Use It Or Lose It: Republicans Using It More

OK, considering how often I have been told about the huge amounts of money safe Dems are giving to Democratic challengers and the DCC, now I'm actually getting a little enraged. CQ politics has the September transfers to the DCCC and the NRCC of over $100,000 from safe incumbents. Here are the transfers of over $100K form safe Democrats to the DCCC:Notable transfers from campaign committees of House Democrats:
  • John P. Murtha, Pa.: $200,000
  • Charles B. Rangel, N.Y.: $200,000
  • Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, Calif.: $185,000
  • Allyson Y. Schwartz, Pa.: $150,000
  • Minority Whip Steny H. Hoyer, Md.: $150,000
  • Ben Chandler, Ky.: $125,000
  • Mel Watt, N.C.: $110,000
  • Louise M. Slaughter, N.Y.: $100,000
  • John D. Dingell, Mich.: $100,000
That's $1.27M. Now, here are the transfers for over $100K from Republicans to the NRCC:
  • John Shadegg, Ariz.: $350,950
  • Charlie Norwood, Ga.: $100,000
  • Gary G. Miller, Calif.: $100,000
  • Joe Pitts, Pa.: $100,000
  • Rodney P. Frelinghuysen, N.J.: $100,000
  • Shelley Moore Capito, W.V.: $100,000
  • Gresham Barrett, S.C.: $100,000
That comes out to $3,531,950, or $2.3M more for Republicans in large transfers than Democrats in large transfers. Now, Republicans have a pay-to-play system where how much you donate to the NRCC is a factor in determining seniority in Congress. However, elections also have a pay to play system, where if you don't have a majority in the House, you can't get anything done, and you can't stop Bush's agenda. The entire reason why the NRCC has more money in the bank that the DCCC is because Republican House members in safe districts are transferring more to the NRCC than Democratic House members in safe districts are transferring to the DCCC.

I'm sure that if you have made any calls on the Use It or Lose It campaign that you have been told, at least once, just how much money the Democratic Representative in question has given to the DCCC and Democratic challengers. However, no matter how much they have given, the fact remains that they are not given at equal rates to their Republican opponents. Not even close. This is something you need to remind them of when you call their offices and ask them to give more.

Safe Republicans are giving more than safe Democrats. Call safe Democrats in your state and tell them that.

Tags: Activism, Fundraising, House 2006, Use It (all tags)

Comments

Re: Use It Or Lose It: Republicans Using It More

What the Republicans understand is that their funding streams will be serverely cut off if they lose one or both houses of Congress, so why not spend the cash now?

Meanwhile, Dems will have funding streams open as a result of taking control. So they have to think long-term here about how much easier it will be to replenish that cash after the election if all goes well. (On that note, it seems that those Dems that are potential committee chairs would be the most receptive to this initative).

by Hoyapaul 2006-10-23 03:45PM | 0 recs
To be (DCCC) or not to be
I may have mentioned this before but I seem to alternately see posts condemning the DCCC for their poor strategy and then posts on how little Democratic politicians are giving to the DCCC.
Is there another way that candidates can give large sums to individual candidates large sums for their campaigns? Is it being used by any?
by carsick 2006-10-23 04:28PM | 0 recs
please excuse
the typos and repetitions above.
Kids, pumpkin carving etc...
by carsick 2006-10-23 04:30PM | 0 recs

for compiling this information. I wish we had a safe Dem House incumbent here. Maybe Braley will become one in the future.

I was surprised by the DCCC poll of IA-03 that you cited on Breaking Blue.

I had assumed Boswell was out of danger, but recently I had a very worrying conversation with someone close to the Boswell campaign. I commented that the challenge from Lamberti was not serious, and this person told me that if I could see the information that he or she could see, I would understand that it was in fact very serious.

Following that conversion I assumed that Boswell had done some internal polling showing Lamberti gaining on him. But who knows what is really going on?

Boswell has done well in the past by getting the support of Reagan Democrats. In 2004 Kerry's winning margin in Polk County (Iowa's largest) was about 9,000 votes, but Boswell's margin was 26,000 votes in the same county. The Bush/Boswell voters tended to be in blue-collar, socially conservative areas in and around Des Moines.

by desmoinesdem 2006-10-23 04:43PM | 0 recs
Re: Use It Or Lose It: Republicans Using It More

Is DCCC Chair Rahm Emmanuel encouraging safe Democratic congressionmen to transfer to the DCCC?

by David18 2006-10-23 05:25PM | 0 recs
Re: Use It Or Lose It: Republicans Using It More

No, Rahm Emanuel is only a bully and only has balls when he's pushing progressives out of Democratic primaries and motherfucking people like Cegelis.

