Racial Politics Last Week - A Roundup

Brought to you by Jack Tuner of Jack & Jill Politics whilst cooking one tasty meal.

I figured my first turn at the racial roundup post should be inspired by an extra black authenticity. Thus, it is one day late! CP Time, yall. CP Time. Here we go:

Is Tupac's home changin?
Booker Rising discusses the declining black population of Oakland, CA and the impact on black businesses. Berkeley's North Gate News provides the context:

Barnett, who lives in East Oakland, has considered moving to the suburbs. He said he understands why people go. "People are leaving because it's so hard in Oakland right now," he said. "There are few jobs, high crime, and the schools are horrible. People want to go somewhere where their kids have a chance."
Sounds like "Black Flight" to me, and it's hard to blame folks, but some see a solution in joining up. From the same article:

Other black businesses have even joined the Latino Chamber of Commerce.

Meanwhile, further downstate...

Black folks try to give Heismann to brown folks
The Daily Breeze is reporting about attempts from some black residents in Gardena, CA to block a Latino market from coming to town.

About 75 neighbors packed the Gardena council chambers on Tuesday night to express opposition to the Numero Uno Market slated for the corner of Rosecrans and Normandie avenues.

"Everything coming into Gardena on our side is in Spanish," resident Dorothy Dawson said. "I thought we were in America."

That's funny, Sista Dorothy. I'm pretty sure white folks said the same thing about your people when yall decided to leave the plantations.

Is integration necessary for Survival?
After only two weeks of its race-based team structure, Survivor has forcibly integrated its teams for the remainder of the season. The AP explains:

...after only two episodes, producers merged the black, white, Asian and Latino tribes into two mixed-race gangs on the CBS reality show Thursday night. No explanation was given for the quick abandonment of segregation; it seemed to pass by so quickly as to mean nothing.

"We're back to America. We're a melting pot," said Parvati, a boxer on the new Raro tribe. "I love it."

Parvati clearly got hit in the head too many times. What an idiot. I suppose next he'll add, "now we can all get along happily ever after and pet kittens."

Sambo continues expansion to include WWE
The HeraldSun in Durham, NC reported on a local activist outraged by two soon-to-be-released wrestling characters known as Cryme Tyme. Check out the ads that have been running in the leadup.

video: Cryme Tyme 2

Here's a partial transcript.

Announcer: "Yo, yo, yo, yo. Pop a 40 and check your rollies. It's Cryme Tyme."

[scene of stereotypical, cell phone-chatting white male walking through stereotypical ghetto.]

Announcer: "Oh snap. looks like homeboy made a wrong turn coming home from Banana Republic."
GenericWhiteGuy: "You know I haven't seen a Starbucks in like five blocks?"
Announcer: "You want coffee, G? Well, the good news is there's something tall black and smooth right behind you."

[on screen, stereotypical, large, menacing, black man approaches stereotypical cell phone-chatting white male walking through stereotypical ghetto.]

GenericWhiteGuy: "I think I'm in the hood."
Announcer: "The bad news is this ain't no venti skim latte. This is Cryme Tyme."

Amazing. I guess wrestling isn't the place you go for lessons in racial tolerance. All of its characters are extreme stereotypes, but that doesn't make this latest entry any easier to follow.

Tags: black, California, housing, japanese, latino, survivor, wwe (all tags)

Comments

Re: Racial Politics Last Week - A Roundup

I am one of the leaders of Drinking Liberally, Oakland. I am white. My co-leader is black. He lives in Oakland. I live in Berkeley but spend most of my leisure time in Oakland.

I do not think your post says anything useful. Oakland is one of the most exciting places to be that I have experienced and I lived through the 60s in SF, the 70s in Berkeley and a have spent time in LA in the 80s and NYC.

There is more art, politics and cultural ferment going on in Oakland than I have seen anywhere in a long time.

If I want some spoon-fed cuteness I'll read the SF Chronicle thanks.

by Pericles 2006-10-01 05:34PM | 0 recs
Re: Racial Politics Last Week - A Roundup

So now MyDD is joining the SF Chronicle and its compelling narrative of
"Poor & middle class PoC are fleeing the central cities and their raising tide of... Home Prices!" ?
That right when the rich and childless are so desperate to get into SF and Oakland that they are pushing everyone else out of the city by outbidding them that gets morphed into "Black Flight!"

