Cegelis Endorses Duckworth

Lynn Sweet's column has the story.

Christine Cegelis, who lost a three-way Democratic House primary battle last month, said she endorses the winner, wounded Iraq war vet Tammy Duckworth.

"I certainly endorse Tammy over Peter Roskam. I hope for a Demo-cratic win in November, and I wish her all the luck in the world,'' Cegelis said

This is a classy move, and a smart one.  She took some time, took a deep breath, and then did the right thing.  That's going to matter when the next political opportunity comes up for her.

Tags: Christine Cegelis, IL-06, Tammy Duckworth (all tags)

Comments

Re: Cegelis Endorses Duckworth

Of course she does.  I'm really sick of all this read/react, read/react behavior.  Time we start to read/reflect before we jump on someone.  Look at how the right wingers jumped all over Jill Carroll for daring to say things that would save her life.

Carolyn Kay
MakeThemAccountable.com

by Caro 2006-04-03 05:55AM | 0 recs
Cegelis treatment

The treatment Cegelis has recieved on the blogs really bothers me. Everyone was so quick to judge her character and drag her through the mud based on an anonymous quote attached to an incindiary headline, that she never said.

Yet, as I commented below, this interview and endorsement was given to the major media in Chicago the day BEFORE the Hill article came out claiming, based on an anonymous source, that Cegelis wouldn't endorse.

Note that Lynn Sweet actually picked up the phone and closed the loop. She didn't just run with a rumor or an anonymous source. She didn't post on her blog that Cegelis wouldn't endorse. She didn't call Duckworth and ask her why Cegelis wasn't endorsing her.

No, she picked up the phone and got the information straight from the source.

This whole campaign has really hurt my perception of the Blogs and how realible they are. Especially what happened last week, where people were laying out judgement on a person's personal character and just whether they were a good Democrat of not over something she didn't even say.

I hope all of you who were quick to judge Cegelis and deem her unfit for the party will take a step back next time you think you know something just because it was written in the media, and instead begin to listen to those of us who are actually in the district and literally close to the campaign's you are slamming.

by michael in chicago 2006-04-03 01:15PM | 0 recs
Re: Cegelis treatment

Stop attacking 'the blogs' for this, Michael, and get some perspective.  There were commenters who attacked Cegelis, which was wrong.  But most people on this site waited and recognized that she'd need some time to heal.

by Matt Stoller 2006-04-03 02:56PM | 0 recs
Re: Cegelis treatment

My comment was directed to commenters. The comments were over the top, and beyond what I expect directed to fellow Democrats.

And as to "attacking the blogs" I will continue, but I prefer questioning to your term. This media is growning and needs to self examine from time to time in our zeal to win back control of our government. How we do that, both on the blogs and ITRW says a great deal about our character, and what we as a group will become once we do gain power.

Telling me to "get some perspective" is exactly why I'm raising these comments. I remember when I started posting on dKos I was not told to "get some perspective" when I raised issues with what was going on there. Debate happened. People debated the issue raised. Now what I see is people telling other people they are wrong, shut up, you're not a real Democrat, if they happen to disagree.

For example, why do I need to get some perspective for pointing out that a great deal of comments leveled, questioning a candidate's character, were based on a single anonymous source tied to an incindiary headline? Especially when this piece came out after Cegelis had given an endorsement to the major media? Why does that require perspective? And why is perspective required from my point only?

"The blogs" are more than the front page posts. They include the community that develops around the site. Comments are vital, and the tone and direction of them shapes perspective and narrative that surrounds the subject of the post. If we in the blogs (and I count myself in this) go off on candidates in such a reactionary way, how do we do those candidates, or ourselves or our party, any justice? How does that not hurt the credibility of the whole community?

So I'm not going to stop questioning. I think this is a discussion that needs to happen.

by michael in chicago 2006-04-03 06:08PM | 0 recs
Re: Cegelis treatment

I'd also like to point out that the Hill is a conservative publication whose editorial staff includes the head of the ACU.  Why do we take any smears from them seriously?  They aren't out to do us any favors.

by Jay 2006-04-03 04:23PM | 0 recs

That's how you do it.

by Michael Bersin 2006-04-03 06:02AM | 0 recs
Re: Cegelis Endorses Duckworth

Is that an apology for bashing her prematurely?

