The Next Netroots Candidate

We're making a few changes to the netroots candidate page.  On the page itself you'll noticelinks to local blogs that are covering the specific candidates we've endorsed.  We're very excited about this small but significant change, because we believe that the distributed intelligence of the netroots is exceptionally powerful.  In fact one of the best ways to get on that list is to have local bloggers covering a race.  If you are covering one of the candidates, let me know in the comments and I'll add you to the page.

A lot of people think that leadership in the blogosphere comes from the bigger blogs because we get traffic.  While we do serve as a sort of aggregator of content, leadership in the blogs comes from anyone on the blogs who wants to be a leader and is willing to put the time in to do it.  That's what's different about this medium, and that's its strength.  There is no way, for instance, that any of the big blogs could cover the Lamont race as well as Lamontblog.  And Lamontblog, while it is narrow in focus, is powerful.  Ned Lamont reads it.  Connecticut journalists read it.  Many large bloggers rely on it.  And you can bet that as well funded as the DSCC might be, they don't know as much about that race as you can find out on Lamontblog.  If there's a blog as good as Lamontblog in every state and district, all of a sudden we've got a really great intelligence network for the netroots that is leaps and bounds better than anything anyone in DC can put together.

Over the next few weeks, we're going to add a bunch of candidates to the list, so please keep agitating for your favorites.  We've asked, over at Swing State Project, MyDD, and Daily Kos, who you want to see added.  The resulting discussions have been phenomenal.  Now it's time to take the next step and endorse a candidate who has embraced the netroots from the very beginning.  The bloggers in this area have vetted her, and have advocated for her to be added to the page, and there's nothing like local coverage to know whether a campaign is worth supporting.

The next netroots candidate is Darcy Burner in Washington's eighth Congressional district.  The district is trending blue, and Burner is incredibly smart and a natural camapigner going against vulnerable incumbent David Reichert.  She is also young (35) and web-savvy, having worked at Microsoft, and these traits will serve her well in a House that is desperately in need of new blood.  She has promised, for instance, to post on her Congressional web site a list of all meetings with lobbyists by her or any staff member, which is a fundamentally new approach to governance.

The Washington State blog community is one of the more mature blogging communities out there.  They don't fall lightly for a candidate, so seeing this kind of note on the exceptional Horse's Ass is quite meaningful.

I personally have known Burner for nearly a year, yet I didn't start actively promoting her campaign until February, after I became absolutely convinced that she was not only a candidate who could win, but who would well serve the interests of the 8th district and the citizens of WA state. During that time I've watched her grow from just another passionate Camp Wellstone classmate, into a compelling campaigner and a formidable fundraiser. And the more I learned about her personal story, the more I became convinced that she was the perfect candidate to represent the demographically diverse 8th district.

Burner regularly attends Drinking Liberally, and was at the Pacific NW Progressive Bloggers Conference.  Her diaries at Kos are here. She's got a good shot to win this district, and she is part of a new wave of internet candidates who know what it takes to win and know what democracy really can mean.

Welcome, Darcy, to the Actblue netroots page.

Tags: Darcy Burner (all tags)

Comments

Re: The Next Netroots Candidate

Mfume. For goodness sake!

by js noble 2006-05-23 12:33PM | 0 recs
Re: The Next Netroots Candidate

Is there a Mfume focused blog?

by Matt Stoller 2006-05-23 12:36PM | 0 recs
Re: The Next Netroots Candidate

Will the netroots be making more endorsements? Should wew keep campaigning for our favorite canidates?

by dantheman 2006-05-23 12:55PM | 0 recs

by Matt Stoller 2006-05-23 01:00PM | 0 recs
Re: The Next Netroots Candidate

This is wonderful news! Surely there is no candidate more deserving of this honor than Darcy Burner. She has truly earned it by putting people ahead of special interests.

by nwprogressive 2006-05-23 03:25PM | 0 recs
Re: The Next Netroots Candidate

A good pick, but I think there are better choices out there.

by DFLer22 2006-05-23 01:22PM | 0 recs

Such as...

by Matt Stoller 2006-05-23 01:26PM | 0 recs

I'll bite.

Larry Kissell!

