Open Thread

I'm going to be running around for a couple hourss. USe this open thread to tell the world what is on your mind.

Also, Kerry and Kennedy are each about to give $500,000 tot he DSCC. The pressure is working.

Use It Or Lose It Update: Norman Dicks is now on board, to the tune of at least $100K. Also, last night Rep. Markey raised $1M for the DCCC, and gave a lot more (numbers will be ready soon). Also, a statement from Diana DeGette should be coming soon.

The seal is starting to break. Expect more tomorrow. Members are starting to pile it on. Your calls are making a huge impact. I would also like to welcome a new partner to the campaign, True Majority.

Tags: Open Threads (all tags)

Comments

Re: Open Thread

Glad to see NJ opened the door to Civil unions or gay marriage.  Not a complete win, but getting there.  We will see what the legislature does, although I bet they take the out they were given and follow in Vermont's footsteps.

Either way, my feeling is the residency requirement in Mass will be gone by the end of 2008.

by yitbos96bb 2006-10-25 01:44PM | 0 recs
Feelin Good About Missouri

Despite the response ad to Michael J. Fox featuring Cardinal Pitcher Jeff Suppan, my gut tells me we are going to win Missouri i.e. Claire McCaskill. The minimum wage and stem cell referendums are gonna be net positives.

by howardpark 2006-10-25 02:22PM | 0 recs
Re: Feelin Good About Missouri

I guess what you're saying is that this pitcher, mr. whats-his-name, has more name recognition than the original republican kiddo Michael Fox, shooting down the bush republicans?

by heyAnita 2006-10-25 06:35PM | 0 recs
Why not GoogleBomb even More?

I don't understand the rational about the 50 googlebombs.

Why if a race was included in the list of potential races, why not list it for people to use?

I'm sure my race wasn't the only overlooked but it seems to me that we just wanted a nice, clean number '50' races to GoogleBomb and not another arbitrary number ala '61'.

I'm going through with my plan to GoogleBomb Sue Kelly in my NY-19 race but its sad that i have to go it alone.

-- MrMacMan

by MrMacMan 2006-10-25 02:35PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

I think the new VoteVets ad just rocks.  Powerful.

by Robert P 2006-10-25 02:42PM | 0 recs
Re: Where best to put contributions

Missouri, Tennesee, Virginia and Arizona senate races - Now taken, nothing is for granted, but with general consensus we'll take the house, shouldn't we put more focus on donating to these senate races?

I include Arizona on the off chance that early election returns from the East Coast encourage Dem voting/discourage GOP turnout.  Call it the Ace-in-the-hole philosophy.

Thoughts?

by MtnFrost 2006-10-25 02:43PM | 0 recs
Re: Where best to put contributions

If all 4 break GOP, I'm calling Shenanigans!!!

by yitbos96bb 2006-10-25 02:45PM | 0 recs
Re: Where best to put contributions

I agree the senate is more tenuous. However, it is much harder to make a difference in a multimillion dollar race than a hundred thou race, like many of the newly competitive house races. If you're only giving 50 or a hundred bucks, I think it would have more impact in hopefully pushing one more house seat our way. I also think it's a) too early to accept the house as won--keep working, and b) better to have a bigger majority than a slimmer one.

As an addendum, if you are considering Arizona-sen in play, I'd consider Nevada also (both are longshots in the west), especially as it seems money is very short with Carter.

by jujube 2006-10-25 02:57PM | 0 recs
Re: Where best to put contributions

Yes, Nevada should've been in that list.  Funny, I was actually thinking about Carter while typing Arizona.

by MtnFrost 2006-10-25 03:06PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

It's great that Kerry and Kennedy pledged money. I really hope Hillary takes the initiative and writes a check too.

by blueryan 2006-10-25 02:45PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

Not a big HRC fan, not a hater either, but she has given "some", which is probably equivalent to what others have given.  If she is thinking about being Majority leader in the senate instead of running for President she should have dropped all $25 million into the Senate campaign.

by Robert P 2006-10-25 03:13PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

Obviously she's not, which is why I keep pointing out that this campaign could just as easuily be named the "Lock in Hilly-Billy's financial lead in 2008" Program.

