Edwards To Announce From Lower Ninth Ward in NOLA

Of all the candidates potentially running for the Democratic nomination, John Edwards is uniquely positioned to work storm and flood recovery into his central message.

Edwards, the former North Carolina senator, has decided he can and is planning to announce his campaign in New Orleans between Christmas and New Year's, two Democrats said.

Edwards' novel choice of sites shows how he wants to distinguish his candidacy: emphasizing policies he believes can unite a country divided by economic inequality, a situation no more evident than in the city's Lower Ninth Ward, still recovering from Hurricane Katrina.

It's quite obvious that leadership on the issue of recovery was more than one representative has the ability to handle -- especially if that person is William Jefferson.  Only a real committment from the incoming majority can deliver the resources needed to "re-cover, re-build, and re-New Orleans." Getting post-k to re-emerge as part of national consciousness is an essential first step, and there are few outside of the presidential arena positioned well enough to do just that.

Tags: 2008 Primary, Hurricane Katrina (all tags)

Comments

Lower Ninth Ward in NOLA

I wonder where the Edwards campaign will be based.  Raleigh or Des Moines.

by Vox Populi 2006-12-16 02:02PM | 0 recs
Re: Lower Ninth Ward in NOLA

Both ... when campaigning in NH/SC/NJ it will be convenient to have an eastern base of operations, and when campaigning in IA/NV/MO/AR it will be convenient to have a midwestern base of operations.

Mind you, just speculating.

by BruceMcF 2006-12-16 02:35PM | 0 recs
Re: Lower Ninth Ward in NOLA

Edwards should not run, he was already nominated and lost.  He should do what Al Gore did and realize he cannot be elected. John Edwards cannot even win his own home state. (thats why he is announcing in N.O)

The lower 9th ward announcement is a political stunt.

by vamonticello 2006-12-16 06:38PM | 0 recs
HQ Location

Will be in Chapel Hill, NC.

by KickinIt 2006-12-17 07:11PM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards To Announce From Lower Ninth

While Iraq will certainly be a huge issue in the race for 2008, it doesn't seem like there will be a lot of unique positions among the group of main contenders. The consensus seems to be "phased redeployment."

Other than Iraq, what I see as the biggest problem facing America is the unfathomable, disproportionately huge amount of interest that large corporations have been wielding over government policy. We've seen tax policies and corporate welfare legislation that have been working to destroy the middle class, and energy policies working to destroy the government.

Hillary Clinton and the DLC Dems haven't shown any willingness to stand up to the influence of big business. I see Hillary as ushering in 8 more years of Bill Clinton policy, which did little to prohibit the slide toward favoring business at the expense of the individual.

Obama hasn't been overwhelmingly impressive in this area either, and while I'd be inclined to support him because of his extreme popularity and media savvy, I'll be firmly in the Edwards camp until he proves himself to me as a fighter for the middle class.

New Orleans is a great location for Edwards to begin his campaign, and I hope his announcement gets the coverage it deserves.

by Max Fletcher 2006-12-16 02:08PM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards To Announce From Lower Ninth

I would be happy with 8 more years of Bill Clinton policy.

by robliberal 2006-12-16 03:22PM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards To Announce From Lower Ninth

In comparison with what we've had the last 8 years, sure. But given the choice, I'd much rather have a progressive standardbearer for our party.

by Max Fletcher 2006-12-16 03:37PM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards To Announce From Lower Ninth

To clarify, I'm just worried about Hillary or Obama's willingness to take a tough stance against a potential Republican Congress, much like Clinton in the 90s (triangulation, or centrism for the sake of maintaining personal popularity).

by Max Fletcher 2006-12-16 03:44PM | 0 recs
Eight years of Bill Clinton policy?

That would be sheer torture, wouldn't it?

(Note to Boston Public Television: I'm kidding).

by stevehigh 2006-12-16 02:16PM | 0 recs
Nice touch
It can't hurt to have someone of Edwards' prominence spotlighting our issues. Hell, at this point nothing could really hurt all that much. There ain't much more down to go.

If John wants to pursue this he should follow up by touring the forgotten victims -- the Mississippi gulf coasters and the rural people who were abandoned while power lines were shredded over more than ten thousand square miles and all the resources were going to the harder hit areas.

