Lieberman Keeps Getting Classier

Update: I see Aldon had this first.

Ok, so this is instructive, so bear with me for a bit while I walk through one particular person who seemed to be spearheading he Lieberman charge at the cheeseburger joint yesterday.  The Record-Journal story pointed out that the main guy harrassing Ned was named Richard Goodstein.

"It was supposed to be a laid-back event and (they) ruined it.""We're just using our right. We're just exercising our rights to enjoy a burger," said Lieber­man supporter Alex Hoffman of Boston. Supporters of each candidate debated outside on the side­walk while many Lieberman supporters continued to badger Lamont, who acknowledged most questions. Richard Good­stein, one of the most vocal Lieberman supporters, repeat­edly shouted, "Are you a Bill Clinton Democrat or an Al Sharpton Democrat?" Lamont calmly said he supported both.

Is this the same Richard Goodstein who gave Lieberman $1500 for his 2004 Presidential run? Because that Goodstein is a lobbyist in DC for the chemical and health supplies industry.

I'm not sure if it's the same guy.  You decide.  Here's a pic from the event.

And here's a pic from Richard Goodstein's bio at the National Home Infusion Assocation's 2nd Annual Legislative Conference.  The NHIA "represents and advances the interests of organizations and individuals that provide infusion and specialized pharmacy products and services to the entire spectrum of home-based patients."

It sure looks to me like Lieberman is bringing up lobbyists from DC to set up ambushes for Ned Lamont.  This continues to feel like a campaign against well-paid three year olds.

Tags: Connecticut, CT-Sen, Joe Lieberman, Ned Lamont (all tags)

Comments

One and the same

Absolutely- he was the same guy who heckled Lorenzo and Sue (myself) in Bridgeport. Aldon - great work.

Busted.

by Sprinkles 2006-08-04 07:22AM | 0 recs
Re: One and the same

Naw, he couldn't be the same guy. See? The guy in the first picture is wearing GLASSES.

hey it works for Clark Kent.

I don't know which is cheesier: Lieberman using this dude or a bunch of underemployed youths who need the money and couldn't care less about the candidate.

by katier 2006-08-04 08:26AM | 0 recs

Incredible.

Is someone telling the press?

(Better still, imagine a world where the press would dig this stuff up rather than having to rely on private citizens to do their work.)

by Go Vegetarian 2006-08-04 07:23AM | 0 recs
Re: Lieberman Keeps Getting Classier

In every meaningful sense of the word, we are the press now.

Some people (TM) will say that we can't be the press, because the press has editors and all that good stuff.

I'm sure that when the United States of America won independence, they said that our government wasn't a real government because it didn't have a king or queen or palaces or courtiers or an official state religion.  Doesn't make it true.

Our new press does things differently, but if the result is that more people are exposed to more facts and fewer falsehoods, I'll take it.

by xebecs 2006-08-04 07:31AM | 0 recs
robble, robble...

Hamburglars!

by Jeffrey Feldman 2006-08-04 07:24AM | 0 recs
Re: Lieberman Keeps Getting Classier

I can't think of a better headline than "Lobbyist is one of the most vocal Lieberman supporters".

by zenbowl 2006-08-04 07:28AM | 0 recs
Re: Lieberman Keeps Getting Classier

Or, "Lieberman Lobbyist Heckles Lamont"

by bruorton 2006-08-04 07:52AM | 0 recs
Re: Lieberman Keeps Getting Classier
If this is how they want to play, why pull punches?
headline: "Lieberman's Dirty Tricks"
by cj51 2006-08-04 08:25AM | 0 recs
Isn't this kind of desperate?
Bringing a DC lobbyist into Connecticut to help ambush a political opponent in a hamburger joint? Desperate ... or pathetic? I can't decide.
by Bearpaw 2006-08-04 07:30AM | 0 recs
Re: Isn't this kind of desperate?

Desperate AND pathetic.  What a group of angry losers.

by Karatist Preacher 2006-08-04 08:22AM | 0 recs
Just goes to show . . .

