GOP House Leadership Knew About Sexual Predator Foley-- For A YEAR!

The ABC News report"The Sexually Explicit Internet Messages That Led to Fla. Rep. Foley's Resignation" has damning instant messages, says there are more "too graphic to be broadcast," and that Foley could go to jail "under some of the same laws he helped to enact."

But that's not the worst of it.  The worst is this:

One former page tells ABC News that his class was warned about Foley by people involved in the program.
In other words, Foley's behavior was part of a pattern that was known to House authorities.  How high up?

AP is reporting that House leadership knew:

The page worked for Rep. Rodney Alexander, R-La., who said Friday that when he learned of the e-mail exchanges 10 to 11 months ago, he called the teen's parents. Alexander told the Ruston Daily Leader, "We also notified the House leadership that there might be a potential problem," a reference to the House's Republican leaders.
In short, this is not an individual scandal.  It is an institutional scandal of the GOP-controlled House.  Foley almost certainly violated the law, and Dennis Hastert and his lieutenants covered it up.  This is now the issue fo the 2006 midterm elections--if only the Democrats realize it.

AMERICAblog has some questions that deserve answers:

Does House Republican leader Denny Hastert have a soft spot for child sex offenders?

Seems so. Republican House Speaker Denny Hastert has some serious explaining to do, after today's revelations that they knew about ex-Congressman Mark Foley's sexscapades a good year ago, and did nothing.

Whether or not the kid's parents were fine with letting it go, which the story says is the case, why did Republican House Speaker Denny Hastert permit Foley to remain in the House GOP leadership for almost a year after they knew he was having sex talk with minors online, minors he met on the job?

Why did Republican House Speaker Denny Hastert leave Foley as the co-chair of the House body in charge of child sex offenses for a good year after they knew?

Why did Republican House Speaker Denny Hastert permit Foley to stay in the House at all, where he would be around other pages every day all day long?

And just as importantly, why did Republican House Speaker Denny Hastert let Foley lie publicly yesterday about the emails, claiming they were innocent, and simply a dirty attack from the Democrats, when the House leadership knew the real story?

And finally, we find out that the FBI was contacted two months about this story. Was there any follow-up from the Bush FBI? Or did they just let this potential case of child sex offense go by the wayside because it involved a friend of Bush?

What we have here is yet another exmaple of the lawlessness and irresponsibility of one-party GOP government.

We've seen it with the Abramoff scandal, the scope of which is still far from being known.

We've seen it with the mutliple frauds surrounding the selling of the Iraq war, the scope of which is still far from being known.

We've seen it with massive fraud involved in the "reconstruction" of Iraq, the scope of which is still far from being known.

We've seen it with collapse of FEMA, both pre- and post-Katrina, the scope of which is still far from being known.

And we've seen it with Bush's torture and detention programs, which violate not just the Constitution, but the Magna Charta, the scope of which is still far from being known.

They've been able to spin each and every one of their scandals, one way or another.  But none of those scandals cuts as close to home as this one: cyberstalking a teenager.

And Dennis Hastert covered it up.

Frankly, Hastert should go to jail.  He's an accomplice after the fact, at the very least.  In all probability, he facilitated an ongoing pattern of illegal activity.  There's no doubt whatsoever that if Tom Foley had ignored similar illegal behavior by a Democratic Congressmember on his watch, Newt Gingrich would have demanded his resignation and an FBI investigation.

We should ask for nothing less.

You may be able to spin torture.  But cyberstalking teenage kids is a whole lot harder to tie a bow around.

Thus endeth the long and foolish charade of Conservative/GOP moral superiority.

They hide liars. They hide torturers. They hide sexual predators. They are scum of the earth.

THIS is the nationalization of the 2006 mid-terms. And much, much more.

