Which Republican will be the first to not accept Hastert's money now?

With Mike Sodrel adding himself to the list of those opting out on an in-district appearance with Hastert, it begs the question of who which Republican candidates will entertain Hastert?  Hastert has said a couple of times that he's had like 31 scheduled events, most of them fundraising, for Republican House candidates before the November election. A week has went by, and all he's got so far is no-shows.

Could it be Scott Garrett of NJ?

When asked if he would cancel an Oct. 16 fundraiser with Hastert, Garrett said until the investigations are complete he is "simply not willing to point fingers for the sake of political expediency." At least one GOP lawmaker -- Rep. Ron Lewis of Kentucky -- has canceled a fundraising appearance with Hastert.

Garrett's Democratic opponent, Paul Aronsohn, said by not canceling the fundraiser, Garrett is allowing his "silence to be bought."

If Garrett goes through with this, might NJ's 5th become competitive?

Tags: Denny Hastert, Mike Sodrel, Scott Garrett (all tags)

Comments

I was surprised that Garrett won the district in the first place.  It's Republican-leaning, yeah... but New Jersey typically doesn't elect nutjobs like Garrett.  Garrett actually said, "To me, the question should not be whether Kofi Annan should remain in charge.  The question is whether he should be in jail."

I expect such comments from Republicans from Texas, but not New Jersey.  If 2006 is the reverse of 1994, northeastern seats like Garrett's will be the first to fall.

by Tom 2006-10-06 07:29PM | 0 recs
Good grief! "Republican-leaning"?

I live in NJ-05, in Dumont, which, until it was gerrymandered out of the 9th (Dem Steve Rothman)was represented by Marge Roukema, a very acceptable Republican in my opinion.

The 5th does, as you say, include socially moderate and liberal parts of Bergen County, but it also includes the farm country areas of western NJ where cow tipping is the favorite pastime and the people are as conservative as Garrett.

I hope and pray that it becomes "competative" but realistically I think that only if Garrett was caught with his pants down molesting a minor at the crossroads of Routes 4 and 17 in Paramus would it become "competative".

by Jersey Devil 2006-10-06 08:44PM | 0 recs
they will take his money

but just don't want to be seen with him. Bad photo ops are to be avoided!

by Zack from the SFV 2006-10-06 07:38PM | 0 recs
Deadly diversions!

Iraq, wounded, shatered families, gross incompetence, Deficit, Illegals, Medicare part D, social security, Afganiban...

FOCUS, PEOPLE! Foley is another gay mariage diversion. A little is good, just to piss of the fundies, but DON'T LET GO OF THE OTHER ISSUES!

Jeebus

by shirt 2006-10-06 09:19PM | 0 recs
Re: Which Republican will be the first to not acce

Competitive. Sheeet boy. He takes that money he might as well just stop running now.

by smacfarl 2006-10-06 10:18PM | 0 recs
Re: Which Republican will be the first to not acce

Times like these I like to play the fun party game: Who's The Highest-Ranking Republican Not Embroiled in a Major Scandal?

Looks like the winner is either Senate Majority Whip Mitch McConnell or Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson, both relatively small fry. It's enough to make me cackle with glee.

by Gpack3 2006-10-06 11:07PM | 0 recs
Re: Which Republican will be the first

I don't know anything about that NJ-5 district but it is a good guess that if districts suddenly become competitive it will be a newer House member. When I looked at the '94 results in '96 I remember that half the incumbents we lost in '94 were freshman members. It was either exactly half or one short of half, something like 16 out of 34. So I hope we targeted the '04 GOP newcomers and '02 group this year. Some of them like Texas in the redistricted areas may not be vulnerable but otherwise I wouldn't concede anything.

Also, I know in '94 we lost a bunch of seats in Washington state so it's not necessarily only blue states where we can pick off multiple seats, but perhaps one with a distinct but not overwhelming red tint.

by jagakid 2006-10-07 02:02AM | 0 recs
Hastert's schedule

It would be really interesting to know what those 31 events were/are. Any ideas on where we might find a list?

by SLJ 2006-10-07 03:15AM | 0 recs
Re: Hastert's schedule

Checking his website for events at:

http://www.hastertforcongress.org/?secti onid=4&sectiontree=4

Oct 14 Mega Dinner is restricted to residents of the 14th District.

His program for encouraging leadership in high school students is on this site. There's a very short reading list which seems innocuous, spans the range of Churchill to JFK. What am I missing?

by Books Alive 2006-10-07 05:56AM | 0 recs
Chokin' Don Sherwood (PA-10)

October 18 fundraiser is still on.

by Adam B 2006-10-07 04:06AM | 0 recs
Sheila Sekula-Gibbs, tx-22

campaigning to replace Tom Delay.  She just had a fundraiser with Delay himself and Cheney a couple days ago, but now has put off a Hastert fundraiser for this week, saying she wants to "wait until the investigation is complete."

by gobacktotexas 2006-10-07 08:44AM | 0 recs
Re: Which Republican will be the first

If this question has already been asked and answered, I apologize. I'd like to know what will the Republican party and Republican candidates be doing with the campaign contributions received by Mark Foley.

http://www.tbo.com/news/nationworld/MGBA J9Y6VSE.html

by misscee 2006-10-07 11:04AM | 0 recs
Re: Which Republican will be the first...

Your lips to God's ears, Jerome. NJ5, as you know, is a republican district, but a moderate one and Garrett is a wingnut through and through. Paul Aronsohn is a great candidate and could actually win with some name recognition. (Aronsohn's internals bear that out.) Let's hope Garrett's silence on the Foley/Hastert mess helps.

by Sidd Finch 2006-10-07 07:52PM | 0 recs