MT-Sen, VA-Sen: Burns and Allen To Concede

It won't be long before victory in the Senate is official. From Montana:U.S. Sen. Conrad Burns (news, bio, voting record) conceded defeat to Jon Tester on Thursday, acknowledging that a tight election had gone to the Democrats' favor, Burns' campaign told The Associated Press.

Burns, a three-term senator whose campaign was troubled by verbal gaffes and voter discontent, congratulated Tester, a farmer and state legislator.

"I stand ready to help as Montana transitions to a new United States Senator," Burns said in a statement provided to the AP. "We fought the good fight and we came up just a bit short. We've had a good 18 years and I am proud of my record." Well, he is just about the only one who is proud of it. Buh-bye. Also, from Virginia:U.S. Sen. George Allen is expected to concede the race for the Senate today.

Allen's concession to Democrat Jim Webb would pave the way for the Democrats to gain a majority in the U.S. Senate.

Allen will hold a 3 p.m. news conference at the historic Carlyle House in Old Town Alexandria.

The Allen campaign has been monitoring the local canvassing of the election results and has not seen enough change to affect the outcome. Webb won by about 7,000 votes out of 2.3 million cast. Assuming that Joe Lieberman caucuses with Democrats, that officially gives us control. I don't think there is much remaining energy to strip Lieberman of his seniority, since it could mean we don't take control. This could very well be a DLC dominated Senate for two years, but we will have the agenda, subpoena power, and much more influence over judges. However, considering that in 2008 and 2010 Republicans must defend a wide swath of seats, we will have the opportunity to build a much more progressive Senate relatively soon. And controlling the Senate at all is a vast, vast improvement on our previous position. In 2008, at the very least, I think we have good chances to win Oregon, Minnesota, New Hampshire, Virginia, New Mexico, North Carolina, and Colorado. It will be a target rich environment. Diarist jgkojak has more on this.

Maybe, in a way, it is better that it took two extra days for the Senate to officially become ours. That way, Nancy Pelosi was featured in the news for two days, and now Harry Reid can have his turn. It is particularly sweet that Montana and Virginia put us over the top, showing once again that the people-powered movement can make a big impact in red states too.

Tags: Cnrad Burns, George Allen, Harry Reid, Jim Webb, Jon Tester, MT-Sen, Senate 2006, Senate 2008, VA-Sen (all tags)

Comments

Re: MT-Sen, VA-Sen: Burns and Allen To Concede

Say "Good night", Gracie :)

BC

by billcoop4 2006-11-09 08:49AM | 0 recs
Re: MT-Sen, VA-Sen: Burns and Allen To Concede

Yes, I was thinking the same thing as soon as I saw the headline to this post. I suspect many will be too young to remember George Burns and Gracie Allen, but that is a fitting line!

by Omark 2006-11-09 10:25AM | 0 recs
Re: MT-Sen, VA-Sen: Burns and Allen To Concede

Well no, I don't like associating George and Gracie with the likes of this Burns and Allen!

by lemonyellow 2006-11-09 12:22PM | 0 recs
Re: MT-Sen, VA-Sen: Burns and Allen To Concede

I agree with you, but it sure made me miss George and Gracie, and their humor.....sigh.

so........when do we get to view the Articles of Impeachment?

by justadood 2006-11-09 12:40PM | 0 recs
Red, White and Blue

That's a 50-state strategy is, isn't it.

by stevehigh 2006-11-09 08:51AM | 0 recs
Netroots candidates

That is the very best part about these two.  They were opposed by the DSCC and endorsed by the netroots.

Tester is particularly a great example of how the new Democrats are not all so "conservative" or whatnot - he strident oppostion of the Patriot act puts him in Feingold territory.  Did I hear right he's also pro-choice?

Brown isn't getting enough mention as a member of the progressive caucus now winning a state Bush carried.  Casey might be socially conservative but Brown definitely isn't, and neither is whitehouse.

oh well, up to the election we heard how the netroots was taking the democrats far left and now that we've won, it's because the democrats became so conservative.  No surprise that dishonest pundits and spinsters try and spin this to some kind of advantage...

by scientician 2006-11-09 08:59AM | 0 recs
Re: Netroots candidates

If I remember correctly, wasn't a lot of the netroots against Brown and was pissed the DSCC was pushing him over Hackett?

by yitbos96bb 2006-11-09 09:02AM | 0 recs
some were

Others recognized Brown was a good candidate too and Hackett was invited by the DCCC to run for a House Seat in consolation.   It would be a better start for a rookie candidate.  Yes, Webb was a rookie too, but his win is miraculous, and we shouldn't discount able, experienced campaigners in favour of rookies at the drop of a hat.

