Greedy Working Mothers

Rick Santorum writes of our terrible culture of greed:"In far too many families with young children, both parents are working, when, if they really took an honest look at the budget, they might confess that both of them really don't need to, or at least may not need to work as much as they do... And for some parents, the purported need to provide things for their children simply provides a convenient rationalization for pursuing a gratifying career outside the home." (It Takes a Family, 94) Of course, it is comments like these that will result in little Ricky becoming a stay at home Dad in Virginia. To help make that happen, you can visit one of the following sites:

Santorum Watch
Dump Rick Santorum
Out Santorum
Santorum Exposed

Let me know about other sites I may have missed.

Tags: Culture (all tags)

Comments

Virginia
Great Quote, but Rick is from Pa. not Va.
by tlongpine 2005-07-05 01:40PM | 0 recs
He is elected in and represents Pennsylvania
But he (and his family) actually live in Virginia.
by Geotpf 2005-07-05 02:52PM | 0 recs
Is that a Latin name?
Sorry, I've just had this in my head for hours, and it appears that I am going to have to make this juvenile post somewhere before I can stop thinking about it and move on. But then again, maybe some people here never heard this the first time and I can think of this as a public service. ;-)

Rick Santorum had only been in the senate for a few weeks when Bob Kerrey, then Senator from Nebraska, pegged him. "Santorum, that's Latin for asshole." It was probably the funniest line the grim Kerrey ever uttered and it was on the mark, too.

Searching for that phrase today, I discovered that someone even put it on a t-shirt...

by Renee in Ohio 2005-07-05 01:58PM | 0 recs
Well Tricky Ricky:
Unfortuantly we don't all make the $170 thousand or more you make and it does take both parents working in many situation, especially with the outsourcing of many of the higher paying jobs because of yours and other Republicans and a few Democrats support for descructive economic policies.

For instants my mother had to start working again, when I was a kid in 1990 because my dad lost his a production machine operator.

by Painter2004 2005-07-05 03:03PM | 0 recs
Society of Ownership = Society of Greed n/t
by goplies 2005-07-05 03:30PM | 0 recs
another
newly coined meaning of santorum which Dan Savage (gay writer of the popular Savage Love [sex] column) advocated for and spread:

"the frothy mix of lube and fecal matter that is sometimes the byproduct of anal sex" ...

though a person can easily say that name-calling is low, I also have to say that Santorum has easily made the stupidest remarks ever.

by Jcca 2005-07-05 04:19PM | 0 recs
I was a greedy mother!!!
I confess that I was one of those greedy mothers.  My husband and I worked so that we could eat and live in a home with our children, support my mother, and other family members.  Please forgive us, Santorum.  If we were only as good as you are!  Of course, we never sent our children to a charter school. You sent your children to a charter school while a Western Pennsylvania public school system paid over $100,000 in tuition for your children. Our family did not propose dropping the National Weather Service, as you did, to have a private firm (Accu Weather) and your political contributor be responsible for the weather for this country.
http://www.opensecrets.org/indivs/search.asp?NumOfThou=0&txtName=&txtState=%28all+states%29& amp;txtZip=&txtEmploy=Accu+weather&txtCand=Santorum&txt2000=Y&txt1998=Y&Order=N
http://www.opensecrets.org/indivs/search.asp?NumOfThou=0&txtName=&txtState=%28all+states%29& amp;txtZip=&txtEmploy=Accu+weather&txtCand=Santorum&txt2004=Y&txt2002=Y&Order=N
http://www.opensecrets.org/indivs/search.asp?NumOfThou=0&txtName=&txtState=%28all+states%29& amp;txtZip=&txtEmploy=Accu+weather&txtCand=Santorum&txt2006=Y&Order=N
by Marie Smith 2005-07-05 05:13PM | 0 recs
"sites I may have missed"
Chuck2006.com

Couldn't resist. :)

by PACollegeDem 2005-07-05 11:50PM | 0 recs
by KTinTX 2005-07-06 01:10AM | 0 recs
Wow!
Man, my father was right about him. Before I really followed politics, I remember catching Rick on the TV yammering about something. My father was reading a paper and every few seconds, he'd let a corner droop down so he could see the TV. Within moments, Dad's incredulous expression would turn sour, bottom lip curling, eyes squinting. Rick said something that drove me out of my tree and I said, "Who is this guy, Dad?"

"A mealy-mouthed son of a bitch," he replied.

If I had known then what I know now (read: man-on-dog), I would've laughed much harder at his description of him.

by Sizemore 2005-07-06 01:18AM | 0 recs