James Carville Leaked 2004 Kerry Ohio Strategy To White House

Now that James Carville is leading the charge to undermine the 2006 Democratic victory, I would like to take this moment to remind everyone how he undermined John Kerry's potential challenge to the result in Ohio in 2004:Apparently, Kerry had decided not to concede. There were 250,000 outstanding ballots in Ohio.

So Kerry decides to fight. In fact, he considers going to Ohio to camp out with his voters until there is a recount. This is the last thing the White House needs, especially after Florida 2000.

So what happened?
B<r> James Carville gets on the phone with his wife, Mary Matalin, who is at the White House with Bush.

"Carville told her he had some inside news. The Kerry campaign was going to challenge the provisional ballots in Ohio -- perhaps up to 250,000 of them. 'I don't agree with it, Carville said. I'm just telling you that's what they're talking about.'

"Matalin went to Cheney to report...You better tell the President Cheney told her."

Matalin does, advising Bush that "somebody in authority needed to get in touch with J. Kenneth Blackwell, the Republican Secretary of State in Ohio who would be in charge of any challenge to the provisional votes." An SOS goes out to Blackwell. Considering that his wife is being floated for RNC Chair, a decision which I am sure Carville supports, maybe everything the Democratic Party is doing will be immediately leaked to the RNC. And hey, since Carville thinks DNC chair is all about getting large donors to him from rich DLC-types, which Carville admired so much about Ken Mehlman, maybe he would even approve of Ken Mehlman becoming DNC chair. I hear he is available.

Tags: Democrats (all tags)

Comments

Re: James Carville Leaked 2004 Kerry Ohio Strategy

Dean was elected DNC chair by a democratic process.  If Carville thinks he can overturn that process, he's got another thing coming.  It says alot about where his loyalties lie when he decides that he wants to punish success.  Perhaps he wouldn't feel so comfortable if we democratically elected our self-important, pinheaded, beltway insider pundits.

by fwiffo 2006-11-10 10:52AM | 0 recs
Speaking of which...

Is there any actual party position that Carville holds at all?  I doubt it.  I say we be sure to publicize his future consulting clients, so we know which side they're on.

by randompost 2006-11-10 11:48AM | 0 recs
Seriously

You're right there.  Look, I love Carville, he's hysterical.  But once upon a time he was a giant.  Now I think that with Carville, it's all about process.  Like masturbation.  For him politics now is about how to most effectively execute, and there's no emotion in it at all.

The boy is lost and can't be fully trusted.  As far as his clients, check out the documentary "Our Brand is Crisis".  It's about Carville's consulting firm and their involvement with the 2002 Bolivian elections.

by CranesAreFlying 2006-11-10 03:12PM | 0 recs
Re: James Carville
Dean's 50 state strategy should be rewarded.
Carville may leak to Matalin, or he talks in his sleep.  James, go and become a stay at home dad.
by mehrrh 2006-11-10 10:56AM | 0 recs
Re: James Carville Leaked 2004 Kerry Ohio Strategy

Dean should stay as chair.

I've had more than my fill of Carville and his wife.  The dem political advisor class in DC knows its days are numbered.

by smacfarl 2006-11-10 11:01AM | 0 recs
Re: James Carville Leaked 2004 Kerry Ohio Strategy

The triangulation crowd are in denial. They still believe in their own importance and since their only exposure is among themselves and their cocktail circuit they really don't have a feel for out there in the boonies.

The grassroots/netroots need to realize that this will be a long term struggle to overcome the grip of the corporatists that run the DC conventional wisdom.