No people with money are moving into central cities and pushing others out. This is more pronounced in SF than Oakland but Oakland is attracted thousands of new people to its urban core. This is causing a poor and middle class "push" Of course the solution is to build moe infill housing but lots progressives hate that idea.

by EastBayBlue 2006-10-01 11:46PM | 0 recs
Re: Racial Politics Last Week - A Roundup

That's mighty whit - er, fine of you.

What's "white?"

What's "black?"

Do you not understand that we are all mongrels?

Jack is not an easy read but somewhere in there I think that is at least some of what he is saying.

Hope Jack doesn't slap me upside the head because he is after all - nevermind.

Best,  Terry

by terryhallinan 2006-10-02 05:36AM | 0 recs
Re: Racial Politics Last Week - A Roundup

Parvati is a "she," not a "he."

by wilder 2006-10-01 05:51PM | 0 recs
Does this have a real point?

You started OK with the story about black businesses.  I'd offer some academic views that black business was fairly badly degraded by desegregation anyhow, but ...

The rest of this is slop.

Are there dumb people who exploit race to make a buck?  Yup.

I really don't know that we need to feed into the worst tendancies of a dense media just to produce a psoting on MyDD during an election cycle.

And if we do need to, let's keep it to George Allen comments.

I thought MyDD was supposed to be clearing out these all-emotion/no-substance postings in favor of becoming more nuts-and-bolts?

by jcjcjc 2006-10-01 08:37PM | 0 recs
"Let the healing begin"

I have been in Los Angeles now for about 8 years and the tension between the Black and Latino/a communities are very real.  This seems to be case for the folks down at the bottom end of the economic ladder.  These tensions are being manifested mostly in high schools due to fights between Blacks and Latina/os.  These fights draw media attention. Mayor Villariagosa, while supported by most of the local Black political and church leaders, only tends to react to these incidents. This is unfortunate because these leaders are in dialogue with each other and pursuing policies that are beneficial to both communities. However, these conversations are not carried out in public.  I arrive at these conclusions based on the buried stories I read in the LA Times and LA Weekly.  I also have very little hope that any serious dialogue will take place due to the volatile status of immigration politics in California. The unions are the local bright.  They are the most sensitive to racial issues. They groom and promote progressive and diverse leaders. Columnist Harold Meyerson has covered this topic in great detail. However, the unions are intensely focused on the thier expansion and contract goals. This makes sense.  As a result, there exists a vacuum of leaders which could lead a public dialogue such as the ones that have been held between Black and Jewish leaders. SO in the meantime, I am hoping at this void will be filled by academic professionals.  Lets hope that respectful communication and understanding begins soon because these two community share and desire the same opportunities and goals. And their fates are intertwined such that their conditions will become better or worse simultaneously.

"To live and die in LA, it's the place to be
You've got to be there to know it, what everybody wanna see " Tupac Shakur

by jncamane 2006-10-01 08:48PM | 0 recs
I appreciate what you guys are trying to do...

But doing it before we all actually have a healthy (or, screw it, even unhealthy) discussion about race in the blogosphere just looks like you're slapping a RugRats BandAid on a gaping wound.

If you haven't noticed, the PoC-blogosphere (and empathetic non-POCs) are still chewing the fallout bone from the Blogger lunch, and your attempts to "move on" without actually addressing, or even engaging, PoC's before determining that this is the "next step" is part and parcel of the whole damn problem.  I know you guys mean well, but, you don't get to decide.  We're still pissed.  Maybe, instead, we get to decide when it's time to move on with the cutesy "Racial Roundup", which, surprisingly, doesn't even touch on the contructive criticism that's been brewing in PoC-Bloggerland (gee, Colin McEnroe deemed it required reading for his Blogging class at Trinity College - you'd think that liberal blogtopia might notice as well.)

by MBW 2006-10-01 09:50PM | 0 recs
Gardena: An Historical Note
I'm a native Angeleno, and growing up, Gardena was the Japanese city in Los Angeles.  So now we have the Japanese pushed out by the blacks being pushed out by the latinos.  Sounds like Compton all over again, though Compton began as a white city.
BTW: have the Japanese gone quietly, or did they hang tough?
by traveler 2006-10-02 05:15AM | 0 recs
Tupac was not from Oakland

Tupac was not from Oakland. He was from Marin City.

Trust me on this one.