Bloggers Shouting "Wake Up"

bumped - Matt

In Administration tells Congress (again) - We won't abide by your "laws", Glenn Greenwald lays it out:

The reality is that the Administration has been making clear for quite some time that they have unlimited power and that nothing -- not even the law -- can restrict it. ... As I have documented more times than I can count, we have a President who has seized unlimited power, including the power to break the law, and the Administration -- somewhat commendably -- is quite candid and straightforward about that fact.
I think this is the key line:

And the media continues to fail in its duty to inform the country about the powers the Administration has seized, likely because they are so extreme that people still do not really believe that the Administration means what they are saying.
This is the key.  Maybe, just maybe, they mean the things they are saying.  And I think this warning about the extreme things the Right is saying is a big part of what political blogging is about.

Blogs are an Internet phenomenon.  So bloggers tend to be people who spend a lot of time online, and political bloggers read a lot about politics.  So political bloggers are more likely than others to be visiting websites and forums where right-wingers more openly discuss their ideas, or are more likely to be listening to Limbaugh and others on the radio.  And what we are reading and hearing is frightening. The things they are saying to each other are DIFFERENT from what they are saying to the public.  The things they are writing and saying are extreme and violent and subversive.  It is not like what we as Americans are used to reading and hearing.

The things the Republicans are saying and doing are so extreme that regular people refuse to believe it when you try to warn them about what is happening.  For example, several years ago I had been reading the right's newsletters, forums and websites, and I was trying to tell my moderate-centrist aunt that the conservatives were talking about getting rid of public schools.  She called ME an extremist for saying something like that.  It's a natural reaction.  But now, years later, we know that this is what their agenda has been all along, and like the frogs in heating water it no longer seems so extreme.  Bringing this back to Glenn's post, if today you try to tell someone that an American President is asserting that laws do not apply to him, they think YOU'RE the crazy person in the room.

Bloggers are trying to warn the public that what is going on in America is DIFFERENT from politics-as-usual. The bloggers have been trying to get the Democratic leadership and the media to understand this.  We are seeing something new to America forming, something dangerous to democracy.  The "pendulum" is not swinging back. It is right there in front of your eyes if you are willing to see it, but it represents something so radical, so different from what we are used to, that it is difficult to believe this could be happening to us.

Yes, the President of the United States is asserting that he is above the law.  The nature of American government has changed.  The question is, who among us has the courage to stand up and say that we do not accept this?  Who among us is willing to speak out, beyond the blogs?  When will the media begin to understand what is happening, and start to warn the public?  When will the Democratic leadership begin to realize that the extreme things the Republicans are saying might be what they mean to do?

(Cross-posted at Seeing the Forest)

Tags: blogging, constitution, coup, George W. Bush (all tags)

Comments

Re: Bloggers Shouting "Wake Up"

As alarming as you statements are, I have to admit that they are interesting and I appreciate the job the bloggers do.

by spirowasright 2006-03-26 01:48PM | 0 recs
Re: Bloggers Shouting "Wake Up"
Unfortunately, I fear that the people aren't waking up since this country has a history of being a little too forgiving of corrupt politicians.
by spirowasright 2006-03-26 01:51PM | 0 recs
Re: Bloggers Shouting "Wake Up"

I don't know if I would really call it corruption.  Yes, there are some questionable corruption charges in the Bush camp, but while he is crooked, Delay still makes him look liek a choir boy.

What this has become is a quasi dictatorship.  Its not that Bush is acting corrupt, as much as it is that Bush feels he has a mandate from God to wipe out the heathens, the gays, the abortionists, etc.  Bush isn't doing this even though he knows it is illegal.  He honestly doesn't think HE is beholden to these laws.  He thinks he is acting legally.  And his puppet masters, who have waited since Reagan for someone clueless enough to be able to manipulate AND a congress that they can control... are feeding him the lines and keeping the illusion alive.

Bush acts illegally, but I honestly think he DOESN"T understand he is acting illegally.  I think he honestly feels that he is doing Gods work and that is the most important law.

Which makes him more dangerous than many of the nutcases out there... A religious extremist knows few boundaries trying to enforce their beliefs.  After all, look at Osama... He and Bush are more alike than either would admit.  Both are extremists, both grew up rich and both are act strong but are really cowards.

by yitbos96bb 2006-03-27 12:25PM | 0 recs
This is the central point

The administration and the republicans are relying on people simply not believing that they would do what they are doing. It flies so deeply in the face of what America is about that if you talk about it, folks think you're talking crazy.  The president asserts that he can break any law he wants to?  No way that's possible.  But that's what he's repeatedly done.

