Democrats In Position To Take Senate

Montana, Missouri, and Virginia are all close. This is just like pre-eelction polling. However, we are pulling away in Missouri, and we are ahead in Virginia where the remaining votes are in Dem areas. Further, Tester has a 9,000 vote lead in Montana with a whole lot counted.

I can smell it now. The Senate is clearly moving towards us. We will take both. No one will steal it from us this time.
Update: McCaskill wins!!!! One down, two to go. And we are leading in both of those two.

Tags: Senate 2006 (all tags)

Comments

Re: Democrats In Position To Take Senate

CBS just projected Missouri for McCaskill.. moments ago...

by remove 2006-11-07 08:57PM | 0 recs

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

by NorCalJim 2006-11-07 08:59PM | 0 recs
Re: Democrats In Position To Take Senate

NBC follows CBS and says "Democrat McCaskill claims victory over Sen. Talent in Missouri"

by remove 2006-11-07 09:01PM | 0 recs
Re: Democrats In Position To Take Senate

ABC: DEMOCRATS MCCASKILL AND WEBB DECLARE VICTORY IN MISSOURI AND VIRGINIA SENATE RACES; OPPONENTS HAVE NOT CONCEDED

by remove 2006-11-07 09:04PM | 0 recs
Re: Democrats In Position To Take Senate

they dont need to be good sports about it- we will take our win anyway.

by bruh21 2006-11-07 09:06PM | 0 recs
Re: Democrats In Position To Take Senate

yeah- that race is over:

D  Claire MCCASKILL  908,386   50

R  Jim TALENT  869,294   47

by bruh21 2006-11-07 09:04PM | 0 recs
Re: Democrats In Position To Take Senate

And the single most important thing in having a senate majority - even a razor thin one - is the Supreme Court:  with John Paul Stevens at 86, we can be sure to block any more Roberts and Alito picks to ruin the country.

This night has saved this country.  Bigtime!

by jgarcia 2006-11-07 08:59PM | 0 recs
Re: Democrats In Position To Take Senate

Bush nominees won't shouldn't even get out of committee.

by manyoso 2006-11-07 09:01PM | 0 recs
I AM CALLING IT!
Dems will sweep MT, MO, and VA.
Time 1:57am
by Pravin 2006-11-07 08:59PM | 0 recs
Re: Democrats In Position To Take Senate

Is there any question regarding military, overseas absentee ballots?  Have they already been figured into the totals?

by RisingSign 2006-11-07 08:59PM | 0 recs
Re: Democrats In Position To Take Senate

The only person who can take the Senate from us is that jerk Lieberman.  I swallowed vomit watching his acceptance speech.

by burroughs 2006-11-07 09:03PM | 0 recs
Re: Democrats In Position To Take Senate

Montana is won. Don't worry.

The only question involving Montana tomorrow is how the 2008 primary against Baucus is coming.

by Bob Brigham 2006-11-07 09:03PM | 0 recs
Re: Democrats In Position To Take Senate

Um why would anyone want to primary Baucus?

Can't we just enjoy ONE night until we start the fight again?

by jgarcia 2006-11-07 09:08PM | 0 recs
Re: Democrats In Position To Take Senate

Polls are closed, the primary against Baucus has already began. Personally, I hope it is extra nasty and destroys any legacy.

Max Baucus is a piece of shit. He was the first pol I ever volunteered for, but since then I've read the blogs and he has listened to the DLC. He needs to go.

by Bob Brigham 2006-11-07 09:18PM | 0 recs
Re: Democrats In Position To Take Senate

Reid better keep a tight rein on Liarman.  We are counting on you Harry!!

by Calvin Jones and the 13th Apostle 2006-11-07 09:03PM | 0 recs
Re: Democrats In Position To Take Senate

congratulations to everyone here. you are doing a fantastic job.

by jonb 2006-11-07 09:04PM | 0 recs
Re: Democrats In Position To Take Senate

It's a tsunami, baby!   Eat it, Rove!   Eat it!!!

by jk 2006-11-07 09:06PM | 0 recs
Re: Democrats In Position To Take Senate

Talent just conceded... they showed the start on CNN

by yitbos96bb 2006-11-07 09:07PM | 0 recs
Re: Democrats In Position To Take Senate

Most absentee ballots are counted during the day, although each state is different.  But Tester with a 9,700 vote lead and 64% precincts in should cruise to victory.

