Santorum Compares Dems to Hitler

Atrios:Once upon a time an organziation called Move On (or probably Move On Pac, forget which) ran a little ad creation contest. The initial submissions, of which there were many, weren't really screened by the organization, and a couple of them admittedly crossed the line by making Bush/Nazi comparisons. Those ads were yanked immediately by the organization, but are nonetheless used to this day by the liberal media to smear Move On as an irresponsible "extremist" organization." Santorum, via Raw Story:Some are suggesting we're trying to change the law, we're trying to break the rules. Remarkable. Remarkable hubris. I mean imagine, the rule has been in place for 214 years that this is the way we confirm judges. Broken by the other side two years ago, and the audacity of some members to stand up and say, "how dare you break this rule!" It's the equivalent of Adolf Hitler in 1942 "I'm in Paris. How dare you invade me. How dare you bomb my city? It's mine." Someone should tell Santorum about Godwin's law.

Tags: Senate 2006 (all tags)

Comments

rule of thumb
Same shit, different week.

Same comment, different right-wing idiot.

Santorum, by the way, ought to explain to millions of Americans whose families lost relatives in the Holocaust how he considers the Democrats to be like Hitler. Or maybe he was just, well, full of shit.

by desmoulins 2005-05-19 01:45PM | 0 recs
letter to Santorum
filed at www.senate.gov/~santorum

Dear Senator:

I was appalled to read that on the floor of the Senate you compared the Democrats to "Hitler" for their position on the rules concerning confirmation of judges.

You may not agree but it is simply insulting and disrespectful to the millions of Americans whose families lost relatives to Nazi oppression and to those who lost family members fighting against Hitler for you to compare your current debate to the fight against Hitler.

Comparing one's opponent to Hitler is a tactic clearly intended to inflame the debate, not find compromise.

As Senator Reid keeps insisting, the Senate is being "blown up" and changed permanently by this debate.  Your position is clear, Senator, but your respnosibility remains -- to calm the debate and seek compromise. Your appalling remarks on the floor of the Senate do nothing of the sort. You ought to apologize.

by desmoulins 2005-05-19 01:51PM | 0 recs
Hey Ricky!
"Ricky"

Wierd Al Yankovich..

You always play your conga drums, you think you got the right

You wake up little Ricky in the middle of the night

Stop shakin' your maraccas now and just turn out the light Ricky

[R:] I'm sick of Fred and Ethel always comin' over here
[R:] 'Cause Fred eats all our pretzel sticks and then he spills his beer
[R:] Why don't you serve your casserole and make them disappear Lucy

[L:] Oh Ricky, what's a girl like me supposed to do
[L:] You really drive me wild when you sing your babaloo
[R:] Oh Lucy, you're so dizzy, don't you have a clue

[R:] Well, here's to you Lucy
[R:] I love you too Lucy, too Lucy, let's babaloo Lucy

[L:] Hey Ricky

[L:] You're always playin' at the club, you never let me go

[L:] I'm beggin' and I'm pleadin' but you always tell me no

[L:] Oh, please honey please, let me be in your show Ricky, wah

[R:] You always burn the roast and you drop the dishes too

[R:] You iron my new shirt and you burn a hole right through

[R:] You're such a crazy redhead I just don't know what to do Lucy

[L:] Oh Ricky

[L:] What a pity, don't you understand

[L:] That every day's a rerun and the laughter's always canned

[R:] Oh Lucy

[R:] I'm the leader of the GOP

[R:] So here's to you Lucy
[R:] Let's babaloo Lucy, too Lucy
[R:] Everybody rumba!

[R:] Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

(with sincere apologies to Wierd Al)

by turnerbroadcasting 2005-05-19 02:27PM | 0 recs
How will the MSM handle this?
It will be interesting to see if Tweety and CNN think Santorum is making a pretty good point or if they even marginally criticize him.

I expect the rest of the MSM to ignore it entirely. Have any Democrats complained? Part of the problem is that the Democrats need to get a whole hell of a lot louder about complaining when shit like this is said.

The GOPers are just like little kids. If you let them get away with it, they just keep doing it and just keep on pushing the rules a little further. Harry Reid needs to stop being so damned polite and tell Santorum to go fuck himself.

If his religion prohibits profanity, he can always get in Santorum's face and ask him, "Do you remember what Cheney told Sen. Leahy? What he said." The Dems need a goddamn attack dog with a full pair of balls and a full pair of lungs.

by Gary Boatwright 2005-05-19 02:55PM | 0 recs
Godwin Law!
We win!

LOL! I love the Godwin's law mention.

by afs 2005-05-19 03:14PM | 0 recs
Video

You can see the video of Santorum here.

by Brian Hopkins 2005-05-19 03:17PM | 0 recs
Re: Video
I wonder when little Ricky's voice is going to change.

Maybe his odd ideas about man-on-dog action stem from the fact that he has yet to hit puberty.

by craverguy 2005-05-19 03:19PM | 0 recs
This might be a good job for Lieberman
If he could wipe that silly smirk off his face and show a little righteous outrage at the comparison, I might even have a kind word for him.
by Gary Boatwright 2005-05-19 03:30PM | 0 recs
If you are looking for a Jewish senatort to...
...express outrage for this statement, Boxer and Feingold are also available (amoung others).

