More Resignations! More Apologies!

Melissa McEwan has now also resigned:
I regret to say that I have also resigned from the Edwards campaign. In spite of what was widely reported, I was not hired as a blogger, but a part-time technical advisor, which is the role I am vacating.

I would like to make very clear that the campaign did not push me out, nor was my resignation the back-end of some arrangement made last week. This was a decision I made, with the campaign's reluctant support, because my remaining the focus of sustained ideological attacks was inevitably making me a liability to the campaign, and making me increasingly uncomfortable with my and my family's level of exposure.

I understand that there will be progressive bloggers who feel I am making the wrong decision, and I offer my sincerest apologies to them. One of the hardest parts of this decision was feeling as though I'm letting down my peers, who have been so supportive.

There will be some who clamor to claim victory for my resignation, but I caution them that in doing so, they are tacitly accepting responsibility for those who have deluged my blog and my inbox with vitriol and veiled threats. It is not right-wing bloggers, nor people like Bill Donohue or Bill O'Reilly, who prompted nor deserve credit for my resignation, no matter how much they want it, but individuals who used public criticisms of me as an excuse to unleash frightening ugliness, the likes of which anyone with a modicum of respect for responsible discourse would denounce without hesitation.

This is a win for no one.
You can see a sampling of the kind of email she is talking about over at Pandagon. I received droves of the same type of stuff during the Googlebomb campaign, so I know where she is coming from on that. Back in October, I pulled the media plug on the googlebomb campaign because I thought the way it was being reported would reflect badly on Democrats in the 2006 elections, and the sheer number of media requests I was receiving had the sense of a feeding frenzy. I imagine she feels like she is in the same circumstance, and the only way to pull the media plug is to resign.

Clearly, the right is able to attack us with impunity. Japanesse internment justifying Michelle Malkin goes on the air to bash Marcotte and McEwan, while the people who read Malkin's blog send death and rape threats to them. And even the media reports on the matter make the Michelle Malkin's of the world look like the sane hero in this situation, while Marcotte and McEwan are evil. And then a bunch of Democrats, including a few commenters at MyDD, will give Malkin, O'Reilly and Donohue cover for this by saying that Marcotte and McEwan were out of line. Rinse and repeat.

You know what? I don't want Hillary Clinton to apologize for her war vote anymore, because I am sick of Democrats apologizing. You know what else? I think someone, maybe BlogPac, should produce some sort of guide for independent bloggers with no experience working on statewide or presidential campaigns both what they should expect and what they should demand when they are first hired. Clearly, this wasn't something that Amanda and Melissa wanted to do. Then again, this entire experience might make such a guide moot, considering how much publicity this received online.

And yes, even though I know both Amanda and Melissa made the sort of decision that feel was right for them and true to themselves, I do feel let down. But I'm not going to ask her to apologize for it.

Tags: Blogosphere (all tags)

Comments

Re: More Resignations! More Apologies!

I still want Hillary to apologize, her mistake cost lives.

As for this case, I know I've lost a great deal of respect for how badly the Edwards campaign dealt with this.

by Bob Brigham 2007-02-13 02:01PM | 0 recs
Re: More Resignations! More Apologies!

Her mistake was huge, but it didn't cost lives. Do not make the mistake of laying the blame for Iraq at the feet of any Democrats. We need to remember where the blame really belongs.

by JDF 2007-02-13 03:46PM | 0 recs
Re: More Resignations! More Apologies!

I do blame her and believe she should be held to account.

by Bob Brigham 2007-02-13 03:48PM | 0 recs
Re: More Resignations! More Apologies!

If she hadn't voted the way she did, the war still would have been fought. It wasn't her fault alone that brought us to Iraq, it was the Bush Administration's. This mess is the Republican's creation, not Hillary's.

That said, she should not have enabled the Republicans. For that you can blame her. She should have asked tougher questions, looked deeper into claims of WMDs and spoken out against the war, and of course voted against it. She should be held to account for that. But let's remember who the true culprits are.

by afertig 2007-02-13 07:39PM | 0 recs
Re: More Resignations! More Apologies!

Suprise, suprise. The hillary corps wants to give her a pass on this, like just about everything else. Nobody should get a pass on this. Not if they apologized, not if they didn't. Their vote damaged the bases confidence in the party to an extent that will not be repaired until most of these politicians are dead or retired. This distrust goes beyond the deterious effects of a decade of triangulation. These people knew better than this. They knew that their supporters would hate them for it. They did it anyway. They cared more about what some washington reporter wants than what their supporters want and as such they will never be able to secure the base of the party.

by SoulTim 2007-02-14 02:47AM | 0 recs
Let's pass the buck all the way shall we?

Don't forget that an overwhelming majority of the American public were for the war. Going against the will of their constituents for such a heated issue would have been political suicide for most Democrats.

I don't want to come across as an america-basher because I'm not. But progressives in the United States need to remember that the biggest enabling factor in the Iraq War was popular opinion at the time.

by Jose 2007-02-14 05:49AM | 0 recs
Re: More Resignations! More Apologies!

Personally, I don't want an apology from Hillary; I just want a realization of the real problem with her position in 2002. Without getting to the root of the problem, we as a country are in danger of making the same mistake again.

As for this situation, I really feel horrible for both Amanda and Melissa. It's not their fault any of this happened. I'm not in the same situation as Chris, but I certainly don't feel let down by them.

It's a sad, sad situation.

There's a real sickness in the right-wing of this country that needs some attention. The eliminationist rhetoric of folks like Michael Savage, the LGF folks, and others has taken root far too much for my comfort.

by BriVT 2007-02-13 04:24PM | 0 recs
I feel bad for the threats.

