DLC Chair Harold Ford: We Will Have Pony Plan Forums in 2008

From the Washington Times:

Former Rep. Harold E. Ford Jr., the new chairman of the Democratic Leadership Council (DLC), yesterday said he does not agree with efforts by Congress to set a deadline for U.S. military withdrawal from Iraq.

"I think most Americans want to win, they don't want to see us leave early, and if we leave prematurely, we may create a broader set of conflicts and invite a bigger problem in that region than before leaving," Mr. Ford said.

He said there is pressure to set an Iraq-withdrawal timetable because there has not been sufficient change in diplomatic and military policy.

"But I believe there is a different way," Mr. Ford said. "I have called for forbearance, opening a dialogue with Syria and Iran, thinking seriously about energy independence and understanding that we may end up with a partition-type government in Iraq."

Ah, so Ford doesn't agree with the withdrawal legislation and wants his own pony plan.  This is the position shared among Democrats only by Mark Pryor and a few Blue Dog Democrats, though Pryor just wants to keep the withdrawal date secret instead of announcing it publicly.  It's also shared by a fair number of Republicans as well.

Ford's DLC is to the right of every single Democratic Senator, and almost every Democratic House member.  That's fine.  But it doesn't make him a representative of any wing of the Democratic Party, except perhaps the Fox News wing.  It seems as if the DLC's role in the primary will consist of a high profile series of pony plan forums.

Tags: DLC, Iraq (all tags)

Comments

Re: DLC Chair Harold Ford

The DLC's role in the primary will be a major one.

(The Unity '08 primary, that is)

by tparty 2007-03-29 05:46AM | 0 recs
Re: DLC Chair Harold Ford

The America people used their voices/votes  giving their decision in the November 2006 election about the Iraq war; candidates and politicans are parsing Iraq war issues for political advantage;Bush PNAC administration is preparing for war with Iran;

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2007/3/29/ 111010/171

Is Striking Iran Good For Israel
New Video: http://votevets.org

by dearreader 2007-03-29 08:24AM | 0 recs
Re: DLC Chair Harold Ford

working links:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2007/3/29/ 111010/171
Is Striking Iran Good For Israel

by dearreader 2007-03-29 08:27AM | 0 recs
Re: DLC Chair Harold Ford

Recommended by:KayCeSF, Reg NYC
AMY GOODMAN: Do you see a replay in what happened in the lead-up to the war with Iraq -- the allegations of the weapons of mass destruction, the media leaping onto the bandwagon?

GEN. WESLEY CLARK: Well, in a way. But, you know, history doesn't repeat itself exactly twice. What I did warn about when I testified in front of Congress in 2002, I said if you want to worry about a state, it shouldn't be Iraq, it should be Iran. But this government, our administration, wanted to worry about Iraq, not Iran.

I knew why, because I had been through the Pentagon right after 9/11. About ten days after 9/11, I went through the Pentagon and I saw Secretary Rumsfeld and Deputy Secretary Wolfowitz. I went downstairs just to say hello to some of the people on the Joint Staff who used to work for me, and one of the generals called me in. He said, "Sir, you've got to come in and talk to me a second." I said, "Well, you're too busy." He said, "No, no." He says, "We've made the decision we're going to war with Iraq." This was on or about the 20th of September. I said, "We're going to war with Iraq? Why?" He said, "I don't know." He said, "I guess they don't know what else to do." So I said, "Well, did they find some information connecting Saddam to al-Qaeda?" He said, "No, no." He says, "There's nothing new that way. They just made the decision to go to war with Iraq." He said, "I guess it's like we don't know what to do about terrorists, but we've got a good military and we can take down governments." And he said, "I guess if the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem has to look like a nail."

So I came back to see him a few weeks later, and by that time we were bombing in Afghanistan. I said, "Are we still going to war with Iraq?" And he said, "Oh, it's worse than that." He reached over on his desk. He picked up a piece of paper. And he said, "I just got this down from upstairs" -- meaning the Secretary of Defense's office -- "today." And he said, "This is a memo that describes how we're going to take out seven countries in five years, starting with Iraq, and then Syria, Lebanon, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and, finishing off, Iran." I said, "Is it classified?" He said, "Yes, sir." I said, "Well, don't show it to me." And I saw him a year or so ago, and I said, "You remember that?" He said, "Sir, I didn't show you that memo! I didn't show it to you!"

AMY GOODMAN: So, go through the countries again.

GEN. WESLEY CLARK: Well, starting with Iraq, then Syria and Lebanon, then Libya, then Somalia and Sudan, and back to Iran. So when you look at Iran, you say, "Is it a replay?" It's not exactly a replay. But here's the truth: that Iran, from the beginning, has seen that the presence of the United States in Iraq was a threat -- a blessing, because we took out Saddam Hussein and the Baathists. They couldn't handle them. We took care of it for them. But also a threat, because they knew that they were next on the hit list. And so, of course, they got engaged. They lost a million people during the war with Iraq, and they've got a long and unprotectable, unsecurable border. So it was in their vital interest to be deeply involved inside Iraq. They tolerated our attacks on the Baathists. They were happy we captured Saddam Hussein.