Tags: GOP House Leadership, hastert, sexual predator (all tags)

Comments

Re: GOP House Leadership Knew About Sexual Predato

Looks like we got our October surprise a couple days early...

by blueryan 2006-09-29 06:39PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP House Leadership Knew About Sexual Predato

DCCC Chair Rham Emanuel Reacts to Foley/House Leadership Teenage Sex Scandal

"Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......."

by Sitkah 2006-09-30 09:26AM | 0 recs
Yes, Well, Fortunately, It's Not Up To Rahm

Though it would certainly help if he woke up and smelled the House on fire.

But all the challengers out there who haven't already been Beltway-ized can still do an awful lot on their own to push this hard.  And why the hell wouldn't they?

Add in the Progressive Caucus members, who have every reason to want to go on the offensive, regardless of what the DLC-types say.

Stir in a few more Repbulicans like Chris Shays trying to create some daylight between themselves and their party label, and maybe Rahm just won't be able to stop a winning strategy from running him over like a semi crushing a Yugo.

by Paul Rosenberg 2006-09-30 06:56PM | 0 recs
Re: Yes, Well, Fortunately, It's Not Up To Rahm

It's looking more and more like like Democrats will stumble across the finish line and into power in spite of Emanuel. But that won't stop him from claiming he won the Kentucky Derby single handedly as owner, jockey, and horse.

by Sitkah 2006-10-01 12:10AM | 0 recs
Re: GOP House Leadership

Looks like we got our October surprise a couple days early...

by blueryan 2006-09-29 06:39PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP House Leadership

I think I'll go trolling at redstate tonight.

by misscee 2006-09-29 06:43PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP House Leadership

Gotta admit it...

I've been trolling a bit myself.

This is like a more rapid macaca.

I remember the buzz just before the video's release, and I honestly thought -- well, 'racist' isn't a term I throw around lightly... then the Lizza TNR piece regains relevancy... then the noose... then the CCC... now it's 5 or 6 words to one that Sen. ALlen has a fondness for racial epitaphs.

...and my God - we've got a real scandal.

I read the initial Foley story (TPMMuckraker, I think)- and Kos diary - a day or so ago.  I honestly figured it was Capital Blues stuff...  Then Foley resigns, and wow - he'll hopefully be going to jail, and we've now got THREE seats all but in the bag... Now - it's looking like a question of who goes down with him.  Hastert?  Reynolds?  Blunt?

I mean- AMerica, God luv ya', but please tell you've had enough...  Isn't there some point where blind partisanship has to give way to SOME kind of integrity?  Some point where making sure no one subpeonas Commander Codpiece is less important than booting criminals, scoundrels, liars, and their abettors from office?

by zonk 2006-09-29 06:59PM | 0 recs
"epithets", not "epitaphs"

... though let's hope "macaca" does end up being Allen's political epitaph.

by KCinDC 2006-09-30 07:03AM | 0 recs
Re: GOP House Leadership Knew About Sexual Predato

I can't fathom why Foley was even running.

I know that the House Republicans are complete moral idiots, but it seems like the height of political arrogance to know that this skeleton is sitting in the closet and not look for a safer candidate.

by BruceMcF 2006-09-29 06:50PM | 0 recs
The GOP is genuinely depraved

In the way that Hunter S. Thompson used to claim the fuckers were depraved.

They genuinely believe that their power insulates them from even the highest moral codes.

by jcjcjc 2006-09-29 07:04PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP House Leadership Knew About Sexual Predato

and to think Foley was even one of the people they were floating as a candidate against Harris in the Senate primary.

by johnny longtorso 2006-09-30 05:53AM | 0 recs
Typical Republicanism

The Republicans...

-- Had Halliburton oversee Iraq reconstruction.
 -- Had Enronites oversee the Department of Commerce.
 -- Had logging interests write the Healthy Forests Act.
 -- Had Alberto Gonzales as the public defender of the Constitution.
 -- Had Karl Rove "run" Katrina recovery.
 -- Had a pedophile protecting expolited children.

Same disease. Different symptoms.

The bankruptcy of Republicanism defies categorization. Just when you think they can't go any lower...

by Master Jack 2006-09-29 06:54PM | 0 recs
What did the GOP leadership know and

when did they know it?