Lamont was great and all, but no one can say his inexperience in campaigning didn't hurt him somewhat.  Running for senate is tough, especially against incumbents.

by scientician 2006-11-10 09:38AM | 0 recs
by Hesiod Theogeny 2006-11-09 09:00AM | 0 recs
Re: MT-Sen, VA-Sen: Burns and Allen To Concede

I'd like to see a bill in the first 100 days that lowers taxes for the first $50,000 to 100,000 of taxable income and raises minimum wage, while returning the highest brackets to pre-Bush levels.  When Bush Vetos the bill, then bring up the biggest media shitstorm of how the GOP is against tax cuts for the middle and working class... Instant hat to hang on ANY GOOPER foolish enough to vote against it.  "They want to raise your taxes and lower your salaries, while cutting them for his wealthy friends."  needs to be the rallying cry of the Democrats for the next decade.

by yitbos96bb 2006-11-09 09:01AM | 0 recs
Re: MT-Sen, VA-Sen: Burns and Allen To Concede

In the local press yesterday here in Brooklyn, they said that Lieberman's office said that they would still caucus with the democrats. he could be just lying of course-b ut I dont see why he would keep the stance, and day after he had already won.

by bruh21 2006-11-09 09:02AM | 0 recs
Re: MT-Sen, VA-Sen: Burns and Allen To Concede

As I have said before, I just don't see what the GOP can give Liebermann that the Dems can't, unless it is a cabinet position.. but since he would lose all power in 2 years, it would be stupid.

by yitbos96bb 2006-11-09 09:04AM | 0 recs
Armed services or appropriations.

But John Warner would balk, and Ted Stevens would go on a murderous rampage.

by Hesiod Theogeny 2006-11-09 09:06AM | 0 recs
Re: Armed services or appropriations.

Hmm Maybe it would be worth it then... Even if we lost the senate for two years... If Stevens kills him, we get rid of two pieces of shit from the senate.  Maybe one of Stevens bullets will take out some Goopers from states with a Democratic Governor.

by yitbos96bb 2006-11-09 09:18AM | 0 recs
NYT story this morning.

Said Lieberman was going to causus with the Dems and that he was not going to entertain any offers from the GOP.

by Hesiod Theogeny 2006-11-09 09:07AM | 0 recs
MAJOR NEWS!

We might get another Senate seat! Wyoming Senmator, Craig Tomas was just hospitalized with Leukimia.

Given that Dems control the Governorship of Wyoming, we could gain this seat via appointment if Thomas elects to step down for health reasons.

by Hesiod Theogeny 2006-11-09 09:05AM | 0 recs
Re: MAJOR NEWS!

GARY! TRAUNER!

GARY! TRAUNER!

GARY! TRAUNER!

by bruorton 2006-11-09 09:13AM | 0 recs
Re: MAJOR NEWS!

Let's hope Senator Thomas is okay.  We'd like to win that seat, but we don't want a human being to get sick or die so we can have it.

by ChetEdModerate 2006-11-09 09:56AM | 0 recs
Re: MAJOR NEWS!

Yeah. Let's not be so happy about somebody getting Leukemia, even if they are a Republican Senator. We're better than that right?

by robin oz 2006-11-09 10:35AM | 0 recs
Re: MAJOR NEWS!

Here, here.  We are all humans first people.  I hope Senator Craig gets well.  Besides, Senator Byrd is looking awfully ricketty - even though the GOV of WV is a Dem.

by Lassallean 2006-11-09 10:36AM | 0 recs
Re: MAJOR NEWS!

Yeah I have to assume Byrd is not that much longer for the senate.  I can't seem him pulling a Strom.

by yitbos96bb 2006-11-09 10:58AM | 0 recs
Re: MAJOR NEWS!

You sound a little too happy about a guy getting cancer.  He may be a Gooper, but no one should have to go through Leukimia.

by yitbos96bb 2006-11-09 10:57AM | 0 recs
Re: MAJOR NEWS!

