Young People Should Respect their Elder Liars

I didn't want to just let this article from Richard Morin titled 'Jon Stewart, Enemy of Democracy' (or 'Comedy Poisoning Democracy') go unanswered (via Alternet).  Here's Morin's argument.

This is not funny: Jon Stewart and his hit Comedy Central cable show may be poisoning democracy.

Two political scientists found that young people who watch Stewart's faux news program, "The Daily Show," develop cynical views about politics and politicians that could lead them to just say no to voting.

That's particularly dismaying news because the show is hugely popular among college students, many of whom already don't bother to cast ballots.

Jody Baumgartner and Jonathan S. Morris of East Carolina University said previous research found that nearly half -- 48 percent -- of this age group watched "The Daily Show" and only 23 percent of show viewers followed "hard news" programs closely.

To test for a "Daily Effect," Baumgartner and Morris showed video clips of coverage of the 2004 presidential candidates to one group of college students and campaign coverage from "The CBS Evening News" to another group. Then they measured the students' attitudes toward politics, President Bush and the Democratic presidential nominee, Sen. John F. Kerry (Mass.).

The results showed that the participants rated both candidates more negatively after watching Stewart's program. Participants also expressed less trust in the electoral system and more cynical views of the news media, according to the researchers' article, in the latest issue of American Politics Research.

"Ultimately, negative perceptions of candidates could have participation implications by keeping more youth from the polls," they wrote.

Ugh, there are so many bad leaps of logic here.

First of all, the problem with the testing Morin cites is that it assumes that 'hard news' programs are truthful, that politicians are honorable, and that journalists are honest and helpful to public discourse.  If none of those conditions are accurate, then what the 'Daily effect' really shows is that Jon Stewart is able to accurately describe our political world to young people.  And in fact, Daily Show viewers not only have more negative feelings about the political system, but they are better informed than 'hard news' viewers.  And that sounds about right; things aren't great, the political system took the country to war that is nearly universally acknowledged as a horrific mistake, and 2004 presented us with two wildly unappealing old white men as candidates, so why is it good for citizens to 'feel' good about the political system?  How is that a test of civic virtue instead of simple delusion?

Morin and the researchers go on to bite their nails about what this negative attitude might mean for voting.  Only, young people voted in record numbers in 2004 (and I believe 2005 in NJ and VA as well, though I don't have those numbers handy), when many of them were getting their news from the Daily Show.  Some Daily effect.

Ok, so let's be clear with what Morin is fretting about.  He thinks that the Daily Show doesn't make younger viewers feel good enough about politicians and media figures.  It's not enough that Daily Show viewers are better informed than any other media consumer, that young people voted in record numbers, that, and that the choice in 2004 for President presented young people with two wildly unappealing old white men.  No, it's all about young people not feeling good enough about the people who routinely lie to them.

Young people have very negative feelings about politics, and rightfully so.  And they're voting anyway.  That's amazing.  I suppose what Morin doesn't like is that the Daily Show punctures the media's sense of self-importance (of which Morin displays an amply large amount), and that young people are watching Stewart instead of reading Morin.

Big surprise there.

Tags: Richard Morin (all tags)

Comments

Re: Richard Morin: Young People Should Respect the

Damn right Stoller.  I head up the Young Dems and still get cynical about politics and the way some politicians act, and with the way some of them have in recent years, I have every right to.

That does NOT mean I don't vote.  I do.  So do my peers, even with the choices that are out there.  That is why I also thank the young people jumping into the ring to run as candidates on a state level like Kristen Hedger and Mark Strama or a national level like Scott Kleeb.

Our generation deeply cares about our government and the role of politics in our lives.  We simply do things/organize differently and get our news in different ways, and than god, because we can't much more of the same.

From my viewpoint, the only way we will systematically change things for the better--both in terms of our Party and the way the media views young people's role in politics--is to build a powerful and reliable voting bloc.

As for the WaPo article, come on reporters.  You are a main stream media outlet and all you can do is blame young people and call them cynical.  That is so 1990.

by janefleming 2006-06-23 07:16PM | 0 recs
by maladiaz 2007-02-28 03:09AM | 0 recs
Re: Richard Morin: Young People Should Respect the

While many of the professors (though not the administrators) of the high profile universities are liberal, many of the less fancy (and a few of the fancy) colleges and universities are infested with a lot of these neofascist professors. This has been the case for a while now. Some of them are merely conservative, but many are outright neofascists. In effect, this makes much of the academic system merely another appendage to the Media Financial Complex.