All this talk about tough Rahm.  Well, Rahm, get your shit together and pressure some of these guys to give your committee more money.  Now.

by jgarcia 2006-10-23 06:49PM | 0 recs
Re: Use It Or Lose It: Republicans Using It More

I called Ed Pastor's campaign (the only Arizonan on the list) and left a message on Friday.  I'm going to call again tomorrow and tell them how much Shadegg has given.  However, it would be really helpful, if the info is available, to know how much he's already given.  Would it be possible to add a column to the Use_It.htm table, showing how much the reps in the list have donated so far?  Where would one research this information?  I'd be happy to look it up for Shadegg, and if you post a call for researchers on the main page, with a link or links to sources, I have no doubt that the MYDD community will get the totals for all of them.  Then we could start checking Congressmen who actually hit the thirty percent mark off on the list.

by Alex 2006-10-23 05:40PM | 0 recs
Re: Use It Or Lose It: Republicans Using It More

You ought to be able to look that up on www.tray.com.

by Sandwich Repairman 2006-10-23 11:42PM | 0 recs
Question

My state (MN) has no safe Dems that haven't given a good portion already.  Is it still worth it for me to call other states, or should I leave that to in-state residents?

I'll probably have to wait a few days to make any calls anyway, I've got a nasty cold and can't really talk right now :/

by bogun 2006-10-23 06:36PM | 0 recs
Re: Question

Based on my experience working in Congress, I would say no.  But you might check to see what Mark Dayton has in his account.  He obviously doesn't need it at this point.

by Sandwich Repairman 2006-10-23 11:44PM | 0 recs
Re: Use It Or Lose It: Republicans Using It More

Rep. Mike Doyle (PA) actually called me back today, despite being a nobody... he said he's running a fundraiser and just got off the phone with Rahm Emmanuel to cut him another check.  So I think he's doing alright... he says that he's been dropping money the DCCC's way since the beginning of the cycle.  Considering that he only has $300K in his account, I'd say he's telling the truth...

by eightball 2006-10-23 06:45PM | 0 recs
Re: Use It Or Lose It: Republicans Using It More

It seems apparent from the list that it is not so much that Repugs are giving more, but that more of them are giving. I'm surprised no one has noticed this.

I already called the rep I know best, and suggested 30% as instructed. Now I have a little egg on my face because he's listed here, a Dem. That's OK, it washes off. And I know this is just for September. So it could be that the aggregate giving looks different.

What does the leadership really think about this? OK, it's not pay-to-lead, but it seems as though the most effective pressure would come from them.

by frenchman 2006-10-23 07:45PM | 0 recs
hats off

use it or lose it and the

google ads campaign are both brilliant.

it is enraging.  and just wrong.

what are they waiting for? afraid of? thinking?

you pick the question.  i ask all three.

by kid oakland 2006-10-23 07:52PM | 0 recs
I'll call Capuano again tomorrow

and add this to my pitch.

Maybe his folks will pick up the phone this time.  (I'm being polite and clear -- it's not like they're avoiding me cause I'm obnoxious.)

by Kathy Paur 2006-10-23 08:49PM | 0 recs
Re: I'll call Capuano again tomorrow

In reference to Capuano, Meehan, Andrews and Pallone, and some others, it occurs to me that it might be helpful if we kept track of who actually DOES transfer money from their own account to the party/committee one, and thank and reward them for it afterward.  I learned in introductory Psych that reward generally works about 3 times as well as punishment.  If these guys and gals know that we'll remember them making a sacrifice for the team and perhaps help them when they're in trouble or seek higher office, maybe it would help convince them--at least enough to alleviate their worries about parting with some of the money they're stockpiling for future bids?

by Sandwich Repairman 2006-10-23 11:49PM | 0 recs
Re: Use It Or Lose It: Republicans Using It More

The Use It or Lose It campaign got some nice coverage in the LA Times this morning.

Web activists have a plan for Democrats
Safe incumbents are urged to send cash to candidates who could unseat Republicans. But is the strategy working?

The push offers another example of how the Internet is providing opportunities for activists to influence politics. Still, it's unclear how much pressure the campaign has generated.

In comments posted on the MyDD website, several activists have reported making calls to various Democratic House members. But Sandra Salstrom, the press secretary for Meehan, said the office had not received a single call. Nor, she added, was Meehan planning to transfer any of his bankroll to other campaigns.

by De Re Rustica 2006-10-24 05:55AM | 0 recs
Re: Use It Or Lose It: Republicans Using It More

just tried calling meehan's campaign office.  voicemail box is full.  DC office has no one answering (!)

I'll try capuano and markey tomorrow.

by dansomone 2006-10-24 11:01AM | 0 recs