Republican Race Baiting And Why We Fight

While Republicans whine about my attempt to engage in search engine optimization, and then run home as quickly as possible to try it themselves, they are engaging in full-out racist tactics in places like Tennessee. Even Chris Mathews is pissed:

Search engine optimization? Evil! Racism? Well, let's put millions of dollars behind the ads! Then let's attack people with Parkinson's disease, and have ABC News directly state that the media needs to win back the trust of conservatives.

After the 2004 elections, Republicans immediately called on Democrats to roll over and give in to their agenda. In the two weeks before the election, I had to suffer through Republican ads that accused Lois Murphy and Ginny Schrader of raping girls in Afghanistan. I remember thinking at the time that it was ads like that which guaranteed I would continue fighting as hard as possible, no matter what happened in the 2004 elections. Racist ads like the ones currently being run against Harold Ford, and the straight up evil attacks on Michael J. Fox make a similar guarantee. If Republicans want to know where the progressive movement came from, and why it has helped inject a general feistiness and a willingness to engage in projects such as the Googlebomb, they could look at their own attacks on Democrats and progressives for one of the main reasons. Remember these attacks, just as we remember the attacks on our patriotism for opposing the Iraq war. Keeping them in mind will give you new energy to fight back when you need it most.

Tags: Media, Republicans, TN-SEN (all tags)

Comments

Re: Republican Race Baiting And Why We Fight

I saw Hardball last night, with Chris Matthews, Bob Herbert, and Mike Barnacle just slapping around this hapless conservative radio host Michael Smerconish from Philadelphia about the ads against Ford.  Smerchonish tried to suggest the ad was funny and not racist, and Barnacle, Herbert, and Matthews wouldn't let him get away with it.

Then I flipped to Larry King where Stephanie Miller, Ed Schultz were on with conservative talkers Neal Boortz and Mark Larson (who looks as though he were straight out of the seventies, the inspiration for the Ron Burgundy character in Anchorman!).  Larry King brought up the Michael J. Fox slam by Limbaugh.  Boortz refused to criticize Rush, but did say he was with Fox on stem cell research.  Larson tried to give a lame defense of Rush and say he wouldn't have said it that way, but King, Miller, Schultz smacked him down, and King pointed out that Boston Legal had lots of editing to make MJF look less shaky.

These give me heart.

What does not is this.

Daniel

by calscientist 2006-10-25 01:48PM | 0 recs
Ignore Rove, Matthews is the Story

Middle of the road voters are getting the message from Matthews and others that it's time to dump the Republicans.  Rove is just blowing smoke. When the polls say that 16% of the voters think that Congress is doing a good job you know that change is coming. I don't think that Congress has ever been this unpopular.

The Republican tactics are so crude that they are adding to the anti-Republican mood.

by FishOutofWater 2006-10-25 03:19PM | 0 recs
Re: Republican Race Baiting And Why We Fight

A few year ago, I remember holding my tongue as Rush Limbaugh was going around slurring his words like the elephant man and weeping and giving that over the top performance of what he called "autoimmune inner-ear disease".

Of course it was all just a put on, and I think we all knew it at the time. Eventually, we found out he was just desparatly addicted to oxycotin and medically induced 4-hour erections...and thought it might all get him a sympathy f** from Kagan.

Maybe Rush is just angry because he thinks Fox is stealing the only bit that ever got Rush laid()

(*) medically induced

by cargocult 2006-10-26 02:52AM | 0 recs
Re: Republican Race Baiting And Why We Fight

A few year ago, I remember holding my tongue as Rush Limbaugh was going around slurring his words like the elephant man and weeping and giving that over the top performance of what he laughably referred to as "suffering from autoimmune inner-ear disease".

Of course it was all just a put on, and I think we all knew it at the time. Eventually, we found out he was just desparatly addicted to oxycotin and medically induced 8-hour erections...and thought maybe his theatrics might get him a sympathy f*-* from Kagan.

Maybe now Rush is just angry because he thinks Fox is stealing the only bit that ever got Rush some lovin' *(see note below). Radio guys hate it when people steal their bits donchaknow.

note: medically induced lovin' under fale pretenses

by cargocult 2006-10-26 02:59AM | 0 recs
Re: Republican Race Baiting And Why We Fight
For what it's worth, I was so ticked by the ad that I sent Ford a donation equal to the honorarium I will be getting for an upcoming talk. I will not roll over and let the Republicans without doing what I can to help defeat their racist agenda. I hope others act in similar ways to create a strong pro-Ford backlash.
T.J. Pempel
by Pempel 2006-10-25 01:53PM | 0 recs
Re: Republican Race Baiting And Why We Fight

he just smirks at all this bullshit and he encourages it all the time.

