Morning Thread: McCain Hypocrisy Edition

John McCain yesterday: "Hypocrisy, my friends, is the most obvious of political sins. And the people will punish it."

John McCain today: "Brett O'Donnell, who guided Liberty University's debate team to a consensus No. 1 national ranking earlier this year, is taking a leave of absence to become an adviser to presidential hopeful Sen. John McCain." Liberty University, of course, was founded by Jerry Falwell, who McCain has called an agent of intolerance.

Consider this an open thread...

Tags: 2008, John McCain, Open Thread (all tags)

Comments

Re: Morning Thread: McCain Hypocrisy Edition

Technically a hypocrite - nothing new there, or in politics. He is certainly a 'tautological rationalizer' vs. a 'true-believer' hypocrite as are most politicians. The acute motive: McCain is worried that Romney will outflank him on the right during the early primaries, so he's 'sleeping around' a bit.

Now I wonder how we might classify Hillary??

by tfitznc 2006-11-17 04:54AM | 0 recs
Re: Morning Thread: McCain Hypocrisy Edition

Like Bush, McCain sometimes mixes up words. I'm sure he meant to say "My friend Hypocrisy..." He and Hypocrisy have been intimate friends for many years.

In a McCain administration, expect Hypocricy to get a cabinet position or a possible Supreme Court appointment.

by Max94520 2006-11-17 05:11AM | 0 recs
Re: Morning Thread: McCain Hypocrisy Edition

A consensus #1 ranking for Liberty U...now that's funny.  i invite anyone to ask college debaters what they think of this "consensus."

http://scienceblogs.com/dispatches/2006/ 03/liberty_debate_team_take_3.php

by snaktime 2006-11-17 05:30AM | 0 recs
Re: Morning Thread: McCain Hypocrisy Edition

I graduated this past May, and while I did debate at my college for a few years, I NEVER EVER heard of Liberty or Patrick Henry (which I know is rumored to have a "great" debate program) do send any of its students to any national championships or anything. Just total Bullshit! What's new though?

by Legionnaire 2006-11-17 07:49AM | 0 recs
Re: Morning Thread: McCain Hypocrisy Edition

Yeah, this is what happens when outside media tries to report on the inside happenings of a seperate community (college policy debate in this case). Liberty can present all sorts of awards and stats that might demonstrate they are number one but without being a part of the college debate world the media can't evaluate those claims. In this case its like if a high school football team was considered the greatest in the county because it had the most wins (after playing twice as many games as anyone else and against all the worst teams).

by js noble 2006-11-17 08:29AM | 0 recs
Re: Morning Thread: McCain Hypocrisy Edition

This man has been growing visibly in self-righteousness these past couple of years.  I wonder now that I ever found him to be at least one Republican worthy of respect and serious consideration.  He lost me a long time ago.  Hypocrisy is not even a half of it.  A sheep in sheep's clothing.

by PeterClothier 2006-11-17 06:05AM | 0 recs
Re: Morning Thread: McCain Hypocrisy Edition

Now, now, it's not hypocrisy.  He just changed his mind!

The link about the Liberty debate team is worth reading.

by RickD 2006-11-17 06:05AM | 0 recs
New Survey USA Bush Approval: Map

No diary for me this month, just the map.  SUSA says approval at 36% this month, down a bit.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Click to enlarge.

by dreaminonempty 2006-11-17 06:26AM | 0 recs
Re: Morning Thread: McCain Hypocrisy Edition

Just a quick question:  How many of you actually KNOW Brett or anything about him?  I would think that a critique of Brett specifically rather than an overarching attack on Liberty as a whole would be more appropriate here.  Do any of you know what Brett's ideology is?  How he analyzes problems?  Rather than just seeing "Liberty University" in the headline and assuming the worst, I would expect a little more than guilt by association to be the rule of thumb.

Getting a real debater who actually has to make real arguments to win a debate will be a solid contribution to the overall rhetoric of presidential debates.  I would welcome more in depth debate rather than the trite drivel we usually hear in political debates.  God help us if Dallas Perkins or Roger Solt signs up for a Dem!  Then we may actually see some actual DEBATE!!!

Isn't this a step in the right direction?  Even if Brett is from Liberty, isn't having a real argumentation specialist in the political arena a good thing?  Though I consider Falwell to be the nuttiest of nut jobs, not everyone who associates with Liberty is too.

by dfdye 2006-11-17 06:37AM | 0 recs
Re: Morning Thread: McCain Hypocrisy Edition

I hope the blogosphere can shame the Corporate Media into covering the fact that McCain is becoming a Trojan Horse for the Radical Right.

Bush got in by preaching "compassionate conservative" mumbo-jumbo and playing down his campaign's fundamentalist roots.

I hope McCain isn't given the same free ride, or we can pretty much kiss goodbye to any last remnants of church-state separation.

by Bush Bites 2006-11-17 06:50AM | 0 recs
We must have a plan for McCain

When Kerry made his botched joke the Right jumped on it so effectively because they already had a narrative.

We need to do that with McCain.

The one I have for him is "Which McCain?" - The playboy flyer, or the patriotic POW, one of the Keating 5, or the campaign finance advocate, the swiftboated campaigner, or the brown-nosing Bush supporter.

This might not be the narrative, but we need to develop one, then when McCain does something, we already have a well known narrative that the event can fold into to add to the drip, drip, drip of unease and apprehension.

by Active Activist 2006-11-17 06:57AM | 0 recs