IL-06 Thread

Updates (Chris): Click here for DuPage and here for Cook County.
  • With 470 of 521 precincts reporting, Duckworth leads 12,541--11,903.

• With 436 of 521 precincts reporting, Duckworth leads 11,650--11,142.

• With 394 of 521 precincts reporting, Duckworth leads 10,585--10,131. Still very close.

• Over at Hotline on Call, Joshua Green writes:It's nearing 11 PM in Illinois and with roughly 66 percent of the vote in, Dick Durbin looks about 66 less boisterous. This is a much closer race than expected. Duckworth and Cegelis are essentially running dead even in DuPage County (399 total precincts), and Duckworth has a slight lead in Cook County (130 precincts). Best estimates are that Duckworth has an overall lead of less than 400 votes. The media has finally picked up on the tension and every station is running live shots, the multiple floodlights collectively brightening the room by a good 5,623,421 watts. It's blissfully warm and, in the reigning local-TV cliche of the evening, "You can cut the tension with a knife!" Now back to you in the studio.
  • CQ Politics is now reporting 42.79% for Duckworth, 40.92% for Cegalis, with 64% reporting.

• With 279 of 399 reporting in DuPage, Duckworth now leads 7,501--7,489. Lordy, lordy. I don't know what the latest totals from Cook County are.

• Can I just say that, never in my entire time blogging eleciton returns, I have never seen more commenters, both here and at Dailykos, suggest bad election return websites? The amount of ineffective websites I have been directed towards is really stunning.

• With 56% reporitng overall, Hotline On Call reports a 43.2 to 41.3% lead for Duckworth. Still very close.

• With 237 of 399, Cegalis takes the lead in DuPage by 32 votes. I'm still having trouble finding a good Cook County site.

• OK, the Tribune page is indeed behind. With 193 of 399 reporting in DuPage, Duckworth leads by 20 votes. Not 20%, 20 votes. Duckworth leads by about 300 votes in Cook County, I believe. this is going to be a real nailbiter.

• With 26% reporting, Duckworth leads 43.86 to 39.67 , but I have just received a phone call that implies with around 48% reporting, it is a lot closer than that.

• With 6% reporting, it could hardly be closer. Duckworth leads 1,444 to 1,434. Lindy has a surprising (at least to me) 18.9% of the vote.

Josh Green has a post on the IL-06 election today.

Early word from the locals is to expect a late night: Cook County, which encompasses part of the sixth, has just switched over to touch screen and optical scan voting machines, and the training for precinct workers apparently left much to be desired. So while polls close at 7 p.m. Local time, results are privately expected to be much later than normal...possibly not till 11 p.m. Or later if the race is close.

Another possible factor: weather. In classic Chicago style it is cold, windy, and there's even a bit of snow. Not yet clear if that will affect voter turnout, or just the mood of certain DC correspondents in town for the race who took far too literally the news that today is the first day of spring.

Lots and lots of bitterness in district.  Use this as your open thread, and try to be nice.

Tags: Cristine Cegelis, IL-06, Tammy Duckworth (all tags)

Comments

good decision or price of The Fear?

I'm simply floored at how much time and energy DC invested against Cegelis. Considering the cost, will it have been worth it even if they do win?

by blogswarm 2006-03-21 01:02PM | 0 recs
True, it's a ton of money...

...but most of the expenditures were defining-the-candidate media/mail buys.  Stuff that can carry over into the general and thus maybe not constitute such a hellacious waste.

Actually could be useful to get that in peoples' heads before the deluge of sleaze from Roskam's camp hits.

by Daniel Biss 2006-03-21 01:39PM | 0 recs
Re: True, it's a ton of money...

It'd only be a waste if Duckworth goes down in flames in the primary.

by HellofaSandwich 2006-03-21 01:40PM | 0 recs
Nope

Do they really expect a lot of alienated opponents to pony up for Duckworth? That's why sticking their noses in primaries is bad. They will drive away a certain % of donors (and volunteers, etc...), which they will have to make up themselves.

A double loss.

By STFO (Staying the fuck out) they allow these fights to be resolved honestly, and with less sense of betrayal. Most people will quietly side with the winner, and things will go smoothly.

by ElitistJohn 2006-03-21 01:54PM | 0 recs
Re: True, it's a ton of money...