It is up to parents to teach young people the meaning of real freedom and real democracy. These are the high values, and they are nothing like the junk values about flag worship and ostentatious religious self-righteousness, etc.

by blues 2006-06-23 07:25PM | 0 recs
Neofascist?

Neofascist professors?  What a load of uninformed hyperbole.

Do you have any familiarity with the 2 authors of the study?  Have you met them?  Read the study all the way through?  Even Googled their CVs?  Didn't think so.  (And I won't even belabor the absurdity of attributing the findings of a peer-reviewed empirical study to the pernicious ideological agenda of its authors.)

There's a vibrant debate in the field of political communication studies about the effects of "soft news" on the electorate.  Most of it seems to indicate that soft news is actually beneficial (so much for rampant neofascism) -- but this particular experimental study raises some minor cautions about potentially negative effects.  Read it, critique their methodology if you wish, take issue with the apparent implications -- but nasty ad hominem attacks like that are beneath this side of the blogosphere.

by Cold Cardinal 2006-06-24 10:21AM | 0 recs
I think you'll find he's joking

Looks to me like standard filler: the journo trolls for quirky academic articles and endows them with marginally plausible gee whiz straplines for the purpose of light relief.

Look at the first graf in the next item: Are Republicans stingy but principled while Democrats are generous but racist?

That's not going to make it onto A1, is it? In a Milbank funny, possibly. But unlikely even on the op-ed page (home of pointless bloviation).

Yet Matt goes after it like Brent Bozell after a televised nipple!

Dude - it's the end of the week - time to chill...

by skeptic06 2006-06-23 07:28PM | 0 recs
Re: I think you'll find he's joking

Point me to a joke in there, skepty.

by Matt Stoller 2006-06-23 08:02PM | 0 recs
Re: I think you'll find he's joking

Now, bear in mind, I know nothing about this guy Morin except this piece.

But I'm looking for tone and style, vocabulary, subject matter.

I see piece written (albeit for A2) in a laid-back style - no inverted pyramid this! - appropriate to a diary piece, magazine-y in tone.

The fact there are three topics in the one piece supports that as the genre.

Then, look at the hed: copy editors don't always avoid travestying the piece the write the hed for, but I think that, in this case, it's fair.

Obviously, no one thinks that Jon Stewart is the Enemy of Democracy - the disjunct is humorous. It sets expectations of levity for the piece itself which are not disappointed.

(Bear in mind, by the way, that this is a piece about a self-confessed faux anchor. Adopting a dour and moralistic tone for comedic purposes would be a clever piece of meta that no doubt the sophisticates at the Post would relish.)

And that lede:

That is a comedy lede: it's mock-stern, like Stewart does on the show, when Cheney shot the guy, for instance.

The tone is consistent throughout.

(I mentioned the first graf of the second mini-story under the sub-hed Miserly Republicans, Unprincipled Democrats.

Again, that is the opposite of straight. Now, would the Post call the GOP miserly if they didn't think that they could explain it away as being in jest?)

If it wasn't the middle of the night already, I might check his back-catalogue. My guess is that this is his shtick. And the tone and sorts of subjects will stay more or less in the same vein.

Even if it wasn't - even if the piece was a deadly serious hit piece on a much-loved lefty icon, it's beyond me how anyone on this side of the aisle would want to show it had any effect.

But - like I said, it's a joke. Or humor, at least. No laughter track. More in the Mark Twain line.

Only - nowhere as good, natch...

by skeptic06 2006-06-23 08:57PM | 0 recs
Morin's not joking

Morin's as serious as a stroke.  I've been reading him for the many years he's been the WaPo's poll guy, and while he may slip in a humorous line or two, he's not writing satirically; his message is exactly what it appears to be.

And yeah, he's a pompous ass.  "Impeachment?  Why would we want to poll about impeachment?"  Fortunately, other people (thanks, Matt, Chris & Co.) can commission polls too.  Morin's not as much of a gatekeeper as he used to be.

by RT 2006-06-24 06:58AM | 0 recs
Morin works two beats

Now I've had a chance to sample his recent work, it seems to me that, much like Dana Milbank, he writes in two different veins.

Here, we see him writing straight answers to webchat questions on a poll he was responsible for commissioning.

The tone is serious, not arch or quizzical, the questions dealt with on their merits. (His co-bylined piece on the same poll adopts the same serious tone and, though not an inverted pyramid, is clearly a news piece deserving of the front page treatment it apparently got.)

