Al Gore story bogus?

Maybe I'm wrong, but how is a Reuters story, which has only been picked up by NewsMax.com,  if you look at Google News (see photo attached), that's 7 hours old and not picked up by any other outlet, credible?

The story in question has a single quote that doesn't say anything. In fact, in NewsMax, the Reuters wire story has the quote "I'm involved in a different kind of campaign", and on Reuters website says, 'involved in "a different kind of campaign."' Shoddy.

FWIW, I have heard second or third to the source (or maybe more), that Gore will not decide anything until assessing the situation after the 1st Q.

Update (Chris): As I said in the comments to the post below this one, if people think the Reuters story is bogus, then they should ask Reuters to either produce a quote, or post a retratction. It would be a big story either way, so this is something that needs to be done. I think that would be a more than reasonable action for any Draft Gore movement to take. In fact, if it didn't take this action, can we put any faith in the Draft Gore movement at all? To simply dismiss the story, without directly challenging Reuters to either produce a quote or a retraction, would be nothing more than intentionally leaving the story open and vague in order to hold out hope. We shouldn't be like that online--we should be proactive in our efforts to discover the truth. The web contact info for Reuters is here. I'll keep looking for a phone number.

Update 2 (Chris): Now Bloomberg has an entirely different story, where Gore "says:"

Gore has said he hasn't ruled out making another run for president, but he doesn't ``expect'' to launch a campaign. He made the comments during a visit to Australia in September, where he was promoting his film. I knew I should have been more careful about quoting the media "quoting" Gore. It certainly wouldn't be the first time reporters have falsely attributed words to him. Before I posted my original post, I looked for an exact quote from Gore, but couldn't find one. That should have told me something was wrong, but my desire to see the 2008 field quickly solidified got the best of me. That was a mistake on my part.

However, while I made a mistake of trusting Reuters, and even though before I posted I did the exact same Google News search Jerome described and performed, Reuters seems to be caught in a far greater mistake: putting words in Gore's mouth. This is actually a frequent habit among journalists--putting words in the mouth of Democrats. Even the Bloomberg piece repeats this error. I can remember recent times where it has happened to Obama and others on multiple occasions. It has happened to Gore for over a deacde. Reuters really need to answer for this now. You can contact them here.

Update 3 (Chris): As tipped by NYPopulist in the comments, it appears that another story on Gore today, this time from Fox News, might also also bogus. Fox reports the following:“The movie’s going to win because it is accurately depicting the real fear of global warming,” said FOXNews.com's "411" gossip columnist Roger Friedman, who predicted that the film is a lock for best documentary in both the Golden Globes and Oscar races. Of course, there is no Golden Globe award for best documentary. Unless, of course, wikipedia is wrong about that. :-)

Tags: Al Gore, NewsMax (all tags)

Comments

Re: Al Gore story bogus?

Yeah I watched the clip and I never heard him explicitly say "I am not running".  If he wasnt running I am sure they would make the announcement a bigger deal if only to draw more attention to global warming issues.

by juls 2007-01-15 03:49PM | 0 recs
Re: Al Gore story bogus?

Yeah, I watched it too and you're absolutely right. I think this was a simple case of a Japanese Reuters entertainment beat reporter interpreting what Gore said as meaning that he would not run, when in reality he just said what he always says when asked this question.

And the Reuters editors didn't catch it because they're in Great Britain and they're not that familiar with Gore either, so they published the story thinking it was a big scoop without realizing that he hadn't said anything new.

by remove 2007-01-15 10:51PM | 0 recs
Re: Al Gore story bogus?

Can we turn this question about a story into a flame war about including Gore in MyDD polls?

by Bob Brigham 2007-01-15 03:50PM | 0 recs
Re: Al Gore story bogus?

can is different from should.

by juls 2007-01-15 03:51PM | 0 recs
Re: Al Gore story bogus?

he heheh.. i actually laughed out loud.

by Winston Smith 2007-01-15 05:30PM | 0 recs
Re: Al Gore story bogus?

I said something similar in the thread below ... there's nothing in terms of a direct quote there.

This could be a case of a foreign reporter not understanding the nuances of American political denials. "I have no intention of running for President" or "I have no thoughts of running for President" sounds definitive, but we all know it isn't.

by BriVT 2007-01-15 03:56PM | 0 recs
Lost in Translation

That was my first guess when I took a look at the video when it was posted on Kos.

Besides, it would be really, really odd for Gore to make such a major, obviously news worthy, statement, since he said before that he "had not ruled out" a run for Prez in front of a US audience.