. . . Joe's base is inside the Beltway, and isn't in Connecticut.

by Adam B 2006-08-04 07:30AM | 0 recs
Re: Lieberman Keeps Getting Classier

I was going to point out that there's a psychiatrist named Richard Goodstein in Milford, CT, but this LA Times story does say that the Lamont-ambushing Goodstein is a lawyer (and 57 years old, if that helps in pinning anything down).

by KCinDC 2006-08-04 07:30AM | 0 recs
Re: Lieberman Keeps Getting Classier

"Lieberman supporter Alex Hoffman of Boston"

Yeah, I can't wait to see which way Boston votes in next Tuesday's Connecticut primary. Could be decisive.

by Cole Moore Odell 2006-08-04 07:33AM | 0 recs
I'm from Boston

And will be in CT volunteering for Ned.

And, as a bonus, doing my best not to be an asshole.

by Go Vegetarian 2006-08-04 08:02AM | 0 recs
Re: I'm from Boston

Fair enough. Obviously, this election has national implications, and many people from other states have thrown in on both sides. But at this point, it would seem a little better for Joe if his vocal supporters being quoted in the local papers weren't coming from MA and DC, but from CT.

by Cole Moore Odell 2006-08-04 08:18AM | 0 recs
Re: Lieberman Keeps Getting Classier

I can't find an Alex Hoffman of Boston from Google - maybe someone else is a better HamGoogler than I am.

by Sprinkles 2006-08-04 07:37AM | 0 recs
heh...'HamGoogler'

robble, robble...

by Jeffrey Feldman 2006-08-04 07:40AM | 0 recs
Re: Lieberman Keeps Getting Classier

At this very second, Lieberman's sitting in his bus, trying to figure out how he's not going to lose his precious Senate seat.

And there's a huge paper mache float of him kissing the president driving right behind him.

It's not often that Democracy can be so great.

by ignu 2006-08-04 07:43AM | 0 recs

Prrrressssciousssss.

by Hesiod Theogeny 2006-08-04 08:03AM | 0 recs
Re: Lieberman Keeps Getting Classier

Is this the same Richard Goostein who used to be a GORE campaign advisor?

by Hesiod Theogeny 2006-08-04 07:58AM | 0 recs

Ummm...from his bio:

"Mr. Goodstein also appears regularly on the Fox News Channel, MSNBC, and other TV networks to offer political and legal analysis."

Yup. That's him. His favorite Fox venue is Hannity and Colmes.

by Hesiod Theogeny 2006-08-04 08:02AM | 0 recs
Re: Lieberman Keeps Getting Classier

I can't wait to see what Jane and ReddHedd think of this!

by Phoenix Woman 2006-08-04 09:02AM | 0 recs
Re: Lieberman Keeps Getting Classier
If Lieberman supporters bring up the Stoller float as a counterexample to justify this crap, here is a response
"All the more radical acts of protest were not done by paid Lamont supporters whereas this was an organized Lieberman campaign thing."
"Regardless, Lamont's supporters never prevented Lieberman from answering a question."
"Lamont has never prohibited Lieberman supporters from attending his events. And yet, he still tried to answer the questions by his opponents who were clearly not interested in his responses"
"Lieberman has not even answered tough questions from ordinary citizens and his people have openly barred Lamont supporters from attending his event even though they have not shouted down Lieberman"
by Pravin 2006-08-04 08:02AM | 0 recs

Craaazyyyy!

by Reece 2006-08-04 08:27AM | 0 recs
Re: Lieberman Keeps Getting Classier

A FOX NEWSIE! NOW THATS A GOOD DEMOCRAT!

DOUCHE!

by TimO 2006-08-04 08:35AM | 0 recs
Re: Lieberman Keeps Getting Classier
Looks like he's been a shill before.

