Morning Open Thread

I crashed hard last night, falling asleep at around 9:30. That is very strange for me, since I almost never go to sleep before 2 a.m. On the plus side, I woke up at about 4:45, and I have been able to be quite productive this morning. Working in the morning has been so nice, that I am considering changing my sleep schedule altogether.

This is a morning open thread. In the extended entry, I finally have the results of the second part of the MyDD reader survey. Hopefully, I will post the next part of the survey later today or tomorrow.
1,103 MyDD readers, 2/5-2/6

1. What is your partisan self-identification?
Democrat: 86.6%
Independent / No Party: 11.7%
Other Party: 1.5%
Republican: 0.2%

2. How do you ideologically self-identify?
Progressive: 53.7%
Liberal: 33.5%
Moderate / Mixed: 8.4%
Libertarian: 3.3%
Other / None: 1.1%
Conservative: 0.1%

3. Are you registered / eligible to vote in America?
Yes, eligible and registered: 96.1%
No, not eligible: 3.1%
No, eligible but not registered: 0.8%

4. Counting primaries / caucuses, general elections, and special elections, how many total times do you usually vote over the course of a four-year electoral cycle? To put this another way: how many times have you voted in public elections since February, 2003?
4-5: 28.7%
6-7: 24.3%
8 or more: 23.8%
2-3: 17.5%
I am not eligible to vote: 3.2%
0-1: 2.5%

5. When it comes to voting in a general election, what is more important to you: voting for the candidate nominated by your party, or voting for the candidate with whom you are most closely ideologically aligned?
Voting with my ideology: 44.4%
Voting with my party: 37.1%
Depends / Unsure: 18.5%

6. When voting in a general election, how often do you vote only for candidates from a single political party?
Almost always: 54.6%
Most of the time: 34.0%
About half of the time: 3.3%
Less than half of the time: 1.7%
Almost never: 4.2%
Not registered / eligible to vote: 2.3%

7. Should there be a third major political party in this country?
Yes: 32.6%
No: 31.2%
Depends / Unsure: 36.2%

8. The Democratic Party will be better off if it is...
Clear, coherent and ideologically unified: 48.9%
A big tent that welcomes all ideologies: 42.5%
Unsure / I am not a Democrat: 8.6%

9. In terms of ideology, the Democratic Party should...
Be more liberal / progressive: 62.4%
Be more populist / inspirational: 30.9%
Be more centrist / conservative: 2.1%
Unsure / I am not a Democrat: 4.5%

10. Do you currently hold, or have you ever held, Democratic Party office, such as precinct captain, convention delegate, county committee, state committee, or national committee?
No: 82.2%
Yes: 17.8%

Tags: Democrats, Demographics, Ideology, meta, Open Threads (all tags)

Comments

#5

very interesting and the most surprising.

I highly recommend rising early -- everything's so fresh then!

by Klio 2007-02-15 04:04AM | 0 recs
Re: #5
Only problem is, it requires going to bed early. I'm not very good at that.
by Chris Bowers 2007-02-15 04:44AM | 0 recs
Kids help.

Just have some kids.

I think this one is very important and should be broadcast to every candidate and party official.

No: 82.2%
Yes: 17.8%

by Robert P 2007-02-15 05:29AM | 0 recs
Re: Kids help.

yup.  Once you have children, you learn the hard way that the morning comes whether you're ready for it or not.  Also, they're quite exhausting in the early years and you find yourself craving sleep.

by Klio 2007-02-15 05:42AM | 0 recs
Re: Morning Open Thread

I would like to see some metrics on here on Diaries... Specifically, DIaries on the 2008 contenders... How many positive and negative on each candidate?  Not sure if possible... the reason I bring it up is positive or negative, it seems like the number of Obama diaries is at least double to triple those of any other candidate.... they say any publicity is good publicity but I'm a bit surprised.

by yitbos96bb 2007-02-15 04:26AM | 0 recs
Survey

It appears your link is to the first part of the durvey, not the second.

by Arthurkc 2007-02-15 04:37AM | 0 recs
Re: Survey
This is the second part.
by Chris Bowers 2007-02-15 04:44AM | 0 recs
Ford Jr. joins Merrill Lynch

Open thread: any comment on Harold Ford Jr's plans to join Merrill Lynch?
http://nashville.bizjournals.com/memphis /stories/2007/02/12/daily20.html?jst=b_l n_hl

How will this and his teaching gig at Vanderbilt affect his work with the DLC? seems like he's spreading himself kind of thin, geographically if not otherwise.

by mmiddle 2007-02-15 05:59AM | 0 recs
Re: Ford Jr. joins Merrill Lynch

I think he is just the figurehead at the DLC.  Especially given his schedule as we know it now.

by Calvin Jones and the 13th Apostle 2007-02-15 06:58AM | 0 recs
Re: Morning Open Thread

I would like to see question 7 expanded a bit.  It would be interesting to hear from those who wish for a third party.  I would like to know how they would go about forming and building one up and what they want to see.

by ANewHope 2007-02-15 06:01AM | 0 recs
Minnesota ..

Does anyone really think that Coleman will get 57% in the election?  Challenging a Senate incumbent is never easy ... but even if Norm were to get re-elected(which requires an absolute miracle on Iraq) .. I doubt he'll get more than 51% in the general

by Calvin Jones and the 13th Apostle 2007-02-15 07:01AM | 0 recs
Re: Morning Open Thread

Changing your sleep schedule would be very anti-west coast

by Bob Brigham 2007-02-15 07:26AM | 0 recs
Re: Morning Open Thread

4:45 AM, that's bedtime. Maybe once a year I get the dumbass idea to alter my schedule. The early morning hours offer nothing, other than people I generally share no similarities with, annoying dew on the putting greens, and too much damn sun.

by Gary Kilbride 2007-02-15 07:52AM | 0 recs
Altering your sleep pattern is beneficial

At least altering MY sleep pattern is beneficial.  I've found I fall into routines of 11pm-5am or 1am-7am (give or take an hour).  Once I notice I've been in one routine for awhile I purposefully change the times I sleep and it seems to reinvigorate me creatively.  I'm much more focues and productive for a short time.

Another sleep altering pattern I've noticed is if I sleep somewhere different in the house (couch, guest room or even convince the wife to switch sides) I dream like crazy!

by tomanjeri 2007-02-15 08:45AM | 0 recs