The netroots needs to take credit for getting Tester through the primary and the general.  Webb as well.  This will be a narrative post election, and we need to smash the conception that we have had little effect on these elections ala Lamont.

Let's find some House races not pushed by the DCCC until late that we supported early.  This will help fill out our stature as a force in politics.

I thought Ford's concession speech was great.  Maybe a bit too Christian for some, but we have to reclaim some moral highground from the religious right.

by parmenides 2006-11-07 09:07PM | 0 recs
Ford's loss no big deal to me

I did not shed a tear for Ford. OK So I got warned by MYDD for putting up a glib breaking blue item about Jesus not saving Ford. I will take that back. I do admit he ran a campaign appropriate for that area. Still, I can't help but be amused by how pundits are spinning his loss to make us reazlie how a good little "moderate" like him ran a great race. If a liberal lost the exact same way, the MSM woud have marginalized that achievement.

Tester and Webb were given a lot of praise here. McKaskill got good press here. So are we really that out of touch?

BUt having said all that, I would gladly have Ford win if it meant the dems dont have to suck up to Lieberman.

by Pravin 2006-11-07 09:12PM | 0 recs
Re: Democrats In Position To Take Senate

Pull GA-8 back out of the loss column! We are up by 700 near as I can tell.

by Mullibok 2006-11-07 09:10PM | 0 recs

http://www.sos.state.ga.us/elections/ele ction_results/2006_1107/024.htm

We are up 2000 actually!

by yitbos96bb 2006-11-07 09:13PM | 0 recs
Re: Democrats In Position To Take Senate

Webb's lead keeps getting bigger... I doubt we will find enough to get to no recount territory, but the bigger it is the better life will be.   We have taken down 3 contenders in the last year in Santorum, Frist and Allen.

by yitbos96bb 2006-11-07 09:11PM | 0 recs
Re: Democrats In Position To Take Senate

VA gaop: getting bigger and bigger and bigger.

I'm going about as crazy and delusional as Russert right now.

by bradlevinson 2006-11-07 09:15PM | 0 recs
Re: Democrats In Position To Take Senate

Actually, A little bit ago, when Webb was only up by 2200 or so, I was doing some math. The outstanding counties are heavy for Webb. By my figures if the numbers hold true I have this thing going just out of auto recount range at a difference of about 11,500. It has since gone to 6000 or so. Let's see...

by mikeprim 2006-11-07 09:18PM | 0 recs
Ha ha

Dude , do you doubt me? I, Mr. Cynical,  called it. What we see now is the inevitable. If I called it, you know it's over!  Heh heh.

Have fun people!

by Pravin 2006-11-07 09:24PM | 0 recs
Re: Democrats In Position To Take Senate

Woooooo!!! Go Senate, go! Go Senate, go!

by Callandor 2006-11-07 09:11PM | 0 recs
Re: Democrats In Position To Take Senate

I'm having trouble breathing.

In a good way, though.

by Oregonian 2006-11-07 09:11PM | 0 recs
Re: Democrats In Position To Take Senate

Brian Williams going after robo calls on MSNBC.  Sweet.

by parmenides 2006-11-07 09:13PM | 0 recs
Go read the Freepers

You'll need to take a shower afterwards, but I guarantee it'll be fun.

They are moaning that the U.S.A. is over, that the Dems will institute "open borders" and tax everything at 100%. Also their brilliant new talking point is to demand that Dems singlehandedly fix Iraq and catch Osama. I guess within the first hundred days. Lastly they are fantasizing about upcoming Bush vetoes.

After all the gloating they did following the past three elections, we owe them some return gloating.

by jimBOB 2006-11-07 09:13PM | 0 recs
Re: Democrats In Position To Take Senate

Oh man... did you hear Russert say that "it would be so like Liberman" if the senate were tied and he could trade his seniority for caucusing with the GOP?

