Biden says he'll run in '08

Joe Biden jumps in:"My intention now is to seek the nomination," Senator Biden, of Delaware, said on CBS television's "Face the Nation." He said he would explore his support and decide by the end of this year -- a sign the race may get off to an early and competitive start.

"If in fact I think I have a clear shot at winning the nomination, by this November or December, then I'm going to seek the nomination," he said.

Is there anyone here that wants to jump on Joe Biden's bandwagon? iirc, it was Jack O'Toole that was big on Biden in '04. I would guess that Biden feels like it's now or never. In my view, he's from DC, so he's out of the question-- pretty to-the-point litmus test eh?

Tags: General 2008 (all tags)

Comments

Biden
Not my choice.  Hems and haws too much.  Voted for the credit card bill.  Has dirty laundry from a prior effort (lifting a speech and trying to pass it off as his own).  Plus senators don't win.

People want change and he comes across as more of the beltway?business crowd.

by David Kowalski 2005-06-19 10:49AM | 0 recs
Maybe not President Biden...
But Vice President Biden?

I'm not a big fan of the guy, and don't particularly want him in either spot, but to me, it feels like he's running for Vice President, not President. He's getting his name out there, making noise to get noticed, but at the same time he's been talking up other people's candidacies more than his own. He called Senator Clinton "the overwhelming, prohibitive favorite" for the nomination (which is probably true right now), and, even more obviously, I noticed this on the DraftMarkWarner.com website:

"On a possible Warner run for the White House, Senator Joe Biden teased the February 5th Jefferson-Jackson dinner crowd with lines such as "My name is Joe Biden and I'm here to audition for Vice President of the United States of America" and even more obviously, "When I'm Mark Warner's Vice President."."

And this would make sense in a way. If an outsider governor from Virginia or New Mexico were to win the nomination, wouldn't they want a DC insider with recent foreign policy experience? That could be his thinking.

That's my thought, anyway. I could be wrong.

by Fitzy 2005-06-19 10:54AM | 0 recs
Obama's pretty much a lock for VP
He's definintely made certain he's done absolutely nothing that would make his name be considered remotely controversial whatsoever.
by afs 2005-06-19 11:07AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's pretty much a lock for VP
'08 is not Obama's time, he's too young yet. He should be eyeing '12 if the Dems lose the upcoming election, or '16 if they win.
by AC4508 2005-06-19 12:21PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's pretty much a lock for VP
Agreed
by Hannula 2005-06-19 07:35PM | 0 recs
Re: Maybe not President Biden...
VP indeed....at least he'd be Mr. Inside which the next President (who will be Mr. Outside) will need since it doesn't appear we will retake The Hill convincingly.

<sigh> One of many names....

(Obama, while a great speaker, hasn't shown us anything else and even voted in favor [I understand] of the BK Bill, hasn't the experience to be a heartbeat from the Presidency.)

by BigDog 2005-06-19 12:17PM | 0 recs
Obama's vote on Bankruptcy was Nay
This has been a persistent rumor that I fell for myself. Obama vote Nay on bankruptcy.
by Gary Boatwright 2005-06-19 12:43PM | 0 recs
Re: Maybe not President Biden...
NM's governor Richardson doesn't need a VP for foreign policy.  He was ambassador to the UN after all.
by schwompa 2005-06-19 01:43PM | 0 recs
BORG Collective named BidenBayhWarnerKerryEdwards
(Can you tell them apart? They even have the same haircut.)

"Freedom is irrelevant. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated."

by afs 2005-06-19 11:03AM | 0 recs
...I'll hop on the bandwagon...
I hate to make myself this unpopular in only my second comment on this site but... I'd be excited about a Biden candidacy.  You make excellent points that he's spent three decades in the senate - which serves as two strikes (Beltway and Senators don't win the White House)...  However, I think he can insulate himself from the Beltway charge... afterall he does live among his constituents.  Every day he rides the train to and from Delaware, not a car ride to a posh residence in Georgetown.  Plus, he's also got the foreign policy chops, being generally among the most consistent and clearest voice on foreign policy matters in the party.  He's got solid domestic policy background to use as well (he was Chairman of the Senate Judiciary committee, and we've already seen how often those sorts of issues come up)