Personally, I don't think that's neccessary-the statements are offensive and retarded on thier face, but that's par for the course for Santorum.

by Geotpf 2005-05-20 08:13AM | 0 recs
We could tell him about Godwin's Law...
... but it wouldn't help.

Quirk's exception: Intentional invocation of this so-called "Nazi Clause" is ineffectual.

by abramcf 2005-05-19 03:41PM | 0 recs
2006
The important questions are:

1.  Is his remarks being broadcast in Pennsylvania?

2.  How will this play in PA?
by ATinNM 2005-05-19 03:59PM | 0 recs
Pennacchio Statement
Via dKos
by michael in chicago 2005-05-19 06:30PM | 0 recs
Re: Pennacchio Statement
Hot Damn! That's exactly the type of Democrat we need to fight back against the Theocon fascists. I already used up my $50 monthly political contribution to Frontier Pac (which you just reminded me of and I haven't sent in yet).

For this kind of straight forward in your face confrontation, I'll cut a couple of corners and kick in another $20 for Pennacchio!

Has Casey mentioned anything about Santorum's statement? Has Casey said anything that criticizes Santorum about anything?

by Gary Boatwright 2005-05-19 09:22PM | 0 recs
Re: Pennacchio Statement
It would be my opinion for Casey not to comment on the subject Santorum has dug his own hole and I am not sure in the end he can get out of this one, I think it is best for Casey not to jump in on this one.
by THE MODERATE 2005-05-20 07:49AM | 0 recs
Re: Pennacchio Statement
Money quote from Pennacchio:
"As an historian of Holocaust-era Germany, I find Rick Santorum's comment to be offensive, divisive, and destructive.  Rick Santorum should immediately issue a public apology, and then retreat with conscience to consider the lasting damage he has done to the United States Senate and to the memory of 12 million Holocaust victims."
by Gary Boatwright 2005-05-19 09:30PM | 0 recs
by Coltrane 2005-05-19 04:28PM | 0 recs
heh-hem
As far as I know there is no parlimentary rule against fillibustering appointments of any kind, although I believe there might have been some informal understanding that it was not done or not done routinely.

However that understanding came about because the Senate was generally consulted (and it provided its advice) about such appointments, and agreements or compromises were reached if there was an appointment completely or largely unacceptable to a large minority, although sometimes these were put through anyway - however the option to try to block these through the fillibuster was available even if it was not used.

On the other hand having legislators - who write the laws of this country - who refuse to follow the rules of their own legislative body when it doesn't suit their political ends is beyond the pale.  This is not simply a parlimentary device or trick to try to get to their ends, which might engender some anger at its use, however being within the rules should be accepted - its a bald faced breaking of the rules of the chamber that exist as a framework on which to legislate.  If they want to change those rules the rules themselves include the methods to change them in accordance with those rules.  There is no way around the fact that once this is done a simple majority will take sole rule making authority in the senate - in contradiction to the rules as they exist currently, and those rules exist and have existed for centuries for very good reasons.

If the people making the laws of this country can't follow the rules of their body - where does this leave the citizen when looking to the laws, appointees, or treaties such people pass or accept.

by puppet10 2005-05-19 05:56PM | 0 recs
Which reminds me:
I hadn't heard this before, but some Dem Senator on the floor today mentioned that the Senate parliamentarian -- the guy whose job it is to understand procedure and advise the presiding officer on whether something is correct or not -- had come down against the Nukular Option.

Sure enough, it appears that the parliamentarian -- appointed by Trent Lott -- would oppose the move as out of order. Of course, he doesn't actually get any say in what goes on, but it's solid evidence that the Reeps are the ones casting precedent aside.

by catastrophile 2005-05-19 06:25PM | 0 recs
Santorum's
so-called "logic" must be as follows:

Democrats = Socialist = National Socialist = Nazi

I actually have a bigger issue with (usually) conservatives making Stalin/true socialist/communist comparisons because they're protected from Godwin's Law.

by BlueEngineerInOhio 2005-05-19 07:23PM | 0 recs
Re: Santorum's
Oh course the biggest irony is that Hitler gained the power he had because a majority party abused their power and subjected the minority to their tyranny.
by yitbos96bb 2005-05-20 07:43AM | 0 recs
The really sick part
is that the fundies have become SO overwrought about abortion that they really believe that Democrats are mass murderers of the innocent and that the Nazi comparison is apt.  Godwin's law has polluted their whole movement and, as head theocon in the Senate, Sanctimonious Santorum deserves a good deal of the blame for this.

Yoo bad he will be around for another year and a half.

by David Kowalski 2005-05-19 10:56PM | 0 recs
Especially hypocritical of Santorum when:
Republicans, including Santorum, had criticized Sen. Robert Byrd, D-W.Va., for comparing Republicans to the Nazis. Santorum called for Byrd to retract his comments and said they "lessen the credibility of the senator and the decorum of the Senate," The Associated Press reported in March.
by Painter2004 2005-05-20 09:48AM | 0 recs
If you can't stand the heat
get out of the kitchen. Everybody knows where the threat of fascism resides in Modern America, and it sure as hell ain't the Democrats.
by Paul Goodman 2005-05-21 07:04AM | 0 recs