I agree 100% which is why I think that primaries can be good and I support early investment by candidates. Yet if the goal is the reasons you listed, instead of changing the candidate, then was the DCCC approach the most efficient means of achieving early positive impressions of the nominee?

by blogswarm 2006-03-21 01:47PM | 0 recs
Re: True, it's a ton of money...

Not at all, Bob, for Republican columnists are already calling Duckworth a "shameless interloper."  One of these columnists published his article in the Chicago Tribune.  I expect Duckworth will have to match Roskam's expenditures, and I imagine both parties will have to go for broke during the general campaign.  This, of course, will have to occur if Duckworth wins the primary.  If Cegelis wins, I imagine the state of affairs will be very different.

by illinois062006 2006-03-21 01:51PM | 0 recs
conflict of interest

One of the problems of playing in the primaries is that success in the primary means you had better win the general and face saving media buys don't come cheap. You're right, it could be very expensive.

by blogswarm 2006-03-21 01:55PM | 0 recs
The goal

most definitely wasn't the reasons I listed; the goal certainly was to change the candidate.  I'm just saying that the biproduct might be kind of good which is why I don't feel so nauseated by the money spent.

by Daniel Biss 2006-03-21 01:55PM | 0 recs
May the best candidate win

And I hope no matter who is the nominee, all bloggers can unite behind the Democrat, and help bring us one spot closer to ousting the corrupt Repulican majority.

by jkfp2004 2006-03-21 01:05PM | 0 recs
Re: May the best candidate win
Second that,
and I say that as a strong Cegelis supporter.
by adamterando 2006-03-21 01:13PM | 0 recs
Re: May the best candidate win

I hope the Democrats in the district unite around the winner. As for bloggers, I don't think there should be an expectation that bloggers will focus on anything other than what interests each individual blogger. I don't think the role of the blogosphere is to do what the DCCC should be doing. I hope the race progresses in a way so that bloggers are inspired to write positive things about the nominee (and dump crap on Roskam). My hope tonight is that Cegelas wins, my hope for the general is that the Democrats in the district unite.

by blogswarm 2006-03-21 01:19PM | 0 recs
Re: May the best candidate win

Third that.  Also as a strong Cegelis supporter.

I've pledged to match my contributions to Christine for whomever wins the primary (once my tax refund comes in, that is).

by Shrack 2006-03-21 01:31PM | 0 recs
Re: May the best candidate win

"once my tax refund comes in, that is."

If Bush had his way, the only way you would get a rebate is if you made over $500,000 a year.

by jkfp2004 2006-03-21 01:38PM | 0 recs
Re: IL-06 Thread
I don't think it will be a late night--the new machines they are using should actually speed up the process of counting votes--putting those damn votamatic cards through a machine is far harder than taking a memory chip and hooking it up for a minute or two.  Channel 5 will have live web coverage at 9 PM:
by archpundit 2006-03-21 01:38PM | 0 recs

Ya, about that...

by michael in chicago 2006-03-21 09:37PM | 0 recs
Re: IL-06 Thread

This is the same person who endorsed Duckworth.  Go figure.

by illinois062006 2006-03-21 10:59PM | 0 recs
Re: IL-06 Thread

And I hope all those Duckworth supporters will mobilize around Cegelis and highlight Cegelis's perserverance, courage, fortitude, professionalism, conviction, accessibility, authenticity, amiability, honesty and integrity.  I also hope her status as a citizen candidate with profound relations with her district, the netroots and the grassroots will be lauded online.  And maybe, just maybe, the blogs should have a discussion about campaign finance, races for the House, and the attempts of campaigns and of party organizations to shape and determine the conversations on blogs that present themselves as liberal or progressive.  For someone such as myself who believes the conversation on blogs is independent, this is a disappointment.  I was especially disappointed when I discovered that some bloggers were approached by the Duckworth campaign.  No, I am not accusing anyone in particular, and I do not know if anyone at this site was approached, but I do know some were approached.  This is a real concern, and I believe a transparent discussion about campaign involvement in our debates is overdue.