Just sayin', ya know?

by dabuddy 2006-04-03 03:27PM | 0 recs
Re: Cegelis Endorses Duckworth

I am certainly happy for Ms. Cegelis, who waited a bit, but did the right thing.  I now concure with her supporters that she is classy and a good person.

Thank you, Ms. Cegelis, for your extremely crucial and very gracious endorsement.

Now that this crucial moment has passed, Democrats in IL-06 can move to dealing with the real opponent.

by dataguy 2006-04-03 06:05AM | 0 recs
Re: Cegelis Endorses Duckworth

Is that an apology for slamming her prematurely?

Just asking.

by dabuddy 2006-04-03 11:56AM | 0 recs
Re: Cegelis Endorses Duckworth

Kudos to Cegelis for the classy endorsement.  Now on to victory in IL06 and elsewhere!

by Jay 2006-04-03 06:23AM | 0 recs
Phew.

Michael in Chicago and I will now lead this site in a singing of "Kumbaya" and, for the hell of it, "Masters of War".

by Adam B 2006-04-03 06:45AM | 0 recs
Re: Phew.

How about "Master of Puppets" in honor of Rahm Emmanuel.

Kidding!

by adamterando 2006-04-03 07:14AM | 0 recs
Re: Phew.

You've never heard me sing... ;-)

by michael in chicago 2006-04-03 07:43AM | 0 recs
good for her

One of the ways the radical-right took over the Republican party was by demonstarting party loyalty. If the progressive movement wants to be running the Democratic party the same way the right runs the repugs we will have to do the same.  That may mean occassionally swallowing our pride and supporting the pols who beat our prefered candidates in the primaries.

by Theo929 2006-04-03 06:49AM | 0 recs

Solidarity, Democrats!

by S1 2006-04-03 06:54AM | 0 recs
Re: Cegelis Endorses Duckworth

Ms Cegelis is a class act as always.  Good luck in the future Christine, I look forward to helping with your next campaign/project.

by Demo Dan in Dayton 2006-04-03 06:58AM | 0 recs
Re: Cegelis Endorses Duckworth

Glad she came around. That whole "no endorsement till she changes her positions" thing was bull. Glad she finally came to realize that it's more important to elect a progressive than to elect Christine Cegelis.

by Ament Stone of California 2006-04-03 07:18AM | 0 recs
Re: Cegelis Endorses Duckworth

I hope Cegelis didn't do this in consideration of "the next political opportunity" but because it was the right thing for the district. I certainly don't think she's looking for Emmanuel and Durbin to help her out with anything after the way they engineered her out of this race.

by barkingmoose 2006-04-03 08:52AM | 0 recs
Re: Cegelis Endorses Duckworth

It really doesn't matter WHY she did it.  Motivation is really over-rated in many circumstances.  What matters is merely and totally that she did the right thing and endorsed.   Motivation is best left to historians.

by dataguy 2006-04-03 09:21AM | 0 recs

Thank God.

by admiralnaismith 2006-04-03 10:13AM | 0 recs
But...

I thought she wasn't a real Democrat and didn't have any class!

My how things change.

For all you doubting Thomas' out there, also not the day this call happened. Cegelis gave this endorsement last Thursday - BEFORE the Hill Article from an anonymous source saying she wouldn't endorse.

Next time, before all of you go trashing someone who has done as much good for the party around my neck of the woods, wait until you hear it from the source.

by michael in chicago 2006-04-03 12:59PM | 0 recs
Re: Cegelis Endorses Duckworth

I am glad to see that Christine recognizes the importance of gaining a Democratic majority in the House.

Hopefully her example catches on and leads more folks to see the bigger picture!

by bridgetdooley 2006-04-03 01:39PM | 0 recs