His A2 column (seems it's a regular thing) is completely different.

Compare his columns from June 6, June 9 and June 15.

They all take a similar form: Morin takes three or four academic studies, usually in the social sciences field, which report counterintuitive, quirky or otherwise odd results.

He gives four or five grafs to each, and ends the piece with references and a short, straight, description of each study.

The heds and subheds are all of a humorous nature - note the contrast with the heds his serious polling pieces are given.

These pieces aren't Marx Brothers or Monty Python, mind you; no pratfalls or one-liners.

But they're clearly meant to entertain as much as enlighten.

The Jon Stewart grafs were, perhaps, jokier than most - they were, after all, dealing with a comedian. But it would be the height of perversity to read them as in some way a hit piece on Stewart, or TDS, or lefties, or whomsoever you might think it was a hit piece against.

My concern in making so much of this is, one, it seems to me a patent distraction and waste of time, and, two, it tends to shed doubt on Matt's and others' reading of other, rather more important, texts.

Now, as with Milbank, you may say a journo shouldn't work two beats. He should either be op-ed and as off-the-wall as he likes, or be a news guy, and play it completely straight.

That's a rather different question, though.

by skeptic06 2006-06-24 08:36AM | 0 recs
Re: Young People Should Respect their Elder Liars

Why are you justifying this with a response? I don't get it. You and others seem so smart politically- and savvy. And then every idiot manipulation by the right (or whatever this cat is) solicts a response by you that actually tries to argue a position like they are saying this shit to really win an argument. They are saying it to throw whatever they can against the wall to see what shit sticks.

by bruh21 2006-06-23 07:33PM | 0 recs
Re: Young People Should Respect their Elder Liars

Of course, Matt could just be teasing, writing a po-faced piece of tightly corseted mock-outrage just to fool us into taking his mock-outrage seriously.

(As anyone reasonably familiar with his oeuvre might well be tempted to do.)

It is just possible.

A kind of Stephen Colbert characterization, but on the left...

by skeptic06 2006-06-23 07:43PM | 0 recs
Re: Young People Should Respect their Elder Liars

Why are you justifying this with a response? I don't get it.

Truth matters, and Morin was inaccurate.  It is important to discredit his work lest it become political wisdom and a tactical roadmap for mainstream Democrats.

by Matt Stoller 2006-06-23 08:01PM | 0 recs

See reply above.

Some thought really needs to be given in the lefty sphere about whether the time spent and blood pressure raised on rebutting every last slight to the amour-propre of lefties in general, and lefty bloggers in particular, might better be spent on other matters.

(Like what the Dems are going to do with control of Congress if they get it, for instance.)

Kerry not nailing the Swifties as liars was bad.

Kerry not laying on a full court press on the Swiss cheese cheesesteak issue - not so much.

Do you think Stewart is worried? Of course not - he'll work it into his show, if he hasn't done so already!

by skeptic06 2006-06-23 09:07PM | 0 recs
Re: Young People Should Respect their Elder Liars

Yes, the truth matters, but as skeptic points out the real issue is why are you wasting value time on this shit? As my law professor used to say to me "pick your battles." The need to defend against every idiotic statement is a sign of weakness, not strength. You end up wasting your reserves of energy on causes that don't matter. I remember over at Ezra Pound's site they were debating some idiotic comment by J Goldberg in which he questioned whether Gore had spent a summer in France or something. Rather than just a sentence  diary "J Goldberg is a liar so who cares" they lost it by trying to defend each point. The point- I think you are trying to make- is about perception right? You lose the perception war by doing what you are doing. Your brothers a screenwriter or something right? Or you at least had a Diary I think about hollywood. If you know anyone who writes fictional narratives, Ask him or her about the art of telling a narrative. Stories are as much about what you leave out as what you leave in. I see this as where a seachanges needs to happen on the left (not only with the old guard but also with the new).

by bruh21 2006-06-24 05:56AM | 0 recs
Re: Young People Should Respect their Elder Liars

When the main pollster for the Washington Post dishonestly attacks young people and a consistent pattern of right-wing hackery, I am going to respond.  I am 28, and I am going to defend myself against lies.  It's that simple.

Maybe you should think about picking your battles.

by Matt Stoller 2006-06-24 06:06AM | 0 recs
Damn straight

In blogging, the best post to write is the one that's in your head right now.  It'll just flow off your fingertips and onto the page.