I guess the really interesting stuff comes out latenight.

by Josh Koenig 2006-11-07 09:13PM | 0 recs
Re: Democrats In Position To Take Senate

I still don't see why he would do it.  The Dems can offer him any chair he wants (and he would have a high choice given his seniority)... If he switched parties, I think he would be screwed in his next election unless he is planning on retiring.  Yeah he is a prick and might do it out of spite, but I can't see it happening... the only scenario that could is one I heard earlier where he gets a cabinet position, leaves and the GOP Gov of CT appoints a Gooper to replace him.  Other than that, I think joe stays and continues to irritate us.

by yitbos96bb 2006-11-07 09:18PM | 0 recs
Re: Democrats In Position To Take Senate

Rep. Leach has just gone down.  Jerry Brown now called as the new Attorney General in CA.  Gets to work with the terminator.

by parmenides 2006-11-07 09:14PM | 0 recs
Re: Democrats In Position To Take Senate

Larry Kissel (NC-08) was a major netroots candidate.  He appears to have lost tonight -- by less than 500 votes -- but there will be a recount.  This was a strong red district that stretched from Charlotte to Fort Bragg.  It never should've been this close.  Congratulations, Larry and everyone who helped him in this campaign.

North Carolina 08
R Hayes (I) R 50.2%
L Kissell D 49.8%
100% of precincts counted

by jk 2006-11-07 09:16PM | 0 recs
Re: Democrats In Position To Take Senate

I want to emphasize how good this feels.  There was a time when I began to worry if the good guys would ever win again.  Living in Texas does not help much either.  Great job to everyone.

by libintex 2006-11-07 09:23PM | 0 recs
Tester

I think it's great -- and entirely fitting -- that John Tester looks quite likely to pop the Senate corks.

It's a fitting bit of justice that will be lost everywhere but around the blogosphere, but it's the perfect bow.

by zonk 2006-11-07 09:30PM | 0 recs
Re: Democrats In Position To Take Senate

Any Democrat that can get elected in Montana and still votes with us as much as Baucus does is okay with me.

On the counts in Missouri, Montana, and Virginia, it looks so much better than I thought, and boy, am I happy.  I thought we'd only get 24 in the House, and we pulled it off even better.  I thought we'd only get 5 in the Senate, and it looks better now.

Now I just want to thank all the people who worked so hard in all of those other states (we in Oregon we preoccupied with our state elections, our Dem. Governor has been re-elected, we Dems kept the State Senate, and we've RETAKEN the STATE HOUSE, and it looks like we kicked out the Republican Speaker of the House, Karen Minnis, so I guess all that time I spent volunteering really paid off!).

by jallen 2006-11-07 09:30PM | 0 recs
Re: Democrats In Position To Take Senate

What is the cutoff for the automatic recount because CNN shows Webb up by almost 12,000 votes.

by gusty987 2006-11-07 09:31PM | 0 recs
Re: Democrats In Position To Take Senate

Webb up by 12k now.  Looks like we are stuck at 6 governorships.  Not bad, but could have been better, especially in the West.

by parmenides 2006-11-07 09:32PM | 0 recs
Re: Democrats In Position To Take Senate

The points being made about getting out in front of the post-election narrative are absolutely correct. And among dems in the media there is a huge DLC bias. Bruce Reed at Slate:
But give Democrats credit. Apart from a foolish summer fling with Ned Lamont and a late Laugh-In cameo from John Kerry, Democrats did just about everything right and ran their best campaign in a decade. Field marshals Rahm Emanuel and Chuck Schumer ignored the virtual industry of self-help nonsense that has paralyzed Democrats' chattering classes and went back to a simple, proven formula: From the suburbs to the heartland, elections are won in the center.
Horseshit.
We gotta flap our gums louder, faster, and longer.

And by the way: I'm so effing psyched I can hardly contain myself. TSU-freakin'-NAMI!

by Jilliker 2006-11-07 09:51PM | 0 recs