MyDD Survey Data, Part Two: Partisanship, Voting and General Ideology

Click here to take survey

It is time for part two of the MyDD reader survey. This section focuses on partisanship, voting, and general ideology.

Click here to take survey. I'll post the results tomorrow morning.

I will produce part three of the survey, which will focus on lifestyle questions, on Wednesday. Also, you can see the complete results of part one, the demographic survey, in the extended entry. You should seriously check it out--it is interesting stuff, and quite relevant to our conversations today.
MyDD Demographic Survey

45-52: 15.3%
53-60: 17.9%
Over 60: 8.8%

Gender
Male: 77.9%
Female: 22.1%

Race / Ethnicity (note: more than one answer possible)
White, Non-Hispanic: 90.1%
Asian-American: 3.0%
Mixed / Multiple: 3.0% Latino: 2.3%
African-American: 1.7%
Other: 1.7% (most of the answers here were jewish, white-ethnic, and asian)
Native-American: 0.8%

Married? (Note: I will rework this question in the future)
No: 53.2%

Yes: 13.8%

Union membership?
Current Union member: 9.5%
Current union household, but not union member: 5.9%
Former union member or household: 21.9%
Not union member or household, and never have been: 62.6%

Tags: Democrats, Demographics, Ideology, meta (all tags)

Comments

Re: MyDD Survey Data

Not sure if you've written many of these, but the questions could be a little more clear.  Happy to help edit/write surveys in the future if you need a hand

by DemoCratic 2007-02-05 01:17PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Survey Data
I have written public surveys before, but the problem with this one is that I brushed it off in only about an hour with no editor. I probably should have been working on it since Saturday.
by Chris Bowers 2007-02-05 01:19PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Survey Data, Part Two: Partisanship, Voti

Whoa... didn't realize this was such a sausage fest...

by HellofaSandwich 2007-02-05 01:45PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Survey Data

A couple of pieces of feedback on the survey...

2. Ideological ID - I identify with both liberalism and progressivism, and I'm sure there are lots of people like me.

4. Voting regularity - It might help to make clearer that this is for federal offices.

5. As pointed out above, I vote my ideology and party, and largely (here in Madison, WI), they line up for federal offices.

9. I would venture a guess that many of us would say that the Democratic Party should be both more populist/inspirational AND more progressive/liberal

by Peter from WI 2007-02-05 03:54PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Survey Data, Part Two: Partisanship, Voti

Stoller wants to ask for me why pragmatism wasn't listed as an ideology.

by Jerome Armstrong 2007-02-05 04:03PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Survey Data, Part Two: Partisanship, Voti

That would have been nice; I could have answered accurately!

by Mark Matson 2007-02-05 10:33PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Survey Data, Part Two: Partisanship, Voti

A nice addition to the survey, from my point of view, would have been participation in the political process as a partisan, e.g., have you ever run for, or held, a partisan political office on a local, state or federal level?

by MBW 2007-02-05 04:39PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Survey Data, Part Two: Partisanship, Voti

My ideology requires that I vote third party when it's safe because third parties are doomed in a two-party system enforced by a winner-take-all, first-past-the-post geographical based electoral structure. When it's not safe I vote Democratic.

by Jeff Wegerson 2007-02-05 04:51PM | 0 recs
Oops my comment was meant for Chris. n/t

by Jeff Wegerson 2007-02-05 04:52PM | 0 recs
Rich, white, childless atheists..

...well that explains the computer time ;)

by BrionLutz 2007-02-05 05:03PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Survey Data, Part Two: Partisanship, Voti

The question:

2. How do you ideologically self-identify?

did not provide the option "Leftist", so I chose "Other".

;-)