The Watergate phrase, use it!

by molly bloom 2006-09-29 06:59PM | 0 recs
Re: What did the GOP leadership know and

What did the Re[ublicans Know, and When did they decide that they Did Not Know It?

by BruceMcF 2006-09-29 08:52PM | 0 recs
Great comment from dkos...

Run this ad...

"Republicans trusted a pedophile to protect your children from predators. Can you trust them to protect you from terrorism?"

by Erik 2006-09-29 07:01PM | 0 recs
Re: Great comment from dkos...

nice.

by ab initio 2006-09-29 11:25PM | 0 recs
This is something else...

I mean, I accept to a degree that all politicians are corrupt.

But, in truth, in my most cynical moment I never thought the GOP would defend someone who solicits minors for sex.

by jcjcjc 2006-09-29 07:02PM | 0 recs
Re: This is something else...

Proof that care only about their dwindling power.

by Erik 2006-09-29 07:04PM | 0 recs
Maybe it's time to break out shovels

We might as well admit it... if the GOP is THIS far gone, there have to be bodies out there somewhere.  Just gotta waterboard Hastert and get down to finding them.

Honestly ... this whole episode is mind-blowing.  You think you know how far these clowns will go, and then they pull some shit like this that makes you just stop and wonder where it ever ends.

Does it end?

I worry.

by jcjcjc 2006-09-29 07:06PM | 0 recs
They Stole The Presidency...

after that, nothing surprises me.

Except our good fortune.

by Paul Rosenberg 2006-09-29 07:14PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP House Leadership Knew About Sexual Predato
Well, they are known as the Do Nothing Congress.
Just living up to thier reputations.
by vwcat 2006-09-29 07:03PM | 0 recs
Why is this all coming out now?

All of a sudden, we've gotten:

-- The damning NIE assessment
  -- Bob Woodward's book (Bob Woodward?)
  -- The generals ripping Rumsfeld a few new ones over Iraq
  -- Foley's pedophilia and the House Republicans' coverup
  -- George Allen's racism, with MEDIA COVERAGE of it, almost never flattering to Allen
  -- Bill Clinton's assertiveness on Fox

What's going on? Why is all this bad news for Republicans suddenly gushing forth, after years or media quiescence?

Could it be that the PTB's have finally had enough of the Bush/Cheney show and have greenlighted media coverage of these things?

It's just odd. Four years ago all of this would've been covered up until after the election.

by Master Jack 2006-09-29 07:07PM | 0 recs
Justice Is Slow...

but not absent.

Or, as the last good Republican said, "You can fool all the people some of the time..."

by Paul Rosenberg 2006-09-29 07:11PM | 0 recs
One man...

KO showed the meja that it was okay to stand up to this admin and they followed him because his ratings were on the rise.

by Erik 2006-09-29 07:44PM | 0 recs
The Woodward book is the most significant

It comes with a built-in slogan, State of Denial. That more than overwhelms cut and run and makes up for the Democratic leaderships complete inability to put anything into the national vocabulary.

If we don't abuse State of Denial in commercials and at every opportunity we're stone nuts. It has national implication, unlike Allen or Foley.

We can combine State of Denial quotes with the clips of Bush from the press conderence, irritated that the NIE assessment was supposedly leaked for political gain. Then ask with a devastating voice-over, "Were President Bush and the Republicans concealing the truth and intentionally misleading us for nothing but political gain, while Americans die in Iraq and Afghanistan?" Bush's mug was even more unappealing than typical in that political gain clip, and I'd make damn sure it was frozen on the screen for impact.

by jagakid 2006-09-29 07:52PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP House Leadership Knew

Nice diary Paul.  I thought the Repubs were the party of "family values."  I didn't realize that included pedophiles.

I guess anything can be ignored for money and votes.  This is really outrageous.

by John Mills 2006-09-29 07:11PM | 0 recs
They do value families

After all, where are kids manufactured, except for families?

by jcjcjc 2006-09-29 09:15PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP House Leadership Knew

One other thought - the Dems were pounded mercilessly in 1994 for the House Bank and Rostenkowski Post Office scandal.  However, this is far, far worse and we must demand accountability beyond the resignation of Mark Foley.