There is a serious media failure here.  The blogosphere is helping--Glenn Greenwald in particular has laid the case out very clearly. But it is still very difficult to get people who don't follow this stuff closely to listen.  It's very unthinkableness is an obstacle.

by jayackroyd 2006-03-26 05:37PM | 0 recs
Re: This is the central point

I would add conservatives to your list. So, it is this administration, republicans and conservatives, along with their big money supporters, that are corrupting and bankrupting America.  We cannot let the "conservative" off the hook; because it is under their banner that all that's transpired over the past six years has been made possible.  The Bush administration and their failures must be hung around the neck of the conservative brand, otherwise we risk people disassociating failure from the ideology that's facilitated and cheered such monumental failures of imagination and leadership.

Some in these here parts of the blogsphere, MyDD and DailyKos, have sought to make some sort of alliance between "traditional conservatives" and progressives; in an attempt to chip away at the "traditional conservative" base, however marginally. But I think that doing so, while it may be appear to be good tactic, is harmful, strategically, to progressivism in our country.  I'd rather see efforts spent in growing and nourishing the progressive brand, rather than forming some teneos electoral alliance with disenchanted "conservatives."  Again, let's not forget, it's been conservatives that aided and abetted the republican sacking of our country -- let them wear that as their scarlet letter.

by bedobe 2006-03-26 06:40PM | 0 recs
Re: This is the central point

Which conservatives though?  The Neo Con/Theo Con group, absolutely... I agree with you.  The old school "traditional" conservative who wants to stay out of war and only concentrate on US interests, wants a small budget, government out of their lives, etc... not as much.  Many of them are pissed to all hell.  We just didn't offer a good enough alternative in 2004.  They stayed with the devil they knew (even though things got worse).   Had we had a candidate who showed real leadership, that called Bush on his lies, and hit hard, those "Traditional" conservatives might have gone blue.

by yitbos96bb 2006-03-27 12:29PM | 0 recs
Re: This is the central point

In terms of the PR war, I don't think that we can parse what we mean by "conservative."  As I mentioned above, the entire "conservative" brand needs to be taken down a couple of notches.  I don't think that the general public want's to be bothered with such labels as neo, paleo and all that other nonsense.  We, liberals, need to go after the conservative brand just as conservatives went after the liberal brand.  Ideally we'll get to a point where one day, when the conservative candidate is asked if he (or she) considers himself a conservative he'll answer as Kerry did when he was asked if he was a liberal, which is: Well, I don't like labels, blah, blah, blah.

That you're asking this question, I think, points to fault that we liberals are guilty of, and that's that we don't play by the same publicity rules that conservatives employ.  When conservatives went after liberal they didn't ask which kind of liberal they were going to vilify, they just went after all liberals -- we now need to go after the conservative brand and paint it all with the same broad brush.

by bedobe 2006-03-27 04:43PM | 0 recs
Re: Bloggers Shouting "Wake Up"

This past week, I got a scare that literally chilled me to the marrow of my bones!  My daughter, who is a stay-at-home mother of two little girls, had her computer hacked last week by the Department of Defense!  I am just terrified that these creeps are reading the emails of any Democrat who dares send an email that is critical of the Bush administration.  I have always known in my heart that there was a good reason for Bush to by-pass court approval before listening in on phone conversations and reading emails.  They don't want anyone to know who they are spying on!  And believe me, they are spying on Democrats who speak up and voice strong  opinions about this President.

by bonaparte 2006-03-26 06:17PM | 0 recs
Re: Bloggers Shouting "Wake Up"

How do you know the DOD hacked her PC?  Did they inform her?  The DOD hackers are pretty freakin good... I can't see them being so sloppy that they leave traces.  I believe that the DOD would do this... I am just curious how she found out.

by yitbos96bb 2006-03-27 12:31PM | 0 recs
Re: Bloggers Shouting "Wake Up"

Besides if they are reading email, they wouldn't hack a personal PC.  It would be much easier to read the email by going straight to the server.

by yitbos96bb 2006-03-27 12:32PM | 0 recs
Re: Bloggers Shouting "Wake Up"

Still never heard from you Bonaparte?  Perhaps you were mistaken?  Making it up?  While It wouldn't surprise me that it happened, unless youa re on their skill level, you will not know they were there unless they tell you.

by yitbos96bb 2006-04-03 01:37PM | 0 recs
King George

Ironically, wasn't this whole Revolution thing and the Constitution supposed to prevent tyranny?

by risenmessiah 2006-03-26 06:22PM | 0 recs
Re: King George

Yep, unless you are a believer of Howard Zinn.  I actually plan to rebuy People's History of the United States in 2009 or whenever it is updated for Bush.  If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it.  It is a Marxist view of American history told through the eyes of the people.  COlumbus through the eyes of the Natives he enslaved.  Civil War through the Slaves AND through the mistreated industrial workers.  Good stuff.

by yitbos96bb 2006-03-27 12:42PM | 0 recs
Bloggers Shouting and Nobody Listens

Something is being said about the Sphere and the rest of the media.

