Turning The Tide For The Progressive Movement

BlogPac has made some big announcements recently. This past weekend, we brought on Mike Stark as our new director of activism. Last week, Lane Hudson was the recipient of our first Citizen's Hero award, and quite a few more of those are to come. Over the past three weeks, we have told you that BlogPac is working on a project to bring community blogging to every state in the country (see here, here and here). Specifically, one of the things that meant was paying for the website hosting costs of 50 local, community blogs, which would help alleviate the burden on some of most our essential, local, progressive activists. Today, I am happy to announce that you have put together the resources to make it happen, and we can announce the first group of bloggers who about to receive your support: That is a pretty impressive list of some of the best local blogs in the country. They all are a vital part of the emerging progressive media landscape, and help to build local activist scenes. Thanks to you, all of them will now find it a little easier to keep operating in the future. You can see the criteria for the blogs we are giving grants to at the BlogPac website, and we are going to keep going until we have funded at least one blog in every state.

Your support is essential, and so is another ingredient: ActBlue, a shining example of new infrastructure for the emerging progressive movement. ActBlue has brought visibility and credibility to the fundraising might of blogs like Daily Kos, MyDD, Swing State Project, Firedoglake, Crooks & Liars, Down with Tyranny, and America Blog, who together raised $2.2 million in 2005-06. Even more importantly for the movement, ActBlue has enabled local bloggers to fundraise for below-the-radar candidates, building buzz and starting the snowball effect candidates like Paul Hackett need to compete. And with their efforts and our support, last year ActBlue expanded down ballot, so we can now bring online support to every Democratic candidate for state legislative and executive office in 22 states, regardless of the candidates' insider backing or technical savvy.

ActBlue and BlogPac are working together to strengthen local blogging, and so we've teamed up in an ambitious infrastructure-building effort. We've created a joint ActBlue-BlogPac fundraising page where you can support both groups. Our goal by February 28: 1,000 supporters who will contribute monthly to each group for the next two years

A sustained movement takes sustained commitment from its members. Join up today by committing to $10/month, $25/month, or $50/month.

I am starting to sense a turning of the tide. Very soon from now, a future awaits where, unlike my lament from last week, progressive movement money no longer flows in only one direction. Progressive movement money will be used not only to win elections, but to make sure that the ideas and people behind the movement are more self-sustaining.

Over time, as per your suggestions, we can use the infrastructure page to add more progressive movement organizations, and build this movement from the ground up. We will also continue to listen to your suggestions on new projects to support, as well as progressive activists who need help and recognition. Because BlogPac can't support any person, idea, or organization without your efforts, we won't engage in any project that does not have your backing. As we promised when we re-launched BlogPac back in June, we will be for the progressive movement, by the progressive movement. We can only change this country if we do it together.

Build progressive infrastructure. Join the movement today.

Tags: Activism, Blogosphere, BlogPac, netroots, progressive movement (all tags)

Comments

Sweet

Nicely written.

In addition to my previous commitment for $50.00 a month to BlogPac, I've added $10.00 a month to ActBlue.

It's our responsibility to build and support this infrastructure, not something we can wish off to some   magical foundation or fat cat.

As they said at the end of the Declaration of Independence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honour.

In these parlous times, can we do less?

by Aeolus 2007-01-31 08:18AM | 0 recs
Re: Sweet

Aeolus -- thank you so much!!

All -- contributors such as Aeolus who generously signed on as monthly contributors to blogpac last week are counted among the first 60-ish blogpac contributors on this new joint page.  We would, of course, be very appreciative if you'd be willing to join on as a recurring contributor to ActBlue as well!

by brahn 2007-01-31 08:22AM | 0 recs
Re: Sweet

You got it Ben.  I made sure to give you a small amount each month as part of my donation to BlogPAC.   Every little bit helps.

by juls 2007-01-31 08:42AM | 0 recs
ACT Blue

Act Blue has done an incredible job.

