Racial Politics This Week -- A Roundup
by Jill Tubman, Sat Oct 07, 2006 at 10:55:27 AM EDT
It's a grey Saturday here at Jack and Jill Politics. The perfect weather to spend listening to the soothing bluesy sounds of "The Incredible Jimmy Smith" album: Back at the Chicken Shack. Don't take my word for it. It says right on the cover art over the chicken coop and above the black-and-white dog in big red letters that he's incredible.
First a word: Jack and Jill Politics is looking for local minority-authored blogs to start building a blogroll. We want to find more progressive blogs covering politics in the states like CTBlogger (CT), Where Is the Outrage (NC), Vivian Paige (VA) and Black At Michigan (MI) with voices that can add new perspectives. If you are a local minority blogger or know a local minority blog that deserves a little more attention, please leave the link in the comments or email us at jjpolitics at gmail.com. Thanks in advance!
Mama's got a lot to do today and I bet you do too. So I'm gonna hit you with some quick links to check out in our weekly roundup of what's happening at the crossroads where minorities and politics meet.
* First, this Mark Foley Predatorgate coverup thing is not partisan despite Republican efforts to make it so. That's why they are going to lose and lose big in the elections. It's not Democrat vs. Republican; it's Right vs. Wrong. The cover-up caused even conservative Christian Black blogger La Shawn Barber to dig deep and question her loyalty to the current GOP leadership. Furthermore, Wanda Sykes would like you to know that Foley is giving alcohol a bad name. (Thanks to the Huffington Post for the link!) I would like to know why Mark Foley is in rehab and not in jail. Isn't what he did somehow against some law somewhere?
* Republic of T breaks it down on attempts to connect homosexuality and pedophilia. This is wrong and ignorant, Margaret Cho agrees. Hopefully, pastors will keep that in mind in church this Sunday. Let's keep the hate where it belongs: directed at child molesters and not at the GLBT community, ok?
More after the jump...
* Colin Powell has more luck this week finding his balls than those elusive WMDs and hits hard on the Bush Administration for its "stay the course" policy in Irag.
* President Bush signs the Secure Fence Act over the protests of major Latino organizations like LULAC, NCLR and MALDEF.
* Republican Kerry Healy running for governor in Massachusetts runs a Willie Horton-style ad against Black Democratic opponent Deval Patrick. It's kinda semi-factual and racist. Read more and watch the ad here.
* Want to know why VA State Sen. Benny Lambert endorsed George "Deer Head in Your Mailbox" Allen and why this is wrong? The BlackProf has answers for you. BTW, BlackProf is doing a census of blogs dedicated to covering African-American issues. Help him out if you can.
* Joe Lieberman plays the race card and disses his former ally, Rev. Al Sharpton.
* YouTube.com finally decides to take on hate on their network more actively and gives Michelle Malkin the boot. Heh.