Yes, I voted today in my district, which is not the sixth district, but I hope Cegelis will join and tip the balance of the increasingly centrist Chicago delegation voters of my region send to the House.  That is my only investment in Cegelis's race: I live in the region; I do not understand why 3 members of the Chicagoland delegation voted for the reauthorization of the Patriot Act; and I believe we need a progressive and not a centrist in our delegation.  The progressive is Cegelis.

by illinois062006 2006-03-21 01:45PM | 0 recs
Re: IL-06 Thread

Some classy posts in this diary.  Let's hope the trend continues.

We've had some nasty primary fights waged on the internet this year, with Brown/Hackett, Cegelis/Duckworth, and over on dkos I see some fundraising allegations being tossed back and forth in the Brown/Whitehouse primary in RI.  I guess this sort of thing is unavoidable when passionate Democrats, all with the same goal of a Democratic majority, start butting heads over whose approach is best.

What some of you may not realize is that there is a silent majority out here in the netroots that gets a little scared at these intra-party flame wars, and wishes both sides would stay cool and keep the focus on defeating Republicans in November.  We get wary of poking our heads into these discussions because both sides are liable to bite those heads off.

But all we really care about is that once the primary is over, we all need to be able to unite behind the winner, period.  I hope that will be the case in this important district.

by Steve M 2006-03-21 02:42PM | 0 recs
Re: IL-06 Thread

Don't worry about your voice being heard, that is why we have the DSCC and DCCC. The fun thing is that other voices are now also heard.

by blogswarm 2006-03-21 03:15PM | 0 recs
Election site link please...

If i'm correct it started 15 minutes ago...

by Liberal 2006-03-21 03:14PM | 0 recs
Re: Election site link please...

For Illinois 06, there are two sites:

http://www.dupageresults.com/results/200 6_03_results/dem-1.htm

http://www.voterinfonet.com/results/0321 06/Summary_Report.mhtml

I do not know if any one site has a grand total for the district.

by illinois062006 2006-03-21 03:17PM | 0 recs
Re: Election site link please...

Here is the link for DuPage results, the Cook County minority of the district sounds like it will come in late. Soapblox Chicago should have stuff, also check out Lynn Sweet's blog for the Chicago Sun-Times.

And nationally, SSP and Hotline on Call and CQ and of course the front page here.

by blogswarm 2006-03-21 03:20PM | 0 recs
IL is in the Central time zone right one hour

later than the eastern?

by Liberal 2006-03-21 03:19PM | 0 recs
Re: IL is in the Central time zone right one hour

Yes, we're just one hour behind the East Coast ...

by Maven 2006-03-21 05:05PM | 0 recs
Hm.. fun guess is that Lind Scott

wins and the Cegelis and Duckworth people are stunned...

by Liberal 2006-03-21 03:26PM | 0 recs
re: Fun guess is that Lind Scott

Stunned would be one way of describing it though I'm sure it would be easier for both the Cegelis and Duckworth campaigns to move and support the winner.

by lisadawn82 2006-03-21 03:42PM | 0 recs
Cook County Board President

Any word on Claypool v. Stroger? Took a strange turn of events with Stroger's stroke.

My four-year old son wanted me to vote for "Gerald Ford" today. Don't ask why. He just liked the name from his Presidential placemat. As usual, he came into the "booth" with me today in Evanston and enjoyed watching me use the new touch screen machines. Can't start the civic education too early, I guess. He was an Obama supporter before I was...

by elrod 2006-03-21 04:14PM | 0 recs
Re: IL-06 Thread

Turnout has been miserable.  I can only assume this is being caused by the lack of exciting races.

(I know this goes against the common logic -- but when you eliminate the Cegalis/Duckworth race, and the Claypool/Stroger race, what you are left with is the usual local ballot measure stuff.)

In my precinct, voter turnout may be a record (low).

by PageUp 2006-03-21 04:27PM | 0 recs
streaming radio

WBEZ - public radio.

by blogswarm 2006-03-21 04:48PM | 0 recs
Re: streaming radio

Sonari Glinton, who is currently reporting on the Cook County races on NPR Chicago, is a very close friend.

by illinois062006 2006-03-21 04:52PM | 0 recs

First Dupage Results Cegelis 560 Duckworth 558 and other guy 308

by politics64 2006-03-21 04:59PM | 0 recs
They are calling it For Blago.

