Barney Frank on Katrina: "Ethnic Cleansing by Inaction"

Barney Frank is the incoming Chair of the Financial Services Committee, and he has come in and committed himself to a very progressive agenda. The first piece of his remarkable speech was his sharp point that the intentional neglect of the housing situation of Katrina victims was 'ethnic cleansing through inaction'. The video quality isn't the greatest; he said in clear language that doing nothing for New Orleans residents is an intentional strategy to make Louisiana richer, whiter, and more Republican. It's not a huge secret.

The latest elected official to step into the swamp was Rep. Richard H. Baker, a 10-term Republican from Baton Rouge. The Wall Street Journal reported yesterday that he was overheard telling lobbyists: "We finally cleaned up public housing in New Orleans. We couldn't do it, but God did."

It's great that we have fighters in there willing to do what's necessary. Frank also discussed the budget in the context of Iraq and Katrina, and executive pay. He wants a law passed that allows shareholders to vote on the pay that executives receive, which is a great way to restore public participation in corporate America and reign in managerial abuses.

After listening to Frank, I'm a lot less worried that the Democrats are going to fold to right-wing economic interests. Frank understands that political and economic elites have betrayed this country, and is going to reign them in. I wouldn't want to have someone as smart, experienced, and tough as Frank as my opponent, and I certainly wouldn't have needled his character, insulted his intelligence and offended his values for years. Which the Republicans have done. We have a friend in Frank.

Tags: Barney Frank, Barney Frank's 'Grand Bargain', katrina (all tags)

Comments

The Fighting 110th!

That's the kind of hard-hitting but sadly not actually hyperbolic language that should define the 110th congress.

by Josh Koenig 2007-01-04 08:47AM | 0 recs
Re: The Fighting 110th!

hard hitting? hah! 88 billion dollars to katrina victims is not ethnic cleansing nor is it inaction. maybe if you get rid of the corruption in New Orleans and the rest of Louisiana, these catastrophes wouldn't hurt the people who need the most help. Barney Frank is a pig and an intellectual liar

by imorew6484 2007-01-05 02:22PM | 0 recs
Re: The Fighting 110th!

I couldn`t agree with you more, they squandered the federal money on upscale marinas and feel good programs instead of maintaining the levees as they should have. Chocolate Ray Nagin and No phone Mary Landrieu should be in JAIL for their incompentence. Anybody checked the crime rates in Texas NOW ? Those poor disadvantged souls from N.O. are having a ball there now. Our church took in 2 Katrina families and all they did was trash the houses we had for them, sit on their asses watching T.V. and complain for 9 months. We had to get the police to evict them and spend over 20 thousand repairing the houses. The poor disadvantged souls ruined the furniture and even urinated on the floors.

by Champ01 2007-01-05 02:32PM | 0 recs
Re: The Fighting 110th!

Nice of the two of you to come in and spew bile in this thread only. I wonder if you're robots, or just assholes?

by Josh Koenig 2007-01-07 04:33PM | 0 recs
Re: The Fighting 110th!

No Josh unlike you we live in the real world not some idealistic fantasy world.

by Champ01 2007-01-08 04:37PM | 0 recs
Re: The Fighting 110th!

josh if you want to know why I spewed bile in this thread is because I am an asshole. Barney Frank is a disgrace and a liar. Bush is a failure on so many levels we all know this but the Katrina mess is the fault of the government in Louisiana. 88 billion dollars should have fixed the dikes and rebuilt all of the ruined homes, it did neither. remember the day after Katrina? federal gov't in the form of the Coast Guard saving thousands of people. Ray Nagin cursed into a microphone and said he was stressed, the N.O. police chief saying that when it gets dark women are going to be raped and children are going to be killed. Josh you can believe whatever you want that is YOUR choice but reality is reality. Robot? Asshole? I believe you're the robot here and I am the asshole, I don't have to toe any party line or think like you because I am truly an independant thinker, why don't you try it sometime maybe you can learn to be an asshole instead of a robot

by imorew6484 2007-01-09 05:35PM | 0 recs
Frankly speaking

Definitely a testimonial to the fact that sexual orientation and tough-mindedness are simply unrelated.

Barney is great.

by dataguy 2007-01-04 08:50AM | 0 recs
Some context for Barney boosters

after listening to Frank I'm a lot less worried that the Democrats are going to fold to right-wing economic interests.

How do you factor in his Grand Bargain into this prognostication?

It had passed under my radar, but it's something he's persisting with - from November -

Frank proposes that if businesses support a minimum wage increase and provide protection for workers adversely affected by trade treaties, Democrats would be more willing to ease regulations and approve free-trade deals. Frank also would support changes to immigration rules favored by businesses, and noted that allowing more immigrants would put needed funds into the Social Security system.

Frank casts his proposal as a way for capitalists to quell some of the populist fervor that was expressed in last week's election, when many Democrats vowed to crack down on companies moving jobs overseas.

- to December - Sirota getting hot under the collar there, in response, too (big surprise!).

(Further quotes here.)

Frank going all DLC here?

The Globe piece says

Frank said he will work out details of his grand bargain after conducting a series of hearings starting early next year. "I am not claiming I have majority support," he said. "I expect to spend much of the next year in the committee documenting this." But he said he has general backing from Pelosi and other top Democrats.

You don't say?

(The National Press Club speech is here - just in case (I've not read it).)

by skeptic06 2007-01-04 09:00AM | 0 recs
Re: Barney Frank

I've been watching Barney for years and he is smart as a whip and a true progressive. I was worried too when I first heard about his grand bargain, but he has since done some explaining and the Globe has covered more of the details (don't have the link at my fingertips) and I am less worried. in order for there to be any bargaining, labor will get solid backing and other provisions will be good.

I do trust Barney more than almost any of the rest of the lot. I've seen him in action and he is nobody's fool. Those who try to underestimate him do so at their peril.

He will not betray the progressive agenda. He is also a realist and knows what can be done and will do it.

by RevDeb 2007-01-04 11:15AM | 0 recs
Re: Barney Frank on Katrina: "Ethnic

I like Barney Frank. Always have. That's a great line on Katrina.

by rikyrah 2007-01-04 11:20AM | 0 recs
Re: Barney Frank on Katrina:
I thoroughly trust Barney Frank pursuing a Progrssive Agenda, I've watched him for years and he's one of the few Democrats to seriously attack the Gopee and their agenda, instead of giving it lip service.
Hope to see him in the Senate some day.
by Predictor 2007-01-04 11:49AM | 0 recs
Re: Barney Frank on Katrina:

All indications are that he is not interested in the Senate. He likes where he is in the House with his seniority and his committee assignments.

Our loss, but he will be a star where he's serving and will serve the country well.

by RevDeb 2007-01-04 12:10PM | 0 recs
Re: Barney Frank on Katrina:

Barney Frank and Lip Service in the same sentence now thats a good one. Whatever happened to personal responsibility for yourself. A hurricane HUGO survivor.

by Champ01 2007-01-05 02:19PM | 0 recs
No Reign No Reign

Pet peeve:  "rein in".  It's a horsey metaphor, not a kingly one.  Mind you I regularly fuck up "you're" and "your".

by Righteous Bubba 2007-01-04 01:11PM | 0 recs
Executive compensation

Having shareholders vote on executive compensation? Butbutbut... that's: capitalism!!

I'm sure the shareholders of Home Depot would have an opinion,  particularly right about now.

by Veritas78 2007-01-04 02:08PM | 0 recs