Frankly, I like the idea of making a regular, automatic contribution, rather than trying to decide on a tip during intermittent contributions.

by Aeolus 2007-01-31 08:30AM | 0 recs
Re: ACT Blue
I agree. I like giving once, through a recurring donation, and never having to think about it again. I also like not having to ask people multiple times because they gave via recurring.

Thank you!
by Chris Bowers 2007-01-31 08:40AM | 0 recs
Re: Turning The Tide For The Progressive Movement

Chris:

How do I contact you and others here regarding a law review article that I am currently writing relating the subject of this diary?

by bruh21 2007-01-31 08:48AM | 0 recs
Re: Turning The Tide For The Progressive Movement
You can see my email by clicking on my name
by Chris Bowers 2007-01-31 08:50AM | 0 recs
Re: Turning The Tide For The Progressive Movement

I sent an email to you through the system here because when I clicked on your name, I didn't see an email address. As I said, I am doing a law journal article on the subject of the internet- this idea came about after listening to David Wu talking about net neutrality, and reading his book Who Controls the Internet, and the idea struck me that this is an area that maybe of interests to people- namely campaign finance and how the netroots are leading a  revolution in some ways.

by bruh21 2007-01-31 04:16PM | 0 recs
Re: Turning The Tide For The Progressive Movement

sorry brain spasm- not david wu, tim wu.

by bruh21 2007-01-31 04:16PM | 0 recs
Re: Turning The Tide For The Progressive Movement

I hope you post it online, I'd like to read it.

by Bob Brigham 2007-01-31 09:16AM | 0 recs
Re: Turning the Tide

I can't read BOR, since I'm a maroon-blood Aggie.  Any alternatives?

by traveler 2007-01-31 09:27AM | 0 recs
Re: Turning The Tide For The Progressive Movement

Indeed. For example, Calitics. It isn't even noon yet in California, but there are already the following diaries:

Third Term, Anyone? by dday
Pre-Paid Tuition Coming to California? by Lucas O'Connor
The Historical Importance of the California Grassroots by dday and Professor Emeritus Ellis Perlman
Harry Reid: "The insurance industry is the enemy of most everything we do today" by Brian Leubitz
A California Dream Comes True: Newport Beach Chips in to Save Crystal Cove by atdleft

A historical diary on progressive populism in the state, a policy diary on health care, a policy diary on higher education, a local environmental victory and a look at the coupling of the early 2008 presidential primary with term limits. Can't wait to see what shows up this afternoon and evening.

by Bob Brigham 2007-01-31 09:32AM | 0 recs
Re: Turning The Tide For The Progressive Movement

The point I meant to make with this comment but left out, is that many MyDD'ers will recognize some of these names and more. I think that is the point, it isn't enough just to fight nationally when you can make an important difference locally.

by Bob Brigham 2007-01-31 10:11AM | 0 recs
The Value of BlogPAC and ActBlue

Personally, I've experienced the value of both BlogPAC and ActBlue and would like to encourage those that may wonder what's up with the project to check it out and donate.

I used to be the primary editor of the Burnt Orange Report in Texas, one of today's announced recipients of BlogPAC money to pay our hosting for the year. Actions like that help to reduce our overhead costs, allowing me to help fund our direct e-mail campaign of about 2000 users (which raised thousands last year for local directed Student GOTV projects). That's a direct benefit and for just a couple hundred dollars taken off our shoulder, we were able to make the difference in putting one more Democrat into the statehouse and pick up a seat on a Circuit Court of Appeals race in Austin.

Funding ActBlue allows for some great things as well- including one I'm really thrilled about. With the tips, direct donations, and recurring donations like those from this page, it not only helps to activate more states for down-ballot contributions (Virgina is on and Mississippi is coming next) but add talented forward thinking folks to the staff. One of those happens to be me and having just graduated, I couldn't be happier. Also brought on board this month was Nate Thames another recent grad, activist, and blogger from Kansas. Together we're helping to make new projects happen and get way ahead for the 07-08 cycle.

This fundraising project isn't about me or ActBlue or BlogPAC though. It's about you- we just get to work to make things possible to empower any and every Democrat possible.