But they're building up their own network of influence, and to cement it, they occasionally give some military assistance and training and advice, either directly or indirectly, to both the insurgents and to the militias. And in that sense, it's not exactly parallel, because there has been, I believe, continuous Iranian engagement, some of it legitimate, some of it illegitimate. I mean, you can hardly fault Iran because they're offering to do eye operations for Iraqis who need medical attention. That's not an offense that you can go to war over, perhaps. But it is an effort to gain influence.

And the administration has stubbornly refused to talk with Iran about their perception, in part because they don't want to pay the price with their domestic -- our US domestic political base, the rightwing base, but also because they don't want to legitimate a government that they've been trying to overthrow. If you were Iran, you'd probably believe that you were mostly already at war with the United States anyway, since we've asserted that their government needs regime change, and we've asked congress to appropriate $75 million to do it, and we are supporting terrorist groups, apparently, who are infiltrating and blowing up things inside Iraq -- Iran. And if we're not doing it, let's put it this way: we're probably cognizant of it and encouraging it. So it's not surprising that we're moving to a point of confrontation and crisis with Iran.

My point on this is not that the Iranians are good guys -- they're not -- but that you shouldn't use force, except as a last, last, last resort. There is a military option, but it's a bad one.

by dearreader 2007-03-29 09:55AM | 0 recs
Re: DLC Chair Harold Ford: We Will Have Pony Plan

Dear Mr Ford,

YOU DON'T WIN AN OCCUPATION. YOU STAY OR YOU LEAVE.

Thx & Best Regards,
Your pal Dan

by Dan Ancona 2007-03-29 05:53AM | 0 recs
Re: DLC Chair Harold Ford: We Will Have Pony Plan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_ Leadership_Council

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?tit le=Democratic_Leadership_Council

EXCERPT

The Democratic Leadership Council is a non-profit corporation[1] that argues that the United States Democratic Party should shift away from traditionally populist positions. Moderate and conservative Democratic party leaders founded the DLC in response to the landslide victory of Republican candidate Ronald Reagan over Democratic candidate Walter Mondale during the 1984 Presidential election. The founders believed the United States Democratic Party needed to shift to the right of center to remain viable during the Reagan era. The DLC hails President Clinton as proof of the viability of third way politicians and as a DLC success story. Critics contend that the DLC is effectively a powerful, corporate-financed mouthpiece within the Democratic party that acts to keep Democratic Party candidates and platforms sympathetic to corporate interests and the interests of the wealthy.

The DLC's affiliated think tank is the Progressive Policy Institute. Democrats who adhere to the DLC's philosophy often call themselves New Democrats.

The DLC's current chairman is former Representative Harold Ford, Jr. of Tennessee, and its vice chair is Senator Thomas R. Carper of Delaware. Its CEO is Al From and its president is Bruce Reed.

by dearreader 2007-03-29 08:52AM | 0 recs
How Ford forms his public positions

Let's see if I understand how Ford forms his politics.
Step 1: Look at the Republican plan, look at the Democratic Plan.
Step 2: Note that the public as a whole would like a plan Left of the Democratic Plan.
Step 3: Also Note that the Republican Plan is unpopular and to the Right of the Democratic Plan.
Step 4: Take the "politically palpable" plan which is the Republican plan and at the same time say that you don't like it.
Step 5: Bonus points if you also parrot Right Wing talking points.

What a Fucking Tool!  I'm embarrassed that I ever supported that guy. I feel Like I need to go to confession for ever saying anything good about him.

by maddogg 2007-03-29 06:42AM | 0 recs
Re: How Ford forms his public positions

I could see during his senate run that he was basically running against the Democratic Party.

by carter1 2007-03-29 07:03AM | 0 recs
Re: DLC Chair Harold Ford: We Will Have Pony Plan

We need to email Harold Ford & the DLC and tell them that we Democrats are tired of their constant fire at Democrats. Tell them to take on the Republicans or stop calling themselves Democrats. As for Ford, ask him what he's doing in the Democratic Party.

by carter1 2007-03-29 07:01AM | 0 recs
Re: DLC Chair Harold Ford: We Will Have Pony Plan

This largely strikes me as a solid point, but it does raise one issue. The central idea of the 'pony plan' critique for the last few years is that any elaborate "How to fix Iraq" plan will still depend on implementation by a demonstrably incompetent Bush administration, therefore such plans are unrealistic. If a Democratic presidential candidate is asked about their own "fixing Iraq" plans/policy under the guise that such plans would be implemented during their own Democratically (and presumably, competently) staffed administration, is the "pony plan" critique still apt?

by blueflorida 2007-03-29 07:36AM | 0 recs
Re: DLC Chair Harold Ford: We Will Have Pony Plan

Harold needs to take his irrelevant, Pony ass over to Iraq and fight for Bush's occupation.

by fafnir 2007-03-29 07:47AM | 0 recs
The Ford Bill

If Senator Ford doesn't like what Democrats in Congress are doing, and wants offer his own bill, he's welcome to...

Oh wait, Ford lost his bid for a Senate seat. I wonder how a Democrat running on a conservative platform against a conservative Republican in the South could possibly lose. Didn't he have the best campaign of '06 (except for the losing part)?

Weird...