Net Neutrality Floor Fight at the MI Democratic Convention

Politics is a game of inches.  And while the Federal level is stalemated, and the state level is a battlefield, and the FCC is a battlefield, the fight is heading all the way to party platforms.

Tomorrow, the Michigan state Democratic Party is holding its annual convention, and there's an attempt to get net neutrality enshrined into the party platform.  Michigan is the state in which AT&T recently secured cable franchising rights, setting back the ability of net neutrality advocates to protect the internet.  But the bloggers are striking back, and Jennifer Granholm has promised to push for net neutrality protections next cycle.

Apparently, AT&T is strong-arming CWA into fighting the net neutrality resolution, and the AFL-CIO may follow CWA's lead (or maybe not).  The convention is in Detroit, which strengthens labor's hand because there are more labor people who can attend the convention more easily.  Official business at the convention takes place between 3-5pm tomorrow, so we'll know more then.  A floor fight is definitely possible.  We'll be represented - in the morning, there's a bloggers caucus, and various candidates and officials are going to pay them a visit.

The rationale for protecting net neutrality is to make Michigan more friendly to high tech startups, since there's an economic crisis in the state.  If you can get to the convention, you should go.

And follow Michiganliberal.com for more.

Tags: Jennifer Granholm, Michigan, net neutrality (all tags)

Comments

Off topic -- FOX nevada thing at Kos

Tom Collins jumps in the fray, to his credit.

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2007/2 /23/203348/727

To his discredit, he's not answering the questions directly, and he's not interested in taking in new information. I think he expected a slightly more positive response to his presence.

by lightyearsfromhome 2007-02-23 05:20PM | 0 recs
Re: Net Neutrality Floor Fight

Does the UAW have a position?  I sure hope so.

by howardpark 2007-02-23 06:06PM | 0 recs
Re: Net Neutrality Floor Fight

UAW - No offiicial position.

by Cordelia Lear 2007-02-23 06:23PM | 0 recs
Re: Net Neutrality Floor Fight at the MI Democrati

I really love to see the creativity that is going on with this issue. There are so many leverage points that would force compliance. While the big ISP's want to have a two-tiered network, the math doesn't work for them to have a somewhere two-tiered network. Get creative.

by Bob Brigham 2007-02-23 06:22PM | 0 recs
The CWA and the UAW

both tend to roll over for management whenever managers start talking about jobs. My sister was a shop steward at SBC(now ATT) in Michigan. Whenever management wanted some "screw the customer legislation" passed, it would tell the union that the bill was imperative for protecting their jobs. The CWA and SBC would send busloads of members to the state capitol to support the company's effort to shaft consumers. She knew that the company lied them about many things but believed all the crap about the regulatory fights. We all know how the UAW believes GM managers when it comes to any safety or mileage  regulations. If the unions only think of their own narrow interests they will lose their natural allies.

by MarvToler 2007-02-24 03:05AM | 0 recs
Its funny / I just saw a michigan commercial

.. A short history of America (R. Crumb)

by heyAnita 2007-02-24 06:06AM | 0 recs
Floor Fight at the MDC

Couple of points.  Unions are bleeding in MI.  We have lost 143K high wage jobs in just the last year.  They don't have much of a leg to stand on to fight business.  Why do both of these have to be done on the same day?  Even if the unions have to "pretend" they are opposed to net neutrality, they could throw the fight.  What is going on?  Why shouldn't the union support us?  We support them?

by dkmich 2007-02-24 06:35AM | 0 recs
Re: Floor Fight at the MDC

I don't really understand unions, to tell you the truth , as I am a researcher by trade and was once a computer programmer during my occupational slumming years.  Ok still am, but at least now I don't have to fight with India for my job.

Here's the thing - unions are in the wrong place, at the wrong time. A union member sees the participation as yet another debit on his or her paycheck,  that won't stop anyone or anything from sending his or her job overseas. Classic case in point, unions have never made inroads in the japanese car plants and those that left the union to work for honda or nissan, are never coming back - so that is their foot vote.

Then, of course, management never liked unions to begin with and under the bush administration corporations attained unprecedented control over american institutions.

For what its worth - in my view - i feel that the only way out for the unions is to use whatever infrastructure they have left to become the physical arm of the net roots. And they won't
have much time to do this, because the physical activities of moveon.org have already encompassed most of what I'm interested in. Imagine how insane it would be if someone walked up to me, when I was coding , and said that they could help keep my job from going overseas on the internet - wow.

But moveon.org would fight specific legislation and not debit my paycheck unless I chose to use my bankcard when I clicked on the link.

I've run out of patience. I couldn't care less.
(ah )
Do you have an opinion? A mind of your own?
I thought you were special. I thought you should know.

I used to amuse you...
I knew that I used you

Now your here and begging for a chance
Theres no way in hell I'd take you back

Do you have an opinion?
A mind of your own?
I thought you were special
I thought you should

But I've run out of patience
I've run out of comments
I am tired of your violence
I couldn't care less

I'm looking for a new.. .

(Garbage)