What gives? His party circuit looks like it's going down.

by zappatero 2006-10-25 02:09PM | 0 recs
Re: Republican Race Baiting And Why We Fight

The white woman in that ad looks a little familiar---from some past TV show or movie.  Anyone know how to find out who she is?  I checked a few places but am not getting anywhere with it.

Brian

by Brian63 2006-10-25 02:11PM | 0 recs
Re: Republican Race Baiting And Why We Fight

So, do you think that the Goopers would whine if the DNC made a commercial showing a pack of hooded Klansmen chanting for Corker (or Allen)? I suspect that the outrage-o-meters would be pegged.

by RentedMule 2006-10-25 02:33PM | 0 recs
Re: Republican Race Baiting And Why We Fight

Republicans rule so badly that they create their own enemies. You'd think the rich idiots who back republicans would at least make a passing attempt at competence, when doing the auditions...

by smacfarl 2006-10-25 02:34PM | 0 recs
Re: Republican Race Baiting And Why We Fight

When I was 5 years old, we had a mock election in first grade. It was an evangelical religious school and everyone knew I was the only kid in the class that voted for Dukakis. After the vote which was held at the end of the school day, one of my classmates came up to me. So what did she ask?

"How can you be a Christian and vote Democrat?"

That moment has been burned into my soul for almost 20 years. It's why I think we need to destroy the GOP totally so that something new can grow in its place.

by MNPundit 2006-10-25 03:18PM | 0 recs
Why We Fight Indeed

A Democratic state house candidate here in Ohio is now experiencing a "Willie Horton" type attack ad against him because he is "100% pro-life" and is therefore against the death penalty.

http://www.buckeyestateblog.com/ohio_gop _trots_out_willie_horton

They're going to keep doing this until it finally stops working for them.

by Linwood Campaign Services 2006-10-25 04:23PM | 0 recs
A rare moment of clarity?

Usually Matthews enables what is wrong with the GOPers.

I give the man some credit for, at long last, having some decency.

by jcjcjc 2006-10-25 05:27PM | 0 recs
Why We Fight

Keep fighting Chris!

by Disgusted in St Louis 2006-10-25 05:31PM | 0 recs
Re: Republican Race Baiting And Why We Fight
Luckily in 2004 when Ryan was running for the republicans for the Senate and Obama running for the Dems, there wasn't that stuff going on.  The usual political ads.
Illinois has as much racism as anywhere but, the repubicans did not bring it in.  It may be because Ryan was dealing with his own problems then, after he dropped out, they spent a month looking for someone, anyone to run against obama.  When they found someone it was Keyes so the race thing was totally mute point.
But, we have alot of activist blacks in illinois and it's the home state of Jesse Jackson so ....
by vwcat 2006-10-25 06:22PM | 0 recs
What this is really about

Chris, this is all about advertising for you. First, the media are going out to try to find a way to make you a poster child. They will affix themselves to you and suck you dry if they can. Their every agenda item is driven by their need to snuff out blogs and they will never succeed.
The blogosphere represents a major damage item to televised media. And shrinking you down away from your carefully constructed thought to the dumb bill o reilly type ideas that people throw out when they have a camera on them , thats not what we want to see and believe me we are not tuning in.

No, this is about advertising. I think this is positive for Google so that google can continue to modify their search algorithm. The best news of this would be that google responds with special adaptation to stop google bombing.

The second best, is that the "optimizations" that tune towards +objective+ reporting are discovered instead of liberal bias or slant.

Because yellow journalism , is yellow journalism even if it comes from a yellow dog

by heyAnita 2006-10-25 06:38PM | 0 recs
Re: Republican Race Baiting And Why We Fight

as far as iam concerned ford is getting what he deserves.hes a raceist against homosexuals and has no problem attaking them to get elected.i will not vote for anybody with his views.i am not gay,but i see this hole gay marriage deal just the tip of the communistic republican facist regeam .gay marriage does nothing to hurt marriage.i just wish i could say the same about heteromarriage.

by idahojim 2006-10-26 03:48AM | 0 recs
Harold For can make that an Ad

chris matthews talking that things like this is bad for America

by jasmine 2006-10-26 05:28AM | 0 recs