The complaints I see have an eerie echo with the administration's complaints of Iraq reporting.

I believe that except for the occasional scoop, the only way blogs to get a message out is long, persistent and constant hammering on a point.

by Judeling 2006-03-26 06:56PM | 0 recs
Re: Bloggers Shouting "Wake Up"

Here is a button I've used that works well with many moderate Republicans:

"It's no longer that the pendulum is swinging to the right, it's that the radical rightwingers in control now are knocking over the entire  Grandfather Clock."

Then I explain how this radical force is "hotwiring the channels of government," "dismantling the contitutional system of checks and balances," "disconnecting the average middle class taxpayer from the decision makers and handing decisions over to billionaires and thier lobbyists."

Blue collar Republicans walk away ashen-faced.

Knocking over the Grandfather Clock. It's tilting over. Pendulum my ass. The whole clock. Going down. ... unless you hold your nose and vote Democrat...

Checks and balances - repeat.

by dereau 2006-03-26 07:23PM | 0 recs
Re: Bloggers Shouting "Wake Up"

Ever since the fraudulent Federal elections of '00, '02, and '04, and the controlled demolitions of 9-11, the entire corporate media regime has been playing possum. And the Big Blogs have only sporadically stirred from their own slumber, vowing get up and do some small thing or other before the Reich sweeps all the way into Leningrad.

by blues 2006-03-27 12:13AM | 0 recs
Re: Bloggers Shouting "Wake Up"

The controlled demolitions of 9-11?

by yitbos96bb 2006-03-27 12:39PM | 0 recs
Re: Bloggers Shouting "Wake Up"

Yes. That's what the university physicists are saying.

Play it again, Sam!

Download the +/_ 250MB video of BYU physics Professor Steven E. Jones Ph.D. at:

Scholars for 9/11 Truth
http://www.scholarsfor911truth.org/index .html

Search out and receive (if you have a high-speed connection) the free download at:
= Why Indeed Did the WTC Buildings Collapse?
by Steven E. Jones, Ph.D. =.

(Note that about half of the people involved in this organization could be described as "other than liberal." But that should not be exceedingly surprising, all things considered.)

by blues 2006-03-27 01:48PM | 0 recs
Re: Bloggers Shouting "Wake Up"

I finally remembered where I heard that before.  Charlie Sheen is trying to play it off like it is his idea and investigation.

by yitbos96bb 2006-04-03 01:26PM | 0 recs
Re: Bloggers Shouting "Wake Up"

For those who are new (or may have readers who are new) can you provide a substantive list of what's scary - not annoying, obnoxious of offensive, but outright scary?

I know what scares me but I am interested in others' perspective on what precisely is worth fearing (as opposed to mocking, etc.)

by Bruce Godfrey 2006-03-27 03:59AM | 0 recs

Hmm What scares me.

Warrantless Searches.

Secret Tribunals.

American Citizens arrested in the US held for several years without a trial... The Padilla case alone should have Ashcroft sent to prison.

A congress who does not provide a proper balance to the WH.

Extremist Justices who are out of touch with popular opinion.

by yitbos96bb 2006-03-27 12:38PM | 0 recs
Re: Bloggers Shouting "Wake Up"

In re the fact that what the Republicans are saying in the blogosphere is different from what they're saying in public--whenever I point this out to people, they say, "Well, bloggers are all just a bunch of hysterical nuts anyway, there's no difference between them, Republican or Democrat,they're not professional, trained newsmen who know what they're talking about, why should you pay any attention to them anyway?" I was even told by a Democratic Party activist, "Don't read the Internet."

by Baltimore 2006-03-27 04:01AM | 0 recs
Re: Bloggers Shouting "Wake Up"

Excellent post.  It shows why it is so important we win one or both House of Congress this year.  While it would be nice if the Dem leadership were more aggressive, their power is limited to throwing rocks and mucking up the gears.  We don't even have the votes to make the Repubs swear-in witnesses before Congress.

People need to see the big picture as to why a Democratic Congress is so important.  The Repubs in Congress have completely abdicated their check against the executive branch and the only way we can reinstate it is by winning Congress.  Without a majority in either House and the power that comes with it, we are left to scream and yelling to little or no effect.  We cannot perform oversight, cutoff funding for bad programs or hold people accountable.

Look back to the Reagan-Bush I years.  The Dems used their power as a majority party in the House and later Senate to investiagte things from lack of EPA enforcement to the Savings and Loan scandals.  There is a lot you can do IF YOU ARE IN THE MAJORITY.  YOU CAN DO NOTHING IN THE MINORITY.

Keep your eyes on the prize - a Dem Majority in 2006.

by John Mills 2006-03-27 05:06AM | 0 recs