That seems to me to be a pretty good way of picking your battles.  No need to dig around for a Serious Issue; there'll be more than enough moments when that's what you want to blog about anyway.  (Plenty of posts by you guys on Net Neutrality, for instance, and that's a very serious issue indeed.)

Besides, it'll still be awhile before something new supplants the mainstream media; in the meantime, cudgeling them into doing their job properly is a battle worth fighting.

by RT 2006-06-24 07:05AM | 0 recs
Re: Young People Should Respect their Elder Liars

good luck with that- at 28 defending yourself against every idiot makes sense- by 35- you learn to just call them an idiot and move on

by bruh21 2006-06-24 07:21AM | 0 recs
My reply on this...

...upthread.

by skeptic06 2006-06-24 08:38AM | 0 recs
Re: Young People Should Respect their Elder Liars

I agree with you, but I do think that the Daily Show feeds into a certain self-defeating narrative that young people find appealing. It's much easier to simply decide that politics is twisted than to get involved and change something.

I love Stewart and I love the show, but sometimes I wonder if everyone's in on the joke. Deep down, the show pokes fun because politics do matter. I worry that some young people just laugh at that crazy politics stuff and then get back to their beer bongs.

by bluenc 2006-06-23 08:54PM | 0 recs
Re: Young People Should Respect their Elder Liars

Of course, Stewart, in public at least, isn't much of a partisan Dem.

I remember there was a C&L clip of him on Larry King, and, after he'd ripped the regime, he was slipped a softball for his thoughts on Dem honchos.

He said he'd liked that Jack Kennedy; since then, not so much.

The regime gets it most because it's the regime. Let Nancy take charge of the House, though - the way he pissed on those Conyers Downing Street Memo hearings is some indication of the heat she'd be getting.

Or perhaps not.

by skeptic06 2006-06-23 09:16PM | 0 recs
Re: Young People Should Respect their Elder Liars

Possibly true.  I'm mixed on Stewart, as I don't think his comedy is particularly honest anymore.

But Morin's attack was on youth, and that's what I was rebutting.

by Matt Stoller 2006-06-24 06:05AM | 0 recs
Re: Young People Should Respect their Elder Liars

So well put! Thanks! I was ga-nashing teeth when I read his horrid prissy column, trying to think of what I could write to him in response. You did it for me - thanks - with wit and cool. Now copy it to his contact number and sleep well.

by mrobinsong 2006-06-23 09:31PM | 0 recs
Re: Young People Should Respect their Elder Liars

We need to confront the truth that Jon Stewart is secretly a rich banker who single-handedly invented the WMD notion, and the Iraq attack.

I have been saying publicly for some time now that universities are destroying democracy. That generates an amazing response, which you would not believe unless you saw it. I said this at a Town Council meeting where there was a whole troop of boy scouts. The only people who cannot handle it turn out to be the very wealthy ones. The rest just start asking questions. If you merely push people a bit further than they have ever been pushed before, they sort of wake up and ask real questions. These neocon trolls are incredibly lazy. How hard can it be for a few crazy professors to come up with "Jon Stewart is poisoning democracy"? It is not that difficult to be just a bit edgyer than they are.

There are two kinds of people in the world. (Yeah, only two.) Some hand out stupid fuzzballs and tell lazy people that they are big ideas. Some try to get people to really ask questions. Jon Stewart is not into passing out fuzzballs. Before he came along, the idea of voting seemed about on a par with visiting a sausage factory to most young people.

by blues 2006-06-23 10:13PM | 0 recs
Re: Young People Should Respect their Elder Liars

Islamic Fundamentalists Don't Get Satire Either.

by maeve 2006-06-23 10:54PM | 0 recs
Re: Young People Should Respect their Elder Liars

Now this is more interesting than some folks seem to think. I can stumble into a room of 100% pure Christian Fundamentalists and initiate a deep, serious discussion of reincarnation. Probably few will believe this. First of all, there is absolutely nothing in the foundations of Christian Fundamentalism (except for very, very ancient prototypical notions from India that Jesus (the most parochial character in history!) somehow erected on the platform of the Old Testament). Yet it happens. They will actually explore reincarnation.

I have spent time with Black Muslims, who insisted that the "white man" was the source of all evil, and they were about as fundamentalist as you could get. (I am a white guy.) Alright, open up that Koran. Nothing could be clearer than the fact that that particular holy book absolutely forbids racism. So you have these ramrod straight Black Muslims who actually know about this contradiction at the very heart of everything they do. And in the right context, they come around with you to where they can actually chuckle about it.