And mentioning that Florida or the Carolinas could be next wouldn't be detrimental.

by localroger 2006-12-16 02:27PM | 0 recs
Re: Nice touch

I hope Edwards goes across the state line to Mississippi as part of his announcement as well. His announcement will shed some light on the area since the national media and "government" has pretty much forgotten about it.

by robliberal 2006-12-16 03:24PM | 0 recs
Imagine contrast between Edwards and Bush in NOLA

Bush showed up in the middle of the night, had his people set up a lighted scene (in the middle of a city that had no power) and told a bunch of bald-faced lies about how he would help the people of New Orleans.

Contrast that with Edwards, in the middle of the day, with the still-devastated ruins of New Orleans behind him, speaking about those who have been forgotten, how the American people deserve better than this and how America, as a nation, will again prove itself to be better than this.

by MeanBoneII 2006-12-16 02:27PM | 0 recs
Re: Imagine contrast between Edwards and Bush

Also, that John took a few hundred college kids with him for Spring Break to help with clean-up.

by catchawave 2006-12-16 02:49PM | 0 recs
Edwards has a caring for the people of Katrina.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/forallofus/ 123343159/
by dk2 2006-12-16 02:39PM | 0 recs
Lower Ninth Ward in NOLA

I think regardless of Edwards' political success, I'm glad at least one candidate is talking about poverty, and focusing on the Katrina disaster.  Edwards has been to NOLA more than any other candidate and has a real grasp of poverty issues.

by Vox Populi 2006-12-16 02:42PM | 0 recs
Lower Ninth Ward in NOLA

Edwards is the only candidate expected to actually run that has a significant netroots appeal.  Aside from Gore, who almost certainly won't run, and Clark, who probably won't, Edwards is the most progressive, labor-friendly, people-power focused candidate in the field.

He also remains the only candidate who voted FOR the war (out of Kerry, Clinton, and Biden) who has said publically it was a bad decision.  Kerry of course rides the fence and said that based on the information at the time it was the right decision, but in retrospect not.  Edwards says it was plain wrong.

by Vox Populi 2006-12-16 03:07PM | 0 recs
Re: Lower Ninth Ward in NOLA

Don't get ahead of yourself, there. The only one with netroots appeal?

The only one who was a co-sponsor of the Iraq was resolution, too. Hooray! And the only one who admitted that his political misjudgment prevailed over what was best for the country. Great. There's something that appeals to the netroots.

I think he is a good man, a good candidate, with good potential in the netroots department.

But don't get carried away. Not sure of your defintion of "expected to actually run" but the fact is that Obama and Clark have big support in the netroots, too.

Maybe we should get over trying to apply 2004 to 2008. In 2004 there was a big banner carrier for the netroots, Dean. But the netroots itself has changed and grown since then and the layout of the issues and the candidates is much different now, too.

by demondeac 2006-12-17 09:08AM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards To Announce From Lower Ninth Ward in N

This is very significant.

by Matt Stoller 2006-12-16 03:48PM | 0 recs
I'm an Obama partisan...

But this is a very smart decision.

by Ramo 2006-12-16 03:54PM | 0 recs
Re: I'm an Obama partisan...

There are a few candidates (and non-candidates) for whom I would eagerly vote.  Edwards, Obama, Clark, and Gore are the main ones.  Gore is the top choice.  Edwards, with his continued and truly genuine care for these matters, continues to move up in the ranks.  Obama is slowly moving down with his triangulating.  He's still in the top ranks because it's clear he's a great candidate, but some of the rhetoric really is astoundingly mushy and just plain bad.

The rest of the democratic field I am just not that interested in, but I'd happily vote for them, too.  All the other democratic candidates reside here.  Kerry and the rest.  Clinton is at the low end of the spectrum.