Geezz Chris, I really had no idea about that, I can understand her position to leave.  I hope all goes well for both of them.

by dk2 2007-02-13 02:05PM | 0 recs
Re: I feel bad for the threats.

There are some sick individuals out there. Violent, sick whackjobs. Those that fuel the far rightwing.

by NCDemAmy 2007-02-13 02:12PM | 0 recs
Re: More Resignations! More Apologies!

The main problem with Hillary was not the war vote, but the total lack of help she gave those who were trying to put limits on the President's misadventures over the last 4 years.  She would not need to keep apologizing if she at least did a Murtha or even an Edwards. Aknowledge mistakes were made.

By lumping in real mistakes made with a non  mistake like the hiring of the bloggers is muddying the issue. Edwwards people should have come out strongly and said something along these lines when this became an issue "Look, we hired them as technical and operationals consultants, not policy advisors. They have every right to express them how they feel in their private time. We can play this game and start pointing out staff members of every candidate and finding flaws in a lot of them."

by Pravin 2007-02-13 02:06PM | 0 recs
Re: More Resignations! More Apologies!

Melissa does not need to apologize but it was kind of her to do so.

I don't want to Hillary to apologize either. I'd like her to admit her vote was wrong and take responsibility. Accountability is important.

by NCDemAmy 2007-02-13 02:10PM | 0 recs
Re: More Resignations! More Apologies!

I wonder if the Edwards campaign just kept them on for a few days and did not make them immediately resign.

by robliberal 2007-02-13 02:12PM | 0 recs
Re: More Resignations! More Apologies!

No, they did not.  As I said in my post: "[T]he campaign did not push me out, nor was my resignation the back-end of some arrangement made last week."  I have a lot of flaws, but being a liar is not among them.

by Shakes 2007-02-13 02:20PM | 0 recs
Re: More Resignations! More Apologies!

So the right-wing whackjobs got to you, is that what you're saying?

I don't think you're a liar.  But I'm wondering if you're as strong a person as I thought you were.  That's the only other reason I can see for you leaving.  You had an opportunity to change the world, and a bunch of savages scared you away from it.

by liberalrob 2007-02-13 02:34PM | 0 recs
Re: More Resignations! More Apologies!

jesus christ what is your problem? are you trying to be funny?

by aiko 2007-02-13 02:41PM | 0 recs
Re: More Resignations! More Apologies!

I find it a little out of bounds to make it into a personal criticism about someone like you did. I hope others share the same thoughts as me on that. It has been a difficult enough experience for them without trying to make them feel worse.

by robliberal 2007-02-13 02:42PM | 0 recs
Re: More Resignations! More Apologies!

Are they leaders or are they not.  If they don't want to be leaders and in the line of fire or don't want to deal with the nutcases then fine they made the right decision to leave.  Personally I wish they would have fought it out, and from what I knew of them from their writings I expected they would.  They decided not to, and I want to make damn sure of why because of the potential chilling effect this whole episode could have on our participation in the "real" political world.  If they think they're just protecting Edwards, I want it emphatically clear that in my opinion Edwards doesn't need protecting.  If he's just another politician with his finger in the wind (or if his campaign is, which is what I suspect) I think we need to know that.  They've both said Edwards didn't push them out, so taking them at their word, what then could possibly be the reason they quit?  I thought these were strong people who held strong beliefs.

As far as them feeling worse, I don't see how that could be possible; I'm sure they are as pissed and/or depressed at how it's worked out as anyone would be.

by liberalrob 2007-02-13 03:01PM | 0 recs
Re: More Resignations! More Apologies!

How rude and who are you to call her a liar?

Shakes' career is not over. She simply chose not to work on this one presidential campaign. I would imagine she will continue and do quite well for herself.

by NCDemAmy 2007-02-13 02:49PM | 0 recs
Re: More Resignations! More Apologies!

Like everyone else so far you're ignoring my point and just seeing me questioning two wonderful people.  I agree with you that neither of their careers are over- except as participants in any future political campaigns, because you can bet that as soon as they showed up on a campaign staff this would get dragged out again.  And from this day forward, anyone who has made controversial statements or used harsh language can just forget about working on a campaign staff.  Can none of you see why I find this so troubling?

by liberalrob 2007-02-13 03:05PM | 0 recs
Re: More Resignations! More Apologies!

I didnt say you were, sorry if it came across that way. The timing of both resignations just days afterward is why people will ask that question.

I am curious why it was not mentioned until today that you were not hired as a blogger but as "a part-time technical advisor". That would seem to be an important point that has been lost in all of this.

by robliberal 2007-02-13 02:37PM | 0 recs
Re: More Resignations! More Apologies!

I hear you - it is hard to believe, that you and Amanda would go out the same way though.  Both of you would wait a few days, then resign soon after. The two of you are different people, but the same action pattern, LOOKS suspicious.

My deep sympathies to what has gone on - I can only imagine the vitriol you have encountered, especially since you didn't deserve it, at all.

All round, the whole rightwing smear wurlitzer, it's so very very destructive.

a.  You and Amanda are subject to incredible hate, for what - a couple of questionable posts, and in your case, nothing at all.
b.  That wurlitzer will "hate" you guys for the next ten years.
c.  That same wurlitzer will now crow that they have cowed the two of you - so they have "success", which will just encourage them more.
d.  As has been seen, all of this has been aided and abetted by the MSM, accessories to this crime.
e.  The rightwing wurlitzer will now be doubly encouraged to continue with the slime machine, since it seems to work, in branding outspoken liberals as "crazy/incivil", or, when bending knee and submitting to the wurlitzer, cowards and wusses.