Pages are high school students who are under the custody of the House and Senate.  It is the responsibility of the House Leadership to make sure they are as safe as possible.  It would be one thing if Foley had been doing this without the leadership knowing.  However, since Congressman Alexander rightly reported this to the leadership, Hastert, DeLay et al completely abdicated their duties, no doubt to ensure they kept Foley's vote.

IT IS TIME FOR REGIME CHANGE IN CONGRESS!!!

by John Mills 2006-09-29 07:23PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP House Leadership Knew About Sexual Predato

Covering up for a pedophile....hmm....!  First, isn't there some legal issue here?  Second, isn't this the sort of thing that keeps the Catholic Church in low repute?

Whoever is running against Hastart truly has a family values issue to run to ground.  I hope, like you, that it is realized and please do it respectfully and with extreme prejudice.

by ddrich 2006-09-29 07:44PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP House Leadership Knew About Sexual Predato

Yes.  And the catholic church has been protected by statue of limitations and charitable immumity laws.  They can also move priests overseas or transfer documents to the Vatican (and maybe the Vatican Embassy in D.C. too) if the legal machinery gets to close.

The US Congress doesn't have (or shouldn't) the same protections and shroud of secrecy.

If the republican leadership covered it up they should be prosecuted and civil suits filed by the teens and/or their families against the indivdual leaders, the page program, the republican party and potentially the U.S. Congress itself.

by northcountry 2006-09-29 08:40PM | 0 recs
Yahtzee!

This is just exactly the catalyst that was needed to transform poorly-understood scandal and a 20-seat Democratic gain into public outrage and a tidal wave election.

by Ron Thompson 2006-09-29 07:48PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP House Leadership Knew About Predator

I just paid this compliment over at D Kos- and I will make it here too: thank you for covering this as it should be covered- about a sexual predator rather than as about sexual orientation.

by bruh21 2006-09-29 07:49PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP House Leadership Knew About Predator

This has nothing to do with sexual orientation.  THese are high school students almost all of whom are minors!!!  This is beyond young, old icky of which there is plenty in DC.  It's abuse of power and possibly illegal.

This isn't the first page related scandal.  IN 1983 or 84 Cong Dan Crane (R) and Cong Gerry Studds (D) had sex with a female and male page respectively.  Crane lost while Studds won.  Frankly, I thought neither belonged in Congress.

by John Mills 2006-09-29 08:04PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP House Leadership Knew About Predator

I agree with you, but as I am pissed about what's going on I have to at the same time, as a gay man, be vigilant about gay issues. that's the society we live in. Peo associate these things with gay men regardless of the fact that most sexual predators are straight. That doesn't in anyway mean I am any less angry- in fact- given my orientation- I am even more annoyed on some levels because I look at it as through understanding that this guy was a closet case going around abusing teenagers rather than be emotionally honest (I am assuming becuase of the age he isn't a pedophile but did engage in sexual abuse). When I see someone correctly identifying what is the problem here- I want to let them know that their clarity is a good thing. So that others can have them as an example even if its only a few peo who ever see the diary on my compliment.

by bruh21 2006-09-29 08:13PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP House Leadership Knew About Predator

IN my mind, it has nothing to do with sexual orientation.  I don't care what consenting adults do but the key words "consenting adults"  don't apply here.  I'd be just as outraged if Foley had been doing this with a female page.

