Media Censure Poll Watch

After being subjected to hundreds of stories over the last four days about how Feingold's censure resolution was causing disarray within the Democratic caucus, how any Democrat who supported the resolution would face severe political repercussions, how the propect of censure was firing up the Republican base, and how few Americans supported censure, I am now officially starting the "Media Censure Poll Watch." Now there is a scientifically valid poll showing that a plurality of Americans support censure, and that only 57% of Republican oppose censure, I want to see how many news stories are written about this poll.

Here is the current media censure poll watch as of 1:30 pm, 3/16: Let's see how many news outlets are willing to actually report on facts and scientific surveys of public opinion on this story, and how many are just willing to write stories filled with "truthiness" and anecdotes.

This poll needs to be spread far and wide, by the SCLM probably won't even touch it. Let's start spreading this story around by calling our senators and telling them about it.

Update: (3:00 pm): Since the first search, stories on Feingold censure have jumped by 30, while stories on "American Research Group" censure have increased by one. The one new outlet to report on the ARG poll was Raw Story. The 30 outlet outlets to report on censure but not on the poll have mainly focused on a pres release where lame-duck Mark Dayton, who is so unpopular he isn't even running for re-election, blasts Feingold. Outlets reporting on the Dayton pres release include:West Central Tribune, MN, Janesville Gazette, WI , Fort Wayne Journal Gazette, IN, The State, SC, Fort Worth Star Telegram, TX, Macon Telegraph, GA, Biloxi Sun Herald,, Myrtle Beach Sun News, SC, Grand Forks Herald, ND, Monterey County Herald, CA, Kentucky.com, KY, Columbus Ledger-Enquirer, GA, Duluth News Tribune, MN, Bradenton Herald, Contra Costa Times, CA, Centre Daily Times, PA, Belleville News-Democrat, IL San Luis Obispo Tribune, CA, Kansas City Star, MO, and Pioneer Press, MN I can't possibly dig up email addresses for all of these papers, but I would suggest everyone here choosing one paper at random and sending that paper an email informing it of the ARG poll. You would think that telling their readers what the entire country thinks of the censure resolution would be at least as important as telling them what one lame-duck Senator thinks of it, right?

Tags: Censure, Media, polls (all tags)

Comments

Re: Media Censure Poll Watch

Wouldn't it be cool, to do statistics, on the people who do statistics?

by turnerbroadcasting 2006-03-16 09:17AM | 0 recs
Re: Media Censure Poll Watch

I've pushed our crew at FDL to hit the phones with this poll, and though I have credibility there, one can only do so much from Haloscan.

Jane may do more later, I'm guessing.

by Pachacutec 2006-03-16 09:19AM | 0 recs
Dear Senator

Dear Senator DeWine:

Thank you for your reply to my inquiry regarding the censure motion by Senator Feingold.

While I respectfully disagree with your stated position, I greatly appreciate your willingness (or that of your staff) to respond in a forthright manner.

May I please direct your attention to a recent telephone poll of 1100 adults, nationwide, conducted by the American Research Group? Polls being what they are, I'm certain it is only one of a range of indicators of present thought and opinion by the electorate.

However, I encourage you and your staff to hold an open and inclusive dialog with members of your constituency, beyond your donor base. You may be surprised by what you find.

Regards,
GuyFromOhio

by GuyFromOhio 2006-03-16 09:21AM | 0 recs
Re: Media Censure Poll Watch

Don't forget that The Political Dogfight has a 430+ live email link media list onsite in the left nav column.

Drive the story into all the news outlets.

Good call, Chris!

by BigDog 2006-03-16 09:51AM | 0 recs
Re: Media Censure Poll Watch

Yahoo News Search lists 1,709 news stories, etc.

by onhoth2o 2006-03-16 10:15AM | 0 recs
Re: Media Censure Poll Watch

Nobody who was planning to vote Democratic in 2006 is gonna suddenly switch to voting Republican because of being "aghast" at censure.  Just like the GOP didn't suffer amongst their voters in 2000 to the present for the impeachment of Clinton.  Quite the contrary:  when your base is passionate about something and needs an affirmation of resolve, it's perilous to not take a stand on something like this.

Though I believe that HRC is the most electable and will win the nomination, this resolution by Feingold is making me think twice and lean towards supporting him.

by jgarcia 2006-03-16 11:17AM | 0 recs
Senator Salazar's constituent reply on censure

To get another example of the fine, ambivalent line Democrats are walking on censure I'm pasted below an email reply to my request for support of Feingold from my state's (Colorado) Democratic Senator, Ken Salazar. Here's his message:

"Thank you for contacting me regarding Senator Feingold's resolution to censure the President concerning warrantless wiretaps.

I believe that warrantless spying on Americans is extremely serious. I also believe that Congress must insist on collecting all of the facts about any warrantless spying program and thoroughly accounting for precisely what actions were taken by the Administration before considering other action.

Censure of an American president has occurred only once in our history, back in the early days of our Republic, when Andrew Jackson was President.

Thank you again for writing.

Sincerely,

Ken Salazar
United States Senator"

Salazar neither affirms nor denies support for censure, but suggests it's a bad idea in being done only once before.  To me the surprise is that he does not outright reject censure. others might readit differently.

by history prof 2006-03-16 12:44PM | 0 recs
Re: Senator Salazar's constituent reply on censure

It says nothing.

Keep up the pressure on your Senators!  Call and write to your Senators each day.  We are not looking for a vote on the resolution at this point.  We are just asking each Senator to take a firm position either WITH Feingold or AGAINST Feingold.  Which are the Senators who support the Law and which support the Lawbreaker?  If they can't seem to decide whether the issue is important enough to discuss on the Senate floor, maybe being Senator is not really their calling.

by pascal1947 2006-03-16 03:18PM | 0 recs
Re: Media Censure Poll Watch

Chris,

I'm not sure if you saw the latest poll on censure from Rasmussen:

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/2006/Mar ch%20Dailies/Censure.htm

Note that the poll question is critical.  It only asks whether people favor censure because Bush authorized the NSA wiretap surveillance program - without any reference to whether it might violate FISA.  Kind of a problem to gauge accurate opinion, no?

by GreenlaborMike 2006-03-17 05:29AM | 0 recs
Re: Media Censure Poll Watch

Chris

Tom Oliphant mentioned the ARG poll on the PBS NewsHour tonight. Interestingly, Jim Lehrer didn't seem aware of it.

by msn1 2006-03-17 05:23PM | 0 recs