Again, I can only imagine the position you find yourself in, and you have my deepest sympathies.

by jc 2007-02-13 02:39PM | 0 recs
Re: More Resignations! More Apologies!

Shake, I will find your blog and become a regular visitor.  I'm sorry you had to suffer through this.  Hang in there.

by littafi 2007-02-13 02:56PM | 0 recs
Re: More Resignations! More Apologies!

You go grrl. Sad to lose you ... and yes, sad for the campaign's sake, but even more sad for the sake of the Republic.

And everyone, remember to turn Donohue in as a tax cheat. When pandagon is back up, go there and get the form.

And until pandagon is up, you can get more info from   Amanda's suspended panda page Nya nya nya nya, right wing punks (yeah, I know they can't hear me), bring pandagon down and you get slammed by the please stand by. Scum.

by BruceMcF 2007-02-13 03:09PM | 0 recs
Re: More Resignations! More Apologies!
You don't have to wait until Pandagon comes back up, Phoenix Woman has all the tools you need at her place.
http://phoenixwoman.wordpress.com/2007/0 2/13/sow-the-wind-reap-the-whirlwind/
by shayera 2007-02-13 09:28PM | 0 recs
Re: More Resignations! More Apologies!

That was the lamest-feeling "3" I've ever given, as if a stupid "recommend" of a comment could make a difference.

I'm really sorry, Shakes, for what you've gone through and are going through.

by BriVT 2007-02-13 04:30PM | 0 recs
Re: More Resignations! More Apologies!

I belive you.  But, in the same way that peole are never believed when they say they want to spend more time with their family, the general public perception is not going to be that you left under your own power.  That's not fair, but unfortunately it is the case.

by Ian Welsh 2007-02-13 09:48PM | 0 recs
why don't you respect Amanda and Shakes

enough to belive them. I am tired of this line of attack from people who are predisposed to hate Edwards.

They say that did not happen.  They both are agonizing over this.

You disrespect them and Senator Edwards when you sy crap like this.

Knock it off.  They aren;t lying.  And you shouldn't accuse them of lying.

by DrFrankLives 2007-02-13 02:28PM | 0 recs
Re: why don't you respect Amanda and Shakes

They had a golden opportunity to advance the progressive agenda, and they resigned.  Who's the next Edwards blogger going to be?  Is it going to now be a requirement that in order to be considered for a position on a campaign staff that you have not EVER posted a controversial statement?  Amanda and Melissa were important symbols of our side of the blogosphere; that's part of why they were attacked.  If they're going to be leaders, they are going to have to stand up to this kind of stuff.

This blows.  I wanted to see them make the Edwards campaign a vital and vibrant cause people with a wide array of differing, often conflicting viewpoints could get behind.  What the Dean campaign was on its way to becoming before the media killed it.  Instead, the first nutcase that comes along makes a big stink and before you know it they've both quit.

As far as them not lying, I'm sure they're not but nevertheless it rings hollow to me.  I've lived through too many campaign seasons now and seen too many staffers "resign" after indiscretions are brought up and trumpeted by some whacko or other.  You join the campaign in the first place because you want to see the candidate elected; of course your natural inclination is going to be to shield that candidate from anything negative.  So maybe they aren't lying, but are they really telling the complete truth?  I'd like to believe that they are, but the way this played just doesn't seem kosher to me.

by liberalrob 2007-02-13 02:48PM | 0 recs
Re: why don't you respect Amanda and Shakes

It is a matter of personal choice what people decide to do with their lives and that includes whether they want to continue with a particular employment situation. They are under no obligation to advance the "progressive agenda".

by robliberal 2007-02-13 02:53PM | 0 recs
Of course you're right

Nobody is obligated to be the standard-bearer for a movement.  But you can bet that we're going to have waste a lot of time now fighting against the meme the Republicans are going to advance, that we're all like those vulgarian feminazis they forced to resign from the Edwards campaign.  You know that's what they're going to say.

And I for one had hoped for much more when they were hired.  So to some degree, yes, they were my standard-bearers and I don't want to let them go without a fight.  If people as well-known as they are can't make it, what chance do I have of ever making a difference?

by liberalrob 2007-02-13 03:19PM | 0 recs
Re: Of course you're right

Taking a job with a political campaign does not mean that someone wants instant martyrdom. We should not put expectations on people they never agreed to or expected when they signed on a job.

by robliberal 2007-02-13 03:32PM | 0 recs
Re: Of course you're right

they would advance that anyway.

they are trolls. they keep up the same attack regardless of what you say.

by DrFrankLives 2007-02-13 06:27PM | 0 recs
Re: why don't you respect Amanda and Shakes

They will have many more opportunities and frankly, they may well have more of a platform now. I don't doubt that both of these talented women will pick up that megaphone and use it.

by NCDemAmy 2007-02-13 02:53PM | 0 recs
I agree NCDemAmy

I'd read Amanda before, but not Shakes.  I have since corrected that.  I think both would have been an asset to the Edwards campaign.  I believe they will both be  greater assets to the liberal community doing what they both seem to do so well without the restrictions placed on them by a campaign.

I will be visiting both more frequently.

by The Southern Dem 2007-02-13 04:15PM | 0 recs
Re: why don't you respect Amanda and Shakes

I am not going to insist that other people risk the their own well-being or that of their family in order to serve my political agenda. That is a bit much to ask for a part-time advisory position.

by BruceMcF 2007-02-13 03:11PM | 0 recs
Re: why don't you respect Amanda and Shakes

Dr. Frank, we agree over here also.  Litigators got to stick together.

by littafi 2007-02-13 02:57PM | 0 recs
Absolutely...

...I'm sure the staff applied much below-the-radar "pressure" - "See what you're doing to the cause?", "We wouldn't be going through this if you weren't here", etc. etc. etc.

