House 2006: Huge Fundraising Increase For Democratic Challengers

Don't worry, this posts ties in Connecticut at the end--Chris

The FEC has released a very detailed report on congressional candidate fundraising during the 2005-2006 cycle. Among the many charts, tables and stats, I found this passage to be the most salient:House campaigns raised $544 million (up 18% from 2004 levels) and spent $325.5 million (17% above the previous cycle). They reported a cash balance of $367 million as of June 30. Receipts by Republican House candidates increased 12% with increases for incumbent candidates (23%) and open seat candidates (15%) but a decline in overall receipts for Republican House challengers of 34% when compared with 2004. Democratic candidates' receipts were 26% higher than in the last cycle with a small increase for incumbents (4%) and larger increases for both open seat candidates (46%) and challengers, whose fundraising more than doubled when compared with 2004. When it comes to money and recruiting candidates, Democrats are clearly in a much, much better position in 2006 than they were in 2004. Further, compared to 2004, Democrats have superior positions in national polls, and greatly superior positions in competitive races. Factor in what appears to be increasing evidence that Democrats are turning out at higher levels than Republicans, and now we basically seem to only be lacking in terms of message and the always frustrating conspiracy gap (though we are making up ground in that department).

While by no means perfect, this is undeniably the best effort Democrats have put forward to retake the House since we lost it in 1994. If Democrats start talking more like Rahm Emmanuel did today, and less like how they were talking at the DLC conference two weeks ago, then we might really be in business. If it took the impending the defeat of Joe Lieberman for Emmanuel and others to finally get the clue we have so longed for them to find, that just means that one of the most basic rationales many of us have always had for supporting Ned Lamont has already been demonstrated. No one in DC will want to become the next Joe Lieberman, and people will realize that forces outside of the control Democratic political professionals in DC are now representative of a huge portion--quite possibly the majority--of the Democratic rank and file. This campaign has the potential to significantly change the Democratic Party for the better, as the progressive movement is taken more seriously in DC, and as far fewer Democrats become willing to cozy up to the conservative movement in all its various manifestations.

I'll be in Connecticut tomorrow through Wednesday to take part in this historic moment. I hope to see you there.

Tags: Activism, Fundraising, House 2006, messaging, polls, progressive movement, Voter Turnout (all tags)

Comments

Increase For Democratic Challengers

Chris,

I think it's gotten to the point where the Democratic establishment is beginning to realize that the netroots/progressive faction of the Party is strong enough that we are indispensable to the future of the Party.   We are the battery back, the energy source that can drive a grassroots campaign.  We aren't going to feel like we're on the outside knocking on the door much longer--  especially if Ned Lamont wins.

by global yokel 2006-08-06 12:00PM | 0 recs

It is SO important that people like Rahm Emanuel see what is going on (at last). This is why I have always thought that the massive concentration on the CT race was absolutely the right thing to do. It has not diverted attention, money and energy from other important races; it will show the way to victory in those other races.

by herodotus 2006-08-06 12:18PM | 0 recs
Re: YES!!!

bingo- a wake up call

by bruh21 2006-08-06 01:24PM | 0 recs
To bad they wasted money in IL 06
I would feel better if the DCCC had not wasted money in IL 06 to torpedo a strong local progressive with a carpetbagger sockpuppet who has essentially disappeared since the primary.
That and 3, or more, districts in Florida where progressives were sabatauged with the use of DCCC money.
I fear by pushing all the rethuglican lites that the DCCC has already lost no matter who wins in Novenmber.
by Rational 2006-08-06 01:02PM | 0 recs
Re: To bad they wasted money in IL 06

Come now, it isn't that bad,
Sure Cegalis lost and that one blew. Since Hackett dropped out I consider Patrick Murphey the face of the Iraq war veterans, not Duckworth, but, Cook did upgrade her race to toss up with in the last month, I guess she's doing something right, still could be better.

In Florida, the only one I know of is the race to replace Katherine Harris. Our Progressive candidate in 2002 and 2004 made no imporvement in her numbers. Why not? This tells me that while her ideals may be more in sync with us, she is a poor candidate when it comes to campaigning. Harris was a slow moving target and she did not improve either time, Rahm is right to support the more centrist candidate here.

And remember, Our guys beat the DLC shills in CA-11 and Montana Senate, so we are balancing out with Rahm's picks about 50% of the time.

by Trowaman 2006-08-06 01:33PM | 0 recs
Boy I hope you're right

But I fear what might happen should Lieberman not lose on Tuesday. There's lots of uninformed voters out there, and lots of GOP voters who will cross over to support Joe. I just hope Ned can pull it off as it would bring the start to a great change within the party.

I guess I'm having those "Iowa" flashbacks again... Just call me Eore.

by michael in chicago 2006-08-06 01:28PM | 0 recs
Re: House 2006: Huge Fundraising Increase For Demo
Interesting article..
by aqua9 2006-08-06 03:36PM | 0 recs
I hope you're right too

But I don't see it.  If Lamont wins, the party establishment, which seems to be the entire party except for Maxine Waters, will ride it out and keep working on figuring out a way not to have it happen again.  Remember Jimmy Carter v. Ted Kennedy? They know how to handle uprisings from the people.

The question will be this: Are we on the left willing to support candidates who "can't win" to work for a day when what you wrote will be true?

by eRobin 2006-08-06 04:23PM | 0 recs
Lamont is a special case

You cannot carry over Lamont's experience to every other Dem challenger. Connecticut is a deep blue state with a strong liberal base (unlike Bush states where most Dems are center-right), and Lamont has spent $3 million of his own money in this race, without which he would stand no chance.

by OfficeOfLife 2006-08-06 06:59PM | 0 recs
Can you folks spell....

circular firing squad. I will be blunt. Quit whining about how 'we're gonna lose...'.

It's depressing and dumb.

The Republicans have been working on their political machine for FORTY YEARS. Progressives just got started. There were no 'progressives' ten, twenty, thirty years ago. The ideas expressed on this blog were decried as 'communist', 'anarchist' or worst of all 'counterculture' and that was the end of the discussion. Everyone went back to watching the Raiders or the Yankees or whatever and all the while the ReThugs were gnawing away at the structure of our media and political system.

And now...

What?

If Lamont doesn't win yer goin' back to watchin TV.

Go ahead.

'We win'.

by Pericles 2006-08-06 08:06PM | 0 recs
Re: House 2006: Huge Fundraising Increase For Demo

"You won't be missed. The rest of us, the adults are gonna keep on fighting until as the Dread Kos says,
'We win'."

Agree..

by kevin8 2006-08-17 04:51PM | 0 recs
One State Strategy

Make Lamont win.

This is an "all-in moment."

I am not exactly one of you. First of all, I'm an old bastard. Second of all, I admire Rahm. I admire Tony Coehlo. I admire both Bill and Hillary. I admire Bob Shrum. Of course, I admit I remember them from the days when all of us were young, when we asked America to come home, when America told us to go fuck ourselves.

On the other hand, I hate Holy Joe like Iago hated the Moor. He kicked the 2000 race into the toilet and smirked while doing it. He always was a piss-poor Democrat, never more so than a couple of months ago.

For chrissake, beat this putz. You can't expect old broken-down farts like us to do it for you. We paid our dues long ago. This is your time and your job.

Besides, you got us into it, and now it could cost us the Senate. The vindicative prick could decide to switch parties because Rove promises to name a carrier after him or some such shit.

Beat Holy Joe. Beat him good.

by stevehigh 2006-10-02 11:07AM | 0 recs