It set my BS detectors on high alert since I first saw the Kos diary, and nothing I have seen since has changed that...

by Alex Urevick 2007-01-15 04:02PM | 0 recs
Re: Al Gore story bogus?

Putting on my foil hat & pointing the antenna toward Belle Meade, I think it'll be after his new book comes out, because response to it will indicate whether a campaign could primarily be run... not exactly on his terms, but in a way that emphasized collective responsibility and a commitment to understanding & cleaning up the mess of the past eight years.  If the book doesn't sell and the media mock him-- and they very well may, especially since I don't see any way for them to emerge from his analysis unscathed-- then he'll know it's basically business as usual and not bother.

by latts 2007-01-15 04:09PM | 0 recs
Re: Al Gore story bogus?

What is the rush? The Gore quote that I see from the NewsMax story is "I am not running for president." - which is literally true.

Let us refrain from the wishful thinking (on both sides) and wait to hear it from some source other than, say, Michael Ledeen.  There is plenty of time, no need for "Faster, Please".

by jarotra 2007-01-15 04:22PM | 0 recs
he is quoted here:

Japan Jan 16,2007

http://www.planetark.org/dailynewsstory. cfm/newsid/39841/story.htm

"Asked whether he had plans to stand in the 2008 election, Gore ruled it out, adding: "I'm involved in a different kind of campaign."

"During a visit to Japan to promote his award-winning documentary "An Inconvenient Truth", Gore also urged Japan's top business lobby to spark a policy change on global warming by sending a strong message to its US counterparts."

by dk2 2007-01-15 04:25PM | 0 recs
Re: he is quoted here:

He's actually not quoted directly as denying it, and if the question was phrased as written-- in terms of "plans" to run-- then his "no" response would still be exactly the same as what he's been saying stateside for the last year.

Is he running now?- no.
Is he planning to run?- he says not, but leaves himself some wiggle room.
Will he definitely run?- [crickets]

by latts 2007-01-15 04:28PM | 0 recs
Japan Jan 16, 2007 link

the correct link should be:

http://www.planetark.org/dailynewsstory. cfm/newsid/39841/story.htm

by dk2 2007-01-15 04:52PM | 0 recs
Re: he is quoted here:

He's been using the "different kind of campaign" line along with the "in America, political will is a renewable resource" line and the "i have not ruled it out but i am not planning on it" line ever since An Inconvenient Truth came out; that's not new in the least bit.

by remove 2007-01-15 10:53PM | 0 recs
Re: Al Gore story bogus?

Regarding the Breaking Blue story about Gore winning a Golden Globe - there is no Golden Globe award for best documentary...they stopped that award a few decades ago.

by NYPopulist 2007-01-15 04:25PM | 0 recs
Re: Al Gore story bogus?

Look, if you have a problem with what Fox News is reporting, take that up with FOX News' Melissa Drosjack ;) Good thing I added the question mark.

Blogging from Fox News & News Max, we are getting dragged into the wingnut reality, where facts are beside the point!

by Jerome Armstrong 2007-01-15 04:40PM | 0 recs
Of course the story is bogus. Reuters wrote

their desired statement, Gore didn't say it, after the Reuter statement, they quoted Gore, that is is on a different campaign, which is what he's been sayin for a year.

by LindainCincinnati 2007-01-15 05:45PM | 0 recs
Jesus Christ

you guys are boring the shit out of me.

by NCDem 2007-01-15 05:50PM | 0 recs
Re: Al Gore story bogus?

Sheesh! I thought us bloggers were supposed to be the smart ones.

Believing any fucking thing the corporatist press says about Al Gore ain't very smart.

by Pericles 2007-01-15 07:03PM | 0 recs
Re: Al Gore story bogus?
I think that is an extremely unfair and soarse statement, considering the breadth of what we have written on the subject here.
by Chris Bowers 2007-01-15 09:05PM | 0 recs
You're not always right? My world is crumbling!

I have to say that you have disappointed me, Chris. No, you have disappointed us all, including your parents, and yes, Santa Claus too. Please don't be wrong again-- to err is human, and we all know that you are only partially human (the other parts being machines, computer components, puppy dog tails, and a touch of snail).

