Obama Shuts Out Fox News

This is exactly what you do when a propaganda outfit posing as a news organization smears you with demonstrably false accusations:

These are chilly days on Capitol Hill ... and on the campaign trail for Fox News journalists -- at least when they're anywhere near Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.).

Sources tell The Sleuth that the Obama camp has "frozen out" Fox News reporters and producers in the wake of the network's major screw-up in running with the erroneous Obama-the-jihadist story reported by Insight magazine.

[...]

Since the madrassah incident, Obama has given interviews to ABC, CNN, CBS and NBC -- pretty much every other network except Fox. Sources close to Obama acknowledged that they're not thrilled to play ball with Fox journalists, but they stopped short of saying they are freezing the network out.

[...]

No one is suggesting the icy conditions are permanent. In fact, a thawing of sorts may already have begun thanks to two telephone conversations Fox News Channel CEO Roger Ailes had with Obama.

All too often in the past Democratic candidates have been willing to just sit back and take hits -- even unjust hits -- from conservatives and blind quote, anonymous smear-loving reporters, just assuming that if they don't react that the story will blow over or that if they do react they should offer their side of the story but leave it at just that. This stands in stark contrast with Republicans, who, going back to Nixon Vice President Spiro Agnew and then Vice President George H. W. Bush, have been more than willing to attack the media for justified inquiries into their actions, let alone unjustified ad hominem attacks, such as the one lobbed at Obama this month. Hopefully we'll see this type of willingness to engage braindead reporters and television personalities among Democratic candidates, not only during the presidential primaries but also on through the general election and in the future.

Tags: Barack Obama, Fox News (all tags)

Comments

Re: Obama Shuts Out Fox News

Kudos to Obama...maybe a Democratic candidate boycott of FOX will put them in their place.  On second thought, it probably wont.

by NYPopulist 2007-01-31 06:05AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama Shuts Out Fox News

huh....A Democrat pushing back? maybe I can get on that Obama bandwagon after all

by BlueinColorado 2007-01-31 06:15AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama Shuts Out Fox News

He really is pushing all the right buttons lately, isn't he?  I'm still not sold, but I'm listening.

by spatne 2007-01-31 07:52AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama Shuts Out Fox News

At least you have an open mind and I think that is all he or any supporters really ask for.

by yitbos96bb 2007-01-31 09:01AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama Shuts Out Fox News

I'm glad to see Obama is willing to play hardball.  He's not as battle tested as Hillary, but he sure seems to know what he's doing.

by blueryan 2007-01-31 06:19AM | 0 recs
He has improved since that dustup with McCain

This is a lot better than when McCain slammed him and Obama responded by sending a wimpy "I still respect you let's work out this misunderstanding" letter. (For the backstory, see here and here.) It was as if he didn't get that McCain is not our friend.

I'm glad he's figured out that Fox News is not our friend either.

by desmoinesdem 2007-01-31 09:56AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama Shuts Out Fox News
Obama certainly has guts. Not caving to Fox Slime Channel with their crappy reporting and introducing binding legislation to get out of Iraq. What a blow to Hillary!
I've given up on Edwards and am loving Obama roght now.
by 88mpp 2007-01-31 06:37AM | 0 recs
why given up on Edwards?

He has been saying since November 2005 that we need to get out of Iraq. Last August he spoke out for withdrawing all troops during a 12-18 month period.

As for Fox News, I totally support what Obama is doing. I wish he had used his position as media darling to come out more strongly for withdrawing troops from Iraq a year ago.

by desmoinesdem 2007-01-31 09:33AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama Shuts Out Fox News

I like how Obama did this... He didn't rant and rave, but by freezing Fox out he sent a warning shot across the bow.  I love how the CEO had to call... and I can only guess that Obama said... Mess with me again, and this becomes permanent... Which will hurt FOX greatly, especially if he wins the nom.  Nice Job Obama!

by yitbos96bb 2007-01-31 06:42AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama Shuts Out Fox News

Great move in my opinion.  In fact, I think it wouldn't be a bad idea for most Democrats to shun the network, as their content is terribly biased, when not outright false (I'm thinking of O'Reilly here).

by John Nicosia 2007-01-31 07:13AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama Shuts Out Fox News

In fact it would be a great idea for all Dems, liberal independents, progressives, etc., to tell FNC en masse, "No thanks."

Any sane progressive politico or activist who shows up on FNC lends legitimacy to it. If they all simply froze them out, like Obama apparently has, they would lose credibility with all but the most rabid right-wingers. Talk about Starve the Beast!

by Spiffarino 2007-01-31 07:57AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama Shuts Out Fox News

I'm not sure how much credibility Fox News has with anyone other than the most rabid right-wingers. The problem is there are too many rabid right-wingers around.

Still, it's worth a try. They'll still have Joe Lieberman and Joe Klein and Marshall Wittmann to represent the "liberal" viewpoint, but how is that any worse than the situation now?

by KCinDC 2007-01-31 11:10AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama Shuts Out Fox News

That's great.  It would be even better if there were a united effort by many Democrats.  Has anyone on the hill spoken out when Fox maligned Obama?

by Hellmut 2007-01-31 07:23AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama Shuts Out Fox News

My only disagreement with Obama is that he talked to Ailes. He should tell him and the rest of Faux's "journalists" to go straight to Hell.

by Spiffarino 2007-01-31 07:53AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama Shuts Out Fox News

Haven't I been reading that Obama is a major disappointment and a wishy washy middle of the roader because he wants to change the "political dialogue"?

Hmmm.  Well I like the way he is changing the political dialogue.  He sticks it to Fox, who are so desparate to get him on the air that they have Mr. Dirty Politics aka Roger Ailes call him directly, and he introduces a hard deadline for withdrawal from Iraq.

I haven't chosen a Prez candidate yet but Obama has really gotten my attention!

by John Mills 2007-01-31 08:02AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama Shuts Out Fox News

Sweet!  Now let's see what he does about Joe Biden, another noise machine.

by Kingstongirl 2007-01-31 08:43AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama Shuts Out Fox News

The entire DNC should shut out Fox news, completely, utterly, and irreprocably. They have been nothing but a propaganda machine for the GOP and do not deserve a seat at the table.

That said, a typical setup for a Fox news interview is to pick speakers from each party, with a Democratic speaker who is obviously not a match for their sata... er, I mean, Republican counterpart. The DNC needs to tightly control who gets to speak on news shows. There should be a list of approved speakers and everyone else should avoid the media at all costs.

M

by techsoldaten 2007-01-31 09:35AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama Shuts Out Fox News

Personally, this is the single most meaningful action taken so far in Obama's candidacy.  Frankly, I didn't think he had it in him, although I am certainly thrilled that he does.

My low point may have been when the Fox campaign reporter assigned to Kerry wrote the "metrosexual" article and didn't even get kicked off the plane.  I hate all the recent bashing of Kerry, but he sure was a wuss down the stretch.

by space 2007-01-31 10:24AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama Shuts Out Fox News

I agree. Kerry's people were idiots to let Cameron continue to report from the inside. It's not like a single FOX supporter voted for him anyway.

by Pravin 2007-01-31 11:06AM | 0 recs