Foley's Farewell to the Departing Page Class of 2001-2002

Bumped from the diaries -- Jonathan

Here are two select passages from Foley's farewell on the House floor to the departing page class of 2001-2002.

The telling (in hindsight) passages are in bold.

"Mr. SHIMKUS. I thank my colleague. Now someone who spends a lot of time with you also, the gentleman from Florida (Mr. Foley), would like to say a thank you.

Mr. FOLEY. I warn all of you not to cry in front of me, please, so I can get through this very important day with you without shedding tears as well....

And, of course, Melanie, and finally John [redacted]. John was the highest bidder on lunch with Mark Foley. Maybe you all do not know this story, but John had paid considerable sums to dine with  me. I had offered to take the winning bidder to lunch in the Members' dining room. Then I heard how much John [redacted] paid. And I said, ``John, there is no way in the world after you committed so much money to have lunch with me that I would dare take you downstairs to eat in the Members' dining room.'' I said, ``Where do you want to go?'' He says, without reservation, ``Morton's.'' I said, ``Morton's? Like in Morton's Steakhouse?'' He said, ``Oh, would that be too much?'' I said, ``Oh, no, we'll go.'' I said, ``Call your mother, get permission, make sure she notifies the Clerk and we will go to Morton's.'' And so we proceeded to cruise down in my BMW to Morton's."

Full transcript:

http://www.washingtonwatchdog.org/enviro nmental_justice/documents/cr/02/jn/06/cr 06jn02-89.html

Tags: FL-16, Foley, John Shimkus, Mark Foley, Pages, Shimkus (all tags)

Comments

need one more redaction in the text

you'll see it.

by kid oakland 2006-10-01 10:50AM | 0 recs
Re: need one more redaction in the text

Well, I'll admit this is a creepy subject, but it appears to me that John (Redacted) would now be an adult and perhaps an elected official to boot, unless I have run into a bizarre googling coincidence.

So, um, I'll yield to this community's sense of propriety. Although if I can figure it out anyone with google can figure it out.

by jondevore 2006-10-01 12:41PM | 0 recs
Re: need one more redaction in the text

Redacted is the youngest member of the Valdosta City Council and also the youngest in Valdosta's history.

by FishOutofWater 2006-10-01 02:07PM | 0 recs
Pages warned about Foley five years ago
ABC News continues to lead on this story:
by stevehigh 2006-10-01 01:14PM | 0 recs
Re: need one more redaction in the text

This was in the Congressional Record, and I don't think going to Morton's is defamatory.

In any case, the bit about permission from parent and permission from the Clerk is likely one of the reforms instituted after Crane/Studds, and I bet Foley was also following the letter of the law and House rules when he waited until they left town to e-mail with them.

by Dan Hartung 2006-10-01 02:38PM | 0 recs
Bidding to go out with a known predator

The House leadership knew that Foley was a sexual predator and they had the kids bid to go to lunch with him???  That is the issue.

by FishOutofWater 2006-10-01 05:05PM | 0 recs
Good lord

this is just too much

The nice thing about today is you are on C-SPAN. And this is recorded.

Somebody.. quick.. to the CSPAN video vaults! Ya know.. the vault in White Sulphur Springs, WV.

by RBH 2006-10-01 10:58AM | 0 recs
Re: Good lord

I barely graduated from high school, and I did not go to college.

Palm Beach Community College doesn't count as a college now? That sucks for all the PBCC alum, like Burt Reynolds and William Calley.

by RBH 2006-10-01 11:14AM | 0 recs
Why I love Dennis Hastert!

I love him...love him...

I used to think that he was nothing less that a jelly-assed, money-grubbing, pusillaminous, piece of human waste.

But now...

He's given us, by his total abdication of his clear responsibility for young people working in Congress, the....

Give that keeps on giving.

And so I still think he's...see above.

But I now hold him in a vast affection.

Way to go Dennis!

by Pericles 2006-10-01 03:36PM | 0 recs
Re: Foley's Farewell to the Departing Page Class o

how common is it for pages to bid in dinner with a congressman? if uncommon, who allowed these (institutionalized?) dinners with a predator? i certainly hope that Foley was not the only congressman that pages could bid on a dinner with.

by Matt in VA 2006-10-01 07:47PM | 0 recs
I live in Reality World

Everyday I see 16 and 17 year old girls pushing baby carriages down the street, and most of the time they are not baby sitting. As a society we care zip, zilch, zero about protecting teenage girls from older men. And people need to think long and hard about whether they ever dismissed stories of some teen age boy getting it on with the beautiful blond teacher with the thought "lucky dog".

Mark Foley deserves everything that is coming down on him and I fully intend to extract every bit of political mileage we can out of this coverup. But puhlease, more exploitation of children is happening everyday around your local high school than is likely happening on Capitol Hill.

Until as a society we get our brains around why it is a horrible travesty for an authority figure to hit on a sixteen year old, generally privileged white boy but just business as normal when black Tawayna, or white Darla, or brown Consuela show up at school preggers, we need to keep our inner outrage in check.

The crime here is the hypocrisy. Otherwise every adult who ever watched a high school cheerleader is guilty of child abuse. So feel free to cynically pile on to these assholes. But frankly I am crying more for 17 year old PFC Roberta whose convoy just got blown up in Iraq than I am for 16 year old Thurston Howell the VIth who had some creepy dude IM'ing him.

by Bruce Webb 2006-10-01 10:27PM | 0 recs