MyDD May 2006 Straw Poll: Least Favorite in 2008

Make sure you read the post before voting

After seeing the preliminary results in the May / June Dailykos straw polls, I have decided to change things a bit for the MyDD straw poll. Considering that Feingold has a massive, and virtually unchanged, lead in the regular Dailykos poll, and that Gore has an even larger lead in the Fantasy poll, I have decided that instead of asking people to rank their favorite choices for 2008, I will instead ask you to rank your least favorite choices for 2008. It is the only way I can imagine adding any spice to this poll.

So, go vote in the poll, but make sure you rank the candidates from your least favorite to your favorite, rather than the other way around. If candidate A is your least favorite option, place him or her at the top of your list. Place your second least candidate next, your third least favorite candidate third, your fourth least candidate fourth, etc.

I don't want to give off too much negative energy here, but at least this should produce some more interesting results. Vote away. Keep it civil in the comments. Don't repeat any Republican talking points.

Update: I just got some anonymous feedback on the poll demanding that I include Gore because people will still supporting him for Peesident as his movie comes out. Talk about not reading the instructions, or even the title of the poll. Maybe I shouldn't have bothered.

Tags: 2008, Straw polls (all tags)

Comments

Least Favorite in 2008

Haha.  Even with those explicit instructions, a bunch of dingbats screwed it up.  Unless Feingold is that unpopular around here.

by ChgoSteve 2006-05-23 12:37PM | 0 recs
Re: Least Favorite in 2008

In other words, this poll isn't worth the time it takes to click a mouse.

by Sitkah 2006-05-23 01:04PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD May 2006 Straw Poll: Least Favorite in 20

Yeah, it looks like some screwed it up.

This was actually quite interesting.  My voting went something like this:

Oh yeah, Biden gets #1
But wait, Nutsack is on here too -- no, he gets #1
Holy shit, I forgot about Daschle
OMG, Dodd!!!  Is he really serious about running?!

In the end, I decided to represent my Indiana roots by giving the DLC whore Bayh the top spot.  It'll be fun to watch him run and bomb, just as it was Joementum in '04.

by Stahlsworth 2006-05-23 12:43PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD May 2006 Straw Poll: Least Favorite in 20
Nutsack is too fat to be president.  Plus, he doesn't know the words to the pledge of allegiance.
I'd vote for his wife though.  She's great.
by ChgoSteve 2006-05-23 12:46PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD May 2006 Straw Poll: Least Favorite in 20

Hm.  I voted for Biden, but I'm wondering if Hillary would have been a more appropriate choice.  I.  Can't.  Stand.  Her.  At.  All.

by HellofaSandwich 2006-05-23 12:51PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD May 2006 Straw Poll: Least Favorite in 20

Nope. You made the right call. Biden (D-MBNA) is the worst of the bunch.

by nate pdx 2006-05-23 01:01PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD May 2006 Straw Poll: Least Favorite in 20

Just clicked through the round-by-round coverage.  Was pleased to see my top two lead every round, with Hillary ahead of Biden every time...except the finals.

I think the instructions are a bit confusing, FWIW.

by RickD 2006-05-23 03:00PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD May 2006 Straw Poll: Least Favorite in 20

He's the best for me.  Here's how I cast my ballot:

1.) Daschle
2.) Vilsack
3.) Hillary
4.) Richardson
5.) Bayh
6.) Feingold
7.) Warner
8.) Edwards
9.) Dodd
10.) Kerry
11.) Clark
12.) Biden

by SenorSwanky 2006-05-24 03:12AM | 0 recs
Re: Straw Poll: Least Favorite

I tried doing the poll, but after Feingold I held the remaining 11 in pretty much equal contempt.

by Sitkah 2006-05-23 12:59PM | 0 recs
PS

And that's a pretty sad commentary on what the Democratic party is offering up for 2008 -- a bunch of junior varsity Republicans who will once again disinspire liberal voters.

by Sitkah 2006-05-23 01:07PM | 0 recs
Re: PS

IMO this says more about you than it says about the Democratic Party.

by Populism2008 2006-05-23 01:49PM | 0 recs
C'mon Chris...

....shelve this poll because everyone isn't on the same page?  spicy??  Who cares?

by fred 2006-05-23 01:13PM | 0 recs
maybe rank them by electability?

I saw Edwards ranked pretty high (or low,  I guess) and I'm thinking "Wait a minute. He can't even carry his own state."

I mean, I like the guy, but forget it......

Just promise him an appointment as head of the Department of Labor or HHS and tell him to get out on the road and help the nominee.

(And tell him not to smile so much next time he's debating with a drug-addled corpse.)

by Bush Bites 2006-05-23 01:40PM | 0 recs
much more difficult

Heh. What Stahlsworth said. It became pretty metaphysical. Is who I dislike the most the same as who I would least like to see be the nominee? Such fine lines.