The world is watching-- do not disappoint the world!

by Alex Urevick 2007-01-16 06:06AM | 0 recs

Chris, Jerome,

You do know that FEC rules oblige us, and any other Draft Pac, not to communicate with our target, or with each other?

by ebw 2007-01-15 07:27PM | 0 recs
Re: Al Gore story bogus?
Huh? And this would prevent you from calling Reuters why, exactly?
by Chris Bowers 2007-01-15 09:02PM | 0 recs
Re: Al Gore story bogus?

Nothing prevents us from trying to place earned media, but is this useful earned media?

In your opinion, obviously "yes".

In ours, "no".

by ebw 2007-01-16 01:05AM | 0 recs
Re: Al Gore story bogus?
This thread is dead, but if you are still reading, consider this. The media has long put words in Gore's mouth, such as the false claim that he said he "invented the Internet." Pointing out an instance where they misquoted Gore would help difuse that. Plus, it would increase speculation that Gore would run.

What's not to like about that type of earned media?
by Chris Bowers 2007-01-16 06:35AM | 0 recs
"my desire 2C the 08 field quickly solidified

More important than making sure we choose the best nominee? IIRC, that strategy didn't work out so well the last time!

by Jim in Chicago 2007-01-15 08:45PM | 0 recs
The 2008 field
I don't want a quick end to the race--far from it. I want a long, long primary season. I just want the race to begin quickly.
by Chris Bowers 2007-01-15 09:01PM | 0 recs
Re: Al Gore story bogus?

Clearly not.  More importantly, I think it will be the fault of Bowers and Armstrong if Gore isn't drafted.

BTW, I'm taking pre-orders on my "Where's Gore '08?  Blame MyDD!" t-shirts.

by space 2007-01-15 09:12PM | 0 recs
Re: Al Gore story bogus?

I'd like a size large please. That's droll.

by ebw 2007-01-16 01:08AM | 0 recs
Gore story on NPR

NPR had it this evening ... though they didn't have Gore saying "I'm not running for President". So, I don't think Gore is definitively out.

However, I generally think it's unlikely that he will run, but I don't have anything to base that on other than (a) gut, (b) he would have to run against Hillary, which would make for too much of that campaign trail horse-race gossip that he hates with good reason, (c) it's not clear what space he would occupy at this point.

by niq 2007-01-15 09:23PM | 0 recs
"what space he would occupy"

Um, maybe the space for the guy who was duly elected President once already and who has been fucking right about all the important issues facing the country and the world for the last 8 years (unlike Hillary)?

by Jim in Chicago 2007-01-15 10:46PM | 0 recs
Re: Al Gore story bogus?

Hindsight is 20/20, but I did think it odd that he'd make his first definitive statement on foreign shores.

by Bush Bites 2007-01-15 10:55PM | 0 recs
Re: Al Gore story bogus?

"This is actually a frequent habit among journalists--putting words in the mouth of Democrats."

Reuters is British.  They do that everyone.

Gore has been giving these non-commital statements for over a year now, I think: "I don't expect to run" or whatever, which has always meant the same thing to me - he'll run if he feels the wind at his back.  That's us.  What are we doing?  Not a lot.

Gore can't run without active grassroots support, because he knows the usual suspects don't support him (even the ones that used to).  Without heavy netroots and grassroots activism, he's on his own.  He's waiting for the groundswell, and if it doesn't come, he's not running.  So far, he isn't seeing it (he's not blind).

I'm constantly being barraged by "Draft Obama" mail from a list I did not sign up for.  I see you have photos of lots of people with lots of Obama signs.

Have we done or seen any of that for Gore?  (It's no good if I do it here in London - how 'bout you?)

Basically, it's Sadie Hawkins Day for Gore - he's waiting for the voters to ask him to the dance; he can't go unless we ask.

by Avedon 2007-01-16 05:14AM | 0 recs
I just called Reuters

They said they will work to find the quote and update their story.

I would urge others to call the reporter, she is in Japan. Her name is Isabel Reymolds, and she can be reached at 813 3432 8018.

by abc 2007-01-16 06:44AM | 0 recs
They have a new story now

The one-time presidential candidate did not answer questions from the media on Monday. None of the business executives at the event asked him about rumors that he might build on the higher profile created by his environmental campaign to stand for the presidency again.

here is the link....
http://today.reuters.com/news/articlebus iness.aspx?type=ousiv&storyID=2007-0 1-15T061316Z_01_T214198_RTRUKOC_0_US-GOR E-JAPAN-CLIMATE.xml&pageNumber=1& ;imageid=&cap=&sz=13&WTModLo c=BizArt-C1-ArticlePage1

see what bloggers can do!

by abc 2007-01-16 06:50AM | 0 recs