So the Govenor is going on to the general no surprize.

by Liberal 2006-03-21 05:41PM | 0 recs
Voters don't want DC Elitist candidate

Check out the latest DuPage results:

http://www.dupageresults1.com/results/20 06_03_results/dem-1.htm

Christine Cegelis  5174  41.65%
Lindy Scott 2048  16.48%
L. Tammy Duckworth  5194 41.81%

I sure there is no reason to be concerned with late results coming from Cook County in a tight race against a grassroots candidate.

by blogswarm 2006-03-21 06:11PM | 0 recs
and a flip
Christine Cegelis  6107  42.05%
Lindy Scott  2329  16.04%
L. Tammy Duckworth  6075  41.83%
by blogswarm 2006-03-21 06:22PM | 0 recs
Re: and a flip

Out of how many % of Precients counted?

by Liberal 2006-03-21 06:28PM | 0 recs
Re: and a flip

59%

by ben114 2006-03-21 06:30PM | 0 recs
Re: IL-06 Thread

Looks like (unless the remaining precincts are very lopsided a la Bexar or Webb in the Tx-28) that a recount is likely...32 vote difference. Anyone know what the recount laws are like in Illnois [insert Mayor Daley joke here]?

by ben114 2006-03-21 06:25PM | 0 recs
Re: IL-06 Thread

Wow...it doesn't get any closer.

by howardpark 2006-03-21 06:30PM | 0 recs
Re: IL-06 Thread

"I'm still having trouble finding a good Cook County site."

If you can find a good Cook County site, I think you also have x-ray vision, can leap buildings in a single bound...and you win a pony.

It's so bad.

by Politicalhack06 2006-03-21 06:31PM | 0 recs

70% in...12 vote lead for Duckworth

Christine Cegelis DEM 7489 41.44%
Lindy Scott DEM 3068 16.98%
L. Tammy Duckworth DEM 7501 41.51%
Write-in Votes  14 0.08%

by ben114 2006-03-21 06:35PM | 0 recs

and another flip

by blogswarm 2006-03-21 06:38PM | 0 recs
Re: IL-06 Thread

This is crazy. Exciting, but crazy.

by JackBourassa 2006-03-21 06:39PM | 0 recs
This better not go into a recount...

by Liberal 2006-03-21 06:41PM | 0 recs
Re: This better not go into a recount...

Chicago Public Radio just had on a lady who said she was a poll worker in the Cook County section of IL-06 talking about all kinds of voting machine problems. Machines didn't work so the ballot sat unscanned all day and are now being "centrally tabulated" (back in Chicago????).

by blogswarm 2006-03-21 06:45PM | 0 recs
Re: IL-06 Thread

Watching ABC and don't understand by they are still fawning over Duckworth given that she's ONLY up 12 votes. What is the media thinking?

by peacenik23 2006-03-21 06:44PM | 0 recs
Re: IL-06 Thread

Are there run-offs in this election? Does a candidate have to win 50% or a certain percentage of the vote?

by JackBourassa 2006-03-21 06:47PM | 0 recs
Re: IL-08

McSweeney wins and will face Bean in November.

Locally, I think republicans are more attached to Salvi, but the Salvi's have made it a family tradition to lose elections.

McSweeney will be very, very well funded and will be able to match Bean dollar for dollar.  Bean has had a big head about her ability to raise money but she will find she has no advantage in November.  (Bean even made an ill-advised "bring it on" type comment after announcing how much money she had raised.)

So we will have two candidates who want to make the tax cuts permenent, both are pro-war, both favor business over labor.  Bean is somewhat pro-choice versus McSweeney, but does this really matter in the House?

by PageUp 2006-03-21 06:48PM | 0 recs

There are lots of judgeships that go through the house.

by jkfp2004 2006-03-21 07:08PM | 0 recs
Overall IL-06

9447 Duckworth
8942 Cegelis
3572 Scott

with 56/127 in from Cook.

and 299/394 in from DuPage.

by RBH 2006-03-21 06:51PM | 0 recs
Re: Overall IL-06

294/399 in from DuPage.