Is he the perfect candidate for '08?  It's too early to tell.  I know he'll be looked at with skepticism on the netroots because of his comments regarding Dean of late, but I would humbly suggest that we not allow Biden to be judged solely on those comments or by the amount of time in the Senate.  He is a clear speaker, who has a way of relating complex issues in a straightforward manner.  I think he could be an excellent candidate, but I, too, could be wrong.

by Cam 2005-06-19 11:12AM | 0 recs
Everyone deserves one supporter.
Even Joe Lieberman still has one. Where is "liebermanlives" when you actually need him for once, anyway?
by afs 2005-06-19 11:17AM | 0 recs
How about those MBNA chops?
Let's get serious. No candidate who supports a military draft is going to win a Democratic primary. Biden's head is either in the clouds or impacted so far up Cheney's rectal cavity it would take a whole team of proctologists to pry it loose.

A military draft????

Somebody should tell Joe about the Downing Street Memo.

by Gary Boatwright 2005-06-19 01:11PM | 0 recs
Re: ...I'll hop on the bandwagon...

> I know he'll be looked at with skepticism on the netroots because of his comments regarding Dean of late, but I would humbly suggest that we not allow Biden to be judged solely on those comments or by the amount of time in the Senate.<

My first instinct was to reject him because of his unnecessary attack last week on DNC Chair Howard Dean.  But on second thought now that he is a de facto candidate then it is more acceptable for him to say "Dean does not speak for me."  A candidate can say that, but some other Democrat saying that sounds like the are being disloyal to the party.   So in a strange way what he said today puts his comments about Dean in a different context.

by Fred in Vermont 2005-06-19 01:22PM | 0 recs
Re: ...I'll hop on the bandwagon...
Remember, Dean's not the only prominent Democrat that Biden's bashed in public.

Among other things, Biden's on record as blaming Clinton for 9/11.

by Phoenix Woman 2005-06-20 06:32AM | 0 recs
Biden
needs to catch a clue.  He's not presidential material.
by cChalfonte 2005-06-19 11:18AM | 0 recs
I actually do like Biden
And I think he gets an unfair rap in alot of ways.  The whole plagearism thing was unfair in alot of ways, he had given credit to Neil Kinnock for the line about government giving people "a platform to stand on" many times before the speech in Iowa when he forgot to do so and John Sasso (Dukakis's main man) passed comparitive tapes on to the media to ruin him.

Having said that, while I think President Biden could probably do a pretty good job, I don't see any way he could get elected.  He might be a good pick as Warner's VP (he has foreign policy cred) but otherwise I don't see much excitement or anything coming from him.

by DZ 2005-06-19 11:18AM | 0 recs
Re: Biden sucks
Aside from greasing the skids for bankruptcy restrictions, being a warmonger who favors the draft and continuing to ignore the Downing Street Memo, he's my next to last choice for President, right behind Joe Lieberman.
by Gary Boatwright 2005-06-19 12:47PM | 0 recs
Re: Biden sucks
Personally, I don't see how he's any more of a warmonger than Kerry, Edwards, Hillary, or anyone else who voted to give Bush the authority to use force.  In the hands of the right president (like, say, Biden) that authority could have been used to truly get Saddam to cooperate.  Remember, he let the inspectors back in after the military buildup began - that strategy actually worked.  It's just too bad that the current administration didn't really care about that.

As for favoring the draft, I remind you that it is Democrats who continually reintroduce draft bills into the House as a way of making a point.  It's never gonna pass anyway, so why not use the issue to bring attention to the military's overstretch?

The bankrupcy bill thing was disappointing, and I'm a little wary of "what's good for the corporation is good for its workers" arguments, but credit card companies do employ alot of people in Delaware.  Just food for thought.

by DZ 2005-06-19 09:06PM | 0 recs
Why Biden?
Anybody else tired of the "been there, done that" crowd?  He ran in 1988 and didn't get anywhere (in fact he was embarrassed out of the race with the speech plagiarism).  Now, 17 years later, he wants to take another crack at it?  His time has passed, just like Gephardt's last year.