I find it funny Chris is pushing people to demand that everyone unilaterally disarm in 2008, "for the team".

by ElitistJohn 2006-10-25 03:29PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

The thing is, if she gave all $25 million away, then declares in January.  She could probably have another $25 million in 2 months with Bill leading the charge.

by Robert P 2006-10-25 04:21PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

Thus even more reason to include her on this. Apparently, under your logic, she's the worst hoarder of all as she can just replace all of it.

by ElitistJohn 2006-10-25 05:48PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

Are you some kind of freakin' idiot?  I think she should give her money to this.  I think she is losing Democratic support for whatever she chooses to do in the future by not.

All I originally said was that she had already given amounts equal to those coming out of other campaigns.

For God's sake don't be such a knee-jerk, online loud-mouth and actually READ!!!

I get so sick of people talking smack online instead of trying to have a legitimate conversation.

by Robert P 2006-10-25 06:32PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

I still believe in terms of the MA and NJ Senate races in 08 we should support the Congressman who donates the highest % of their money this year.  Personally I want Holt in NJ and as of now Frank in MA, but others are not out of the question yet, with the exception of Meehan of course, I won't support him unless he donates 2 million of his warchest within the next 3 days.

by Johnny17 2006-10-25 02:48PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

I could tentatively get behind that, assuming all parties fit my progressive agenda.

by Robert P 2006-10-25 03:14PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

Markey in MA, most likely... he's more progressive according to Progressivepunch, he, McGovern and Tierney are all about equal in that sense (ahead of Frank... Olver is too but he's far too old to think of running for anything).

In NJ, Frank Pallone will likely run again who is by far a better choice than Andrews (or Menendez, if it was '06), though it's a hard choice once Holt is tossed into that equation.

by KainIIIC 2006-10-25 05:26PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

Where is Markey in regards to his COH and how much he's given?  Compared to Meehan he's looking better every day.

by Karatist Preacher 2006-10-25 06:13PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

Kerry will be in PA Thursday to campaign with Pat Murphy (Bucks County Comm College).

Maybe I can say thanks!

by lutton 2006-10-25 03:05PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

Last night I asked if anyone knew whether the MN Dem delegation had given and how much to the DCCC. I still have not heard. Can someone help me out? Chris? I tried calling my Congressman, Martin Sabo, who is retiring but there was no answer in his Minneapolis or DC offices. He is retiring this year so I suspect the office may already be closed.

by forrealfor 2006-10-25 03:11PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

There's a list of Dem Congressmen and their dues to the DCCC: http://images.dailykos.com/images/user/3 /caucus_report3.htm

Just a fair warning, I don't think these numbers were updated with Use It Or Lose It, so they may have changed.

But if the numbers are current, Sabo still owes the DCCC 170k in dues, which he may have trouble paying since he only has 212k COH.

by bogun 2006-10-25 04:50PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

Was going to add this into my last reply but posted too quick.  Preview is my friend...

Rest of the MN delegation -

Oberstar still owes 50k in dues to the DCCC, which he should be able to pay.  I wouldn't expect a whole lot from him, since his opponent Rod Grahams is a more serious opponent than he's had in a while. So even though Oberstar will still be easily reelected, he may have to spend some money to do so.

Peterson and McCollum seem like they've done a lot to help the DCCC, so no need to call them except to thank them.

by bogun 2006-10-25 04:53PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

Thanks for the info Bogun.

Rod Grams is an absolute ass. He has no chance of winning and he is only running to try and boost republican performance in the 8th and suppress Dem performance.

What I do not understand is if Sabo still owes the DCCC $170k and he has $212k on-hand and he is retiring why can't he put that money to good use. Isn't that what the donors gave him the money for in the first place, that is to elect Democrats.

by forrealfor 2006-10-25 05:06PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

Did you guys hear Robert Siegel challenging Rove's view of the elections!!!