Progress was made in 2006. There are some fresh faces now elected that recognize who supported them when the DC power elites actively worked against them. We've got work smarter, harder and earlier in 2008 to build on the success of this week.

by ab initio 2006-11-10 11:07AM | 0 recs
DNC, RNC chairs

So the GOP is looking to Michael Steele and Carville wants to counter with Harold Ford.  Is this some kind of weird affirmative action?

by drlimerick 2006-11-10 11:17AM | 0 recs
Re: DNC, RNC chairs

yes- I think I would reprhase it however as affirmative cynacism rather than affirmative action.

by bruh21 2006-11-10 12:54PM | 0 recs
Re: James Carville Leaked

Yeah... I have to agree.. I like Carville one day out of every 2 years... On election night on CNN... He entertains me for one night like a jester and then crawls back under his rock.  That should be the limit of his involvment in the party as of now.

by yitbos96bb 2006-11-10 11:20AM | 0 recs
Re: James Carville Leaked 2004 Kerry Ohio Strategy

Well at least Ken supports outreach to minorities

XD

by MNPundit 2006-11-10 11:22AM | 0 recs
Re: James Carville Leaked 2004 Kerry Ohio Strategy

I've said for a long time that Carville needs to be shut out of Dem politics.  Maybe now is the time to actually do something about that?

by Disputo 2006-11-10 11:54AM | 0 recs
Re: James Carville Leaked 2004 Kerry Ohio Strategy

I tend to believe that he's not the player in Democratic national politics that he fancies himself. He's on TV a lot because he's goofy and all, but I can't imagine a sane politician telling him anything, given who he's married to.

by bobestes 2006-11-10 11:59AM | 0 recs
It's time to throw Carville an anvil

Never forget that he railed against Dean's selection from BEFORE day 1 -- saying the chairmanship should have been fixed in a backroom deal like in the good old days. The man is neither a Democrat nor a democrat.

Every time the man opens his mouth to spout shit like this the blogosphere needs to be prepared to shove a sock down his throat by responding at light speed.

by Jim in Chicago 2006-11-10 12:02PM | 0 recs
Carville is dead to me...

...and I would strongly suggest that future campaigns avoid this man at their peril.

He has placed himself above the interests of the Democratic Party, and as far as I'm concerned, above those of the nation.

by palamedes 2006-11-10 12:22PM | 0 recs
Re: James Carville

If anyone wants to truly understand Carville and Co see the film "Our Brand is Crisis"

by bruh21 2006-11-10 12:54PM | 0 recs
Re: James Carville

...and the irony is that he isn't the worst guy of that bunch.

by palamedes 2006-11-10 01:17PM | 0 recs
DNC chair

And after the success of the last week, what continuing role does Carville suggest for Dean? Does he just want him to just disappear?

Because what would surely happen is a netroots schism and a 'Draft Dean' movement.

by cargocult 2006-11-10 02:50PM | 0 recs
Re: DNC chair

Thats what I don't get - what's in it for him?  Does he really think that the 50 state strategy is a loser for the democratic party?  I mean, sure, you could argue that it's a waste of resources (you'd be wrong, but you could argue it) but that it's actually bad for the party?  Cause if he doesn't, then I don't see how he can honestly make the case that Dean should be booted, which frankly just illuminates the fact that it's all about lining his, and his consultant friends, pockets - and Dean is threatening their little scam.

by Ugluks Flea 2006-11-10 04:37PM | 0 recs
Re: DNC chair

Let's see:

Older, politically-involved man of uncertain social standing woos and marries considerably younger, higher-status woman with high-powered friends and family of a different political faction, who then bears his children and proceeds to subtly, gradually turn him against his own political faction.

Now where have we heard this story before?  (Hint:  The wife's maiden name was Peggy Shippen.)

by Phoenix Woman 2006-11-10 05:31PM | 0 recs
Re: DNC chair

Yes he does think it's a loser.

Don't underestimate the human ability to create layers of tantasy truth to ignore reality and reaffirm the ego.

Carville is as egotistical as they come, and people like him require a lot of adoration from other to feel any sense of self worth.

When they sit here and watch the netroots go out and fight on the goalline to get the last two Senate seats, it throws his ego.

I am going to venture a football anology again: people like Carville are like the coaches in football who throw the ball every down and can't figure out why they're losing game after game to teams that commit to running the ball.

They think they're smart enough to change the rules of the game, and they eschew the way the game is really played: on the ground, in the treches.  You knock the other guy on his ass.  Then you come back and do it again the next down.  You keep doing it until the other guy just gives up goes to the sidelines for a breather.  Then you knock his replacement on his ass, too.

There's only one right way to play the game.

by jcjcjc 2006-11-10 06:57PM | 0 recs
Carville, Ford, etc.

