They Are Starting to Get It

The Lamont-Lieberman schedule is light today, so I'm going to go and do some more phone-banking.  The Democratic Party sort of gets what's happening.

Rep. Rahm Emanuel (Ill.), chairman of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, said Friday he is not worried about the fallout from the Senate primary on House races, arguing that the message from Connecticut is that anyone supporting Bush's war policies is in deep trouble. "What's playing out here is that being a rubber stamp for George Bush is politically dangerous to life-threatening," he said.

It's not just Bush, it's Bushism.  But we'll get there.  Actually, I'm fairly convinced that Rahm didn't say this intending the implications it carries, since a lot of his nonsense about moving the party to the right is undercut by the Lamont challenge.

And then there's this, from 'World War III' Newt Gingrich.

Third, you have what I think is a legitimate insurgency in Connecticut, which needs to be met head on and debated head on, which is people who say this is so hard, it is so frightening, it's so painful, can't we come home and hide? And I think if Lamont wins next Tuesday, it will be the beginning of extraordinarily important period in American politics, and in American history. For all of us to have this debate. How dangerous are the terrorists? How dangerous are the dictatorships? And what does America have to do in that kind of a dangerous world?

The wingnuts have been freaking out for months about Lamont, because they know that the movement he represents is the only group in the country that doesn't care what they say.  This is bigger than Connecticut.

Oh, and I was asking around, and it seems that the Lamont campaign's field operation just isn't as tight and well-staffed with volunteers as it needs to be.  Come to Norwalk if you can.  The details are on the flip.

If you're coming today, let them know how many people are coming, when you'll arrive, when you're leaving, and whether you have a car.
Email: rmcleod@nedlamont.com

LOCATION:
91 N Main St
Norwalk, CT 06854

DRIVING INSTRUCTIONS
Yahoo Maps is here: http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?addr=9 1+North+Main+St&csz=Norwalk%2C+CT+06 854&country=us

PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION:
Go to the Norwalk Station via the Metronorth line.  The Train Schedule is here:
(http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/mnr/html/planni ng/schedules/index.html)

If you call that number or email and let the field office manager know when you are coming, he will have you picked up from the train station.

Tags: Connecticut, CT-Sen, Joe Lieberman, Ned Lamont, rahm emanuel (all tags)

Comments

Re: They Are Starting to Get It

Ha ha - Lanny Davis has mentioned the kiss 4 or 5 times on MTP.  With friends like those...

by Karatist Preacher 2006-08-06 07:41AM | 0 recs
Lamont should advertize this:

This morning Lieberman was asked by Steph whether he'd run as an independent if he lost.. and Lieberman said, (I don't have the exact transcript)
"the best way to prevent this is to vote for me!"

Is this exortion or what?

He's basically saying, "vote for me or I'll run against your choice!"

IF he's a Dem why not respect the Dems' choice?!!!

by Andros 2006-08-06 07:56AM | 0 recs
Re: They Are Starting to Get It

There's two Norwalk stations, you may wish to clarify which one. ;p  Neither of them is just named "Norwalk."

by auronrenouille 2006-08-06 07:56AM | 0 recs
Re: They Are Starting to Get It

I believe the one you're looking for is South Norwalk.

by PsiFighter37 2006-08-06 08:31AM | 0 recs
Re: They Are Starting to Get It

I've said it before, I'll say it again.

A decisive win by Lamont (10 points or so) and Iraq becomes issue #1 nationwide. Expect within a week, Webb and Carter as well as around 50 house challengers to start putting statements on Iraq as their front page stories and to lead with it in their speaches (Darcy? Pat Murphey?). A Lamont win allows the establishment to back a talking point of withdraw and if the challengers adopt it, the final piece should be in place for a big November win. We needed an issue like this in the final 100 days to put us over the final bump.

Go Ned Go! When you win, we win.

by Trowaman 2006-08-06 08:01AM | 0 recs
Re: They Are Starting to Get It

Actually, I'm fairly convinced that Rahm will call for Democrats to move to the left, if he sees political advantage in it.  Practicality and the desire to beat the right-wing takeover of our country dictates that we accept the results of this kind of opportunism, at least in the short term.

We can weed out the insincere ones later.

Carolyn Kay
MakeThemAccountable.com

by Caro 2006-08-06 08:17AM | 0 recs
Re: They Are Starting to Get It

This may not have been a slip of the tongue by Emmanueal. It could signal that DCDems finally get it enough to at least start paying lip service to RealDems across the country.

Lamont should quote Emmanuel in every one of his public appearances and should get the quote into every CT newspaper.

by Sitkah 2006-08-06 08:22AM | 0 recs
Rahm Emanuel

I strongly agree with both of the last two comments; I do not think his comment was any kind of slip of the tounge. He is a smart man and I think he understands what has happened in Connecticut. His poisition on this race was not like Shumer's; he has been careful to say nothing to suggest that he would support Lieberman if he lost the primary. I think he understands just how powerful a force has been unleashed in this race and I suspect he will immediately set about trying to use it to get Democrats elected in the Fall. I met Emanuel recently at a fund raiser for Eric Massa, and while he impressed me as being "cold" (his own description of his attutude about where to invest the funds available) he also struck me as being very astute. So I think we should greet his statement as the best possible news; it is a big victory in our effort to convince people about the direction the party should go.

by herodotus 2006-08-06 09:34AM | 0 recs
Disagreements with RE

...are generally good-faith disagreements rather than attempts at undermining like with Joe.

by MNPundit 2006-08-06 11:41AM | 0 recs
Re: They Are Starting to Get It

I found Chris Matthews speech on the race strangely reassuring.       His pressure that Dems should get out and vote,   IMO, means he is hoping for Lamont!     The more that come out, the more the chance is they are for Ned.