Anyone who thinks otherwise has never worked in Corporate America - oe politics.

by dave1021 2007-02-13 08:39PM | 0 recs
No way this was intentional by Edwards campaign

There is no way these delayed resignations were intended by the Edwards campaign.  Because if they were then it is the worst possible of all worlds.  The "Catholics" are still mad because Edwards kept the bloggers, now some "bloggers" are upset because they think Edwards forced out Marcotte and McEwan.

That makes no sense.

I'm sure the resignations were sincere.

by KickinIt 2007-02-13 02:21PM | 0 recs
Re: No way

Me, too.  Sometimes people really tell the truth.  Notice how none of the Dem candidates stepped up to support them other than Edwards. This is why we lose.

John Edwards chose to keep them and take the flack.  They chose to leave.  Let's support them all.

Somehow I doubt that.  There's a feeding frenzy at dkos now for supporters of other candidates to spin this against Edwards.

I beginning to like MyDD more -- the conversation seems more rational here.

by littafi 2007-02-13 02:29PM | 0 recs
Re: No way

as for other campaigns standing up for them, i appreciate that people are all kinds of peeved that others sat this one out, but it's probably worth remembering that we're in the first leg of what will be a bloody battle.  there wasn't much to gain from defending edwards and a lot to risk attaching one's name to this mess.  it's also not even clear it was the right thing to do, defend edwards that is.  i frankly thought hiring bloggers was a catastrophically stupid thing for both sides.  independent media is no longer independent if it's fucking fully co-opted.  (both melissa and amanda seemed pretty resigned to self-censorship.)  as it is, most big blogs are treading a very fine line on their independence and it's probably only a matter of time before people forget about the line altogether.  (like the way the white stripes made people forget there was a difference between independent and corporate music that went beyond the sounds the artists made.) as for edwards, well, perhaps his heart was in the right place, but this is the consequence of having a less programmatic, predictable campaign.  if that's how he plans on running this thing, more power to him, but these kinds of mistakes aren't abberational by any stretch when one considers the tenor of the edwards camp.  live and learn.  both parties will move on, but the writing was on the wall.

by beyondo98 2007-02-13 03:04PM | 0 recs
Re: No way

THere were many Dem leaders not taking part in the primary. Why were they so quiet?

by Pravin 2007-02-13 03:56PM | 0 recs
Re: More Resignations! More Apologies!

Maybe I am missing something big here, but as far as I know candidates are often held accountable for the words and behavior (past and present) of the company that they keep--their staff.  It may be an ugly or unfair side to politics but it isn't a new idea.  And as one of the commenters who wondered aloud if bashing catholics was any different from bashing gays or blacks or jews.  I stand by that.

by aiko 2007-02-13 02:21PM | 0 recs
Re: More Resignations! More Apologies!

Not true.  A journalist press secretary's former editorials are not campaign fodder.  The only reason this is an issue is because blogging is a new and the MSM predisposed to discrediting it.  Also the role of Amanda and Melissa in the Edwards organisation was never clearly articulated and most people assumed they would be doing hands-on blogging, which I understand was not intended.

by Shaun Appleby 2007-02-13 02:37PM | 0 recs
They didn't "bash Catholics."

Amanda Marcotte expressed her disagreement with Catholic policies against birth control which most American Catholics disagree with.

Melissa McEwan described some of Bush's supporters as "Christofascist."

by Eric Jaffa 2007-02-14 09:13AM | 0 recs
Re: More Resignations! More Apologies!

I knew you would say this Chris, as I alluded in my diary about Shakes to your post earlier today.  No criticism, more agreement, but we have to hold not only the RWN establishment, but the so-called liberal MSM accountable as well.  That's what I like about Blogpac.

by benny06 2007-02-13 02:25PM | 0 recs
Re: More Resignations! More Apologies!

I figured she would follow quickly once Amanda left.

Look, I empathize and accept that this shitstorm was pretty damn scary, and on a campaign staff you're not some anonymous blogger (though neither had made a serious attempt to hide their identities even before joining up).  But really, if the reason they are leaving is the ugliness and rape threats and worse, I have to say, what did they expect?  After the years spent blogging about how backwards and barbaric the right-wing nutcases are, how could it come as a total shock that they would be personally threatened?  I don't excuse it at all; this kind of crap should NOT happen in America.  But nevertheless, we read about it on blogs and in newspapers and see it on the news all the time.  This is who the worst of the right-wingers ARE.  This is what they do.  And this is why we fight them.

I just find it hard to completely believe that Amanda and Melissa were scared away from the campaign by these vile and outrageous threats.  Do they believe they will be any safer now that they are away from the campaign?  And is this something that is going to limit them to essentially being little more than online cheerleaders?  What about the next time they try to actually take action on their beliefs?  Will threats of physical violence scare them away then?  I thought they were stronger people than this.  I think they're going to have to be, at some point.

And that's why I just find it hard to accept that the campaign didn't encourage them to resign.  Everything these two have ever posted just says "strong person" who wouldn't be cowed like this.  That, and what I have read and watched on how campaigns work, both in media and in real life.  I think they are taking principled stands and trying to save further embarrassment for a campaign that they truly want to succeed; but it's a campaign that has treated them poorly, and if what I suspect has happened is true, one that doesn't deserve them.

by liberalrob 2007-02-13 02:27PM | 0 recs
We eat our own

I've gotten hate mail from the right for posts I've made in the past. It was vicious, and it didn't make me feel very safe. At that level, I don't blame Melissa for doing what she thought was prudent for her.

