LA-2: Election Day

It seems like only yesterday we were throwing the corrupt bums out of office.  Today the people of LA-2 have a chance to add another name to the litter while letting the FBI sort 'em out.  Whatever your feelings are about Karen Carter (and despite some local blogger protestations, I like her), the people of this district deserve better than Congressman Jefferson.  But honestly, whatever happens today, the Saints play the Cowboys tomorrow night on national television and I get the sense a whole hell of a lot more people down here care more about that result than the one this evening.

Frankly, recovering from the storm and the flood is going to take a lot more leadership than one representative can bring to the table.  If we are to choose a path different than outright neglect it's going to have to come from someone with a bit more cache: presidential candidates maybe -- an incoming Speaker of the House.  That said, I emailed all of the presidential candidate staffs about their bosses plans/committment to recovery in the region and only a few have responded (Dodd, Vilsack, Bayh, Kerry, and Richardson).  The incoming Speaker's office was also prompt with information.  It's one of the follow-up pieces I'll have early next week in order to give time to the rest of the field to respond.

Here are some notes to keep on eye on this evening: 1.) There are rumors that some members of the CBC have sent staffers down to help Jefferson.  I'll try and see what I can dig up on that.  2.) East Bank turnout vs. West Bank turnout and how many votes Carter is able to syphon away from the other side of the river.  3.) The racial divide.  4.) Are we going to see busses bringing people in to vote from outside the district.  If we do in large numbers, advantage Jefferson.  5.) How many people stay both stay at home/vote for Jefferson in the hopes at getting another crack at him in two years, or sooner if he's no longer able to serve.

Finally, a question to you about how to cover the returns.  I don't think the Carter campaign party is going to have internet access so there are two choices: Stay in my hotel room with immediate access to numbers and ability to update (or) go to the party, leave you to your own devices, and get photos and video up from the rally late night or tomorrow after my flight lands.  Thoughts?

Tags: Hurricane Katrina, karen carter, LA-2, William Jefferson (all tags)

Comments

Go to the party.

This contest is important but the results don't require any kind of instant analysis and won't tilt anything one way or another. 24 hours of perspective is more valuable than live-blogging IMHO.

by joejoejoe 2006-12-09 03:48AM | 0 recs
Re: LA-2: Election Day

Yep, go to the party and have fun.   God knows there will be enough of us here (and there) who obsess on every election and will sleuth out our own info.   ;)

by jhlinko 2006-12-09 04:16AM | 0 recs
Re: LA-2: Election Day

Everyone can track returns as they come in at the Times-Picayune website:

http://www.nola.com/elections/1209_retur ns.ssf

Returns should start coming in after 8pm.

by joejoejoe 2006-12-09 11:03AM | 0 recs

Go to the party!

Thanks for the emails to the staffers - I look forward to your post and encourage you to keep bringing this back to tactics we can do.

I'll be voting for Karen today - everyone I spoke with claims the same. Since our new poll place is located in crack-central, we'll be a taxi service for anyone who needs a lift.

by lb0313 2006-12-09 04:02AM | 0 recs
Re: LA-2: Election Day

Party! Get pictures, video and good stories. I'm crossing my fingers for a big win for Carter.

by Jill Tubman 2006-12-09 04:53AM | 0 recs
While John Edwards is not a candidate ...

... at a moment, he was asked about Katrina for the podcast recorded at about the time of the Anniversary. The Katrina question is the first one addressed in the podcast, after some preliminary suff.

There was also a generic appeal that I believe went in late August to his email newsletter and podcast.

by BruceMcF 2006-12-09 05:28AM | 0 recs
Re: LA-2: Election Day

Party.  We can get immediate results elsewhere, but I'm curious to see a) who shows up at her party b) how big it is and c) what people (including Karen) say.

by Go Vegetarian 2006-12-09 05:29AM | 0 recs
Re: LA-2: Election Day

Wow, you seemed so confident yesterday. Did something happen?

by raginillinoian 2006-12-09 05:38AM | 0 recs
Re: LA-2: Election Day

Party, but call me with results so I can post them.

by Matt Stoller 2006-12-09 05:49AM | 0 recs
Re: LA-2: Election Day
u can set up your computer in the ballroom. see u there
rjh
by nolarussell 2006-12-09 06:09AM | 0 recs
Re: LA-2: Election Day

Go to the party.  We can wait.

by Tim Hendricks 2006-12-09 06:47AM | 0 recs
Re: LA-2: Election Day

Go to the party.  No doubt.

by DrAsh 2006-12-09 06:48AM | 0 recs
Re: LA-2: Election Day

We sent you $ to do a job !

So Party on Dude

by Organic George 2006-12-09 06:51AM | 0 recs
Good Luck Tim.
I think it might be more satisfying to be around people imo, so enjoy the Party.
Any Key Precincts that would indicate a trend, other than the Left/Right Bank issue?
by Predictor 2006-12-09 08:02AM | 0 recs

Tim,

For something like $100 a month, Verizon offers a satellite connection to the Internet.  You just plug a length of wire (about 2 feet) into your laptop and you're on.

by global yokel 2006-12-09 08:14AM | 0 recs
Re: LA-2: Election Day

speaking as someone who has seen satellite phones/ and modems you're probably getting caught up in a little error.

Verizon has divided the nation up into cellular grids and offers a 3G data service off that grid, for about 100.00 a month.

The tower companies have already built out new orleans. in fact, I think they have built out a WiMax network over the entire area since the hurricane.

So, cingular/Bellsouth is another option there as well but if Verizon service is truly satellite service you will need a very funky looking antenna - the wavelength for the satellite phones requires a long one not the standard cellphone

are you looking at the kit? does it have a cellular (small) or satellite (big) antenna

by heyAnita 2006-12-09 08:27AM | 0 recs
Re: LA-2: Election Day

go for the party & pictures.

best of luck

by areyouonthelist 2006-12-09 09:26AM | 0 recs
Re: LA-2: Election Day

I think a capn coke in one hand and a cell phone in the other makes the most sense.

Thanks for the coverage, good luck!

Also, thanks to everyone who helped out on this, from a Karen Carter thank you letter:

Because of your help, we have been able to build the resources we need to get our message to the voters.

So thanks everyone!

by Bob Brigham 2006-12-09 10:09AM | 0 recs
Re: LA-2: Election Day
Go to the party.  My sources inside the city say that the inside scoop is that the battle is between the Black caucus, sending funds down to Jeff's GOTV efforts and the Nancy Pelosi folks sending money to Karen Carter's efforts to GOTV.
All my sources pulling for Karen but the truth is who knows what's going on on the other side of the city.  The night will tell.  Tim did you ever have a chance to talk to Clancy Dubos? It  was his feeling that the black voters were becoming much more independent than they had been.  Well we'll see.  Thanks for all you do.
by ruthhmiller 2006-12-09 11:47AM | 0 recs
Low Turnout In LA-2

I just posted a story on the low turnout in LA-2 along with a link on possible live video streaming tonight from WWL.

Low Turnout In LA-2