And the Heat Win the NBA Championship

I grew up in Miami, and I'm a Heat fan.  Supercool.  It was also a really great game.

Open thread time...

Tags: Miami Heat (all tags)

Comments

Re: And the Heat Win the NBA Championship

Thank you for your wonderful and informed diaries on Obama, Matt.  By the way, I grew up in Nassau, Bahamas.  But I am not a Miami Heat fan.

by illinois062006 2006-06-20 08:14PM | 0 recs
Re: And the Heat Win the NBA Championship

2nd championship for Florida.  Florida Gators and now Miami Heat.

by mleflo2 2006-06-20 08:20PM | 0 recs
Re: And the Heat Win the NBA Championship

College football is where Florida really shines.  FSU, Florida, and Miami...

by Matt Stoller 2006-06-20 08:20PM | 0 recs
Re: And the Heat Win the NBA Championship

I thought the Marlins have won two WS championships, no?

by jgarcia 2006-06-20 08:23PM | 0 recs
Re: And the Heat Win the NBA Championship

correct. 97&03. vs braves/yankees.

by b1oody8romance7 2006-06-20 08:30PM | 0 recs

that would be indians/yankees

by AntiCliche 2006-06-20 08:39PM | 0 recs

oopsie. brain fart.

by b1oody8romance7 2006-06-21 08:43AM | 0 recs

w00tw00tw00t. miami pwns.

by b1oody8romance7 2006-06-20 08:30PM | 0 recs
Flip Flops

This is from the article cited in the minimum wage diary still in the column on the left margin of the screen:

U.S. Representative David Obey of Wisconsin, the ranking Democrat on the House Appropriations Committee and a co-sponsor of today's amendment, will keep trying to "attach the minimum wage amendment to any bill he can get his hands on," said Kirstin Brost, a spokeswoman for Democrats on the committee.

The committee had approved the same measure just last week by a vote of 32 to 27. The measure was shelved by Hastert, and the reintroduction of the amendment today received fewer votes of support among committee members.

Five Republicans voted against the provision today after voting for it last week. They include Representatives Ray LaHood of Illinois; Don Sherwood of Pennsylvania; Michael Simpson of Idaho; James Walsh of New York; and Bill Young of Florida, according to Brost. Two Republicans who supported the wage measure last week -- John Sweeney of New York and Jo Ann Emerson of Missouri -- left the room during voting today, Brost said.

Now how do we use this information to our advantage?

by illinois062006 2006-06-20 08:33PM | 0 recs
Re: And the Heat Win the NBA Championship

Since '04, when I don't have a dog in the hunt I have been making my rooting decisions on a red vs. blue basis.  Since these are two red states, with bigtime Bushness in both, it was especially difficult to decide.  I actually had to analyze which of the two teams' personnel I favored, and then, with Payton, Wade on the plus side (the obnoxious "Leadership Burnout King" Riley on the negative side), and Nowitzki and Avery J. kind of dickheads, and since Miami is 'way more cosmo and worldly than Dallas, the choice became easy.  Way to go, Shaq!

by budlawman 2006-06-20 08:53PM | 0 recs
don't make me start a flame war

dirk and avery are not dickheads.

by annatopia 2006-06-21 08:12AM | 0 recs
I'm not going to resort to a Bush quote

'cause we don't need any more warfare than we already have.  But Dirk went berserk after game 5 -- didn't like his treatment of the exercycle on the way to the locker room -- and Avery is a bit too, shall we say, earnest, for my taste.  So I stand by my comments.

by budlawman 2006-06-21 06:37PM | 0 recs
Whoohoo!!! Florida Democrat here

very happy about Heat win.

by Liberal 2006-06-20 09:28PM | 0 recs
Re: And the Heat Win the NBA Championship

Good for the Heat.  I'm waiting for the Second Red Sox championship in 3 years (after what they did to the Nationals, I'm seeing this as a 4-team fight for the AL (Sox, Yankees, other Sox, Tigers), with the winner fighting the Mets for baseball supremacy.

by jlove1982 2006-06-20 09:33PM | 0 recs
Re: And the Heat Win the NBA Championship

I am from the Los Angeles area, and I remember when Kobe Bryant and Shaquelle O'Neal couldn't put their differences aside and win after 3 in a row. They had two more chances together under Phil Jackson, and the egos were just too big.