That said, the worst actors in this whole drama were the "progressive Christians" who just had to go on the record and tell the world how offended they were by Melissa and Amanda. It was more important for them to wallow in their victimization than it was for them to retain sight of the LARGER goal here -- to elect a progressive-Christian-friendly President like John Edwards.

I'm not saying people didn't have a right to be offended. I am saying that in the interest of the greater goal at hand, could it have been so hard to keep the offense-taking at a PRIVATE level, while offering PUBLIC support to Amanda and Melissa, who, after all, are after the same ultimate goal these "progressive Christians" are? Theoretically, anyway? Why couldn't these "progressive Christians" just grit their teeth, maybe privately admonish the bloggers if they wanted to, and then let it go?

Well, the Edwards campaign has lost some momentum and credibility. But hey, we all know now that a few Edwards-supporting Christians didn't care for the blog posts. I'm sure it was a tradeoff worth making.

by Master Jack 2007-02-13 02:31PM | 0 recs
Re: More Resignations! More Apologies!

I'm terribly disappointed by the Edwards campaign. They should have been willing to fight to support the people they'd just hired.

by Coral 2007-02-13 02:41PM | 0 recs
Re: More Resignations! More Apologies!

Wow.  Coral.  Read.  Shakes said that the campaign reluctantly agreed to the resignation - consider the context, a lynch mob has been after them: Death threats, Coral.  And you're terribly disappointed by the Edwards campaign?!  Get a grip.

by dereau 2007-02-13 02:52PM | 0 recs
Re: More Resignations! More Apologies!

The FBI should locate the posters of the death threats so that they can be charged with making terrorisitc threats.

by Sam I Am 2007-02-13 04:27PM | 0 recs

Attack. Attack. Attack.

Could we please stop playing defence. It is getting on my nerves.

Counter-attack. Anything but all this apologising and agreeing with the frames set by the right.

by kundalini 2007-02-13 02:58PM | 0 recs
Re: More Resignations! More Apologies!

I long for the day when we, or the mainstream media, start questioning the Christianity of people like Donohue and the rape-emailers.

How Christian can you be if you threaten murder or rape? You're a Christian going to hell.

If they want to claim a moral high ground, then we need to start holding them accountable to their faith.

Tucker Carlson questioned Obama's Christianity the other night. Maybe it's time we start questioning the Christianity of the most hostile members of the Religious Right.

by Naturegal 2007-02-13 03:03PM | 0 recs
Re: More Resignations! More Apologies!

I didn't like what Marcotte said, don't like her writing style, and thought she was not the sort of person the Edwards campaign should have hired.

McEwan I had no problem with. :/

I don't like Donohue or his ilk, but I even a broken clock is right twice per day. And I don't think ever agreeing with him is always a bad thing.

by Senori 2007-02-13 03:13PM | 0 recs
Re: More Resignations! More Apologies!

I've generally found Marcotte a bit much to take.  But I don't honestly care about that right now.

There's a big difference between 'a bit too much to take' and a mob of online brownshirts threatening death, rape, and whatever else to two women whose only crimes were speaking their mind and getting hired by a political campaign.

I'm also pissed at the Roman Catholic Church in a big way.  Donohue claimed to speak for Catholicism, and if any cardinal, any bishop, contradicted him on this, I sure missed it.  Instead, the loathsome rabble-rousing bigot was given the high ground of Defender Of The Faith.

If that's the sort of institution the RCC is these days, then fuck the Catholic Church with a chainsaw.

by RT 2007-02-13 03:59PM | 0 recs
Re: More Resignations! More Apologies!

Certainly the people who threaten and attack, be they liberal or conservative, should be decried strongly. And, so too, should people have the right to speak their word.

But people should also have consequences for their actions. Marcotte's comments were, for better or worse, incredibly offensive to a very large number of people. They certainly had the right to be offensive, but at the same time, people have the right to say that it's offensive bigotry.

As for Donohue; although he is certainly a blowhard, I don't believe that he claimed to speak for the ecclesiastical authorities of the Church. He might have claimed to speak for Catholics, but that is something else entirely.

by Senori 2007-02-13 04:57PM | 0 recs
Re: More Resignations! More Apologies!

The loathsome rabble-rousing bigot might not speak for most rank and file Christians, but he's right on par for the hierarchy.  It's not surprising that they didn't condemn him.

This is, after all, the same group that destroyed liberation theology, protected (and even promoted) pedophile priests, blatantly attacked John Kerry in hypocritical violation of the tax code, and has long promoted anti-Semitism.

by libdevil 2007-02-13 06:26PM | 0 recs

Is that right?

by Senori 2007-02-13 07:44PM | 0 recs
That resignation letter is beyond pathetic

It reads like a puddle.

I didn't follow this situation and have no idea who Amanda and Melissa are, but if I ran a right wing blog I'd sticky that letter to the top of the front page as a laughfest for at least a couple of months.

Was there a weakling phrase she left out?

"I regret to say..."

"In spite of what was widely reported..."

"I would like to make very clear..."

"decision I made, with the campaign's reluctant support..."

"sincerest apologies..."

"hardest parts of this decision was feeling as though I'm letting down my peers..."

Gad, I need to bolt to a sports forum and insult someone. Just pasting that crap is making me shake.

by Gary Kilbride 2007-02-13 03:45PM | 0 recs
Re: More Resignations! More Apologies!

Hillary's war vote is a policy issue.

This is just right-wing bullshit.

by Matt Stoller 2007-02-13 03:48PM | 0 recs
On The AP Wire...

(02-13) 17:14 PST Raleigh, N.C. (AP) --

A second blogger working for Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards quit Tuesday under pressure from conservative critics who said her previous online messages were anti-Catholic.