Carville has always been a terrible person to have out front for Democrats.  I have to strain to make out what he's saying, though it appears to be an act he's putting on with the marbles-in-the-mouth diction.  Its as though he thinks that projecting a thug attitude is more important than whatever it is he's saying.  I think he's contemptuous of the voters.

Obviously, the Tennessee Senate seat could have been won with another candidate.  Where did they get the idea that a 36 year old unmarried guy born with a silver spoon in his mouth and handed a seat in Congress from his father was a good candidate against anyone?  The House seat his father handed him was the only one he could win, truth be told.

by Rowena 2006-11-10 02:53PM | 0 recs
Re: James Carville Leaked 2004 Kerry Ohio Strategy

"How long would Dean be expected to remain DNC chair? Doesn't this change hands every election cycle or so?"

I think how it works is, if you lose big, you're expected to fall on your sword.

by me2i81 2006-11-10 02:57PM | 0 recs
Re: James Carville Leaked 2004 Kerry Ohio Strategy

First of all this sort of TREASON to the Democratic party would NEVER be tolerated in the Republican party, where they take party loyalty seriously.

What kind of B.S. Bush ass-kissing crap is that?

Dean is now more popular than ever. All the regional parties are now celebrating instead of moaning how we
"let one get away" which would have been the case if the tri-strangulating Melman-Carville strategy of challenge 30 seats had been adopted!

Carville should be strapped to a cargo-plane and cut-loose somewhere out over the Bering Straits!

by Cugel 2006-11-10 03:00PM | 0 recs
Re: James Carville Leaked 2004 Kerry Ohio Strategy

I assume everyone believes that Woodward's unattributed source is 100% correct and Woodward has never made a mistake.

I'll never believe Carville planted a knife to a Dem Presidential contender until I see more than a book written in nearly novel style.

I don't trust Woodward and haven't for years. His books are too loaded with stuff that lights fires and never has a source.

Carville spent his life on Dem politics. Rep wife or not I can't believe this canard that's be floated for years without more actual proof. In my book this is one step above a rumor.

Just one opinion and it could be worth what you paid for it...nothing. But after 30+ years in Dem Politics I don't see him deliberatly shafting a Dem Presidential hopeful. Just don't buy it.

Any one have an interview somewhere where the question was asked...Did you do this? I'd like to see his answer...particularly if it's on camera. Camera tells a lot.

by BigDog 2006-11-10 03:26PM | 0 recs
Re: James Carville Leaked 2004 Kerry Ohio Strategy

Then Carville and Matalin should sue Woodward.

But they haven't, and you know that they know about that passage.  They HAVE to know by now.

by Phoenix Woman 2006-11-10 05:33PM | 0 recs
Re: James Carville Leaked 2004 Kerry Ohio Strategy

In case you are totally uninformed, they can't. Woodward is a public personality and exempt from such lawsuits.

by BigDog 2006-11-11 04:12PM | 0 recs
Woah!

I had no idea about that... that puts whole new light on what I said earlier...I always thought that Carville was moderate, but very partisan and very pro-Democratic.

by afertig 2006-11-10 05:32PM | 0 recs
The moderates are the danerous ones

Anyone who tries to claim the center is usually just a faker who is trying to be all things to all people.

These days, I'd vote for an extreme right winger before I'd vote for a centrist.  At least the wingnut has some principles he wants to stand for!

by jcjcjc 2006-11-10 07:00PM | 0 recs
Re: James Carville Leaked 2004 Kerry Ohio Strategy

Carville and Susan Estrich should be put into the progressive penalty box for two full election cycles for blatant stupidity.

by stumpy 2006-11-11 01:47AM | 0 recs
Wrong again

Remember what I told you? Carville is just the rumour bearer - he has no information whatsoever apart from what someone told him.

we're waaiting chris.

by heyAnita 2006-11-11 03:49AM | 0 recs
Re: James Carville Leaked

I find all this to be just a smoke screen to capture some attention. Because together with attention come more votes (not necessarily in the same proportion)

by smjacob 2007-09-17 02:32PM | 0 recs