I also worry that this gives the page program, which is a great opportunity for high school students to learn about govt and see Congress up front, a bad name.  It is really upsetting.

by John Mills 2006-09-29 08:25PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP House Leadership Knew About Predator

I think you are trying to create an argument where there isn't one. My comments aren't about your mind. They are about the mind of peo who do conflat sexual predators with being gay. Over a D Kos right now- someone quickly correct a guy who said Foley (and the GOP) should be tarred as protecting homosexual pedophiles. Clearly this person, unlike you, me and the bloggers who run this sites doesn't seem to understand that Foley being gay or not has nothing to do with the fact he is a sexual predator. I am complimenting, and will let it stand the runners of this site for not makign the same mistake as the poster over a D Kos and other less liberal sites are making (ie, redstate etc). My fear is also how the press will react to this. I am speaking as a member of the minority group often accused of this. If you want to understand thisf rom another direction its the same feeling I get as a black guy who sees race linked to crime. It's not that I think that it excuses an action- its that my statement is endorsing the the action fo the bloggers here. That's all. Trying to pretend like this isn't in some peo's mind can lead us to the place I dont want to go.

by bruh21 2006-09-29 08:32PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP House Leadership Knew About Predator

Sorry.  I am not trying to create an argument, more venting my outrage over it.  It may be my experience as a once young Congressional staffer (not a page though) but it has really hit a nerve with me.

I certainly hope the press doesn't take the wrong message from it.  That would be a horrible outcome.

by John Mills 2006-09-29 08:40PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP House Leadership Knew About Predator

Trust me- I feel the same way. I dont like when peo abuse power. Having been the subject of sexual abuse by someone with authority over me at one point earlier in my life, I wish I had done something about it. I don't like peo who do this or the peo who cover it up for them. I didn't like with the gov of CA did it, when it was Dem from CA or anyone else. It's simply unacceptable and inexcusable.\

by bruh21 2006-09-29 08:43PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP House Leadership Knew About Predator

The House Republican leadership is incredibly hypocritical to run on an anti-gay marriage platform in 2004 and protect a predator in 2005. However, it is hard for Dems to use this as a wedge issue without appealing to homophobia.  Elections are won and lost on emotion, but we don't want to play to base emotions because it degrades us and our moral standing. I agree with you that MYDD has handled this situation in an exemplary manner.

by FishOutofWater 2006-09-30 08:00AM | 0 recs
I Disagree!

This has nothing to do with homosexuality.  It has to do with sexual predation, abuse of power, and a conspiracy to cover up same.

Will homophobes attempt to exploit it for their own ends?  Absolutely!  Should that stop us for a moment?  Absolutely not!

The plain fact is that sexual predation has nothing to do with sexual orientation.  If we let the prospect of rightwing lies deter us, we may as well just curl up and die.  Because one thing is as sure as corn in Kansas--if the rightwing speaks, the rightwing lies.

by Paul Rosenberg 2006-09-30 09:09AM | 0 recs
Re: I Disagree!

Paul - Agree 100%.  This has nothing to do with sexual orientation.  This is about sexual predation, abuse of office and covering the misdeed up.  We should not let that message get muddled.  It would be just as outrageous if Foley were heterosexual and doing it with a female page.

by John Mills 2006-09-30 01:27PM | 0 recs
Re: I Disagree! - No I was Unclear

We have no disagreement. The GOP House leadership did nothing because they thought that the boy's parents would go along with a cover up. The GOP leadership was more concerned about one house seat than the safety of the teens under their supervision. This is a major issue. They were enabling a sexual predator.

I see that my words were ambiguous. I was trying to say that we need to frame and discuss this issue carefully.  You have done so very effectively.

by FishOutofWater 2006-10-01 05:57AM | 0 recs
Pedophile issue, not gay issue

bruh's comment is good and his compliment to the MyDD community for their response is well earned.  My guess is that Redstate comments are focusing on Foley being "a f--" although to be honest I don't bother to go over there.

bruh's concern that this remain a predatory issue and not be turned into something to gay bash is  legit too.  After all, this is exactly why the Boy Scouts have a policy against allowing gay Scout leaders.  They fear that gay = pedophile.  All of the examples I know of in 25 years in Scouting showed that Scout child molesters were "straight" perverts, yet the  myth persists.

