Support The 50 State Blog Network

BlogPac is proud to announce its first campaign of 2007: supporting the 50 state blog network that Laura Packard posted on yesterday. In order to pay for the technical support to this project, we need $10 from 1,000 activists. Join up with 999 other people to make this happen..

The explosion of local blogging was one of the great developments in the progressive movement during 2006. Entering 2007, we want to make certain that there is at least one community blog in every state, they are connected to each other, and that these state-based communities are integrated with the national-focused blogs. This will accelerate the development of local progressive media, assist with important electoral developments such as the fifty-state strategy, as well as increase both the political efficacy and social connections of local progressive activists around the nation. Importantly, we can do this for a small amount of money, $10 from 1,000 activists. When you compare this amount to the hundreds of millions of dollars that are spent on electoral campaigns every two years, this really is a tiny amount--equivalent to the rounding error for a Democratic media consultant! Join up with other activists to make the 50 state blog network happen..

Progressive movement activists have an abundance of good ideas, but often lack the funding to make these ideas a reality. To remedy this situation, over the past eight months, BlogPac's mission has been to provide essential resources to smart and inexpensive (though still underfunded) projects that forward the progressive movement. In keeping with this mission, we have supported organizations such as Yearly Kos, Drinking Liberally, Blue Jersey, and Blue America PAC. During the election season, we provided resources to important activist campaigns like Do More Than Vote, Use It Or Lose It, and Googlebomb the Elections. We also commissioned the first scientific survey of netroots activists, in an attempt to help dispel many of the myths about members of our community. Join us in our latest effort to make a 50 state blog network a reality.

The 50 state blog network is exactly the sort of project that BlogPac is proud to help get off the ground. With just a little bit of funding, we believe that small ideas from smart activists can take the progressive movement a long way. As such, feel free at any time to send us your ideas on new progressive organizations and campaigns that fit with our mission and do not need a huge amount of money in order to succeed. You can reach me at chris@mydd.com.

Make the 50 state blog network a reality.

Tags: Activism, Blogosphere, BlogPac, progressive movement (all tags)

Comments

Re: Support The 50 State Blog Network

You got $20 from me.  I am more than happy to keep contributing to projects like this one.  It is critical to the growth of our movement.

by juls 2007-01-10 08:23AM | 0 recs
As much as I write about the big picture, I have always had a love for small, effective projects. The more effectie we are at the little things, the better we will eventually be able to understnad and influence the big picture.
by Chris Bowers 2007-01-10 08:26AM | 0 recs
Re: Thank you

hey chris, is there any way i could paypal a donation?  if not, i'll go through the web, but i'd just prefer paypal.

by annatopia 2007-01-10 08:54AM | 0 recs
Re: Thank you
I'm surprised Act Blue doesn't support pay pal. I guess you could email me the money, and I could donate it, but I'm not actualyl sure if that is elgal.
by Chris Bowers 2007-01-10 09:21AM | 0 recs
Re: Thank you

That's not legal, Chris.  Don't do it.

by Matt Stoller 2007-01-10 10:00AM | 0 recs
Re: Thank you

no worries, i'll send in my ten bucks via actblue when i get paid on friday.

by annatopia 2007-01-10 12:18PM | 0 recs
Paypal

We've certainly looked at offering paypal (and continue to revisit from time to time) but there are just too many potential downsides to justify a modest boost in convenience.

In particular:

* Horror stories of undelivered/frozen funds.  We have to move the money within ten days of the contribution, and the FEC doesn't take "I couldn't get ahold of customer service" for an excuse.

* Legal ambiguity is also a major problem -- PayPal's method of capturing the money before passing it on is different from standard credit cards and a major no-no.  (I know that there are some folks in the community who take a different point of view on this one; with all due respect, this is a risk we have chosen not to take.)

Stay tuned, though.  We may have something coming down the pike in the next few months that will make fans of PayPals's convenience happy :-)

by brahn 2007-01-10 07:52PM | 0 recs
What's the money for?

I have probably just missed the link to the enumeration of how the $10,000 will be spent. If you could point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful.

by marchingorders 2007-01-10 08:29AM | 0 recs
Re: What's the money for?
It will be paying for the technical support to build the network. The minimum cost of that will be $9K, but will probably rise over time.
by Chris Bowers 2007-01-10 08:37AM | 0 recs
Re: What's the money for?

Could you explain exactly what you mean by building a network?

It doesn't cost $10,000 to build a site that that links together all these blogs. So, you must have some broader concept in mind.

The description of the functionality of this "network" is fairly vague both on this post and the previous one by lpackhard.

Could you provide some details of the business processes the site will fulfill and the desired technical capabilities?

by meowmissy 2007-01-10 10:35AM | 0 recs
Re: What's the money for?
It is a system that will allow people to simultaneously register with all of the blogs int he ntwork, among other things. I'll have more tomorrow explaining this.
by Chris Bowers 2007-01-10 12:27PM | 0 recs
I'm In

for $50....

by Arthurkc 2007-01-10 08:52AM | 0 recs
Re: I'm In
Thank you!
by Chris Bowers 2007-01-10 09:21AM | 0 recs
Re: Support The 50 State Blog Network

I'm wondering if folks might want to know who is behind their state blog before ponying up.

For instance, I poked around the PA listed site, http://www.keystonepolitics.com, for a few and couldn't find out. It also 504'd on the user page for a comment poster and there is no link to the user page of front page posters - IOW, even if this is the only state-wide blog at the moment is it the right one?

by Joe in Wynnewood PA 2007-01-10 08:57AM | 0 recs
Re: Support The 50 State Blog Network
We are willing to support new ones if the existing ones aren't working well and can't be fixed. Off hand, Ican't think of any state-wide community blogs for PA. In Philly, we do have the excellent Young Philly Politics, but it is only for the Philadelphia area.
by Chris Bowers 2007-01-10 09:23AM | 0 recs
Re: PA Community Blog Options

I don't think John Morgan's blog, http://thepennsylvaniaprogressive.com/ has enough going on yet, but it should be paid some attention.

PA for Democracy's site, http://www.PAforDemocracy.com (when it's back up and running - an upgrade attempt didn't go so well), is another worth consideration.

by Joe in Wynnewood PA 2007-01-16 05:13PM | 0 recs
Chris

As founder of West Virginia Blue (formerly West Virginia Kossacks), I was happy to see the site picked for West Virginia. Many have mentioned that going to soapblox is a good way to go and when I was single and had disposable income I would have certainly seen it as a bargain. With three ravenous monsters beautiful daughters to feed, I find the price of blogger affordable (free) even with the flaws (you get what you pay for). Anyone who wants to be a member of West Virginia Blue simply has to email me Carnacki AT hauntedvampire DOT com or SLJ at wvblue AT gmail DOT com.

I'm taking a hiatus from blogging at Daily Kos to put more effort in West Virginia blogging (and also my horror fiction writing).  I really believe SLJ's excellent diary wvkossacks.blogspot.com NOT dailykos.com will swing the 2008 election is one of the best things ever written about local blogging (even with the long headline that he had hoped would draw more eyeballs to his diary and our site).

by Carnacki 2007-01-10 10:48AM | 0 recs
Has a site been picked for Florida<nt>

by fladem 2007-01-10 12:23PM | 0 recs