Melissa McEwan wrote on her personal blog, Shakespeare's Sister, that she left the campaign because she was becoming increasingly uncomfortable with the level of attention focused on her and her family.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg i?f=/n/a/2007/02/13/politics/p171426S05. DTL&type=politics

by robliberal 2007-02-13 03:52PM | 0 recs
Counterattack

THe only way you can teach someone a lesson is to let them know actions have consequences. If they hit you , you got to hit back. That is about the only sentiment I agree with Hillary on this campaign trail. Unless these people know that we can do just as easily to them what they do to us, they will keep doing with impunity what they do.

by Pravin 2007-02-13 03:58PM | 0 recs
Re: More Resignations! - Slinking Away?

Hmm. I understand the tactical wisdom of attempting to cut losses, but this whole episode now smells of caving in to the most rabid of the Rovian Right.

Let's see how much spine and principle Edwards displays as the campaign rolls on. I fail to see what he has to gain by allowing his campaign to cave in to pressure from medieval bigots like the Catholic League's Bill Donahue.

And remember, Edwards actually co-sponsored the AUMF against Iraq in October, 2002. It seemed to be the politically expedient thing for a presidential candidate to do then. Easing out a couple of religious skeptics and supporters of contraception and reproductive rights appears to his campaign to be expedient now.

Once we burrow past Edwards' smile, his impressive rags-to-riches story, his successful cultivation of unions, and his fund-raising among trial lawyers, will we ultimately find any "there, there?" I hope so. But he is leaving us some room for doubt.

We know that 30 to 35 percent of the voting public will forever remain as Rove's impenetrable, hard core base, i.e.,  the new GOP--paving the way to the 11th Century. The Rovian Hard Core will never vote for a progressive candidate.

But that leaves at least 65 percent of the public in the reality-based community. Surely there must be one Democratic candidate who can draw from the lessons of the Enlightenment and the wisdom of our Founders to appeal to this remaining two-thirds of the voting public and to forego pandering to medieval bigots.

Who cares what the Foxist Noise Channel reports to its viewers?

by FMArouet 2007-02-13 04:42PM | 0 recs
Re: More Resignations! - Slinking Away?

Do you honestly believe that no one outside of this "Rovian 35%" would be offended personally by the sort of comments that Marcotte made?

by Senori 2007-02-13 04:58PM | 0 recs
Re: More Resignations! - Slinking Away?

Reading Comprehension is a plus...Edwards kept the bloggers. They chose to resign under their own volition, because of death threats and the like against them. Edwards cannot snap his fingers and make the death threats go away, can he?

If you're criticizing Edwards for this, you're just helping Donohoe and his extremist friends.

by College Progressive 2007-02-13 06:30PM | 0 recs
If You Believe That...

...I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you.

Act now and I'll throw in this bag of magic beans!

As for this:

Edwards cannot snap his fingers and make the death threats go away, can he?

If he had any balls and stood up against these bullies, that would have been a big help. Maybe he can spare some of his precious staffers to help track down who's directing the DOS attacks against Marcotte. As a former US Senator, I bet he's got a lot of good law enforcement contacts.

But that would require a spine.

by dave1021 2007-02-13 08:36PM | 0 recs
Re: If You Believe That...

Right. So your assumptions are based on well...assumptions with no factual or demonstated basis.

Nice argument.

by College Progressive 2007-02-14 05:33AM | 0 recs
Re: More Resignations! More Apologies!

Unbelievable. I can't believe that this is the outcome that occurred.

by PsiFighter37 2007-02-13 04:50PM | 0 recs
A very good point about Edwards hiring bloggers in

this thread. I would never work for a campaign as a paid blogger. That is not what we should be doing. That said, this disgusting news really pisses me off I didn't quit and I'm not going to.

From now on there will be one post per week about the vile scumbag Donohue.

And...

If yer ReighWing mouthbreathers and WhackJob Theocratic Liars wanna drop by...

Be ready.

We play rough.

And we don't quit.

by Pericles 2007-02-13 04:59PM | 0 recs
Re: More Resignations! More Apologies!

And yes, even though I know both Amanda and Melissa made the sort of decision that [they] feel was right for them and true to themselves, I do feel let down. But I'm not going to ask her to apologize for it.

That you would even think of asking her to apologize  -- and then laud yourself for your restraint  -- mystifies me.

I hope I'm misreading your tone here . . . because really, it seems as if these two women have been through enough this week without having to add the disapproval of prominent liberal bloggers to the mix.

by TatteredCoat 2007-02-13 05:09PM | 0 recs
Re: More Resignations! More Apologies!

I basically agree with you on this...

But...

The phrase, 'Bite off more than you can chew...' comes to mind.

To retreat in the face of ReichWing pushback, yeah death threats comin' over your cable modem, is not a progressive act. It's not as they say: 'Helpful'.

I just find this caving in very disappointing.

It would be good if Edwards went on the attack against Donohue who is eminently vulnerable.

It's baffling how folks who claim to be 'progressive' are unwilling to fight. It's one of my criteria actually which is why Obama doesn't get a nod from me. Edwards is looking very shaky on this.

Disappointing.

Union organizers were killed, their families burnt out of their homes in the 1870s and 80s. Henry Ford used machine guns on unionists in Detroit and the fat-assed bigot and hate-pimp Donahue opens his foul pie-hole and everybody wants to hide.

I say: Fuck That!

by Pericles 2007-02-13 05:26PM | 0 recs
Meh

Edwards did stick up for his staffers, they quit because of the pressure, I would have. Edwards should have gone over their records more carefully, there are plenty of liberal bloggers who don't go around insulting Catholicism.

by delmoi 2007-02-13 05:29PM | 0 recs
Oh, Bullshit

If Edwards didn't push them out, he certainly held the door open and provided a helpful shove.