In the end, Kerry had to be #1, because the man just cannot take a hint. WE ARE NOT GOING TO NOMINATE YOU AGAIN, JOHN. GIVE IT UP. Geez. Even Hillary would be better.

by tatere 2006-05-23 01:40PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD May 2006 Straw Poll: Least Favorite in 20

Even though I doubt anyone here knows enough about him to have an opinion, positive or negative, can we at least include former Senator Mike Gravel of Alaska?  He's declared a candidacy and I don't see why he should be ignored while Sharpton and Mosley-Braun were given attention in 2004.

by LoganFerree 2006-05-23 01:54PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD May 2006 Straw Poll: Least Favorite in 20

I've never heard of Mike Gravel. But if he's running for prez I'll find out more. I'd never heard of Howard Dean until I read about an unknown Gov. of Vermont disagreeing with Al Gore's 2002 call for a single payer health insurance system.

by Sitkah 2006-05-23 03:48PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD May 2006 Straw Poll: Least Favorite

Least favorite:

Least: Clinton
2nd:   Bayh
3rd:   Dodd
4th:   Kerry
5th:   Edwards

I'm good with:

1.Feingold
2.Gore or Warner
3.Biden

by CenterLeftBlooz 2006-05-23 02:00PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD May 2006 Straw Poll: Least Favorite

Just b/c ppl like Kos have not paid attention to Dodd (a senator who hasn't had a challenging election in years) in the last couple years is not reason enough to think he's not a legit Dem candidate.  For years Dodd has been given the highest praise by child advocacy groups (even having more popularity than the late Senator Wellstone on this issue)  Also Dodd has great foreign policy experience since he has been on foreign relations for 26 years.  He led the fight against John Bolten this year, is actually fluent in Spanish, and has the most personality of any dem running for the office since Bill Clinton.

There are 2 main knocks on Dodd:

Lieberman Ties.  The Senate still represents some sort of a social club (esp for Dodd whose father served when it was a social club) and there is no way that he would leave a Dem senator from his state.  It is not possible so he needs a pass on Lieberman esp since he recognized Lamont in his endorsement speech.

by TulaneDem 2006-05-23 02:31PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD May 2006 Straw Poll: Least Favorite

"There are 2 main knocks on Dodd: Panders to insurance companies...he has to do this as a senator from CT.  If he didn't a republican would and you would have another republican senator from CT.

Nobody HAS to be corrupt. And I don't buy that the only way Dems can beat Repos is to bend over for corporations.

The way I see it, I have nothing to gain by cynically accepting corporate corruption of government and eveything to gain by idealistically demanding honesty and accountability.

by Sitkah 2006-05-23 03:43PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD May 2006 Straw Poll: Least Favorite

In CT it's not about corruption.  It's about jobs and making sure CT's citizens have jobs.  Every politician favors their home industry because it represents the jobs of his constituents.  It does not mean that you sell out to corporations when your consituents are the employed.

Dodd is really strong on many issues and should not be thrown aside b/c he hasn't been that visible in the blogosphere.

by TulaneDem 2006-05-23 04:08PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD May 2006 Straw Poll: Least Favorite in 20

Biden is my least favorite.  His towel snapping lockeroom jock-like kiss up to Abu Gonzales was embarrassing.

by ksh 2006-05-23 02:06PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD May 2006 Straw Poll: Least Favorite in 20

I'm confused - if the "least favorite" is supposed to be ranked #1, the poll should state as such.

Instead, on http://www.demochoice.org/dcballot.php?p oll=200805 , it says "Rank the candidates you support"

by tietack 2006-05-23 02:12PM | 0 recs

yep i saw that too.

by Pravin 2006-05-23 02:45PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD May 2006 Straw Poll: Least Favorite in 20
Yeah, there are clearly huge porblems with this poll. Oh well.
by Chris Bowers 2006-05-23 05:14PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD May

Talk about being too clever for your own good. This poll is a complete waste of time as you'd need to know exactly what percentage of respondents failed to read, or indeed understand, the instructions before you could start your analysis.

by kundalini 2006-05-23 03:17PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD May 2006 Straw Poll: Least Favorite in 20

Unlike the regular straw polls, where the rankings tend to stay pretty consistent from round 1 all the way through the end, these results were striking as Hillary easily had the most #1 rankings in round 1, yet was beat out by the time the finish line was reached.

Taking into account the fact that some people simply didn't understand the poll, it seems like there is a pretty solid crew of haters who probably took about a millisecond to rank Hillary #1, but everyone left over is at least okay with her.  If she had been #2 or #3 on all those other ballots, she easily would have kept her "advantage" all the way to the finish line.

Compare this to, let's say, Daschle, who was probably ranked favorably on very few lists.

by Steve M 2006-05-23 09:36PM | 0 recs
Least Favorite in 20

I also think that Al Gore, or at least "other," should be included so that I can rank him last in the list of least favorite candidates.

"Hillary"  Here's a spelling nymonic" "She puts i in Hell."

by Winston Smith 2006-05-23 10:47PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD May 2006 Straw Poll: Least Favorite in 20

Well, I can't stand Hillary because of her pandering to the mythical "center" voter who simply doesn't exist anymore: its pretty clear voters want someone to take a firm stand and declare it moral -- at any rate, she has been too busy alienating the base of the Democratic party to have any chance of winning the primary.  And Biden: geez, can you go on anymore talk shows and talk down Democrats?  I also can't stand either Bayh or Vilsak.  Everyone else I'm pretty neutral about.

Frankly, I think this poll should include Lieberman: after all, what else is he going to do once he loses the Connecticut Senate race?

by Maven 2006-05-24 05:24AM | 0 recs