He brings nothing to the table as a VP candidate either, except maybe, maybe if Hillary is the nominee.  Even then I think Hillary would be better off with Clark.

by Double B 2005-06-19 11:19AM | 0 recs
I like Biden
He has the national security cred, needed to lead. I think his time may have passed but I could definatly see him as POTUS...definatly presidential material.
by jkfp2004 2005-06-19 11:31AM | 0 recs
Biden
I think we'll be routinely surprised how much support Biden has.  No matter how stupid or silly he is in words and issues, he's got charisma and power just sort of seems to wear well on him.  If he were less corrupted and had more support of the progressive wing, he'd be pretty formidable.
by tunesmith 2005-06-19 11:37AM | 0 recs
Re: Biden
If he hadn't sold out to MBNA, wasn't a warmonger who suppports the Iraq war and favors a draft he would almost be a Democrat.

Joe has already demonstrated he can be bought by MBNA. Who is he going to sell working Americans out to if he's elected President?

by Gary Boatwright 2005-06-19 12:50PM | 0 recs
I don't think so
I see little likelihood of Biden filling out a Veep ticket unless someone desperately needs some foreign policy credentials.  He definitely adds nothing to a Hillary ticket; maybe a Richardson or Schweitzer ticket but I can't see how either of them gets the nomination in the first place.  Geographically, he's  a zero.  He's articulate but is that enough?
by InigoMontoya 2005-06-19 11:58AM | 0 recs
Say it ain't so, Joe.
"I would guess that Biden feels like it's now or never."

I would have preferred "never," myself.

by Tod Westlake 2005-06-19 12:14PM | 0 recs
Re: Say it ain't so, BOTH Joes.
F*** both Joes (B and L).  Attack your fellow Dems in public, and no nomination, ever.
by JimPortlandOR 2005-06-19 01:22PM | 0 recs
Re: Say it ain't so, BOTH Joes.
Attack your fellow Dems in public and no nomination, ever.

Exactly.  Both Biden and Lieberman were committing public Dem-on-Dem crimes long before Howard Dean entered the picture.  Both bashed Bill Clinton just so they could advance their own careers with free face time on TV.

The Republican push for Clinton's impeachment was on the verge of dying when the oh-so-pious Lieberman gave them the "bi-partisan" figleaf they needed to keep it going.   If Lieberman were a Republican and had done that to, say, Richard Nixon or Ronald Reagan, he would have faced primary opponents.  He never would have been rewarded for his perfidy with a VP nomination, much less a presidential one.

by Phoenix Woman 2005-06-20 06:29AM | 0 recs
Re: Say it ain't so, Joe.

Bankruptcy and Biden are Evil

Joe Lieberman is Evil

I hope for and will support primary challenges to both of the Joe twins.

by Gary Boatwright 2005-06-19 06:29PM | 0 recs
Biden... hmmm
I'm ambivalent about Biden.  He's got the foreign affairs credentials, and unlike the commenter above, I do think he's "presidential," whatever that means.  I hope the Democrats come up with a good line of candidates to choose from.  '08 is our year, so we need to be very thoughtful in our selection...

by donkef 2005-06-19 12:17PM | 0 recs
Mixed Bag
Biden's (D-MBNA) not going anywhere in the primaries, but he is great Sec of State material. In fact I hear he was on Kerry's shortlist to replace Powell if he would have won.
But no way is he ready for a big national campaign.

So who's running so far?

Kerry
Edwards
Clinton
Bayh
Warner
Biden
Richardson

Damn...

by ben114 2005-06-19 12:32PM | 0 recs
Re: Mixed Bag
Let's hope Schweitzer and Feingold both enter the fray.
by Gary Boatwright 2005-06-19 06:31PM | 0 recs
Re: Mixed Bag
It's too early for Schweitzer, 2012 or 1016 are more likely. However, I am in agreement with you about Feingold.
by Hannula 2005-06-19 07:39PM | 0 recs
Oh shit
If Biden got the nomination, I might just vote for him, but I'd feel incredibly dirty.  There's no way I'd work for him.  The bankruptcy bill makes him worse than Lieberman in my mind.