That John and others have responded that this is not a gay issue supports bruh's point.  Happily.

by The lurking ecologist 2006-09-30 09:00AM | 0 recs
People don't, assholes do

Trust me.  I grew up in western PA and we got to see our share of so-called "straight" pedophiles perp walked.

Anyone who sees this as a gay issue is probably too damned dumb to deal with the problem at all.  Or, they're just old-fashioned right-wing assholes with nothing better to do than chariacature an entire class of people.

These are the same ones who run around treating Mexicans like shit for "taking jobs" while calling blacks lazy.

Don't waste your time trying to turn these jerks.  They don't even obey their own rules or listen to their own rhetoric.

by jcjcjc 2006-09-29 09:20PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP House Leadership Knew About Predator

it is illegal. Solicitation of sex with a minor over the Internet, Bet there's much more there too.

by northcountry 2006-09-29 08:46PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP House Leadership Knew About Predator

it doesn't matter to me if its illegal or not- its still sexually predatory

by bruh21 2006-09-29 08:52PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP House Leadership Knew About Predator

Absolutley.  There is no reason an adult should be saying shit like that to a teenager and soliciting them for sex acts.  It's creepy, sick, immoral and wrong.  Not to mention illegal.

by northcountry 2006-09-29 09:32PM | 0 recs
IL Democratic Congressional Candidates

Is this maybe a good time to give some love and money to Illinois candidates John Laesch, who is running against Denny Hastert (IL-15, I think) and Danny Stover, IL-19, a really fine candidate, who is running against John Shimkus? Shimkus, apparently, is the guy who has been in charge of the congressional page program, so he had to have known about all of this.

by grayslady 2006-09-29 07:49PM | 0 recs
Re: IL Democratic Congressional Candidates

And to Dan Seals http://www.dansealsforcongress.com who is running against Mark Kirk, the Assistant Majority Whip? Who brags about the online predator legislation? Who Mr. Hastert put in the #2 position?

by northshore barbie 2006-09-29 07:52PM | 0 recs
Sexual Predator Foley-- For A YEAR!

I'll bet my last nickel that this thing gets more ink from the MSM in the next 2 days than the torture issue got in the past couple weeks.

by global yokel 2006-09-29 08:05PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP House Leadership Knew

Don't know anything about STOVER, a Dem running in the IL - 19th against the guy [John Shimkus] who was supposed to be doing oversight for the House Page Program.

Howard Dean was right - run everywhere. [Cuz you never know].

WHO KNEW: Rep. Rodney Alexander, R-La, does not have a Dem challenger.

WHO KNEW: Illinois's 19th District : John Shimkus, has a challenger, Stover

by mrobinsong 2006-09-29 08:08PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP House Leadership Knew

To Rep. Aleander's credit, he reported it up the food chain and did what duty he probably owed this matter.

by Phoenix Rising 2006-09-29 09:50PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP House Leadership Knew

Not true. If there were laws being violated, which seems obvious, he was ethically bound to report it to law enforcement. Right?

by Joe Gabriel 2006-09-30 07:27AM | 0 recs
Precisely!

I can understand the parents wanting to make the whole thing go away.  But understanding their desire does not mean acceding to it.  It's well-known that sexual predators serially offend, so the duty to involve law enforcement is clear.

What can be said is that he was, apparently, the only GOP figure involved who acted in even a minimally responsible manner.  If he weren't a frikken lawmaker, one might excuse him for being swayed by the parents.

But anyone in government, from a beat cop on up knows that criminal matters aren't like civil complaints.  It's the public as a whole that's the injured party when criminal conduct is suspected.  That's why the cases read, "The People vs."

by Paul Rosenberg 2006-09-30 09:03AM | 0 recs
Wilhelm Reich nailed this

particular brand of psychosis back in the early 1930's in a book called "The Mass Psychology of Fascism"...

He was a VERY weird guy, but early in his career he produced psychoanalytical work that is still considered relevant.

I think this one qualifies.

I diaried it at Kos: Pedophilia, Totalitarianism, Torture - A Nexus

these are some seriously weird and fucked up people.

by RedDan 2006-09-29 08:08PM | 0 recs
Re: GOP House Leadership Knew About Sexual Predato

OK, this is absolutely crazy.