This is from a deposition of a guy named Lenny Davis, who worked in the Clinton White House. (You can get the full depo here, and do a "find" for "Rich Goodstein":

Q: From the time you were in the White House and thereafter, are you aware of materials ever having been sent to persons other than yourself from the White House on matters relating to the Clinton controversies?

MS. SHAPIRO: Objection, vague.

MR. MILLS: Objection, relevance.

THE WITNESS: Since my departure from the White House?

Q: During and after your departure. Let's start during?

A: Repeat the question. During?

Q: During the time you worked for the White House, were you aware of materials being sent to persons outside of the White House who from time to time would do media appearances taking positions favorable to the White House?

A: Yes.

Q: Who were they?

A: Specific individuals?

Q: Yes.

A: Who received the materials?

Q: Yes.

A: Michael Zelden, Rich Goodstein, Stan Gildenhorn. That is all I can specifically remember. There may have been others.

[Emphasis added; editted for clarity's sake]
by Ken Ashford 2006-08-04 08:36AM | 0 recs
Re: Lieberman Keeps Getting Classier
Ooops. That was the depo of Lanny Davis, advisor to Bill Clinton.
by Ken Ashford 2006-08-04 08:40AM | 0 recs
Re: Lieberman Keeps Getting Classier

nice work busting this guy!!

i hope hope hope this makes the news.

by island empire 2006-08-04 08:46AM | 0 recs
Re: Lieberman Keeps Getting Classier

i hate to be a wet blanket, but if this guy really is a connecticut resident, you gotta remember that pfizer is a big employer in southeastern ct. support for the pharmaceutical industry isn't just a dc lobbying issue, it's also a bread and butter issue down in my corner of the state.

that's not to say that what this guy did is in any way acceptable, it's not. it was completely classless. but remember that old adage about all politics being local...

and just for the record, i'm a lamont fan. please don't flame me...!

by soodi 2006-08-04 08:40AM | 0 recs
Re: Lieberman Keeps Getting Classier
His bio says he is a "Washington lawyer", and it's clear that he has spent most of his career in D.C. Doesn't mean he's not a Connecticut resident, but he's if he is, he's doing a Tom Delay.
by Ken Ashford 2006-08-04 08:48AM | 0 recs
Re: Lieberman Keeps Getting Classier

don't worry, he appears to be a resident of PA.

by SansDoute 2006-08-04 07:17PM | 0 recs
Re: Lieberman Keeps Getting Classier

I've lurked for a long time here but this story compelled me to post my first comment. Joe should be ashamed of himself. It's dirty tricks like this that's pushing him out of CT. I live in NJ and have donated to Ned's campaign a few months back and today I donated again just because of this.

Joe's really desperate and desperate aint pretty.

by Miss Tessmacher 2006-08-04 08:52AM | 0 recs

Good catch!

by Phoenix Woman 2006-08-04 09:01AM | 0 recs
Lieberman - lobbyist

Here's what a Google search on 'Richard Goodstein' turns up:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=na vclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2 005-52,GGLG:en&q=richard+goodstein

Here is his lobbyist disclosure form with the US House of Representatives:

http://lobbyingdisclosure.house.gov/hous e_id.html?reg_id=34298

by global yokel 2006-08-04 09:09AM | 0 recs
Re: Lieberman Keeps Getting Classier

If indeed the Richard Goodstein that Matt identifies harassing Ned Lamont at a Connecticut diner is the same person who is the well paid and apparently successful national lobbyist, then it raises an interesting question:

What is a guy like that doing messing around with a bunch of kids who have nothing better to do than bother Lamont and make asses of themselves?