Awesome...

http://www.rawstory.com/news/2006/Rove_d ukes_it_out_with_NPR_1025.html

The key for me was this

"And I think we saw this earlier this year in a blue state among blue voters and that's the Connecticut senatorial primary. There was only one issue: Iraq. Thirty-four of the states voters are Democrats eligible to participate in the primary. Forty percent of them turned out. Just over 7 percent of them voted to get out now, in a blue state."

"Lieberman went from being way behind to being narrowly behind on Election Day, because as the election got closer, people had to think about the consequences to America of winning or losing."

So Rove uses the August CT dem primary numbers as a model for November turn out!!! And then instead of noting that this was just about the biggest trunout for this election in history for dems, he some how says this was not enough. This is august man! Vacation time. If anything these numbers were huge. Joe got handed his ass.

And the kicker Rove is citing Joe's near loss as good news for republicans!! This shows two things. Rove is under unexpected pressure from Seigel and so he goes for his best news without thinking and its... JOE LIEBERMEN. This shows just how bad things are for republicans as well as just how far in bed Joe is with the administration.

If I were in Ned's campaign I would take this NPR radio clip and use it as a campaign add. Forget the kiss. Rove has just admited to the fact that Joe is his trojan horse!! Is that what Lieberman voters want for connecticut?

Rove just made the radio ad that will swing the election for Lamont. Joe is Rove's catspaw nothing more.

by smacfarl 2006-10-25 03:46PM | 0 recs

Paul Kanjorski's office (PA-11) were pretty rude about the whole thing

First the staffer complained she got "25 calls" today about it, I was polite, and just said I wanted my rep to get good press

she said he didn't need it because he wasn't running for a leadership position, hence he doesn't need to give anymore

Then about the "expanded field" she said "we're writing new checks but we aren't going to say publically how much"

i tried polite, i pushed back politely, in the end, it was clear: Kanjorski's office doesn't give a fuck, I recommend anyone in PA call Kanjorksi's office and complain about negative feedback you've gotten from members of his own district!

by thorgrim 2006-10-25 04:33PM | 0 recs
Kerry and Kennedy could easily pony up $1mil each

But this is a start. It pains me that they have to be shamed into giving. Tells you a lot about some of our so-called leaders.

Has anyone heard a thing from Senator Evan Bayh of Indiana? John Aravosis of AMERICAblog just labeled him the worst of the worst.

by rosebowl 2006-10-25 04:38PM | 0 recs
Gov. K. in Oregon up by 11

New poll in Oregon. Gov. Kulongoski (on most endangered list) up by 11 points, 47-36.

Kulongoski 47% and Saxton 36%. No traction for Saxton! It's Riley and Associates. I'm not a fan of them but I'll take it. Biggest move is with the Independents, moving to Kulongoski, and Saxton losing some of his base.
http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/kg w_102506_news_gov_race_poll_.74398a9c.ht ml

by cmpnwtr 2006-10-25 05:31PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

No, just their allies. Like all thoose Mass. Reps who are known Kerry partisans. Or the ones in NM who are known to be for Richardson.

by ElitistJohn 2006-10-25 05:48PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

Somebody get the clip of Limbaugh imitating Michael J fox up quick!!

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archive s/010578.php

by smacfarl 2006-10-25 06:46PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

Has anyone called Stu Rothenberg? What kind of cash does he have lying around?

Has he searched his wall safes in Palm Beach and Napa Valley?

by Kagro X 2006-10-25 06:59PM | 0 recs
Re: Why not GoogleBomb even More?

I dont even have to -- when we were all asked to compile articles to use the NY-19 was included in the list.

-- MrMacMan

by MrMacMan 2006-10-25 08:31PM | 0 recs
Re: Open Thread

Here is what is on my mind: Sean Hannity is a coward. Dick Cheney is a coward. George Bush is a pee-his-pants coward. Can we hammer this point home? It was said well by someone: if you believe there is a war on terror then you are a coward.

by pwax 2006-10-26 03:12AM | 0 recs
publicity

mention of "Use it or Lose It" in both the Hartford Courant(a paragraph)and the New York Times today.

by MVD 2006-10-26 11:16AM | 0 recs