AM | 0 recs

by demondeac 2007-03-05 08:09AM | 0 recs
Re: What Nominees Would Result In a Bloomberg Run?

It is hard to figure out what Al From and others have in mind since it would appear to me that Bloomberg would pull votes from the Democratic side not the GOP. My guess would be they have in mind some very complex electoral college play to keep an extremist GOP nominee from winning but at this point it does not look like the most extremist GOP candidates have any chance of being the nominee.

What I would like to see is an extreme right wing third party candidate like Judge Roy Moore, Michael Savage, etc. who would pull votes directly from the hardcore GOP base. I think it is somewhat risky to have a moderate to liberal third party candidate since that may be more dangerous than Nader.

by robliberal 2007-03-05 08:20AM | 0 recs
Re: What Nominees Would Result In a Bloomberg Run?

"Lieberman was his mentor in the Senate for a bit"

Chris-

My recollection was that new Senator's get mentors and that lieberman was chosen for Obama, not that Obama considers or chose Lieberman as his mentor. If Lieberman was chosen for Obama than this does not support any idea that Obama is a triangulator in any sense.

by dpg220 2007-03-05 08:49AM | 0 recs

Here is what I found:

http://www.counterpunch.org/cockburn0424 2006.html

"Hence his press man, Vietor's, sensitivity to my allusion in that last to Obama's "mentor" being Senator Joe Lieberman. As a freshman senator, Vietor insisted, Obama had been assigned Lieberman as "mentor".

Cockburn goes on to say that liberman says obama picked him, but Joe Lieberman isn't very trustworthy on things. Cookburn also argues that Obama could have opted out of that choice, though I suspect a Obasma would be best not to opt out of the arrangement as one of his first acts in congress. That would be quite an insult and unwise.

From what I can tell Cockburn is the only source for this info and Obama has denied it. Cockburn also routinely calls Obama "slithering" and is not a fan.

by dpg220 2007-03-05 09:00AM | 0 recs
Re: What Nominees Would Result In a Bloomberg Run?

Does it really matter who Obama is and is not friends with in the Senate?  After all, Tip O'Neill was buddies with Jerry Ford both when he was House Minority Leader and President.  They used to golf together and that never stopped O'Neill from being a huge thorn in Ford's side

I have seen nothing in Obama's record that shows he has all the sudden started emulating Lieberman's voting record.

I say big woop about their friendship!  You can socialize with whoever you want.  Judge people on what they do, not who they socialize with.  On that score Obama seems to be doing fine.

by John Mills 2007-03-05 09:16AM | 0 recs
Re: What Nominees Would Result In a Bloomberg Run?

I agree. But I found it strange for Chris to just drop the Lieberman was Obama's mentor comment in there, especially b/c Lieberman is so disliked around here.

by dpg220 2007-03-05 10:04AM | 0 recs
Re: What Nominees Would Result In a Bloomberg Run?

This is the problem with picking candidates from the senator patch - people base their ideas on what kind of president someone would be on how they VOTED on legislation.

Executives and legislators face vastly different worlds - and one's politics in one area bear little witness to what they're (necessiarly) like in another.

Picking a candidate directly from the senator (or representative) patch is just a bad way to do things.  Someone who has had other experiences since their time legislating is a much better choice, whether they served as a governor, chief executive, or director of something, or whatever.  We get a better picture of what their politics are.

Legislators are supposed to, and politically, have to, represent districts or states - which include all kinds of people.  Executives have to govern - which involves a whole different calculus of democratic accountability and decision-making on the elected official's part.

Disclosure: I am an Edwards supporter.

Part of the reason I am an Edwards supporter is that as we've seen his true politics outside his service to the state of North Carolina, we get an idea that he's more FDR than he is Bill Clinton.

by Peter from WI 2007-03-05 11:39AM | 0 recs
Re: What Nominees Would Result In a Bloomberg Run?

I completely agree.  I almost always support Govs for President b/c they have actually run a govt and tend to shy away from sitting and former Sens.  Unfortunately, I have not found a Dem Gov to my liking in this race since Mark Warner dropped out so at this point I am on the sidelines.

My point is that people shouldn't attach motives to elected officials b/c of who their friends are.  Friendships start for all sorts of reasons be it a common, non-work interest to children who go to school together to common political ideology.  Friendships and political agreement should not be confused.

by John Mills 2007-03-05 01:08PM | 0 recs
Re: What Nominees Would Result In a Bloomberg Run?

This is a vanity run.  Not only does Bloomberg have no charisma, he has one of the most tin political ears I have ever seen.  If he started to move in the polls, all you would have to do is run a commercial of Bloomberg's numerous defenses of the head of Con Ed, NYC's electric utility, who was on vacation during a 10 day blackout last summer when 100,000 Queens residences were without power.  That is one of a number of these types of defenses.  NYCers kind of shrug b/c for the most part they think Bloomberg is doing a good job but people who have no knowledge of him would not think highly.

If he got into this, I see him as Ross Perot in 1996 - largely a non-entity.

Giuliani, on the other hand, I believe could be very dangerous as an independent.

by John Mills 2007-03-05 09:11AM | 0 recs
Bloomberg's constituency: the Broderists

Amazing how much ink Unity '08 can get from Old Broder alone, on the basis of damned near nothing.

by RT 2007-03-05 10:25AM | 0 recs