Maybe Goodstein's corporate clients would be interested to know what their boy is doing when he isn't shilling for them-

AIR PRODUCTS AND CHEMICALS, INC.
AIR PRODUCTS HEALTHCARE
AMERICAN HOMECARE SUPPLY
LEXMARK INTERNATIONAL, INC

by global yokel 2006-08-04 09:16AM | 0 recs
Re: Lieberman Keeps Getting Classier

They might be proud of his support for Joe.  Just really charming behavior - I hope the campaign calls Lieberman on this one.

by Joe Scordato 2006-08-04 09:28AM | 0 recs
Re: Lieberman Keeps Getting Classier

QWEST is also a client.  Take a look at one of the links posted in the blog entitled "Bye, Bye" by someone calling themselves "caelum".  It's in the Lamont website.

by SansDoute 2006-08-04 07:20PM | 0 recs
Re: Lieberman Keeps Getting Classier

Funny that they picked white as the color for their T-shirts. One would think for this kind of work they would want brown. It would be interesting to learn who on the Lieberman campaing dreamed this operation up.

by CalD 2006-08-04 11:34AM | 0 recs
the lobbyist admits to greg sergent he is the guy

tmp cafe (en toto, and dorothy, too):

i just reached d.c. lobbyist richard goodstein on his cellphone. goodstein the lobbyist confirmed that he is indeed the guy on the front-page of today's record-journal who appeared to be heckling lamont in a diner.

as noted below, one of the stories of the day in connecticut is how supporters of joe lieberman ambushed ned lamont in a connecticut diner.

as the record-journal reported, a man named richard goodstein shouted at lamont: "are you a bill clinton democrat, or an al sharpton democrat?" several blogs have since speculated that goodstein is a corporate lobbyist in d.c.

well, election central just reached out to the office of registered-d.c.-lobbyist richard goodstein, got his cell number, and reached him. when i asked him if he was a lieberman supporter and was the man in the pic on the front of the herald-record, he confirmed that, yes, he was a lieberman backer and that he was the same man as pictured on the paper's front page. then the conversation went south.

by skippy 2006-08-04 12:40PM | 0 recs
Re: the lobbyist admits

whoops!  not en toto, there's more to the story, go read it.

by skippy 2006-08-04 12:52PM | 0 recs
Re: Lieberman Keeps Getting Classier

according to lobbyinginfo.org, Goodstein is a former aide to Sen. Abraham Ribicoff (D-Conn.)

by ethanc 2006-08-04 01:18PM | 0 recs
Re: Lieberman Keeps Getting Classier

Excellent job busting Goodstien. The second I saw the reports of the Liebersheisters harassing Lamont on campaign stops, I immediately suspected these were in fact the college Republicans at work, since we knew they were headed that way to try and bolster  Holy Joe's campaign. I was hoping someone would come along and start identifying these creeps. This info needs to go out to every outlet reporting on these disruptions. And if anyone has the means, keep trying to ID the rest of these interlopers. I'll bet real money they are CRs. People need to know and not fall for Joe's version of the Yuppie Revolt.

by Helzapoppin 2006-08-04 01:59PM | 0 recs
Re: Lieberman Keeps Getting Classier

A Letter to editor sent to me by a family in Noank, proving once again, Joe and his supporters are anything BUT class:

Dear Editor:

This morning, in the parking garage at Bradley International Airport, my twelve year-old daughter and I were placing luggage in my vehicle when a man came out of the shadows and started yelling pro-Lieberman epitaphs at us.  I looked around to see if we were alone with this rather large male.  Thankfully, I saw a woman across the garage who had heard the man yell and was observing from afar.  I have a Lamont bumper sticker on my car, and, I was moving a Lamont lawn-sign from my back seat to the trunk at the time of the incident.  I was shaken and so was my daughter.  But, I thought of Thomas Jefferson.  I thought of the fact that the Princeton Republicans--funded by Lieberman's campaign-- as we speak, are being bussed in to CT, in order to canvass for Lieberman, at this crucial time before the Democratic Primary.  I looked at my daughter, in whose searching eyes I saw the budding future of patriotism and democracy, and I calmly (if shakily), responded that I was voting for Mr. Lamont because he is a Democrat.  I'm voting for Mr. Lamont because I want my daughters to have a chance at the American Dream; not to spend their life in servitude to the top 1%.

by Bergs 2006-08-04 03:42PM | 0 recs