And frankly, I don't want a candidate who voted for the war period.

by Abby 2005-06-19 12:33PM | 0 recs
Re: Oh shit
You can't blame him on that bill.  Many of the companies who benefited from it, are located in Deleware.  I'm not condoning his vote in anyway, but I'm just saying he had a reason to.
by jkfp2004 2005-06-19 12:44PM | 0 recs
Good for his state, bad for the country
I;m not impressed with that argument in his case. Its not like he would have lost his seat had he voted no. He could have shown himself to be independant (sort of "Sister Souljah" moment that every freaking conservative tells Democrats that they have to have).
by molly bloom 2005-06-19 12:52PM | 0 recs
Re: Oh shit
Sure. And Republicans have very good reasons for selling out to Halliburton and Big Oil and Big Pharma. Since when is corporate corruption OK if there's a (D) after your name? Biden is an MBNA sell out. The bankruptcy bill didn't do a damn thing for the people of Delaware. Biden was buying campaign contributions for his run for the Presidency.

Who will Biden sell out to after he's elected President?

by Gary Boatwright 2005-06-19 12:54PM | 0 recs
Re: Oh shit
I agree with jkfp2004's assessment.  Biden represents Delaware, not the United States.  And helping those companies located in the state is part of that.  It's a bad bill, but deciding Biden isn't your idea of a President based on one bill in the Senate is stupid.  There are plenty of other reasons his candidacy should be torpedoed (represents staid part of the party, too moderate, already tried and failed miserably, etc.).
by Double B 2005-06-19 03:09PM | 0 recs
With Holy Joe as VP, They'll Carry
Delaware and Connecticut. Get on the bandwagon early!
by DFATMA 2005-06-19 12:51PM | 0 recs
The Joe Twins Ticket!
They would probably get more Republican votes than Democratic votes.
by Gary Boatwright 2005-06-19 12:55PM | 0 recs
Wonder Joe Powers ACTIVATE!
Shape of... an elephant!

Form of... a credit card!

by afs 2005-06-19 04:46PM | 0 recs
As far as a National Security/Foreign Policy VP...
...candidate goes, I'd rather see a guy like Gen. Clark.  I think he'd have a much better understanding of what's going on out there than even Biden with his many years of foreign policy work in the Senate.  Plus, he doesn't have any black eyes on the home front with Senate or House votes for which he could be taken to task.

About the only thing that could be used against him from overseas is how long it took the forces under his command to somewhat clean up the Bosnia issue in the late 90s.  Even that, though, had fairly wide support from both sides of Congress (not always, but most of the time).

Just a thought.  I'm still waiting for some of the smoke to clear out there and find out who really is running.

by leifolson 2005-06-19 12:58PM | 0 recs
*Talking HEAD*, Extraordinaire,
is who Joe Biden is, IMO. Notwithstanding his recent
Dean remarks, I never found him to have
conviction on any matter except for continuing
his cushy Senate occupancy

His greatest accomplishment as a Senator seems to
have been the botched-up Anita Hill hearings. But,
then again, I could be wrong. If so, who will point
out 10 of the greatest bills (2 for each 6 year
term is not unreasonable) that he has authored 5 of
which made it all the way through. Heck, just let
me know if there even one important bill of his
that went onto to become a law.

Show me the Bills, Senator!!!

by NeoLiberal 2005-06-19 01:25PM | 0 recs
Re: *Talking HEAD*, Extraordinaire,
I mean authored and not "co-authored", "sponsored", and definitelt not the "supported
behind the scenes" crap that Kerry was sputtering
last year.

And, no, I am not a TROLL.

by NeoLiberal 2005-06-19 01:28PM | 0 recs
Re: Biden is *Talking HEAD*, Extraordinaire,
Here is my tentative list:

Prez list: Gore, Bill Richardson, Hillary
(in decr. order, but pick any)

Veep list: Dean, Bill Richardson, Obama,
Feingold, Mark Warner, Bayh (no order except
Dean being first, but pick any).

by NeoLiberal 2005-06-19 01:40PM | 0 recs
Which Party ?
He's not a bad choice for the Republican nomination.
by antiHyde 2005-06-19 01:35PM | 0 recs
George Bush
One this Father's Day one can dream, can't he?
by DailyDissenter 2005-06-19 01:35PM | 0 recs
Nope.
Just say no to Biden.