No, they're all good. But Larry's next, mkay? :P

by RANT 2006-05-23 02:06PM | 0 recs
Re: The Next Netroots Candidate

Any number of candidates, the ones I especially like:

Gary Trauner, WY-AL

Monica Lindeen, MT-AL

Tim Walz, MN-01

David Van Os, TX-AG

by DFLer22 2006-05-23 03:51PM | 0 recs
Re: The Next Netroots Candidate

Seems that Bayh has been following at least some of your advice.

by blueflorida 2006-05-23 02:15PM | 0 recs
Goldmark WA-05

I'm glad Burner made the list--she could take Reichert.

and now I'm ready to shill for Peter Goldmark in WA-05.  Granted, he's not (yet) net savvy, but I think he could have a real shot at getting Tom Foley's old seat back from a reactionary Bush/DeLay puppet (Cathy McMorris).

Goldmark is a prominent rancher and could pull off an upset.  While culturally conservative, this district hasn't been helped by GOP policies and could be amenable to a Brian Schweitzer style Democrat. Additionally, as teacherken noted in his diary, McMorris is a first-term incumbent, and therefore at her most vulnerable.

Here's a bio shamelessly stolen from teacherken at Daily Kos:
PETER GOLDMARK has a life-long involvement with wheat ranching, science and public service. After receiving his Ph.D. in Molecular Biology from UC Berkeley in 1971, Goldmark returned to the family wheat and cattle ranch. He was appointed Director of the Washington State Department of Agriculture in 1993 by Governor Lowry. Goldmark is currently a member of the Washington State University Board of Regents and served as President of the Board and chairman of the presidential search committee in 1999-2000. He has published papers in national and international scientific journals on plant molecular genetics and currently runs a wheat breeding program for crop improvement.

The man is a fighter, a scientist, and a real cowboy.  He's got strong appeal in-person and a drive to win.  His district has not thrived during the Bush years.  The largest population center is Spokane, distantly followed by Pullman and Walla Walla--so a little money could go a long way there.

by benchcoat 2006-05-23 02:49PM | 0 recs
Re: Goldmark WA-05

Now that Peter has had his kickoff, I was browsing around the internet to see what I could find on him and found your comment.  Nice to see that something I wrote was useful -- and what you didn't know is you borrowed from my on my 60th birthday!!

I will be working with Peter via long distance and web ---  he is quite interested in the internet, and is already in contact with some local bloggers in places like Spokane.  He is quite bright (that Ph.D. from Cal Berkeley probably indicates that) and this is NOT his first foray into elective politics, having served a couple of terms on his local school board.

If the Repubs nationally keep getting hit -- eg, tonight's ABC News story on Haster (which may also involve Blunt, whose name was on the letter shown), that will increase the possibilities of this election being nationalized.

by teacherken 2006-05-24 03:13PM | 0 recs
Re: The Next Netroots Candidate

Darcy was the only candidate to have substantial local blog push, so she was an obvious pick.  There's a few other obvious pick in that regard and then we're going to open up the process again.

by Matt Stoller 2006-05-23 03:06PM | 0 recs

Matt - Great pick!

My question to you is how do you select the blogs you list?  I'd love mine to be listed if that's possible, and I can think of others that are worthy.

I actually live in Darcy's district, and have been plugging her candidacy since I was able to meet Darcy in January.

Daniel K
On The Road To 2008

by Daniel K 2006-05-23 03:24PM | 0 recs
Many thanks!

I am quite honored and excited to be the next Netroots endorsed candidate -- the support of the local netroots has already made a big difference in my race, and I am thrilled to see that support expand nationally.

I will fight hard to make you all proud.

Let's take back our country this November!

Darcy

by Darcy Burner for Congress 2006-05-23 03:09PM | 0 recs
Re: Many thanks!