And his silence since last week is deafening.

He's a fucking weasel. Fuck him. His campaign is dead. Good fucking riddance.

by dave1021 2007-02-13 08:32PM | 0 recs
Yeah...

I thought the googlebomb idea was pretty bad.

by delmoi 2007-02-13 05:27PM | 0 recs
Re: Yeah...
Because 750,000 effective, in district voter contacts for $450 is a real travesty. Half of those were in Virginia.

If you don't like the Googlebomb campaign, you must not like a Democratic Senate.
by Chris Bowers 2007-02-13 06:55PM | 0 recs
"The horror, the horror," my ass
Oh Jesus Christ! Melissa had no reason to resign whatsoever. My disappointment is turning to disgust. It seems like they have both fallen on the fainting couch over tacky, illiterate spam threats from a bunch of low-brow trolls in flyover country, or from the legacy admissions in some Ivy-League dorm. Think Beavis and Butthead, or maybe South Park--not Heart of Darkness.
The nature of these threats has more to do with the casual cruelty of schoolyard bullies. If A&M put on a florid display of being spooked by this juvenile crap, it's just going to encourage these idiots. And it guarantees that we'll see more of it in the future, perhaps even organized spam threat parties sponsored by the local college Republicans club.
To be an effective progressive with any kind of political profile means brushing off BS threats. You think Michael Moore doesn't get hate mail? You think Keith Obermann and Sean Penn don't get hate mail? They do, and it doesn't amount to shit because they don't let it amount to shit.
by johnalive 2007-02-13 05:44PM | 0 recs
Re: "The horror, the horror," my ass

Except neither Melissa nor Amanda have the financial resources to have the type of security that Olberman, Moore, and Penn do. They're regular people fighting the good fight online...when you start getting messages from people who have found out where you live threatening your well being and that of your family..what do you do?

I don't fault either of them. It shouldn't be like this.

by College Progressive 2007-02-13 06:33PM | 0 recs
Re: "The horror, the horror," my ass
I completely reject the notion that you have to be independently wealthy to afford a massive security apparatus to be an effective progressive.
I'm sure there are plenty of examples out there of progressives whol were financially downstream from Moore, Penn, etc. who weren't lynched.
Former NOLA district attorney Jim Garrison comes to mind.
by johnalive 2007-02-13 06:43PM | 0 recs
Re: "The horror, the horror," my ass
Come to think of it, I was 40 feet away from Penn at the Jan. 27 March on Washington, and passed Tim Robbins walking by himself in the train station nearby.
These prominent progressive celebrities aren't exactly hunkered down in a bunker and they're doing ok. For all the shit-talking about celebrities, maybe these guys should be role models to us in that whatever crap is threatened against them gets ignored for the impotent bullying that it is and they continue to show up for the movement.
by johnalive 2007-02-13 07:00PM | 0 recs
Re: More Resignations! More Apologies!

This made headlines at yahoo.com, cnn.com/politics, news.google.com.  This is bigger than many here believe.  Bigger than Hillary's non-apology, bigger than Obama's troops remark for which he apologized.

The thing, though:  Edwards is not doing all that well.  Yes, he is in third, but he is well behind Hillary and Obama.  In the bigger states he is doing awful (i.e. California 7%, Florida 6%, Ohio 11%, etc.)    Were Gore to enter, Edwards would fade away immediately, IMHO.

Perhaps the guy is getting a little too much ink for his "far behind" status at this point?

by georgep 2007-02-13 06:13PM | 0 recs
HA HA HA HAHA

wishful thinking does not make it so.

He's ahead in Iowa and SC.

All the money and media manipulated hoopla in the world doesn't stop Iowans from voting for the person they want.

See you in January.

by DrFrankLives 2007-02-13 06:33PM | 0 recs
Re: HA HA HA HAHA

Unfortunately for Iowa, California is now on deck to hold their primary in February.

How's Edwards doing there?

by dave1021 2007-02-13 08:30PM | 0 recs
Re: HA HA HA HAHA

The wishful thinking is entirely on your part.

Proof:

Zogby's latest Iowa poll put Clinton and Edwards in a dead-heat, a boon for Clinton and losses for Edwards.  A clear trendline there.

However, ARG has Clinton way ahead in Iowa:

Looks like a lead on balance.

And SC?  The only poll I have seen had Clinton ahead.  Maybe wishful thinking on your part or do you have a poll that backs up your assertion?  The last ARG SC poll contradicts your statement.

by georgep 2007-02-14 05:44AM | 0 recs
Re: HA HA HA HAHA

ARG polls are notoriously unreliable.  But keep citing them, it's fun to watch.

Hillary's troops are so inept on line it's comical.

by DrFrankLives 2007-02-14 08:35AM | 0 recs
Re: HA HA HA HAHA

Show the SC poll that has Edwards ahead.  You make incorrect statements that have no basis in reality and then get on me for your inability to produce the polls in question?

And, what recent Iowa poll can you cite that has Edwards ahead?

Making up stuff is no substitute for research. It does not serve anyone, neither the candidate you defend here, nor yourself.

The original point stands:  Edwards is WAY behind in the biggest states:  California, Florida, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Michigan.  Not even close, either single-digits or very low double-digits (barely clearing 10%.)  He is also behind in basically any other state except Iowa where he is at best tied for the lead with HRC and North-Carolina, his home state.  He is also not doing well in national polls released for over a month now.  The two latest entries were realeased today.  Gallup shows only 13% support for Edwards (heck, even Gore, who is most likely not running at all) gets more at 14%) and the Harris poll where he is in single-digits at 9%.

by georgep 2007-02-14 09:06AM | 0 recs
Re: HA HA HA HAHA

with all the ha-ha's, this is starting to feel like a Stewie from Family Guy thread...

by jc 2007-02-14 11:48AM | 0 recs
Re: HA HA HA HAHA

I think you made these same points before Iowa in 2004.