And 5 more from Cook moves Duckworth up to a 520 vote lead

by RBH 2006-03-21 06:54PM | 0 recs

From Hotline OnCall:

"One bit of anecdotal reporting from Cook County, however, may bode well for Duckworth, though it's admittedly a bit of a bank shot. The big story in Chicago this week is that longtime president of the Cook County Board of Commisioners, John Stroger, suffered a serious stroke, too late to be replaced on the ballot. This has provided an opening for his Democratic primary challenger, Forrest Claypool. In fact, Stroger, a classic and none-too-beloved machine pol, is so unpopular among Republicans that--again, anecdotally--it's said that a number of Cook County Republicans have asked for Democratic ballots to vote for Claypool and ensure that Stroger doesn't come back. And the bankshot for Duckworth: Republicans love vets."

by DaveB 2006-03-21 07:14PM | 0 recs
Duckwroth vs. Cegelis

Cegelis would need about 80% of the remaining vote, so says a poster on Kos.  If that's true, it's going to be hard for her to win.

by jkfp2004 2006-03-21 07:16PM | 0 recs
Updated results

DuPage (374 of 399 in):

10018 Duckworth
 9906 Cegelis
 3944 Scott

Cook (62 of 127 in):

1632 Duckworth
1236 Cegelis
 421 Scott

Total (83% in):

Duckworth leads by 508 votes, 11650 to 11142

by RBH 2006-03-21 07:19PM | 0 recs
Re: IL-06 Thread

With such a close election a recount might be legally mandated. if that is the case it can only injure the Demoocratic candinate. If Duckworth truly does care about the district, the party and the country she should concede and withdraw in favor of Cegelis.

Why?
  1) Duckworth is a carpetbagger she doesn't even live in the district.
  2) Cegelis is obviously the better campaigner. With all of the extra money that was given to her ( whereas Cegelis had to raise her own) plus the institional support of the local party apperachek coupled with the support of all of the big name D's she couldn't even come up with a clean win. This shows an ineptitude as a campaigner and shows Cegelis is better. for the sake of another seat on the D's side of the aisle Emmanuel, durbin and the rest should convince the creature of thier craetion ( duckworth) to withdraw and support Cegelis.

by Rational 2006-03-21 07:19PM | 0 recs
Re: IL-06 Thread

How does a recount hurt anybody?

by RBH 2006-03-21 07:21PM | 0 recs
Re: IL-06 Thread

So if Duckworth gets more votes that Cegelis (Which seems likely.) she should concede to Cegelis? Sorry don't see the logic there for the record i am a Cegelis supporter with doubts about her.

by Liberal 2006-03-21 07:25PM | 0 recs
Re: IL-06 Thread

She was supposed to have this massive 20% point lead over Cegelis and basically totally crush her in this primary. Duckworth doesn't look to be heading for anything better than a real squeaker and that's with the full weight of the DCCC, HRC, Obama, Durbin, Kerry, tons of free media and having out spent Cegelis by what's said to be 6 or 7 to 1.

That's massive, massive establishment, institutional, and funding thrown behind Duckworth and she can't do any better than a squeaker?

While I don't expect her to concede to Cegelis if she manages to eke out a win, one can certainly see who the better candidate really is and it could be reasonably argued that the selfless thing to do for the party would be for Duckworth to concede to Cegelis on that basis and throw the support she's bought behind Cegelis for the general to better our chances of actually winning the seat.

by Quinton 2006-03-21 10:32PM | 0 recs
Re: IL-06 Thread

Sorry buddy this is devoid of logic.  If you get more votes, you should NOT concede.  Just ask Al Gore.

by jkfp2004 2006-03-21 07:31PM | 0 recs
Re: IL-06 Thread

I'm sorry, but this is just asinine. the person who got more votes (assuming that Duckworth wins) should be the one to drop out? what planet do you live in?

by johnny longtorso 2006-03-21 07:33PM | 0 recs
Re: IL-06 Thread

I was about to write a lengthy post pointing out just how silly this is... but, sometimes there is beauty in simplicity.

This is just silly.

by Politicalhack06 2006-03-21 07:34PM | 0 recs
More DuPage

393 of 399 in

10511-10369 Duckworth in DuPage

And Duckworth leads by 538 in total. 42.9 to 41.0

by RBH 2006-03-21 07:22PM | 0 recs
Here's what I am afraid of:

I have no dog in this race, but it's going to be hard to imagine either side's supporters not being butthurt about how things went in the primary.  I am ALL for primaries because they help hone skills and campaign experience for the general, but there is certainly going to be bad blood here.  So much so that we probably won't win the general.