The Liebervoters are there to say they are happy with the same-ole, same -ole way that Joe has had of doing business in our names.    He will be back to his old ways the day after the Primary, should he win, so why anybody would vote for him is mind boggling.      Some people just like pain!

by Bergs 2006-08-06 08:28AM | 0 recs
Re: They Are Starting to Get It

Who knows what the plot in Matthews' B political movie mind is?

All he ever cares about is to be on the winning side -- even if it means doing a 180 in mid-sentence.

by Sitkah 2006-08-06 08:43AM | 0 recs
Re: They Are Starting to Get It

Chris Matthews is one of the very few political pundits that I actually enjoy listen to.

His insight, while not always something that I agree with, is usually pretty intelligent.

by musa 2006-08-06 12:46PM | 0 recs
Re: They Are Starting to Get It

Matthews is Bushscum. But he's not worth the trouble of really caring about since so few people watch his show anyway. I just stopped watching him, except by occasional chance while channel surfing, years ago -- and he's still the same schmuck.

by Sitkah 2006-08-06 10:30PM | 0 recs
Re: They Are Starting to Get It

I'm here at the Norwalk office - we've already sent out most of the volunteers on GOTV. I missed the early wave because of an accident on I-95. I think I'm waiting on a couple people to show up so we can head out as well, but I'm not sure. Hopefully, we'll be heading out in a little bit.

by PsiFighter37 2006-08-06 08:31AM | 0 recs

Way to go PsiFighter!

Pretty sure I'll bve working out of Norwalk tomnorrow, hopefully we'll meet.

by Urban Pirate 2006-08-06 08:51AM | 0 recs
Re: They Are Starting to Get It

repudiation of Lieberman ....

by dearreader 2006-08-06 09:07AM | 0 recs
Hillary seems to be getting it

That woman is scared as hell. The way she went after Rumsfeld. Ha ha. Like she didnt know he has been incompetent an clueless for the last 6 years. Where was all this hindsight 2 years ago? When he was making those ridiculous statements in 2002, where was Hillary questioning the wisdom of the moves?

I usually say better late than never, but in Hillary's case, he has already done the damage. There are only 2 years left for Rumsfeld at most, and what she is doing no really does not help the country enough at this stage.

by Pravin 2006-08-06 12:21PM | 0 recs
I'm not so sure...

A moment, please, of quiet reflection.

No one will be more delighted than I to see the whole ghastly Iraq adventure brought to as speedy an end as practically possible.

And there's no doubt that Lamont's anti-war message is distinctive; and, if he wins on Tuesday, Dem Iraq policy will be once again up for review.

But I'd be cautious about making Iraq withdrawal the broad thrust of the campaign, even though the polls make Iraq the most salient issue, and early withdrawal the (not quite yet overwhelmingly) popular policy.

Let's look where we're starting: the Reid-Pelosi letter of July 31.

The boldness that is the hallmark of Brer Lamont is nowhere to be found: it uses 645 words to pledge as close to nothing as makes no difference. It is entirely in keeping with a Dem strategy of remaining deep in their funk holes, only to emerge on November 8 to surrender or claim victory as the case may be.

Yet the suggestion seems to be that, if Lamont wins, the Dems will dash out of their funk holes to mount an assault on the Iraq front, to the cheers of a grateful public?

And let's, while we're on the subject, contemplate the fine cadre of generals who would be organizing and executing this daring and spectacular manoeuver, the signatories of the letter: Reid, Pelosi, Durbin, Hoyer...

Into the valley of death rode the 246...

(Kidding.)

Rahmbo's statement - which I'm sure was not inadvertent - is in one way striking: he's taking sides in a Dem Senate primary.

But how wide does his warning go? How much of Bush's agenda does a Dem MC have to support before being tagged as a rubber stamp? (CAFTA, the bankruptcy bill, American Jobs Creation Act, the energy bill, the Medicare bill - these and many more key bills attracted large minorities of Dem MCs.)

Or is it only rubber-stamping for Bush on Iraq that counts?

Is there a statute of limitations? Because 29 sons of bitches Dem senators voted for the Iraq res (H J Res 114 (107th Cong)). Are they all headed for the dumpster, on Rahm's Rule?

And does it matter where the MC is from? Do the Nelsons-Landrieu crew get a free pass for their rubber-stamping given their electoral need to kow-tow to their conservative constituencies?

And what happens if Lamont loses in the primary?

Would that mean that the funk-hole strategy on Iraq would be back in place, and that Rahmbo would blame a touch of the sun for momentarily going off the reservation?

(Being For Roosevelt before Chicago only proved so beneficial for those Dem honchos that were because Roosevelt won the nom! If Al Smith had won, they'd not have looked quite so smart.

And Lamont isn't a prez candidate; leaping up to back him just before the primary is meant to goose whom? The all-powerful Netroots Horde and their leader, Genghis Kos?)

Something - probably more than one thing - isn't kosher with Rahmbo's intervention, but I'm not much further in guessing what...

by skeptic06 2006-08-06 12:25PM | 0 recs
Haha

Connecticut insurgents?

That's pretty funny.

The reality is most Americans are against the War.

by nonwhiteperson 2006-08-06 01:05PM | 0 recs