Human being seem to be about contradictions. Within those contradictions, there are doors. And those doors are definitely not just there for show. The world is always one step ahead of what I think it is, and that gives me a reason to keep walking further.

by blues 2006-06-23 11:26PM | 0 recs
Re: Young People Should Respect their Elder Liars

context:  Morin is the guy whose response to people asking him about his apparent double standard with regard to polling about impeachment was simply to say that he was getting angry.  He's a hack.

Morin subscribes to the "feel-good" fallacy, that it's important to feel good about the government regardless of whether it is doing its job properly.

Consider this:

Um, DUH!  So the solution to a "negative perception" problem is to limit the information that the voter gets?  Or would another possibility be to get better candidates!

Also, this column seems to be an opportunity simply for him to use this quote:

I wouldn't put it quite so starkly," said Stanford University professor Shanto Iyengar. He would prefer to call Democrats "less principled" rather than bigoted, based on his analysis of data collected in a recent online experiment that he conducted with The Washington Post and washingtonpost.com.

What a wsate of time!  How about polling about impeachment?  When's that poll coming?  Or the censure poll?  The column seems to be simply an opportunity to smear Democrats as "unprincipled".

by RickD 2006-06-23 11:55PM | 0 recs
Re: Young People Should Respect their Elder Liars

I repeat......NEVER take comedy seriously.

by Sitkah 2006-06-24 12:18AM | 0 recs
Re: Young People Should Respect their Elder Liars

I'm relieved to see that the left is finally, finally admitting that John Kerry is wildly unappealing. Any other truths y'all want to tell? Confession is good for the soul.

by American Hawk 2006-06-24 05:54AM | 0 recs
Re: Young People Should Respect their Elder Liars

Kerry is to boring as Bush is to buffons.

by bruh21 2006-06-24 05:59AM | 0 recs
Re: Young People Should Respect their Elder Liars

I'll take boring any day of the week.  It was commonly stated that Bush won because "He'd be more fun to have a beer with".  I don't want to have a beer with the president.  That's what friends are for.  I'd rather have a president who can read, gather information from multiple sources, and use it wisely to make decisions.  In my experience, the person who is most fun to have a beer with is a few bricks short of a load, makes colorful and sometimes ignorant comments, and gets dumber with each beer.  There aren't many of my better beer buddies that I would like running the country.  Just look at where the "beer buddy in chief" has taken our country.

by joetalarico 2006-06-24 07:36AM | 0 recs
Re: Young People Should Respect their Elder Liars

I dissected this article today and compared it to data from the Census Bureau on voter turnout. If Stewart is "hurting democracy" then how come the 18-24 age group is having an increase in turnout? You can view my data here:

http://www.intoxination.net/2006/06/24/j on-stewart-helping-democracy/

Jamie

by hovercrafter 2006-06-24 06:05AM | 0 recs
Re: Young People Should Respect their Elder Liars

I agree with Matt. Truth counts. You challenge it when your gut tells you this can't stand.

But what I find ironic about this whole thing is that this is the same Richard Morin who refuses to poll on whether or not Americans supported impeachment. Because he said impeachment wasn't a serious public issue except for among left-wing whack jobs on the Internet.

But polling on whether Jon Stewwart is good or bad for young people and democracy---that's seems to obvious to him!?!? Start polling immediately!

During that last go-around on Morin and Impeachment, people said that Morin was a conservative who had viritual little right-wing shrines around his house. Don't know what they were. Maybe Grover Norquist pin-up posters. W. with his cod-piece.

And this is the guy who's polling on Jon Stewart as a threat to democracy?!?

I feel like Lily Tomlin. I try to stay cynical, but I can't keep up with these people.

by midwestmeg 2006-06-24 06:52AM | 0 recs
Re: Young People Should Respect their Elder Liars

I couldn't agree more.  I'm sure others have posted that but I want to add my voice.  Everything in this post is right.

Furthermore I don't want people to feel good about politics.  That only helps corrupt incumbents stay in office forever while apathetic voters return them to office without thought.

I want people to be passionate about politics.  I want them to care what happens to their neighbors and their communities and their nation.  I want them more involved.