He's of the bankers, by the bankers, for the bankers.

by Sizemore 2005-06-19 01:40PM | 0 recs
Certainly not my pick
I do think Biden is presidential material despite his comments about Dean.  He is about as much of a foreign policy guru our party has, and he has always done well attacking Bush (giving him slight praise and then really go after him in the same sentence).  However, he is uninspiring and more of a senate relic than anything else.  I think he would make an excellent Sec of State or VP (though he doesn't add anything geographically significant to the ticket).  I've said it before many times on here and I'll say it again, Feingold should be our pick with maybe Richardson as VP, although richardson has some baggage from the Clinton Admin.
by schwompa 2005-06-19 01:41PM | 0 recs
Biden 4 Prez?
Not sure how I feel about this one.  I don't get the impression that he supports the draft so much as he is arguing that Bush has so illegitimized the Iraq war and the GWOT that to complete our military tasks we might have to use the draft.  That being said, I don't see the draft happening.  But to me it always seemed more of a lateral attack on the administration.  Did I miss something here?

On most foreign policy he sounds halfway decent to me.  I think his attack of Dean was laughable.  I just haven't heard anything cool come out of him on the domestic front.

In any event, it's way too early to be whipping your dick out for '08.  I don't see myself weighing candidates for '08 seriously until I see how we stand after '06.

If Dean does well and makes us some headway in '06, and if he does it with OUR kind of candidate... well the Democratic party might be a whol' 'nuther animal going into the primaries.

Personally, though... I just know that '08 is gonna be a BLAST.  God I hope I can get a job in NH after I graduate!

Anyway... Biden has obviously been strutting his stuff, jumping through his own imaginary hoops... trying to look moderate, whatever the hell that means.  It's all in good fun, I suppose.  Just take his ass-kissing w/ a grain of salt, I guess.

by teknofyl 2005-06-19 03:28PM | 0 recs
what does he have that others don't?
Similar to Bayh, I can't come up with one sellable quality Biden has that others in the field don't.  I am not really saying this rhetorically, if someone knows what he can offer please tell me.

One thing that baffles me is that people refuse to let go of the myth that strong foreign policy credentials get you into the white house. Same with the idea that a war hero is shoo in. since watergate the only time the candidate viewed stronger on foreign policy has won was '88 and I guess arguably '04. Its a shame but its true.

by dre2k5 2005-06-19 03:34PM | 0 recs
Re: what does he have that others don't?
Excellent, excellent point.  His foreign policy credentials aren't that good anyway.  He voted for the Iraq war.
by Double B 2005-06-19 03:39PM | 0 recs
Biden for president
Of MBNA.
by Paleo 2005-06-19 04:28PM | 0 recs
I've said it before &amp; I'll say it again:
Howard Dean for Prez, 2008 & 2012!
by triciawyse 2005-06-19 06:22PM | 0 recs
Re: I've said it before ...I'll say it again:
Yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes

Ooopsss... did I actually write that?  Sorry...

Ummm...

Yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes

Doh!  Sorry... won't happen again...

Seriously though, if we can find a way to draft the Dean-meister... I'm all for it... as long as we at least let him do the DNC thing through '06, then he can hand it off to a compentent person.

If only I hadn't left my cloning machine in Tina Fey's dressing room.  It was worth it though... I'm coming Tina-Fey-2, just a minute dear...

by teknofyl 2005-06-20 04:04PM | 0 recs
Biden for President . . . no
He might make a decent Sec of State, but I don't like his pretty conservative economic politics.
by Painter2004 2005-06-19 07:06PM | 0 recs
Biden for Sec. of State
The cabinet is the best place for Biden. His decades of foreign policy experience make him a prime candidate for Secretary of State in the next democratic administration.
by Hannula 2005-06-19 07:49PM | 0 recs
Funny.....
Biden No, Kerry No, Clark maybe, Edwards No, Hillary maybe,  Richardson maybe, Dean no, Gore no, Warner Yes, Bayh Yes, Kerrey Yes,  Bill Gates Yes.  VP Claudia Kennedy, Zinni, Boxer, Bill Moyers
by strrbr 2005-06-19 08:09PM | 0 recs
Clinton, Kerry, Edwards, and who Joe who??????
I think it is wishful thinking on Joe's part ... or just pure power drunkeness.  After his comments about Howard Dean, I'd most certainly work against Joe Biden because I fear he'd be just another LIeberman .... bad for the party, bad for everyone but Joe.
by ZennedJim 2005-06-19 08:27PM | 0 recs
Biden!
Sorry-no Senators.  And esp. a senator that made comments about Dean as he did.