So Kobe basically said "This town isn't big enough for both of us" and the Lakers had to choose which one to keep. Well, they kept spoiled brat Kobe, and let Shaq leave. Sure Kobe was younger, but big men are rare.

I am SO glad that Shaq got back to the finals before Kobe. Besides, I like Pat Riley. He is a great student of the game. As a player, he didn't get by one physical ability, he had to use his head.

by Tuba Les 2006-06-21 12:20AM | 0 recs
Re: And the Heat Win the NBA Championship

I'm from LA as well, and agree 100%. Go Heat!

by laurenm 2006-06-21 07:45AM | 0 recs
Re: And the Heat Win the NBA Championship

I wonder if Jeb gave W. a call after the game to taunt him.

Gratz to Dwayne Wade for making the Leap.  Full-fledged superstart now, I'd say.  Incredible Finals performance.

by RickD 2006-06-21 01:47AM | 0 recs
Re: And the Heat Win the NBA Championship

Wade just took control of the series.  Amazing.

by Matt Stoller 2006-06-21 06:48AM | 0 recs
yea, d-wade is amazing

i don't pay much attention to east ball during the year, so seeing d-wade perform was a real suprise for me.  he's got such a sweet shot; he can bank off the glass from just about any angle.  yea, the boy's got talent, that's for sure.  congrats to him and shaq for winning the championship, even if they had to beat my mavs doing it.

by annatopia 2006-06-21 08:12AM | 0 recs
Re: And the Heat Win the NBA Championship

When the Knicks suck, I don't pay attention.  That means I change the channel whenever the NBA has een mentioned for quite some time now.

by Pachacutec 2006-06-21 07:55AM | 0 recs
f-u matt & f the heat

you are officially on my shit list now.  :^P

i'm kidding... kinda.

honestly, i congratulate the heat for their win, but i am very very sad to see my mavs end their season on such a low note.  we embarrassed the heat for the first two games, then the heat embarrassed us for the next two, then we lost two heartbreakers.

but we exercised a LOT of demons this year and for that my guys should be proud.  we have a great coach, a great team, and a great owner, and next year i expect another trip to the finals.

by annatopia 2006-06-21 08:09AM | 0 recs
The refs were awful

I had no dog in this fight, but not even Jordan got calls the way Wade did in this series.  It became more and more insane as it went on.  By Game 6, a number of friends of mine had compared it to professional wrestling.

by bosdcla14 2006-06-21 08:08PM | 0 recs

Matt-

its cool to know that we are both Heat fans. I became a Heat fan after they drafted Dwyane Wade out of Marquette my freshman year after our Final Four run.

I feel privileged to have seen him play in college and to have been to New Orleans before Katrina.

There could not be a better super-star right now for the NBA than Dwyane Wade.

by Ryan Alexander 2006-06-21 08:52AM | 0 recs
You know you're old when...

...there are people who grew up Miami Heat fans. Sigh.

by eris 2006-06-21 10:57AM | 0 recs
Re: And the Heat Win the NBA Championship

After the Lakers folded, I was rooting for the Heat, but only because of Shaq and Riley (former Lakers). Now that I've watched them more, I'm a Heat fan still, but not only because of the Laker connection -- now it's because of D-Wade, one of the classiest super-talents to come along in quite a while.

by godotnut 2006-06-21 05:30PM | 0 recs
Re: And the Heat Win the NBA Championship

Congratulations to the Heat.  But I still HATE Pat Riley.  As a lifelong Boston Celtics fan it is disgusting to see that jerk with his cheap Gordon Gecko hair holding the NBA championship.

In a perfect world Mark Cuban would own the Celtics.

by ditka 2006-06-21 06:43PM | 0 recs