I even want people to be angry about politics.  Every cycle.  It's a rare state indeed where the schools are prefectly run, the transit and roads perfectly planned, the health care good and cheap and universal, and the foreign imperialist adventures promptly withdrawn from.  Tell them the truth and maybe they will be upset.  That's the best thing this study could tell us.

by ChetEdModerate 2006-06-24 08:00AM | 0 recs
Re: Young People Should Respect their Elder Liars

The young people in our Legislative District meeting ran for and won the majority of the offices. Attendance is way up, so is voting, and more young people are involved at the precint level. They spend Saturdays cleaning up neighborhoods and elder's yards wearing Dem T-shirts. They organize information days on alternative energy solutions, immigration, or voting issues. They inspire and work work work. Go to your local Democratic Party meeting or headquarters and you'll see young people as field organizers and volunteer coordinators. If you are young and your activism happens at the computer, you are missing out on your generation's democracy movement. With kindness, from a 1960's radical.

by mrobinsong 2006-06-24 09:13AM | 0 recs
Re: Young People Should Respect their Elder Liars
Matt - Your take on this is excellent with regard to Morin's epic density and inability to analyse the simplest data. But I just have to weigh in on this:

You're unfairly sweeping up the researchers with your broad broom. Morin mischaracterized their findings and selectively excerpted them. Here is what they ACTUALLY said:
"Daily Show viewers, primarily young adults in their late teens and early 20s, tend to trust their own knowledge of politics." And that, "...whether it's a good thing or a bad thing, we don't know." But that, "As "Daily Show" viewers grow more confident in political knowledge...they could become more active voters...'Participation breeds more participation and informed participation' he said. 'So that by itself would be a net positive.'"

The researchers never made the conclusions that Morin claims. They speculated several "effects" including increasing viewers voting behavior.
by News Corpse 2006-06-24 11:33AM | 0 recs
Re: Young People Should Respect their Elder Liars
  The only enemies of democracy are those who pound their chests the hardest in the public arena about freedom and democracy...
  Let's take for example, Kenneth Blackwell, Republican candidate for governor in Ohio this year, current Secretary of State and in 2004,  and former co-chair of the Bush campaign in Ohio did the following for young people in 2004...
  Students at Kenyon College in Gambier, OH, a liberal arts college, stood in line to vote for an average of 13 hours; there were not enough voting machines.
  Not far away at the Nazarene College, known to be a fundamentalist Christian college in Mt. Vernon, OH --- there was no wait to vote.
  Which would make you more cynical about democracy -- Jon Stewart or the voting mess in Ohio in 2004?
by imagine 2006-06-24 11:47AM | 0 recs
Re: Young People Should Respect their Elder Liars

4 hour waits for college students in Indiana.  It was more of a nationwide GOP strategy than you might think.  Then there was the GOP dirty trickster who was phone jamming so people couldn't get rides to the NH polls.

by bakho 2006-06-24 06:48PM | 0 recs
Re: Young People Should Respect their Elder Liars

What's dangerous isn't Jon Stewart, it's people like this Morin for reporting a half completed study.  It only makes sense to be concerned about Jon Stewart's influence if his viewers ACTUALLY VOTE LESS than they did before they watched the show, or than others their age.  The study doesn't mention anything about this kind of follow up.

That makes the whole thing about Stewart's influence on voting speculation, which makes it irresponsible.

Carolyn Kay
MakeThemAccountable.com

by Caro 2006-06-24 11:50AM | 0 recs
Re: Young People Should Respect their Elder Liars

Hey, if you are an out of state student we don't want you to vote!!   How is that for a message?

IN just passed a law that you need an in-state ID in order to vote.  Universitiy issued IDs are not approved (you would need an IN drivers license instead). Many GOP states are thowing up obstacles to voting.  And he worries about TV?  What a wanker!

by bakho 2006-06-24 06:45PM | 0 recs
Re: Young People Should Respect their Elder Liars

Young people who tune in to the Daily show are more engaged and a little bit of humor mixed with some honesty is exactly what they are looking for.  And not just from their TV if any of you presidential hopefulls are able and willing.

The latest poll on college students from 4 year colleges (not the whole young voter population by any means) is now giving Dems a 26 point advantage (46-20).  Plus their big and progressive turnout might be one reason why local and statewide republicans are doing so much to stop them from voting.

Check out the poll at http://www.panettainstitute.org/lib/06/H art_Survey_Report0613.pdf

by Young Voter PAC 2006-06-27 11:40AM | 0 recs
Re: Young People Should Respect their Elder Liars
Indeed the truth matters. We need to defend our self against every idiotic statement. If we'll won't,  we became weak.
___________