So Donate to the BlogPAC/ActBlue page and become a recurring contributor. It's a new generation of ideas and activism that you can make possible.

by KTinTX 2007-01-31 09:46AM | 0 recs
New Mexico

By mid-February, New Mexico FBIHOP should make the switch over to a full-fledged community blog.

by fbihop 2007-01-31 09:46AM | 0 recs
Re: Turning The Tide For The Progressive Movement

As an appreciative author of one of the blogs listed above, I can't agree more with this sentiment.  There's only so much a blog owner or team of owners can do to drive the community - there has to be a "spark-plug" moment where the comments and diaries really become their own product within the larger context of the site.

by MN Campaign Report 2007-01-31 10:01AM | 0 recs
Re: Turning The Tide For The Progressive Movement

very nice work, chris. kudos to you. this is true "leadership," and i wish we could find a way to get you in the house or senate, although now that i think about it, i'm glad you're still "just" a blogger. i put it up at corrente, with some of my usual blunt snarky commentary.

by chicago dyke 2007-01-31 10:10AM | 0 recs
Hooray for BMG!

Good to see that Blue Mass Group made the list.  Now I can go make fun of them for joining the vast left-wing conspiracy ;)

by sco 2007-01-31 10:22AM | 0 recs
Re: Turning The Tide For The Progressive Movement

i just want to thank blogpac for including us in the first crop of recipients. it really is quite humbling to be in such great company. the albany project is barely two months old and those two months have been something of a blur. this definitely stands out for me though.

this may be our proudest achievement yet.

the future for state and local blogs is bright and i think that the 50 state network is a huge development, one that we may well look back on years later as the beginning of something truly profound and important.

thanks so much to laura and everyone at blogpac for including us.

by lipris 2007-01-31 10:34AM | 0 recs
SoapBlox Network, Inc thanks you too!

Almost two years ago I started to see the 50 state network as the most important aspect we progressives could take the blogosphere.  If you think National blogs have changed the dynamics, just look at what a powerful state blog can do.

And if you're looking to get started blogging in the state and/or local area, please check out SoapBlox, the online community blog framework behind 11 out of these 12 BlogPAC sponsered blogs.

Why SoapBlox?  It's affordable, easy, and powerful!

/salesman off

by pacified 2007-01-31 10:54AM | 0 recs
Re: SoapBlox Network, Inc thanks you too!

That's what we are going to be upgrading to soon.  It looks easy and relatively cheap.

by fbihop 2007-01-31 10:56AM | 0 recs
Re: SoapBlox Network, Inc thanks you too!

rock 'n roll!

I just sent you guys an email too, after I saw your post.  Look forward to hearing from you!

by pacified 2007-01-31 11:01AM | 0 recs
Re: SoapBlox Network, Inc thanks you too!

thanks to you, friend. our original site was a blogspot site, but we really wanted to do whatever we could to build a community space and soapblox was  a perfect solution for us. it's powerful, cheap and very easy to use. we are currently preparing for a major redesign of our site i think it will show folks who think they know about soapblox just how versatile it really can be.

you should very proud of what you've built, my man.

by lipris 2007-01-31 11:17AM | 0 recs
Re: SoapBlox Network, Inc thanks you too!

GO SOAPBLOX!!!!1

by KTatActBlue 2007-01-31 06:10PM | 0 recs
BlueNC

is honored to be included in such an illustrious collection!

Thanks!

by Anglico 2007-01-31 11:57AM | 0 recs
Blue Hampshire

says, "Thanks!"

I'm humbled to be included in such a great group of local blogs, and even if I didn't co-run one, I still would be trumpeting this worthy project from the rooftops.  It's about time we started supporting and building the networks that will help foster the progressive movement.

A suggestion for the future: one good way to help out local blogs might be to help them do what they do best: research their state and federal reps as they run for re-election.  I wonder what all the blogging oppo-researchers out there could do with, e.g., a group subscription to LexisNexis or something similar.  Just a thought for the future.

Thanks again.