Ohio US Senate

Sherrod Brown's not runnin' for US Senate, bummer. It's either Tim Ryan or Paul Hackett. Very conflicting rumors on Ryan out there, as for Hackett, he's in it if it's available.

Tags: Democrats (all tags)

Comments

you sure? darn.. i hope Ryan or Hackett runs..
any other Candidates besides those two that can beat Dewine?
by Liberal 2005-08-17 04:24PM | 0 recs
Hackett is in if it's available?
I hadn't heard that. Has he said that?

One worry I have is that, if he does anything but return to Iraq, the Thugs will hammer him for breaking his word.

I dunno. This race scares me.

by Thresholder 2005-08-17 04:28PM | 0 recs
running in absentia
Running in absentia is fucking brilliant.

How can the GOP go negative? The candidate is protected from gaffes.

The 'roots will have to carry the campaign, but it will be good for 'em.

by Carl Nyberg 2005-08-17 07:29PM | 0 recs
Re: Hackett is in if it's available?
Flip-flopping on going back...that would backfire horribly on them. Especially since none of them went to Iraq.
by dole4pineapple 2005-08-18 05:56AM | 0 recs
Re: Hackett is in if it's available?
he said on Harball the other day. (i watch becuse there aren't to many politcal show left.) That he was considering a run so he isn't out yet.
by Liberal 2005-08-18 04:41PM | 0 recs
Re: Hackett is in if it's available?
Hackett said he'll go back to Iraq if his unit is sent back to Iraq.  So far it hasn't been to my knowledge.
by Lavoisier1794 2005-08-19 12:05PM | 0 recs
extremely disappointing
sherrod looked to have multiple factors in his favor. I know that this is not the first time he has stuck his toes in the water of running for higher office before retracting them at the last minute. i sincerely doubt it was an issue of internal polling that had him looking disfavorable against DeWine, so what was it?
by janfrel 2005-08-17 06:48PM | 0 recs
He Cares About Ohio?
Disclaimer:  I was rooting for Ryan, right from the start.

I'll admit I was very suspicious when Sherrod Brown started GrowOhio; I thought he was using it as a platform to launch his own career.

But if he managed to get Tim (Tagaris) on board, then there is a fairly decent chance that Brown is the idealist that others made him out to be and that he honestly does want to "Grow Ohio".

I personally am hoping that as things continue to heat up, Brown will be there to support all the Democratic candidates.  I've heard he has the charisma, and he has shown leadership within congress.

Expect to see him fighting on the front lines for Ohio Dems.

by RosenKnight 2005-08-17 09:03PM | 0 recs
Other than Hackett or Ryan
The chances of another Democrat beating Dewine are pretty slim.  Maybe Dennis Kucinich could win with a strong anti-war/anti-CAFTA sentiment, but I don't know if he can raise the nessecary funds.
by Painter2004 2005-08-17 07:11PM | 0 recs
DUDE!
That would rock!
by catastrophile 2005-08-17 07:19PM | 0 recs
Tim Ryan and Sherrod Brown
lack killer instinct.

Hackett gets the nod.

by Carl Nyberg 2005-08-17 07:27PM | 0 recs
Re: Tim Ryan and Sherrod Brown
Yes.  I have to agree with that.  We need the energy and truthfulness Hackett showed.
by larryrant 2005-08-17 08:08PM | 0 recs
Mike Coleman?
Current Mayor of Columbus and Gubernatorial candidate.  Coleman has no at beating Ted Strickland in the primary but he has a great chance at become a Senator.
by jkfp2004 2005-08-17 08:29PM | 0 recs
Re: Mike Coleman?
I'm quite interested in Hackett (not much interested in Ryan) - but I think this is a really intriguing idea. I think he could be a strong candidate.
by ScottC 2005-08-18 05:58AM | 0 recs
Ryan or Hackett
Of course, it doesn't look like Ryan will run, so let's hope Hackett gets in. Just think, we could have...
Sen. Paul Hackett (D-OH)

...sounds pretty good.

by dole4pineapple 2005-08-18 05:58AM | 0 recs
SHIT
Please, Ryan or Hackett, run!!!

The ominous thing is that neither Ryan nor Hackett seemed excited about going into it. Ryan said it's unlikely, Hackett said probably not. Brown was the only one who was really into it.

SHIT, SHIT, SHIT!!!

And DeWine/Taft/Blackwell/Bush is so unpopular!!!!

by raginillinoian 2005-08-18 08:35AM | 0 recs
Re: SHIT
With Brown out of the race, I have to believe either Hackett or Ryan is going to run. The reason they may have seemed unenthusiastic previously, with the front-runner out of the picture, its their race to lose. One or the other will and should run.
by AC4508 2005-08-18 09:20AM | 0 recs
Re: SHIT
now that Brown is out both Hackett and Ryan are probibly rethinking there plans right now.
by Liberal 2005-08-18 04:43PM | 0 recs
Nope
He has said he would make a decision and leave his TV show 18 months prior to any campaign.  That deadline has already passed for a 2006 campaign, and he did not resign.  He's out.
by Geotpf 2005-08-18 08:42AM | 0 recs
What about Kaptur?
Couldn't she run?
by Hannula 2005-08-18 09:26AM | 0 recs
Re: What about Kaptur?
Kaptur... my home district.

I wouldn't recommend her, especially after her quite vocal citicism of Clinton during the Lewinsky scandal... she was one of the few Democrats voicing for everything just short of resignation... "restitution" as she called it I remember.

No. I think Ohio State Senator Theresa Fedor would be a much better choice. She's a former schoolteacher from Toledo and, IMHO, she would be great as a US Senator.

But I like Hackett a lot too.... won't somebody make their announcement for candidacy so this Progressive can start helping out your campaign?!?

by T Dubya Ault 2005-08-18 10:51AM | 0 recs
Howabout Chris Redfern?
Minority Leader of the State House Democrats in Ohio. Just started a website that (at least to me) speaks of his desire to run for something statewide since he term-limited in his state district. Since I don't know that much about him specifically, anyone have any pros or cons about his potential?
by David Berger 2005-08-18 11:57AM | 0 recs
Re: Howabout Chris Redfern?
Chris would make a great Senator, but I think he's needed in one of the other statewide races.  He's a great leader and manager (unlike some of Ohio's current executives) and would be great in the watchdog position of State Auditor.  No way he would have let something like Coingate (even a smaller version of such) happen on his watch.

Check out his new website at: http://redfernforohio.com/.  He even has a blog option that you can post your comments about his potential run, and give feedback on his website, the issues, etc.

by sarahrose 2005-08-19 06:30AM | 0 recs
Hackett '06
Hackett needs to be the candidate.  And imagine if he's in Iraq, running in absentia.  How perfect would that be?  The Republicans couldn't run one negative ad without looking like what they are.  And Hackett could maybe film his commercials in Iraq, or maybe release a Cops-style documentary showing a day  there.
by MitchF 2005-08-19 05:04PM | 0 recs