His history would be no better than Kerry's and believe me every vote would haunt him.

Clark was not my first choice but he is clearly moving into many folks first choice now.

by lja 2005-06-19 08:33PM | 0 recs
Re: Biden!
Yes, for all of your reasons.

Biden has a history of public Dem-on-Dem crime.  His public dissing of Clinton is used as ammo by gleeful conservatives.  Same with Lieberman -- he's the guy who gave the GOP the "bi-partisan" cover they needed to continue their slow-motion coup attempt against Clinton.

by Phoenix Woman 2005-06-20 06:47AM | 0 recs
The Only Person that Declared So Early Last Time
...was Al Sharpton.

Can you imagine Joe Biden donning the FUBU and doing a rendition of "C.R.E.A.M"? Me neither. Hopefully the Senator comes up with a better schtick to keep us entertained between now and whenever he announces he's abandoning his bid on Larry King Live.

by risenmessiah 2005-06-19 08:40PM | 0 recs
It's never. n/t
by boadicea 2005-06-19 11:00PM | 0 recs
Biden
Is another "I'm a Democrat, And I'm Sorry" Dem.

I'm happy he's running; hopefully his candidacy will give the DLC something to talk about other than how bad the Democratic Party is.

by Kimmitt 2005-06-20 12:20AM | 0 recs
predictable
The thread here is pretty predictable ... If a Democrat does not match up exactly with what one believes to be a true Democrat, then he or she must be a Republican (ie, traitor).  Since when did supposedly open-minded liberals become enforcers of strict ideological purity and a knee-jerk reaction against anyone who stands for something even slightly different from "orthodoxy".

This attitude sounds like "You're either with us, or you're against us."  What's different from Bush and those who constantly argue that Lieberman, Biden, and anyone who criticizes Dean are bad people?  There is none.

Joe Lieberman and Joe Biden are better than any Republican in the Senate -- even a moderate like Chafee.  Replace them with Republicans (because they don't measure up or because, God forbid, they criticize Leader Dean) then Bush's majority gets larger and larger.  Bush and the right-wing have more and more power to push their agenda.

To paraphrase a great bumpersticker: "Think.  It's easier than being a self-righteous blogger."

by twyford 2005-06-20 06:24AM | 0 recs
Re: predictable
Biden and Lieberman got where they are by publicly bashing other Democrats -- and not just Dean.  (Do the names Clinton and Gore ring a bell?)  This not only shoves the party further to the right, it also shows Americans that Democrats refuse to publicly stand for or support their own.  If you can't be trusted to support your own, how can you be trusted to protect America and her people?

Republicans don't reward other Republicans who bash their own.  Democrats give them slots on presidential tickets.

by Phoenix Woman 2005-06-20 06:44AM | 0 recs
LOL
A Biden candidacy is absurd. More inside-the-Beltway moderation, message-stomping confusion.

Stick with MBNA.

by mysteve 2005-06-20 07:39AM | 0 recs
the Bob Graham of '08
don't get me wrong, I like Joe Biden, I think he's massively entertaining, but he is too crazy to be a serious candidate for President.
by johnny longtorso 2005-06-20 09:02AM | 0 recs
Re: the Bob Graham of '08
Unfair to Bob Graham! He may have been from Florida, but he is a real Democrat. He voted against the Iraq War resolution, by the way. Also against Bush's tax cuts.

I really liked Graham. To my mind, he wasn't a great speaker, but he'd been a governor as well as a senator, and he'd won five statewide elections in FL by big margins.

Shows how much I've got my finger on the pulse...I would have worked my ass off for Graham. I only joined the Kerry campaign (as a volunteer) after Graham dropped out.

by desmoinesdem 2005-06-20 09:17AM | 0 recs