Open Thread

I am absolutely whipped, and I still have lots to do today. I wish there was such a thing as blogger weekends. Take the actions on Rove detailed here and here. Don't let this story die. Use this thread to post new aciton alerts and to tell the world what you have to say.

Tags: Open Threads (all tags)

Comments

Also
If you have soldiers in the family or are a soldier, send email here.  We're compiling soldier statements.
by Garemko 2005-06-24 11:44AM | 0 recs
action for today
click here to take action against john bolton via senator boxer's pac for a change.  please urge your senators to push bush toward picking someone else to go to the UN.  it takes all of 30 seconds. go do it!
by annatopia 2005-06-24 11:47AM | 0 recs
also, off topic, site suggestion
chris, could you try and get an "unrecommend" button incoporated into the mydd relaunch?  it would be nice if that button was there so that we could unrecommend diaries that are promoted to the front page. that would make room for other good posts to get on the rec list.
by annatopia 2005-06-24 11:48AM | 0 recs
Re: also, off topic, site suggestion
How can one be off topic in an open thread?  Wouldn't that be logically impossible?  :-P
by yitbos96bb 2005-06-24 12:35PM | 0 recs
NASA Open Thread and/or Archive
What about a NASA open thread and/or an archive for people like me that don't want to see NASA
spend $500 Billion on a one shot Manned  Mars Mission. There are other good programs that could use a boost.  irsouth2
by irsouth2 2005-06-24 12:08PM | 0 recs
Re: NASA Open Thread and/or Archive
Read Deception Point if you haven't.  Indirectly relates to your point and a good read.  By Davinci Code author Dan Brown.
by yitbos96bb 2005-06-24 12:36PM | 0 recs
Irregulars?
Chris, why don't you and Jerome pick up some irregulars here at MyDD for weekend posting like Kos does. You've got plenty of good diarists here you could ask to spell you.

Don't burn yourself out. We need you guys.

by michael in chicago 2005-06-24 12:29PM | 0 recs
Re: Irregulars?
I nominate Michael in Chicago and TurnerBroadcasting.  Two different points of view who generally write great thoughts AND are willing to logically listen to other sides of debate even if they don't agree with them.
by yitbos96bb 2005-06-24 12:37PM | 0 recs
Thanks
But I'd bet Chris has better to choose from.
by michael in chicago 2005-06-24 04:15PM | 0 recs
You're god damned right
Chris AND JEROME have better to choose from.  I'd really look deep into my soul and ask "Dear LORD!!!  What I'm doing wrong?!  What have I done to deserve this!?!?!" if someone suggested that I wrote as coherently as TurnerBroadcasting.
by NCDem 2005-06-24 08:37PM | 0 recs
I can't tell
if this is a slam on me, TB, or both!
by michael in chicago 2005-06-25 12:07PM | 0 recs
What?
What in the flying fuck are you talking about?  If you would... please pass the Pot required to read the petulent poetry perpetuated by TurnerBroadcasting's pathetic non-poetic "prose" (minus the alliteration)... I've never read more illegible, illogical blather in my life.  How can you "agree" or "disagree" with someone who can't put together a coherent thought?  And furthermore, pushes "enter" every 4th word?

If Turnerbroadcasting gets on the front page...

Actually, I'm not going to finish that thought, because right now, I'm kind of drunk... and I'm going to assume that I missed something, and you were being facetious.

Yeah, that's it.

by NCDem 2005-06-24 08:33PM | 0 recs
Re: What?
I like his writing, he does a good job and isn't a dick.