I ask you why we shouldn't be excited why a senator has cancer? Even though he may suffer a great deal, why should his life matter more then the thousands of US soilders or tens-of-thousands of Iraqis that he has sentenced to death? I see no difference just because he is a senator. I personally would be happy to see another seat gain, but would not wish his pain on anybody. Does that mean I won't clebrate his seat opening? No.

by nrimmer 2006-11-09 04:17PM | 0 recs
Re: MAJOR NEWS!

Just to repseond to myself, why should we really care? Rush Limbaugh doesn't give a damn that Fox has Parkinson's? What make you think that if any Dem died would the GOP care? I didn't see any tears flow when Wellstone or Carnahan died.

by nrimmer 2006-11-09 04:19PM | 0 recs
Re: MT-Sen, VA-Sen: Burns and Allen To Concede

Okay, call me resentful, because I am, but last I checked most people pretended to stand for something even if they don't... apparently Lieberman wants to break that trend, not even pretending to care for anything besides his seniority.

From the Courant...

"I'll sign up with the caucus to protect my seniority," Lieberman said Wednesday. "My seniority is important to my ability to deliver for the state of Connecticut."

Later in the article...

Other than keeping his seniority, he was asked, what is the reason to organize with the Democrats?

"Well, I've been a Democrat," he replied.

Any reasons beyond that?

"Seniority is an important factor," he said.

by Arouet 2006-11-09 09:10AM | 0 recs
Re: MT-Sen, VA-Sen: Burns and Allen To Concede

Wow, he's graduated to the GWB pre-school for redundant sycophants.

"I've been a Democrat."  Hilarious.

by bruorton 2006-11-09 09:18AM | 0 recs
Re: MT-Sen, VA-Sen: Burns and Allen To Concede

who cares as long as we have the majority

by bruh21 2006-11-09 09:18AM | 0 recs
Great to see someone like Allen lose

plus Web was really growing on me.

***Keep in mind next election - The highly vaunted Republican GOTV advantage never materialized. Some were saying it would be worth 5% over what the polls were saying.

by Cleveland John 2006-11-09 09:15AM | 0 recs
Re: Great to see someone like Allen lose

Unless it did work and they were headed to losses EVEN worse than the ones suffered.  My opinion is they overestimated the importance of the base... As I have said for a while, the Christian right is NOT A MAJORITY, they are a loud minority.  This election was won because the Independents (many middle class voters in here) realized the GOP didn't give two shits about them and that the Dems would actually try to help them instead of letting the rich get richer.

by yitbos96bb 2006-11-09 11:02AM | 0 recs
Majority Leader Clinton?

Has any one heard anything more about Reid passing the baton to Hillary to keep her from running for President in '08.  I'm all for it.  I think it's brilliant! Maureen Dowd would amuse herself with many columns describing the two Democratic mother hens chastening an errant little Bush.  Dowd has suggested that it might be Bush's secret fantasy as well.  Who knows, there could be leather!

by Lassallean 2006-11-09 10:43AM | 0 recs
Re: Majority Leader Clinton?

Why would Reid give up his power? Especially NOW that he controls the show.  Reid cares about the party, but I don't think he pulls a Good of the party sacrifice... Plus Durbin would flip as well...  Making her the number 3 in the Senate may be a possibility, unless Durbin wants to leave his post.

What about putting her as head of DSCC?

by yitbos96bb 2006-11-09 11:04AM | 0 recs
Weather

Has anyone else noticed the unseasonably warm and sunny weather in DC today?  I think G-d is smiling down at us for electing a Democratic Congress.

by umcpgreg 2006-11-09 11:17AM | 0 recs
Be careful chris of the oldest mistake here

chris, what has brought down the dlc will bring you down as well.

the reason that people win big, is because the american voters like google.

they like google government and google TV. they are really making up their own minds.

the GOP never had a chance to make this election local, the american voter base made this election national and the number one issue was the war.

dean was prescient - he was not a politician.  the dlc made the mistake that marketing candidates with ads is all you need to do.

by the way the dlcs error is the same as the bush republicans - they tried to market a war of choice to the american people.

just think how much money the american people would have saved if kerry had been elected. it staggers the mind.

by heyAnita 2006-11-10 01:23AM | 0 recs