If Duckworth was so ambitious and was such a good candidate and doesn't even live in the district, then Emanuel should have founf another district for her to run in.

by jgarcia 2006-03-21 07:27PM | 0 recs
Re: IL-06 Thread

people that win elections rarely concede. Nor should Duckworth. She has a responsibility to those (a plurality) who voted for her to go into the general election. It doesn't matter how much money each one had. The person who is the choice of the IL-6 Democrats to represent them in the general election should do that.

by Majority Report 2006-03-21 07:28PM | 0 recs
Re: IL-06 Thread

This is obviously someone who cannot see beyond the corruption, power and lies inflecting duckworth's campaign.  Cegelis won this election, and the votes have not yet been counted.  And Democratic money was wasted on ousting a Democratic candidate who clearly had broad support before the media was bought to undermine Cegelis.  Get a clue.

by illinois062006 2006-03-21 10:56PM | 0 recs
IL-01 results

106 of 199 precincts in

Rush - 4833 (54%)
Phillip Jackson - 4040 (46%)

Yeah, that's surprisingly close

by RBH 2006-03-21 07:28PM | 0 recs
Re: IL-01 results

whistles to self

yeah.. apparently Cook and Chicago run different sites.

And Chicago's site is sloooow

by RBH 2006-03-21 07:36PM | 0 recs
Re: IL-01 results

Any reason that is very odd...

by Liberal 2006-03-21 07:40PM | 0 recs
Re: IL-06 Thread

After a brief check on westlaw: 10 ILCS 5/7-63 (West 1998) "provides that any candidate whose name appears upon the primary ballot of any political party may contest the election of an opposing candidate nominated for the same office by filing a written petition with the clerk of the circuit court within 10 days after the completion of the canvass of the final returns by the canvassing board."  Graham v. Reid, 779 N.E.2d 391, 393 (IL 2002).

by DaveB 2006-03-21 07:42PM | 0 recs
Re: IL-06 Thread

I find it interesting that a candinate that by any objective measurement is the poorer candinate, besides not even living in the district, should decide that she should hold the party ransom for her failure to take advantage of all of the money, institional support and endorsements.

With a 2% margin before the recount it would be inaccurate to claim that Duckworth truly has aicheved a plurality. As the Washington state governors race has shown margins that slim are not to be trusted.

On a side note having grown up in Chicago I find it difficult to trust the competence of any politician with so much institional support to fail to win a clean majority.

All those things coupled together do not bode well for the D's if Duckworth stubbornly decides that her ego is more important then the party putting forth the stronger candinate, which is obviously the citizen of the district Cegelis.

Carpetbaggers are a long shot espiacially when they can't even show strong support in the district they are trying to represent in absenctia

by Rational 2006-03-21 07:44PM | 0 recs
The ONLY "objective measure"

Is the will of the voters.

by OfficeOfLife 2006-03-21 07:54PM | 0 recs
Re: The ONLY "objective measure"

Too bad the will was manipulated by $600,000, a coordinated media buy by the DLC and the Democratic machine, and by the overly discussed story of Ladda "Tammy" Duckworth.

by illinois062006 2006-03-21 10:58PM | 0 recs
For the Love of God

Would they count the votes already!!!  I've got work tomorrow.

by lisadawn82 2006-03-21 07:44PM | 0 recs
Re: For the Love of God

If you waiting for IL-06 you might as well go to sleep now it is going to be a recount i can tell.

by Liberal 2006-03-21 07:50PM | 0 recs
Darn

It's gonna be hard to sleep that's for sure.

by lisadawn82 2006-03-21 07:55PM | 0 recs
Re: IL-06 Thread

There will probably be a recount, and there should be.  For Cook County was very disorganized tonight.

by illinois062006 2006-03-21 07:52PM | 0 recs

Dumb question.

Is there a runoff if nobody gets 50%?

by v2aggie2 2006-03-21 07:57PM | 0 recs
Re: IL-06 Thread

There are no run-offs, and there are 526 precincts in District 6, not 521.

by illinois062006 2006-03-21 07:58PM | 0 recs