"He's way behind a year out.  he can;t win blah blah blah blah blah."

Chill out.  the race has barely started.

This time in 2004, Dean was just getting rolling.

by DrFrankLives 2007-02-14 11:55AM | 0 recs
Re: HA HA HA HAHA

I wasn't here before 2004.

All I was asking from you were links to your claims that Edwards is ahead in Iowa and South Carolina.  I looked hi and lo.  Maybe you were somewhat off?  Hey, should be easy to admit that you made a mistake, no?  :-)

Sure, many things can happen.  But, currently Edwards is lagging way, way behind, especially in the big states.   Why pretend him to be a frontrunner when he is far behind HRC and Obama?   Should he regain his position as a true "third" in a 3-way race, then talk like he is.  Right now he lags behind badly, in need of something to make it back.

by georgep 2007-02-14 05:26PM | 0 recs
Re: HA HA HA HAHA

he won the state last time.  until I see reliable data that says he won't do so again . . .

by DrFrankLives 2007-02-15 10:29AM | 0 recs
Re: HA HA HA HAHA

http://americanresearchgroup.com/pres08/ scdem08-2.shtml

AG is unreliable, but you said he was behind in this one.  He's not.  He's statistically tied with Clinton in the 30s.  She's within the margin of error.

by DrFrankLives 2007-02-15 10:32AM | 0 recs
Re: HA HA HA HAHA

You claimed that Edwards is ahead in SC.  I stated that the only poll I had seen had HRC actually ahead.   Sure, Edwards is fairly close, within 3 points.  But wasn't your point wrong?  And, while MOE comes into play, isn't my point the correct one?

So, let's be honest.  Edwards does not have a lead in any state at this point, and the big states show him lagging very far behind.  His name ID is very high, so that can't be reason for his problems in the polls, so what gives?

by georgep 2007-02-15 01:30PM | 0 recs
Re: HA HA HA HAHA

Edwards is ahead.  Hillary is within three points.  It's called reading.  try it.

by DrFrankLives 2007-02-15 01:46PM | 0 recs
maybe i should follow my own advice

i could have sowrin it read the other way.  Mea culpa.

by DrFrankLives 2007-02-15 01:46PM | 0 recs
Re: maybe i should follow my own advice

No problem.  :-)

by georgep 2007-02-15 01:55PM | 0 recs
Re: More Resignations! More Apologies!

Unfortunately Edwards is the big loser any way you look at this situation and it comes at a time when he desperately needs to make some gains in the polls. He has to be at least competitive to have any real shot and currently he is doing poorly. This is not the kind of publicity he needs.

by robliberal 2007-02-13 06:33PM | 0 recs
Re: More Resignations! More Apologies!

Wow, It is funny how the democrats are always their own worst enemy. Congrats on ensuring that edwards doesnt reach the white house, let alone the democratic nomination.

Melissa Mcewan quote:
"It is not right-wing bloggers, nor people like Bill Donohue or Bill O'Reilly, who prompted nor deserve credit for my resignation, no matter how much they want it, but individuals who used public criticisms of me as an excuse to unleash frightening ugliness"

Why cant you just take some responsibility for what you did and admit you are wrong instead of saying you are an excuse. You are a liability, and you know it, thats why you resigned. Also let me give some credit to Donohue and O'Reilly for exposing this and effectively sinking their ship before it ever sat sail.

by NukeIranAlready 2007-02-13 07:28PM | 0 recs
Edwards undercut the bloggirls

When your boss (Edwards) says he finds your work "personally insulting" and "intolerant, you quit.

by BrionLutz 2007-02-13 11:12PM | 0 recs
Re: More Resignations! More Apologies!

I don't want Hillary to apologize. All I ever sought from her was leadership. In something more than campaigning.

by KevinHayden 2007-02-14 01:55AM | 0 recs
Re: More Resignations! More Apologies!

How f'ing convenient for Edwards.   Defend the bloggers so we all shut up, and have them resign a week later.   I call bullshit, you are fooling yourself if you think this wasn't the campaign's idea.  Granted, I suppose they got what they wanted, Donahue will shut up for a little while, and they defended us, for a week.

by JAmbro 2007-02-14 04:41AM | 0 recs
Quit calling Amanda a liar

Really, it takes a real scumbag piece of crap to call a woman a liar when she openly says she as not forced out.

Are you a scumbag?  If so, you're in the wrong party.

by DrFrankLives 2007-02-14 08:37AM | 0 recs
Re: More Resignations! More Apologies!

Anyone who believes the morans aren't watching this bickering is a prospect for a bridge I have for sale. Arguing among ourselves accomplishes nothing.

by BirdAdvocate 2007-02-14 10:38AM | 0 recs
Re: More Resignations! More Apologies!

I agree.  That's why people should stop making ignorant attacks on Edwards.

I haven't attacked any candidate.  Except Hillary.  The Presidency is not a family heirloom.  THe country does not need two dynasties sharing the presidency for 30 years.

by DrFrankLives 2007-02-14 11:57AM | 0 recs
Re: More Resignations! More Apologies!

Weird exception.  Your reasons are no better or worse to oppose the current frontrunner than myself not believing in Edwards' sincerity, eyeing him as a true conservative who would be absolutely wrong for the presidency, at least unless you are a conservative Democrat.

by georgep 2007-02-14 05:28PM | 0 recs