That sad thing is, I'm not at all surprised this goes further than just Foley.

My guess is this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Who else has been doing this stuff and getting away with it?

The page board has been covering for other people, I can smell it.

phat

by phatass 2006-09-29 08:10PM | 0 recs
You May Be Right, But

There's really no need to speculate. Our bird in the hand is all we need.  Once we're in power, we can investigate the whole bush.

by Paul Rosenberg 2006-09-29 08:33PM | 0 recs
Re: You May Be Right, But

Well sure, there's no need to speculate. But there's nothing stopping me either.:-)

I realize that this is certainly a sensitive thing but I gotta say, not often does a political hack like me get handed something like this.

phat

by phatass 2006-09-29 08:45PM | 0 recs
My Point Is...

normally, the more perpetrators, the better.  But in this case, one is enough.  'Cause the more people involved in the coverup, the better.

More perps would just be icing on the cake.  But Harstert and Boehner are the cake.

by Paul Rosenberg 2006-09-30 05:52AM | 0 recs
Re: My Point Is...

Oh, yes, I certainly agree.

phat

by phatass 2006-09-30 04:09PM | 0 recs
THE Issue

Democrats would have to jump on it big, now, before the GOP noise machine lays down spike strips.

by msnook 2006-09-29 08:41PM | 0 recs
GOP House Leadership

Knew About Sexual Predator  Foley-- For A YEAR and they call us lefties Hypocrites!!!

by HCLiberal 2006-09-29 08:53PM | 0 recs
It's Called Projection, Dude!

And it's part of the GOP's genetic code.

You know the drill:

Pot. Kettle. Black.

by Paul Rosenberg 2006-09-30 05:55AM | 0 recs
Hastert is to blame...

...for Foley, Delay, Ambramoff, Doolittle....

And they want to talk about Pelosi?

Okay. Let's do that.

Steve

by stevehigh 2006-09-29 09:10PM | 0 recs
Is that the GOP's "Big Tent"?

Cause there's really no way to stop a pedophile elephant except to put him down.

by jcjcjc 2006-09-29 10:04PM | 0 recs
Re: sex scandal trumps all

The poster who said this will get more ink and coverage than torture is spot on. The American media, and media consumers, like nothing better than a juicy sex scandal. The GOP can forget trying to use immigration, terror, OBL, the whole nine yards to motivate theire base because all that's going to be talked about and reported on for the next month is this sex scandal. Sex sells and the media knows it.

by phillydem 2006-09-29 10:27PM | 0 recs
Re: sex scandal trumps all

DEMOCRATIC sex sells. Republican sex is swept into the bin after 2 days with some lame excuse.

Personally, I doubt the media will spend 1/10th the time on this scandal that they did on the original senate page scandal. It's too "political" meaning it's just Republicans who are being indicted.

And it IS just the tip of the iceberg. If, as ABC news is reporting, former pages were "warned" about Foley, then there had to be a LOT more such conduct than has already been reported.

If you read the text-messages, you can see that this guy is a veteran. This isn't the first page he's propositioned. He has his little sexual banter routine down pat and there's zero doubt in my mind that he did this less than 10 times with different boys.

This guy is the Michael Jackson of the U.S. Congress and now Hastert is scrambling around denying everything!

The blatant lying on this one stinks to high-heaven!

by Cugel 2006-09-30 10:08AM | 0 recs
Debra laFave

It would be funny if we can dig up any quotes, if any were made, by Foley related to trhe DEbra Lafave case(the 22 yr old FL hot teacher who slept with her 15 yr old student).

by Pravin 2006-09-30 12:10AM | 0 recs
Democrats house

To truly take advantage of this though, the Dems have to make sure their house is in order.  If they have anyone in a similar position, this guy needs to be removed.  Else the familiar meme "they're all the same" comes into play.

by The lurking ecologist 2006-09-30 09:06AM | 0 recs