Also, Annatopia would be a good choice as well.

by yitbos96bb 2005-06-27 09:10AM | 0 recs
Past Irregulars...
Past "Irregulars" have really burned this site, and have been jerks.  I like it the way it is.  Tweak the diaries a bit, as suggested by annatopia and it'll be fine!  RESIST CHANGE... THE BLOGFATHER MUST LIVE ON AS-IS!!!
by NCDem 2005-06-24 08:42PM | 0 recs
Why Junior is so dead set against a pull out date
Maybe they do know where Osama is hiding and they do not want to capture him because that would give the administration even less of a reason for being in Iraq. Not that we should've ever been there.
Posted by Hank @ 6/24/05, 04:50 PM

You're right about that. It's the same reason will Junior is terrified about setting a date for the pullout too. He already said way back in 1999 that his plan was to not make the same "mistake" as his father by bringing the troops home. He figured as long as he could bog us down in a quagmire his could get all his Right Wing agenda passed by calling anyone who opposed him a "traitor" and thereby succeed where his father had failed.

by William Domingo 2005-06-24 01:18PM | 0 recs
1500 soldiers died for the Republican Party
They died so Bush and the Republicans could mangle medicare and savage social security and maim medicaid and upend unions and bully blacks and terrorize teachers.
by maximus7 2005-06-25 01:41AM | 0 recs
Another reaction to Rove
One other action we could do to counteract Rove is, every time he makes remarks like this, the Dem Party uses it as a fundraising vehicle.  If people give an "I'm a liberal and I care about this country!" donation every time Rove mouths off like this, it gives him one more reason not to.
by Mimikatz 2005-06-24 01:40PM | 0 recs
A dfferent take...
Although I do empathize whole heartedly with appeals for Karl Rove's termination or a retraction, what I believe really needs to be done by the Democrats in DC is to step up to the plate and call a spade a spade like Howard Dean has been doing. As I say in my post at my corner of the world, the Democrats should capitalize on the apparent (and morbid) ammounts of spare time the Republicans and their think tanks, War Pundits, War Preachers, and the 101st Fighting Keyboardists have when it comes to concocting their own self-serving "What Liberals Really Think" conspiracy theories instead of using that time to address more pressing issues. They should also point out the consistancy streak the GOP has with pushing these conspiracy theories out to the press whenever their leadership and competency is challenged. Lastly, the Democrats should launch a slimeball of their own by saying the Bush Administration and the Republicans wouldn't be having their leadership and competency questioned if they weren't wasting so much time concocting their "liberals think this - liberals think that" conspiracy theories. They've got the trifecta of power so there's no excuse for it. Stop wasting time being so paranoid and xenophobic about what's going on in the heads of liberals.

If Democrats in DC were to do this on a consistant basis and vow to never backdown, never appologize and never eat their own, Karl Rove and his cheerleaders would become unglued and run their mouths some more (Republicans can't resist the temptation to slime -- Durbin is proof of that), and in the end, Rove and his cohorts would be on a fastrack to an ass transplant. In fact, they'll probably need a tongue transplant, too, before they can ever regain the trust of the American people.

by Sizemore 2005-06-24 07:13PM | 0 recs
Will you join me?
I will tell you what will get progressive legislation passed.

We need a huge movement that will hit some Republican contributors in their wallets.

With your money you can influence what goes on in congress legally.

Consider this. What if suddenly next week 100,000 people called WALMART at 1 800 WALMART and told them, unless you can get the Republican congress to pass a TEN dollar minimum wage we will not buy from you and we will get our friends to call you and tell you that they will not buy from you.

This huge movement of people suddenly calling and telling Walmart that they will lose our money unless the Republican led congress does what we want will influence them strongly and it appears legal.

Will you join me?

by maximus7 2005-06-25 01:37AM | 0 recs
National Guard Service Overseas
It is my understanding that the Guard can be mobilized and deployed overseas by the Federal gov't under a state of emergency declaration.  Has there been such a declaration or can the various state gov'ts call their troops back?  And if there is such a declaration what is its duration and what other powers might the Federal gov't invoke under the state of emergency?  If anyone has a link that might help I would appreciate the info.
by Demo Dan in Dayton 2005-06-25 06:43PM | 0 recs