The local blogosphere is proud to stand behind you. We will continue to make a huge difference in this race.

by nwprogressive 2006-05-23 03:23PM | 0 recs
Re: The Next Netroots Candidate

The Netroots should really be focusing on steering all fundraising attention to Francine Busby right now, considering her election is in two weeks! If she wins, it will take the media spotlight off William Jefferson and back onto the GOP's struggles. Plus it will significantly hurt the GOP fundraising operation, our biggest obstacle to taking back the House.

by ProgressiveVoter 2006-05-23 03:09PM | 0 recs

Awesome. Awesome. Awesome.

by jondevore 2006-05-23 03:31PM | 0 recs

Matt,

Thanks so much!  By endorsing Darcy Burner you also endorsed the hard work and local insight of the WA political blogosphere.  And Burner's victory in November is going to be seen as an endorsement of the netroots strategy.

by Goldy 2006-05-23 04:12PM | 0 recs
Blogging local races

Back in February I started blogging the VA-05 race where Virgil "MZM-Scandal" Goode is incumbent. I talked to Al a few times about Band of Brothers and netroots things, and he listened. He got beaten in 2004 and he knows he has to do something different to win (unlike much of the rest of the Democratic party) so he invited me to start attending staff meetings. Now I'm working for Al full time, still blogging every step of the way.

This isn't a pitch for Al or for my blog, but I thought it was really cool that Al was able to recognize another angle to the campaign and instantly just incorporate it into his organization. Now the pitch: I think Al deserves to be on the netroots page, for reasons detailed in the previous MyDD thread, and so do all of these people.

Only three reasons are new: Al has secured the nomination, Virgil's situation with MZM is heating up, and Al has come out in support of Net Neutrality.

by msnook 2006-05-23 04:34PM | 0 recs
I Reccomend Jerry McNerney for Congress!

A grassroots Democrat and a strong progressive who will stand up to Richard Pombo.

Here's a recent Singer/Mydd interview with him:

http://www.mydd.com/story/2006/5/22/1424 52/955

Here's his website:

Here are some blogs covering the race:

by malik5470 2006-05-23 05:06PM | 0 recs
Re: The Next Netroots Candidate

Every once in awhile the netroots and DCCC can agree on a candidate.

by Newsie8200 2006-05-23 05:18PM | 0 recs
Re: The Next Netroots Candidate

Be careful what you say.  I once said that exact same thing here and got troll-rated! :p

by HellofaSandwich 2006-05-23 07:33PM | 0 recs
I remember that

That was outrageous! I can't believe you said that! I'm going to find that comment and troll-rate you again.

by msnook 2006-05-24 05:48PM | 0 recs
Re: The Next Netroots Candidate

Tim Walz in MN-01 - a genuine progressive, a veteran, and in a district that is considered potentially competitive.

by ItsDrewMiller 2006-05-23 05:39PM | 0 recs
Re: The Next Netroots Candidate

I;d say the best two candidates are:

House:
Linda Stender (NJ-07) Solid candidate running in a second tier race in a blue district with signficant local netroots support.  New Jersey is a notoriously expensive state to campaign in and she will need every dime we can give her.

Senate:
Jim Webb (VA).  We got him into this mess, after all (or, rather, the folks at Raising Kaine and their "Draft Webb" page did).  Webb has already put this race on the radar, some more funds could make it trully competitive.  We desperately need to expand the playing field on the Senate side of things.

by Ryan Anderson 2006-05-23 11:42PM | 0 recs
Larry Grant in the ID-01

I am late to this thread, having found it while doing some research on other netroots candidates. But I have been advocating elsewhere at MyDD for my candidate, Larry Grant. MrLiberal also plead our case the day after this thread appeared - I guess I was too busy sending word of that to see this!

http://mrliberal.mydd.com/story/2006/5/2 4/192715/109

Like Darcy Burner, Larry Grant is a tech-industry success story with a rowdy bunch of bloggers who have his back. He earned 75% of the vote in our May 23 primary, and he's now picking up a lot of moderate Republican and independent support, which a Democrat must do to win in Idaho. Most important of all, he is running against one of the worst - perhaps THE worst - extremist Republicans of the year. Bill Sali would be a disaster in Congress.

I'll be doing a diary soon on why Larry Grant needs and deserves netroots support, but meanwhile, the case is amply laid out at our new website, Netroots for Grant:

We invite you to check it out and see the many reasons why Larry Grant is an obvious choice for a netroots-endorsed candidate.

by Julie Fanselow 2006-06-09 04:28PM | 0 recs