Blue America and Tony Trupiano

Howie Klein is just a force in progressive politics.  He's smart, learns quickly, and will be a major lever pulling the party towards our values.  I trust his judgment, and he's asking all of us to help fund a campaign to help Tony Trupiano. I don't know Tony Trupiano, though I've been told that he's extremely progressive and running a good campaign on a really cheap budget.  One of the best admakers in the country is making an ad for Blue America to run in the district, and Blue America is going to run it.  Here's Howie.

A couple days ago one of the most impressive TV ad makers in America, Lars Sandvik , sent us an ad he had put together for Jim Webb. Only Webb isn't using it. I asked him if he could adapt it to one of the Blue America progressives. He said "yes" and, like everyone who works on Blue America, Lars has done everything pro bono and made sure everyone else involved would too. So which campaign would most benefit? John, Jane and I don't have any fancy Beltway consultants -- thank God -- but we have something way better: Markos. We got Markos to go over all the races with us and figure out which race would be most likely to benefit from this particular ad and where our limited budget would actually do enough... not just enough to send a message, but enough to swing a few points and win an election. In the end the four of us all came to the same conclusion: Tony Trupiano.

Tony's opponent is a posterboy for the whole concept of being a rubber stamp. He is one of the least independent-minded congressman in Washington, even to the point of being a bit of a laughing stock. A complete mama's boy, he became hysterical at the one debate he had with Tony and wound up making an idiot out of himself and then refusing any further debates. Since he actually gerrymandered the district for himself as a state legislator, he feels quite certain he's got this baby in the bag. He must be reading MyDD because he just gave away 80% of his campaign warchest -- all those legalized bribes for so many favors to so many corporations- to the RNCC.

Look at the Blue America ActBlue page. You've raised nearly half a million dollars and every $5 and $10 and $20 donation was pure grassroots. This is probably the last time we'll come asking for help in this cycle. If you have anything left you can spare, please consider going to the Blue America PAC and donating for television time buys for Tony now. We have to pull the trigger on Monday. So whatever we can raise between now and then, we put on the air.

Blue America is more ideological than the netroots page.  The netroots page is about supporting local blogospheres and candidates overlooked by DC insiders.  Blue America is about supporting progressives and getting to know candidates through blogging.  Both are extremely helpful to the values we all share, and this small campaign is part of introducing progressive professionals (like real admakers) into the political world.  All in all it's a good political value.

If you have any coin left, Howie will put it to good use. I'm putting in $50, and Blogpac is going to make a donation.  Consider this an early Halloween trick on the Republicans.  It's a scary season for them.

Tags: Tony Trupiano (all tags)

Comments

Re: Blue America and Tony Trupiano

I had the honor of having Howie host a fundraiser for my campaign this past Wednesday night, though FDL and Blue America. Quite humbling at the response it received.

http://www.firedoglake.com/2006/10/25/bl ue-america-in-wi-he-is-randy-koehn-here- hes-noonan/#respond

by Noonan 2006-10-28 10:02AM | 0 recs
Thank you, Matt. n/t

by Pachacutec 2006-10-28 10:17AM | 0 recs
Why advertising and politics do not mix

This is a good example why advertising really destroys politics. To make an in-place edit of a man whom Virginians are voting for, or against - by simply replacing a graphical image - is exactly what  a good statesman should not do, for the construction of his or her message.

Think about this for a second - isn't this what the republicans always do? Come up with some catchy, empty marketing slogan that hides their corruption? Then send it out to their talk show hosts?

I donate directly to campaigns but I do not donate to advertising firms.

by heyAnita 2006-10-28 11:17AM | 0 recs
Re: Why advertising and politics do not mix

The ad was completely rebuilt and every single issue was replaced. Not a single Virginia issue remains. And there's no ad firm involved. But I agree that it's a really good thing to donate directly to candidates.

by DownWithTyranny 2006-10-28 03:35PM | 0 recs
Take a look at the ad

I just posted the ad over at Down With Tyranny. Please take a look. And if you want to help us elect Tony Trupiano in MI-11, like Matt suggests, this is the place-- right next to the American flag cleaning up our national's capital.

by DownWithTyranny 2006-10-28 04:50PM | 0 recs
Re: Blue America and Tony Trupiano

I like their efforts alot this cycle

by Jerome Armstrong 2006-10-28 11:46AM | 0 recs
Re: Blue America and Tony Trupiano

Tony is an outstanding candidate and this ad sums him and his opponent up perfectly.  I hope everyone will donate and show their support.

by djtyg 2006-10-28 01:10PM | 0 recs
Re: Blue America and Tony Trupiano

Tony is a real progressive, not a damn conservative running as a D.   He is for impeachment, accountability, and clean elections.  He wants to clean house and kick ass. He calls a spade a spade, and he will do the netroots proud.  Here, check him out for yourself.

by dkmich 2006-10-28 02:44PM | 0 recs
Re: Blue America and Tony Trupiano

woah

this is the first time that i've seen any MI congressional race discussed on the front page of MyDD or Daily Kos.  This is a huge deal for us Michigan bloggers!

Tony is a great candidate and has run an amazing grassroots campaign.

by whogotthegravy 2006-10-28 04:39PM | 0 recs
Re: Blue America and Tony Trupiano

Howie Klein has done as much or more to expand the "playing field" and help out great candidates ignored by the insiders than anyone on the planet.

by howardpark 2006-10-28 04:50PM | 0 recs
Re: Blue America and Tony Trupiano

Matt, thanks for taking notice and for the donation.  The last few days have been empowering and energizing for me and my entire campaign staff.  I knew in my heart that if I stayed true to my message and continued to believe that the change we ALL want was possible, people would find us, and they have.

I believe that bold, Progressive, and responsible change is something all Americans will embrace.  The message AND action we take once elected will begin to define a new America that will represent "We the People".  Remember that?

I do!

I have never done anything so hard in my life, and this journey to be elected to Congress has been a gift.  I now see hope where is was absent, and the fear I see in the eyes of good people everywhere is beginning to be replaced with possibility.  We now need to finish the job and elect REAL Democrats who are unafriad to speak truth to power.

When elected, this will be one seat we share.  As I remind most people I talk to, the title of Representative is not just a title, it's a job description.  I think many electeds never knew that, or ignore that.  Yes, I will represent Michigan's 11th CD, but I will ask that all of you lend me your voice.

I sincerely represent dynamic change.  Elect me and we are electing all of you.  It may be the easiest promise I can make and keep.

Thank you all again.  Now, let's win!

tony@tony4congress2006.com