There is not a single Republican canditate for whom I would yet willingly vote.

by pseudo999 2006-12-16 10:12PM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards To Announce From Lower Ninth Ward

If this is true, I like it.

by rikyrah 2006-12-16 04:22PM | 0 recs
Not only the place but the time

I don't ever remembering a presidential announcement coming in the dead week between Christmas and New Year. I think he caught the other campaigns flat-footed.

by stevehigh 2006-12-16 04:55PM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards To Announce From Lower Ninth Ward in N
Like Ramo, I am for Obama.  But, I do wish Edwards luck.  And I do hope he can bring attention to the national disgrace that is the recovery of Katrina.  It is the unreported taint of what this nation has devolved to.  This never would have happened before 2000.  In even Reagan's era.
I do hope if anything, edwards can bring this back to the forefront.
by vwcat 2006-12-16 05:31PM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards To Announce From Lower Ninth Ward in N

That's funny. I'm an Edwards supporter, but I do wish Obama the best of luck.

by clarkent 2006-12-16 05:39PM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards To Announce From Lower Ninth Ward in N
And that is how it should be.
Not the bashing and trashing.  We are on the same side as far a democrats.
I do like Edwards as a person.
I was for him in 04 and the reason I voted for Kerry in hopes Edwards would get some meat in the job.
But, I just like my guy abit more.
May the best one win (but let us hope it is not HRC).  Please.
by vwcat 2006-12-16 07:25PM | 0 recs
what committee has jurisdiction over rebuilding?

maybe there should be a committee (or maybe a subcommittee on appropriatons) created just for that. that's something pelosi and reid could do now that might make a big difference.

by msnook 2006-12-16 06:31PM | 0 recs
Re: what committee has jurisdiction over rebuildin
What happened was Jr. decided to contract it out privately.  that is why billions have been spent and nothing was done to rebuild.
The same old story of the last 6 years.  sigh.
by vwcat 2006-12-16 07:27PM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards To Announce From Lower Ninth Ward in N

Whoever is doing his advance work must be really good. I wonder if it's the same person?

July 2, 2004

...Speaking of advance, Sam Meyers, who ran Edwards' advance team in the '04 primaries, is moving over to Camp Kerry to run advance for the VP. (Is it just us, or are a lot of Edwards' folks headed to work on Kerry's VP staff?)...

July 6, 2004

....A few Democratic operatives showing up there, I believe, at this time. Right, Kelly?

KELLY WALLACE, CNN NATIONAL CORRESPONDENT: Well, Heidi, yes, we have seen some aides go inside the senator's home, including a couple of aides who worked on his presidential campaign, Sam Meyers (ph), who did advance. We believe he will be doing advance for the vice presidential tickets. And also Kim Ruby (ph), who was one of the senator's press secretaries during the primary, who we believe will also be working for him now that he is the running mate...

by Michael Bersin 2006-12-17 02:52AM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards To Announce From Lower Ninth Ward in N

Before I saw this I didn't think edwards was going to do too well.  However it seems like this time he is taking a lot of genuine stands on issues.

This is one thing I've been hoping for this primary.  That the large amount of candidates will have a positive influence on each other by pushing for seperate, but good issues.

by sterra 2006-12-17 03:45AM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards To Announce From Lower Ninth Ward in N
Edwards has very good issues to run on: poverty, job losses, uneven opportunities; I am very impressed by his message of two Americas.
I think he and Kucinich can push more moderate Dems in the primaries.
by bmelz 2006-12-17 04:42PM | 0 recs
Make a week of it

He could announce all week. Start with a few locations in and around the city - from Lakeview to the lower 9th - working east through Missisippi. Maybe then people would get an idea of scale.

Not that I'm greedy or anything

by lb0313 2006-12-17 04:00AM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards To Announce From Lower Ninth Ward in N
It would be a bad idea to do that for a week.  One big announcement gets more ink that a series of small ones.  People go, OH, big deal, by the second one.  He would undermine the idea of announcing which is to get press and publicity.
As I said, Edwards just doesn't excite me but, I think he is a nice person and hope for him to do well.  I'd like to see him get a nice bit of the news cycle for his announcement. Do it big one time.
by vwcat 2006-12-17 05:26AM | 0 recs
Heading into a dead news week

I think he'll get multiple pops.

by stevehigh 2006-12-17 06:24AM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards To Announce From Lower Ninth Ward in N

I like Edwards.

I wish he had more of a track record so that I could evaluate his candidacy on a more rational level; but I think his (very effectively communicated) stance against corporate greed and short-sightedness is so crucial right now, that he gets a lot of points (from me, anyway) for that alone. When I was visiting my grandparents and they needed a plumber, his brother's name was right there in the book.

by sb 2006-12-17 07:15AM | 0 recs